PDA

View Full Version : The Technodrome's Fifth Anniversary and New Site Design!

Krang
10-31-2004, 06:45 PM
On this day in 1999, Shredder and I officially opened The Technodrome on FreeServers (http://www.freeservers.com/) under the name "Krang and Shredder's Page," which means that today is not only Halloween, it's also The Technodrome's fifth anniversary! As usual, we have some updates to celebrate it.

First (and most noticeable) is a long overdue redesign! The site had been using the same design (with some minor modifications here and there) ever since we moved to TheTechnodrome.com in September 2000, and the coding and graphics were so outdated that it was beginning to bother me... :P I had begun to plan a redesign in mid-2002 (which was never completed), but recently I had some ideas that I was able to use in order to put together a new design in time for the anniversary. A few new features have been added, and most of what was on the previous home page is still there (although alot of it has been moved around), but some less useful items were removed completely (like "Today's Date" and the now useless HitBox). Also, as you have probably noticed, the only page that has been redesigned so far is the main page, but eventually all the other pages will be converted over to the new design as well. Well, I hope you enjoy the new design, and feel free to let me know what you think on the forums (http://www.thetechnodrome.com/forums/) or through email (http://www.thetechnodrome.com/staff.shtml).

Also, the forums (http://www.thetechnodrome.com/forums/) are now back up in a limited state. You can now read all the previous threads, but posting and registration are still disabled for now.

One more thing is that I also added a new poll! This new poll asks for your opinion on the new design as compared to the old one. Feel free to vote in the column to the right. As for the previous poll, 1552 of you (44%) voted Dimension X as your favorite location that the Technodrome was stuck in. The earth's core/underground came in a close second with 1338 votes (38%), and the bottom of the ocean came in third with 400 votes (11%). For the full results of this poll and all other previous polls, visit the Previous Polls (http://www.thetechnodrome.com/prevpoll.shtml) page under Information.

GK Punk
10-31-2004, 10:45 PM
This site design is too sexy.

10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
I also agree with Alison Chains. The site design fits very well with the site. It's well-structured, the color goes really well, and everything falls into place nicely. A great change to a well-designed website. Great job, Krang.

Machias Banshee
10-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Its a beautiful design, Krang.

The layout, just like PCF... which I always admired.
The Colors, Duke the colors!!! excellent use of blue... such a neat lil design with the title bands...

Its just all so... so...
professional..!

I love it. :D

(now we just need the mango emoticon... ;) *hides)

Jo Dawn
10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Love it, Krang. :) ...If you couldn't tell from me by now, lol. ;)

GK Punk
10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Its a beautiful design, Krang.

The layout, just like PCF... which I always admired.
The Colors, Duke the colors!!! excellent use of blue... such a neat lil design with the title bands...

Its just all so... so...
professional..!

I love it. :D

Yeah Krang you should swipe that from SK forums and add it here. Kameko already said its ok :)

Peanut
10-31-2004, 10:53 PM
I love the site design. It's just so slick.

Machias Banshee
10-31-2004, 10:59 PM
Yeah Krang you should swipe that from SK forums and add it here. Kameko already said its ok :)

ohh... what an event...! Not only do you get a new layout for the anniversary... you get a Mango for an Anniversary present!!

*plunks down a mango with a candle*

I love this forum... :D

KROW
10-31-2004, 11:18 PM
This is really great news. I am very pleased. I hope it lasts this time.

I promise I'll behave, too.

Thanks, Krang. Thank you very much.

((Yellow font is back....heh heh heh.....sorry. *ahem*))

NeoBix
10-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Sweeeeet!! I like it!!

Krang
11-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the comments so far, everyone! Glad to hear you like the new design. :)
Here it is: :mango:

BTW, a note to our news posters: Please PM me with a 30x54 icon (or a description of one) that can be used as your news avatar.

Orochi Chimera
11-01-2004, 01:06 AM
I was really used to the old design but this new design is welcomed change. It does look really slick.

Ryona
11-01-2004, 03:17 AM
*gasp!* It's beautiful, Krang! I like it alot! :anime:

Aww...you're a sweet dear to re-open the forums. Here, have a mango. :mango:

((*giggle* Yay! A mango emoticon! I love it! :D Heh, maybe a pocky emoticon would be cool too :tanime: ))

Anarky
11-01-2004, 04:28 AM
And I'm a mod. That's more news.

And Thank you so much for bringing my online home back up.

Dr. Doom
11-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Jesus christ, everyones av's and sigs are all weird and outdated...

Man...I haven't been here in a while...

Glad to see things are pickin' back up 'round here. I like the redesign as well.

