PDA

View Full Version : CGI Film in 2007?

Buslady
03-17-2005, 08:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16474&item=5963799702&rd=1

look at this poster...read:

CGI Movie In 2007

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Is this for real or did someone make a booboo??? Or is this a buncha intact male bovine excrement?

BaldMonk
03-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Depending on the magazine, it could just be some kind of CG magazine where people can shocase works etc... but you never know.

Vegita-San
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Dunno if this has been posted yet...

A friend of mine saw an add in Variety that stated a CGI film was coming in 2007. I emailed Dan Burger about this, asking if this was the mo vie news mentioned in Issue #18(?) But so far havn't gotten a response about it...

Here's the reply I got concerning the add..

> Hey, thought you might find it interesting that in yesterday's Variety
> there was a full page ad of Leo in shadow with "Congratulations Teenage
> Mutant Ninja Turtles! 20 Years and Still Shelling it Out... $600 Million
> Retail in 2004... CGI film in 2007"
>
> I'll try to take it home and scan it for you if you haven't seen it yet.
>

Sanjuro
03-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Doubt that is fully true. Laird has stated that he enjoyed the style of the LOTR films and wanted to do somthing like that.

Personally I would not like full CGI, but if it came between no movie or CGI of course I would give in.

OA
03-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Yea, Buslady posted on this earlier today with an ebay auction for the ad poster...

Ad (http://www.technodrome.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11983)

LionO
03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Ummm, thats interesting. Shows that TMNT is not only still going strong but that confidense and popularity in the franchise hasn't even reached in peak.

marleynaki
03-17-2005, 02:25 PM
i hope this poster will be true!! :D

is in the front of the web site...

http://www.ebay.com/

TheShowstoppa
03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't hope it will be true. The anime type of action is great now for a movie. CGI would be too overdone and be tacky. Live action is and always has been the way to go for a TMNT movie. The comic movies anymore are not CGI, why the F*ck would you want TMNT to be?

Sorry for the outburst people, but this whole TMNTCGI **** really pisses me off.

on another note, don't believe ANYTHING without hearing it from Pete, Dan or some of the guys out at Mirage.

ZariusTwo
03-17-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't hope it will be true. The anime type of action is great now for a movie

Shows like Beast Wars and even utter crap like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within have proven CGI is far from "tacky".

Tigershard
03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Shows like Beast Wars and even utter crap like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within have proven CGI is far from "tacky".

FF: The Spirits Within was not utter crap. The movie was very alienating to many western viewers because the themes were extremely japense in their ideology/philosophy.

I do agree though that CGI is not tacky. Look at Shrek and Shrek 2. Most of the special effects in Spider-Man 2 were CGI. Have you seen introduction to the PC game World of Warcraft? That CGI is more amazing than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

TheShowstoppa
03-17-2005, 08:00 PM
What I'm saying is: For a movie like this, complete CGI would be tacky. A TMNT movie should NEVER be CGI. Ever. Did you see the clips for the CGI show... it wouldn't have worked.

As for effects, I'm all for CG, just as long as they don't go OVERBOARD! I think it would be great to see what they can come up with with a mixture of CG and live action effects... Those possibilities are ENDLESS! It almost makes me cream my britches thinking about it!

CGI is not tacky in whole, but it would bother me to no extent if this movie was CG. Even though I'll go see it no matter what, I say NO To CGI in 2007... which my signature will soon show!

Jester
03-17-2005, 08:10 PM
How old was that CGI though, with today's tech the TMNT in CGI could look a whole lot better....

Demonfox38
03-17-2005, 08:13 PM
That old CGI trailer had to have been from 1996-1998, maybe. Technology has expanded a lot from that time, but it'd still seem weird to see the turtles in CGI. Unless it was something like Live Action + CGI (Star Wars?), it'd probably be strange to see the entire thing animated that way.

Either Live Action or Cartoon's probably the best. It's what we're familiar with, and a change in medium might be poorly exicuted.

PizzaPower
03-17-2005, 08:31 PM
it would be nice to see a tmnt movie in cgi, but it does not mather to me as long as we get a new movie.

Vegita-San
03-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Direct reply from Dan Burger

>>I'm afraid I don't know - I haven't seen the ad, so I don't know who
placed it. The folks Peter is working with on the script are shooting
for a 2007 release, so it could be legit.>>>

OA
03-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Direct reply from Dan Burger

>>I'm afraid I don't know - I haven't seen the ad, so I don't know who
placed it. The folks Peter is working with on the script are shooting
for a 2007 release, so it could be legit.>>>

Hmmm..thats interesting...you'd think that Dan would be a bit more in the loop if it was in fact true...unless, he's not supposed to divluge anything before Pete's officially informs eeryone...

