PDA

View Full Version : Mirage Vol. 4 #17

DrSpengler
08-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Spoilers n' Sh*t

EXCELLENT issue. The best one I've read so far (even though I've pretty much just started).

Jim Lawson's art style has finally grown on me. His details in the Raph/Leatherhead battle were fantastic. Though it's a shame Leatherhead lost since I was rooting for him. They seemed pretty equally matched, however.

Love the references to the Rat King. With him being confirmed for season 4 maybe this is a hint that we might see him again in the comic. That'd be great. Don's predicament seems to either be getting worse or better. He figured out what those giant monsters are but now they're coming for him.

The Mikey/Regenta stuff is same old, same old. He's flirting with her, she's acting snooty but seems to like him etc. Get on with it! At least there was a fraction of action (rhyme!) in this issue and a little more tension between them.

And Leo's story was decent enough. Three Moon Jaguar appears to have killed himself, though it might be a trick. There's also a mysterious book involved that Karai doesn't want Leo to know about. The Necronomicon maybe? Yeah, didn't think so.

All in all, I thought it was a great issue. The Raph/Leatherhead fight stole the show, though.

PizzaPower
08-18-2004, 05:56 PM
man I can't wait to read the comic!!! I can't WAITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! :o

Jephael
08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
I heard I got another fan letter published in this issue, so I'm very excited to see that (as well as the storyline and everything of coarse)!

cqb101
08-18-2004, 09:59 PM
So it's out? Cool, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Aztec General
08-19-2004, 06:51 PM
First off cqb101 your avatar rocks!

As of the issue it was very good. The Don story is interesting and it was fun to see him destroy that spider. The Raph/Leatherhead fight was awesome and drawn very well. The Leo storyline continues to be my favorite of the series. Just what has the Foot been up to? What more can we learn about these warriors? The Mikey/Regenta storyline, I'll be honest I don't like it at all.

One pet peeve I have about this series is that it is moving extremely slow. I almost wish that Peter would devote entire issues to each storyline just so we can move them along a bit.

cqb101
08-19-2004, 07:07 PM
I just read this issue and I gotta say, it was mediocre at best. The fight between Raph and Leatherhead was cool at first but then it just got repetetive. The Mike/Regenta story is still pretty annoying and what seems fairly pointless. The issues are moving way, way too slow, too.

Triceraton
08-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah, it's moving a little too slow, but I still like it... I'm just left wanting more of each storyline every month. And we have to wait until #22 to find out anything else about April? That's almost another year from now. :|

cqb101
08-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah, it's moving a little too slow, but I still like it... I'm just left wanting more of each storyline every month. And we have to wait until #22 to find out anything else about April? That's almost another year from now. :|I know, which sucks because Aprils story was the one I was most interested in. I can't believe we have to wait two months for a comic that doesn't progress the story at all. :roll:

Leatherhead1984
08-20-2004, 08:59 AM
I heard I got another fan letter published in this issue, so I'm very excited to see that (as well as the storyline and everything of coarse)!yeah your letter is in their

impetus
08-20-2004, 08:05 PM
i noticed this in the last ish as well - how did Leatherhead get his eye back? Or is it a new eye?

(also, why has he not been shown hanging out with the oots yet, if he was so anxious to see them?)

DrSpengler
08-20-2004, 08:21 PM
i noticed this in the last ish as well - how did Leatherhead get his eye back? Or is it a new eye?

(also, why has he not been shown hanging out with thee oots yet, if he was so anxious to see them?)

His appearance was pretty random. Perhaps they're setting up a future arc or subarc that involves Leatherhead in some way. I doubt Laird would just have him show up out of thin air for a gratuitous battle with Mutant Raph and then have him vanish for another few years. I'm sure there's a reason for it.

twopinacoladas
08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
I didn't realize this issue was out yet... I have been out of town since teh 17th, I bought a bunch of back issues I have not been able to find... but I didn't see Vol 4 #17... I guess I will take a trip down to my regular comic book store tomorrow and see if it's in...

impetus
08-22-2004, 09:06 PM
spengs

i understand your above statement, but have no idea what it has to do with the questions I asked. :P

BTW, I love your site - hilarious stuff.