Mecha Cow
11-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Not saying the old one was bad, but I like this one much better. Nice work.

Barkworm
11-01-2004, 06:58 AM
I like the new design! It's also cool to see some news about this place. :)

Kid Icarus
11-01-2004, 07:59 AM
I like the new design... It'll have to grow on me a bit more. Like Machias said, it just looks so professional.

:mango:

Demented Utrom
11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
It looks like it did before to me.

Anarky
11-01-2004, 09:10 AM
It looks like it did before to me.

you talking about the page or the forums?

KROW
11-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Well, we're talking about the main page mostly, utrom. The Forums are the same but the home page has a new design.

Anarky
11-01-2004, 09:12 AM
argh, god, the yellow font is back... :D

KROW
11-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Indeed. I feel it brightens the boards. Like one of these: :mango:

Anarky
11-01-2004, 09:26 AM
ARgh, why... me... all the yellowness. remember the thread yesterday? The Smiley code one? :D

KROW
11-01-2004, 09:38 AM
XD!

Yep.

LOL.......LMAO........ROFL.........OMG......

ThAt WaS oNe WeIrD tHrEaD, eH?

((Sorry.))

Machias Banshee
11-01-2004, 09:39 AM
:mango: :mango: :mango:

wheeee!! :tlove: Thanks Krang!

Oh man, Doom, you are so right about the aged feel of the place... its like.. an archaeological discovery... or a time capsule!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this up and running again.. :D

That Matt Guy
11-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I like it.

KROW
11-01-2004, 09:45 AM
I like it, too.

And Machias, you're just happy you got your million posts back.
:D

jestergoblin
11-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Very nicely done Krang! I feel it could use a giant eye somewhere but that's just me.

:mango: mmm... mango...

Machias Banshee
11-01-2004, 09:49 AM
:lol: Actually, I liked having only 300 posts... I kept trying to restrain my posting addiction.

But yeah... you gotta lot of work to do to catch up... :evilgrin:

KROW
11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
I would have been halfway there if the Forum Games didn't get deleted. :lol:

But yeah, I think I can manage getting as much as you seeing as how I got up to 2,000 in less than 3 months over at the GD.

:D

:mango: :mango:

Machias Banshee
11-01-2004, 09:57 AM
:lol: Psycho serial Spammer, you are....

most of mine were done in the RPGs.. if they deleted those, I'd have about 9000...

KROW
11-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Yeah? Well I think I can get up there if we bring the RPG from the GD over here. That would be quite fun. It would be quite interesting, too.

11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
I used to be the legendary spammer...now I'm nothing. :cry:

Anarky
11-01-2004, 10:04 AM
since when is being a spammer a good thing?

KROW
11-01-2004, 10:16 AM
I think I give spam a good name, even though most think that's impossible. My spam entertains and makes you want to go see a good movie or eat a PB & J sandwich or something.

Am I right? Just a little?

Anarky
11-01-2004, 10:23 AM
well, according to me, Spam never is a good thing. No matter if entertaining or not. You should ask somebody else with that.

Same thing with the yellow font. Don't ask me because I have a strong aversion against people trying to be unique or stand out and do everything different. And if you say "to brighten things up"... does this place need "brighting up" the day it resurfaces. isn't the place bright enough today

but don't ask me stuff like that. Just don't. I get pissed awfully quick with that stuff.

Wingnut
11-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Well this is just awesome! Glad to see the boards are up atleast :)

Splinter
11-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Geez, I feel like I was in a Utrom Cryotube. ;)

Nice to see the place at least partially reopened. The new design looks great, but I sorta preferred the old one. The new one looks too..... standard and typical. It looks like every other forum frontpage on the net. :(

Jephael
11-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Finally, the forums are back! Unfortunately, I lost all 11 of my topic reply notices (I had spent and entire week off the forums just before they were taken offline), so I'm pretty much at a loss for what I missed out on. Oh well.

azure turtle
11-01-2004, 11:02 AM
YAY!! Happy anniversary, Technodrome! Congrats to Shredder and Krang!! :tparty:

I love the new design. Totally awesome how the shades of blue stand out with the black background. Very, very cool. Great work, Krang! :anime:

:mango: Hey now... this looks tasty... :teek:

Machias Banshee
11-01-2004, 11:05 AM
*squeal*

:thyper: Azure!!! :thyper:

Its so good to see you alive and well...well, web-wise...