Spitfire
03-18-2005, 12:03 PM
CGI turtles are fine I guess. Kids in this generation cant appricate a guy in a rubber suit doing ninja moves any how. They might as well CGI the turtles or atleast make they costumes look really good like LOTR good. The costumes in TMNT 2 were still awesome though. Just dated. I hope they do make a movie Ill go see it hell

Lioness-Goddess
03-18-2005, 01:55 PM
CGI turtles are fine I guess. Kids in this generation cant appricate a guy in a rubber suit doing ninja moves any how.

I'm a kid in this generation, and I happen to like the rubber suit turtles a lot!
I'm not really sure how they would pull this off though. However, CGI has come a long way. Ya never know.

cowabunga14
03-18-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea to do the movie in CGI cuz theres so many limitations and problems with CGI. Jim Henson's Turtles for the first movie were great. He really did a spectacular job bringin' the TMNT to life. New Line should do the movie so its live action. Live action is great because the actors just suit up and get out there and do there thing. CGI can be frustraring and the VA's might be worse then Townsend Coleman's Mikey's VA when he sounded like a girl. Live action is great cuz its live and the movie'll be better if its live action. CGI is ok but I live action is better cuz then more people'll see it. If the movie's live action then the Turtles should be based off of Jim Henson's designs. That'd be great.

raphaelprime
03-18-2005, 07:56 PM
im not sure a complete CGI movie would be all that great, but now if they had it look as nice as Shrek, Shrek 2, Ice Age, and Robots look, then i might cave in, but yeh, as mentioned above, if its like the show that never made it, ill prolly be a lil dissapointed...but i think it would be so much better n be a bigger a hit if it were to be more like Spidey and Spidey2....on a side note to a post above, FF: Spirits Within, had some nice CGI(maybe not quite as good as some parts of the latest 2 games, IX and X but still nice), and BeastWars was a classic with the CGI cartoon. but those are my thoughts..and im not sure if it'll be a CGI movie, but ill wait till mr. Laird gives more info on it in a future issue of TMNT.

Duke
03-18-2005, 07:57 PM
CGI can be frustraring and the VA's might be worse then Townsend Coleman's Mikey's VA when he sounded like a girl. Live action is great cuz its live and the movie'll be better if its live action.They would use voice actors if it was live action or CGI.

Buslady
03-19-2005, 11:34 AM
well I want real people in real suits with awesome voice actors.

*chants 'josh pais, josh pais...'*

but if they decide to go full CGI...look at the incredible technology we have today, it would be well done..I don't think, well i hope not, that Peter would allow crappy cheap looking CGI (beastwars& other CGI daily cartoons). I thought if we got CGI, it would be simply the current toon guys, with the same dark look and voice work...but then, throw some darker themes and maybe a little romance ;-) for one certain friendly neighborhood turtleman...and they could put out a decent flick.

But overall, I want costumed actors.

PizzaPower
03-19-2005, 11:37 AM
I hope that it is both. But I would love to see it in the costumes more now that I think about it.

John 14:6
03-25-2005, 10:12 PM
I would prefer CGI Turtles simply because we've already had costumed actors. I really like a lot of CGI series (Beast Wars and (to a lesse extent) Beast Machines, War Planets, Reboot, Spider-Man, etc.) and a TMNT CGI movie could be great if done correctly.

BigApple3AM
03-26-2005, 10:09 PM
I have to see suits, CGI for the jumping accross buildings is fine, but the main street fights need to be all live action. TMNT suits would not look dated anymore due to all the progress made. CGI still isn't perfected yet and you would totally be able to tell the turtles are cgi and it would almost ruin the movie. People get pissed when they can tell when somethings fake. Examples are Spider-man 1 and Catwoman.

You mention the Shrek movies, those work because they are ALL Cgi. If the turtle movie was like that well it would be cartoony and you can guarantee a PG release. Personally I'm sick of Turtles being limited to cartoons, I want a true film with at least a PG-13 release like the first movie but a little grittier. (I think the first movie was lucky to get away with a PG release). Personally I think the first movie has held up extremely well and Jim Henson did an excellent job with the suits back then. Now the suits can be blended with CGI, it might be hard but that's what these people get paid for.

Concerning the old CGI pilot remember that it was just that, a pilot. They didn't have huge amounts of funds to pull from so it was very basic and limited. Plus it was back about 5 years ago.

On an off note, this is pathetic guys, everyone who is here should sign up and give it the 10 it deserves:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100758/

tOkKa
03-29-2005, 06:22 AM
-->> .. dunno what ta think n' it makes my head spin.. but you guys..this might be real !!

http://www.terrible2z.com/coleco-wh0rehouse/TMNTs/donniespin.gifhttp://www.terrible2z.com/coleco-wh0rehouse/TMNTs/donniespin.gifhttp://www.terrible2z.com/coleco-wh0rehouse/TMNTs/donniespin.gif

..some guy sent this in from Gamers Edge (http://www.gamerz-edge.com/news/articles/032805Turtles.html)
http://www.gamerz-edge.com/news/media/kmunroe.jpg

Can't get enough of the Turtles? Kevin Munroe is going to give you more.