DrSpengler
08-23-2004, 09:03 AM
spengs

i understand your above statement, but have no idea what it has to do with the questions I asked. :P

BTW, I love your site - hilarious stuff.

Well, boiled down, I think they're going to explain why he was there later down the road.

And thanks.

VaughnMichael
08-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I really enjoyed this issue and I seriously think this cover has to be one of my fave of all time theres just something about it...I really enjoyed everything about this story....the only thing I really didn't like this time was the raph vs. leatherhead thing...don't get me wrong it's cool and all but I'd rather have the great stories lairds giving us then pages of punching.
it just seems very out of place with the current series to me.
but like you all said I hope it's explained more sooner then later.
what I'm wondering is who was that talking to raph? rat king? splinter? leatherhead?
great issue though one of my faves so far.
-Vaughn Michael

DrSpengler
08-23-2004, 12:43 PM
what I'm wondering is who was that talking to raph? rat king? splinter? leatherhead?
great issue though one of my faves so far.
-Vaughn Michael

There wasn't anyone talking to Raph in this issue. Unless you mean "Is the mouse done yet?" That line was from one of the people trapped with Don, referring to the mouse roasting on a spick. The reply was "Almost, should just be a few more minutes."

Unless someone talked to Raph in an issue I haven't read yet or forgotten about.

Straight-Edge
08-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Nope, I'm sure that's what Putrescent was talking about.

"Is the mouse done yet" was not a dialogue bubble in Raph's scene, it was a narration box, meaning it isn't connected to that panel. It's one of those comic conventions you just have to understand. A box means the words you are reading are not heard by the people existing in that panel. Anything in a circle, or cloud bubble are actually spoken or thought by characters in the scene.

Laird just used a very confusing narration box (located in the middle of the panel, instead of on the bottom, to indicate it's connection to the next page) to segue into the next section of the book, so things don't feel *so* disjointed.

That said, I think he failed miserably. Not that it's a big deal if the book feels like four different stories told one at a time, but if he was trying to make it *not* feel so sectional, he did a bad job of it.

For the story itself, I'm really growing to dislike this series moreso by the issue. For three bucks, I'm getting none of what I expect from a comic book. At this point, Mikey and Don really don't need to be in the book. Following Leo and Raph for 14 pages each for two issues would get these stories *told*, then we can rejoin Mike and Don, who's stories really are stagnant.

And I'm still not happy by the way Raph's been mutated, and I'm even more upset by Leatherhead's misrepresentation. The killer gator's supposed to be missing an eye. Even Image got this right. Image got Raph right too. And it seems the cartoon's going that route, so at least one modern version of the turtles is on the right track.

Jephael
08-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Picky, picky! I for one love the way Pete's been writing this series.
He's clearly drawing us in with the suspence of these situations and carefully timed out when each scenario reveals a new piece of information. My guess is all four stories will have come full-circle by issue #20; Patience is golden!

raphael_is_cool
08-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Got it today. Slowest issue yet. Didn't really move any stories along as much as previous issues. Leo's story got more interesting. That's all I can really think to say right now, not much to comment on

Buslady
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
finally got mine...it's ok...the big fight between leatherhead & monster-raph was cool, raph looks hurt in the sewers...looks like there's a chunk tore out of him or maybe it's just the wobbly lines..i dunno

mike obviously wants regenta but haha...i like how she bitched at him! hahah how dare you touch me! hahah! that'll turn his hormone factory off! haha!

Ooo Leo's going home...he might end up finding Raph ....

gawd, could ya imagine his look if he saw his bro like that? none of the guys know raph's all messed up.

raphael_is_cool
09-03-2004, 02:14 PM

(also, why has he not been shown hanging out with the oots yet, if he was so anxious to see them?)

Forgot to attend to this comment. I think in the big gap left open with Volume 4 Leatherhead probably might've met the utroms again and got a new eye (although contact would be hard since they only landed on Earth at the start of volume 4). I think there'll be a tales issue to cover that possibly

impetus
09-04-2004, 06:08 PM
yeah, I was wondering if it was something along those lines as well. Or, perhaps it'll be explained in the current series, like when Leatherhead meets up with the other turtles or the oots mention it, or something.