*gives Azure a Welcome Back :mango: *

KROW
11-01-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry, Anarky. I'll stop with the yellow font.

zkarlette
11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I really like the way it looks even better than before :D

and Happy Anniversary !!!!!!!!!!! I love this place

Anarky
11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
well, if you want to use it, do it. I mean, I am not the standard of all things. And just because I don't like it, doesn't mean, you should stop.

zkarlette
11-01-2004, 11:15 AM
HAHA my post are nothing here :lol:

azure turtle
11-01-2004, 11:17 AM
*glomps Machias*
'Tis good to be back. :D

I really dig how Krang moved the giant pic we used to see in the center of the page into it's own POTM section. It really meshes well with the quotes, stats, and the poll. I can't wait 'til the rest of the site is updated with the new look. It's gonna be sweet.

Peanut
11-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Jesus christ, everyones av's and sigs are all weird and outdated...

Yeah, I was noticing that too.

Ryona
11-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Uh...guys... This isn't directed to anyone in particular but, I don't think Krang wants us to start conversations here.

kyabetsu
11-01-2004, 11:56 AM
wow! :o

CONGRATULATIONS on 5 YEARS of DROME-NESS, Krang and Shredder!

and thank you for re-opening the site. :D

Leatherhead1984
11-01-2004, 12:39 PM
interesting redesign. what caused you to make all the big changes?

Splinter
11-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Uh...guys... This isn't directed to anyone in particular but, I don't think Krang wants us to start conversations here.
Don't worry. If things get out of hand, the thread will be locked. Right now I'm going to call it's ok for limited discussion to occur here. As long as it's kept somewhat on topic. In other words, related to the 5th Anniversary. If he didn't want some discussion going on, he would have locked up the post. :)

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-01-2004, 12:51 PM
WHY did the forums get shut down for over a month. WHY WHAT HAPPENED. DID PEOPLE GET OUT OF HAND. I ENJOYED POSTING MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS ON THIS AND HAVE GREATLY MISSED IT. I JUST WISH IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE DOWN FOR SO LONG. WHEN ARE THE FORUMS GOING TO GO BACK UP.

I love the new design. GOOD IDEA to update a 5 year old site. I WONDER IF THERE ARE MORE FEATURES ON THIS NEW DESIGN. THE NEW DESIGN IS MORE TRENDIER THAN THE OLD ONE.

Peanut
11-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Ease down on the caps pal.

KROW
11-01-2004, 12:57 PM
WHY did the forums get shut down for over a month. WHY WHAT HAPPENED. DID PEOPLE GET OUT OF HAND. I ENJOYED POSTING MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS ON THIS AND HAVE GREATLY MISSED IT. I JUST WISH IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE DOWN FOR SO LONG. WHEN ARE THE FORUMS GOING TO GO BACK UP.

I love the new design. GOOD IDEA to update a 5 year old site. I WONDER IF THERE ARE MORE FEATURES ON THIS NEW DESIGN. THE NEW DESIGN IS MORE TRENDIER THAN THE OLD ONE.

You shout an awful lot.

Krang shut it down because of useless threads and fighting. You should have joined Anarky's GD Forums if you wanted to post and state your feelings.

But take this as a sign that the Drome is coming back. It's better than nothing.

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-01-2004, 12:59 PM

You shout an awful lot.

Krang shut it down because of useless threads and fighting. You should have joined Anarky's GD Forums if you wanted to post and state your feelings.

But take this as a sign that the Drome is coming back. It's better than nothing.

I just have the tendancy to have messages in capital letters, that is just a habit. I tried to join the GD forums, but it would not log me on and I did not know how to join. I Really really wish I could have. I am just mad that the forums got shut down.

KROW
11-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Yeah. We were all a bit upset that it happened. But it's coming together and it's coming back. Have faith, my friend. We will see the Shire again! Er...I mean, the Drome. :goofygri:

Hannah
11-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh YAY!! The tdrome forums are coming back! :tgrin: :tlove:
I'm so happy!

Woah. Old Av and signess

JameO
11-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Very slick work Krang. Nice job.

Brodie
11-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Kinda weird, but the song "boys Are Back In Town" keeps playing in my noggin.

Kazari
11-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Glad you are bringing it back, Krang!! :)

Zachatello00
11-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Glad you are bringing it back, Krang!! :)
:nod: Yeah, it's good to be back!

Krang
11-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Geez, I feel like I was in a Utrom Cryotube. ;)

Nice to see the place at least partially reopened. The new design looks great, but I sorta preferred the old one. The new one looks too..... standard and typical. It looks like every other forum frontpage on the net. :(Of course you're welcome to your opinion, but I thought the new design turned out original, since I didn't copy anyone else's design (except Paradigm City a little, but that's also my own site ;)) and coded all the HTML and created all the graphics myself. Regardless, the old design was incredibly outdated and had to be patched up multiple times in order to keep it somewhat current, so I thought it would be better to give the site a much needed redesign instead of patching up the old one yet another time...

interesting redesign. what caused you to make all the big changes?Mostly the fact that some aspects of the old design really bothered me (the quality of the images, the layout of the main page, the coding (SHTML and Perl instead of PHP), etc.) and I felt that our 5th anniversary would be a good time to update it.