Imagi Services President and CEO Tom Gray announces the signing of Kevin Munroe to write and direct a new CGI-animated feature-length Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will ramp-up their booming revival with an animated film that will take advantage of new technology developed since the last Turtles film was released in 1993. Now in pre-production, the film is targeted for U.S. release in spring 2007.

Kevin Munroe has done extensive animation work during the last decade including video games, television series, and original comic books. He has worked in developing both the writing and design of animated projects for companies such as Disney, Warner Bros., Cartoon Network, WWE, Fox Kids, The Henson Company, Kids WB, Dark Horse Entertainment, IDW Publishing and Nickelodeon. Besides working in all aspects of production design and storyboarding on shows such as Nickelodeon’s “Hey Arnold!,” Munroe also created, wrote, produced, designed, and directed the CGI Christmas special “Donner” for ABC. His projects have been optioned by Walt Disney Feature Animation, Stan Winston Studios, and Brett Ratner’s Rat Entertainment in addition to co-writing another Imagi feature, Cat Tale. Munroe’s writer/director deal was negotiated by Gray and Alan Grodin of Weissmann, Wolff, et al., and Brent Weinstein of UTA.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have enjoyed over 20 years of success in the U.S. and around the globe. Having shot to mainstream popularity with hit TV series, top grossing films, number one selling toys and enduring comic books, the property has generated over $6 billion in revenue. The first of the three live-action films grossed $135 million domestically, setting a seven-year box office record for independent releases. Today, the new hit TMNT TV series is in its third season with a fourth set to run through 2006 on 4Kids TV (formerly Fox Box) and the Cartoon Network in the U.S. In addition, the show is broadcast in major markets throughout Western and Eastern Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Australia.

The new TMNT film will be produced by Tom Gray (who guided the first Turtles trilogy through production) and Galen Walker of Imagi. Executive Producers are Francis Kao, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst, and Peter Laird, who co-created the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Kevin Eastman. The picture deal was conducted by Gray and Walker of Imagi, Grodin of Weissmann, Wolff, et al., Richardson of Mirage Licensing, and Fierst of Fierst, Pucci & Kinder.

We'll have more on the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film as it becomes available! Stay tuned to Gamerz-Edge.

--Steve Schardein :o

BartAllen
03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
well if they do, do a CGI. maybe the turtles will take there bandanas off in this new movie. I hope the next flick is like the original movie. with out all the cheesy pizza stuff.

GK Punk
03-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Well so I guess it's pretty much confirmed then, eh?
I'm looking forward to it, even if it is CGI (Not my favorite medium) the only thing I don't dig is that I just realized I'll be 27 by the time the movie comes out :(

Voltron
03-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm excited that there's a new movie coming out, but like some have said, I am not thrilled at hearing about the CGI. I just don't think it makes for a good movie on most occasions. I have been swayed by some films though, so you never know.

John 14:6
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Well so I guess it's pretty much confirmed then, eh?
I'm looking forward to it, even if it is CGI (Not my favorite medium) the only thing I don't dig is that I just realized I'll be 27 by the time the movie comes out :(
It's no big deal, I'm 27 now :D

FALLEN ELDOR
04-07-2005, 03:20 AM
I wonder if it will tie in with the current cartoon, continue off the older movies or be a new thing outside of any previous form.

Peanut
04-07-2005, 05:00 AM
If it doesn't tie into any of the other storylines...I hope like hell we won't have to go through the whole introduction process again. April meeting the turtles and what not. I'm sick of that. As for it being CGI, I can't say I'm happy about it. I'll deal with it, and go see it, but I'd rather have it live action or traditional animation.

ThirdMarioBro
04-07-2005, 07:34 AM
As for it being CGI, I can't say I'm happy about it. I'll deal with it, and go see it, but I'd rather have it live action or traditional animation.

Same here, but I can live with it.

cowabunga14
04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
I wonder what Steve Barron and the two other guys that directed the other TMNT movies think of a TMNT CGI film. Its a weird transition goin' from live action to CGI. Elias Koteas would be involved if the movie was live action. He was a great Casey Jones. Hopefully this movie will be as good as the first one. James Saito was a great choice for Shredder in the first movie. I wish the guys that played in the first movie would return to voice act for the CGI film. That'd be totally rad if they did.

dejawolf
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
cgi? i dunno, from what i see, the turtles in the new cartoon already looks like CGI with a cel shader applied. (3d that looks 2d)
futurama was already 100% CGI.

ZariusTwo
04-11-2005, 04:14 PM
cgi? i dunno, from what i see, the turtles in the new cartoon already looks like CGI with a cel shader applied. (3d that looks 2d)
futurama was already 100% CGI.

No it was'nt, it was a blend of 3-d and 2-d animation

Facts. Get them right.

dejawolf
04-13-2005, 05:04 AM
sorry. well i mean the vehicles, backgrounds, and almost everything except for the characters were CGI.
but i think you should go an watch "the incredibles" or any other pixar movie before passing on a final judgement on CGI.