Don't worry. If things get out of hand, the thread will be locked. Right now I'm going to call it's ok for limited discussion to occur here. As long as it's kept somewhat on topic. In other words, related to the 5th Anniversary. If he didn't want some discussion going on, he would have locked up the post. :)Yeah, everything is ok so far, but if it gets out of hand, the thread will be locked.

WHY did the forums get shut down for over a month. WHY WHAT HAPPENED. DID PEOPLE GET OUT OF HAND. I ENJOYED POSTING MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS ON THIS AND HAVE GREATLY MISSED IT. I JUST WISH IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE DOWN FOR SO LONG. WHEN ARE THE FORUMS GOING TO GO BACK UP.You can check out The Technodrome GD Forums to find out why the forums were shut down. And the forums will be back once we can update the software (I'm still waiting for the new version to be released).

Nturtle
11-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Oh wow. I literally danced with joy at the sight of the new frontpage. Much to the ire of everyone around me in the computer room here, oh well. :goofygri:
It really makes me WANT to write t-drome news again. (Maybe I even will 8) )

Nice work Krang dude, its good to be back home :D

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-01-2004, 05:47 PM

You shout an awful lot.

I just have the tendancy to have messages in capital letters, that is just a habit. I tried to join the GD forums, but it would not log me on and I did not know how to join. I Really really wish I could have. I am just mad that the forums got shut down.

Could someone please lead me to the post of the TEchnodrome GD Forums of why the forums were shut down. I am still upset that the forums have been down in nearly the last 6 months. I still love the new design. The old design was starting to look stale. What date did the forum got shut down and why couldn't I log onto the Technodrome GD Forums.

Krangfan
11-01-2004, 05:57 PM
:D I love the new site design! Congrats on a totally awesome page!!!

Plus I'm also glad to be posting on the forum again. It was something I missed. :)

KROW
11-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Could someone please lead me to the post of the TEchnodrome GD Forums of why the forums were shut down. I am still upset that the forums have been down in nearly the last 6 months. I still love the new design. The old design was starting to look stale. What date did the forum got shut down and why couldn't I log onto the Technodrome GD Forums.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/thetechnodrome/index.php?showtopic=433

There ya go.

As for the logging on problem, contact Anarky.

cormano
11-01-2004, 07:36 PM
looks greatů now hurry up with the forums ;)

FireFly
11-01-2004, 08:11 PM
got that right

damnhooligan
11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Really glad to see the forums up and running again, and the new site design is just icing on the cake. Bravo.

Peanut
11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
WOAH! DH! Where the hell did you come from!?!

11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
damnhooligan?!

Oh man!! Good to see you back!

GK Punk
11-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Always great to see DH Back!!

Brinatello
11-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Hey, everyone! It's really 11:45 p.m. where I am not 12:45 a.m. Can't change the time zone yet because the Profile page is down. No worries. I'm just glad to see the Technodrome is back up! :)

ThirdMarioBro
11-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Woah, this came out of nowhere. THANK YOU KRANG!

It feels great to have the drome back again. It's been a rough year, but it came back together. Mark my words, we will take care of this place now. It's too special not to.

You really should be commended on your patience with everything. I've never seen anything like that on any other forum. Jusr remember we'll all always be there to support you.

Love the new design. It looks much more modern and professional. You really outdid yourself on the design. Awesome job Krang, very awesome.

Thank you again for bringing it back. :)

raphael_is_cool
11-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Woo, it's back :D

Buslady
11-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Looks good. I like a neat and clean appearance, this has it.

Kali
11-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Excellent! It feels so great to be back. Love the new look of the site, very sleek. Looking forward to the rest of the forums opening. (There goes all my free time! :lol: )

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Excellent! It feels so great to be back. Love the new look of the site, very sleek. Looking forward to the rest of the forums opening. (There goes all my free time! :lol: )

I agree with this comment. I would like to have the forums back very very soon, like tommarrow if possible.

WIll this site have more pictures in the image gallery because of its update. I just wish the arguing and fights never happened.

GK Punk
11-02-2004, 11:56 AM
The chance that the forums will be open tomorrow are very, very slim. We're waiting for the next software upgrade.

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-02-2004, 01:04 PM
The chance that the forums will be open tomorrow are very, very slim. We're waiting for the next software upgrade.

HOw long will that take. I just hope it is soon. I just miss the forums big time.

That Matt Guy
11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I think Krang said possibly late 2004 or sometime in 2005 on the GD forum.

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-02-2004, 06:17 PM

Ok, how in the world do I logonto the new forums, the one that says GD forums.

Jo Dawn
11-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Go here, dear. http://s7.invisionfree.com/thetechnodrome/

Register. ;) :)

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-02-2004, 08:38 PM

Ok, how in the world do I logonto the new forums, the one that says GD forums.

Thank you. I have now figured out how to get into the new forums. But when this forums is back up, will they move all those messages onto here? I just wish I knew how to get into the forums earlier.

Krang
11-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Thank you. I have now figured out how to get into the new forums. But when this forums is back up, will they move all those messages onto here? I just wish I knew how to get into the forums earlier.No, the messages from there will not be moved here, but the GD forum will remain up as a permanent backup for this one.

ThirdMarioBro
11-02-2004, 10:54 PM
That's good to know. It adds a sense of security. The two parts have kinda become one now. T-Drome, T-Drome GD, and SK. Forum trilogy.

Kid Icarus
11-03-2004, 02:14 AM
I fully agree with keeping the GD as a back up, just incase things go sour here again *knocks on wood*.

twopinacoladas
11-04-2004, 12:16 AM
Site looks great! 8)

Chewie
11-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Yeah, Site looks very professional, that`s something (don`t be angry) that disturbed me earlier 8)

But you should have taken "green" as basic Color, not blue :D

Peanut
11-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Blue is more of a Technodrome type colour. Green is turtle associated.

Jo Dawn
11-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Blue is more of a Technodrome type colour. Green is turtle associated.

That's just what I was gonna say!! ;) :)

Chewie
11-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Allright, allright ..........

I surrender :D

KROW
11-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Hmm...

I was thinking more of a silver color myself....oh, well.

The Lone Turtle
11-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Wow, the Technodrome is finally back up and running. Love the front page design guys :D

And congrats on your 5th anniversary :)

KROW
11-08-2004, 01:49 PM
It's a typical situation
In these typical times
Too many choices
Everybody's happy
Everybody's free
We'll keep the big door open
Everyone will come around
Why are you different
Why are you that way
If you don't get in line
We'll lock you away

Happy 5th Anniversary. Here's to another 5.

Krang
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Just as a note, all discussion of the incident that happened in this thread has been split here (http://www.thetechnodrome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12070). This thread is about the anniversary, so please keep discussion of that incident out of this thread.

Machias Banshee
11-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Coolies.. thanks Krang..

So, what design layout do you have in mind, once you get the software? Something similar to present? Or maybe something similar to the PC forums?

Krang
11-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Coolies.. thanks Krang..

So, what design layout do you have in mind, once you get the software? Something similar to present? Or maybe something similar to the PC forums?The colors will probably match the new design, but I'll definitely reuse some of the classic images from here (the emoticons and maybe the folder graphics). As for the rest of the design, it depends on what default graphics we get with vBulletin and if they would need to be altered or not...

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
11-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Coolies.. thanks Krang..

So, what design layout do you have in mind, once you get the software? Something similar to present? Or maybe something similar to the PC forums?The colors will probably match the new design, but I'll definitely reuse some of the classic images from here (the emoticons and maybe the folder graphics). As for the rest of the design, it depends on what default graphics we get with vBulletin and if they would need to be altered or not...

I love the color scheme, but it I don't understand why it wasn't changed in other places. I am just corious about that.

The old color scheme on the opening page was starting too look stale for a while. I cannot wait however to see what you do on the 10TH anniversery of this board. IT will probably have some comendoramdom or soemthign like that and be changed again. GOod gob on the color

sign DAn Fife

Machias Banshee
11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
ohh... if this place lasted another five years, that would be Great... :D

Jo Dawn
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Agreed. ;) :)

KROW
11-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Definitely. Heck, I'd stick around. There's no way I'd ever forget this place, what with the nice folks I've met (you know who you are).

HorseTechie
11-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Oh hay... I'm also liking this new look for the Technodrome. The style is more modern-techno, like how the Paradigm City website looks. Very cool! :D

Deathknight
01-10-2005, 07:20 AM
I just noticed something. If you go to any other portion of the site it goes back to the old design... is that a glitch or something that just hasn't been updated yet?

Krang
01-12-2005, 01:45 AM
I haven't had time to convert the rest of the site to the new design yet, but I'll be working on that gradually. Until then, I'll leave all the old graphics and scripts up so that the pages with the old design remain intact.