PDA

View Full Version : How was the TMNT serie on TV before?

Pusimjau
03-22-2005, 05:01 PM
As you can see, I am from Norway, and I begin to be a fan when I saw the series on cartoon network. I don`t know if it was series in Norway before, I can`t remember.
How was the older series? Please answer, I am very interested.

OA
03-22-2005, 06:40 PM
First welcome to the Technodrome!!!

Hmmm..how to explain the older series...well, for one, it was NOT as serious as the current series is (esp. the last episode "Same as it never was" if you saw it, you know what I mean...). It was alot more playful. The turtles all wore completely different colors on all bands/pads instead of just the headband being different in this series (i.e Raph wore all red, Leo wore all blue, etc.). The main villians were Shredder just like in this one, but there were also a mutant warthog and rhinocersous named Bebop and Rocksteady. Finally there was Shredder's "boss" Krang, who looks alot like the Utroms in this show.. Just like in this show, there were a host of other characters, some good and some bad...and one cannot speak about the old series without mentioning their absolute love/fascination with the food pizza...

Um, im sure im missing a ton of stuff but that about sums it up I guess. Oh yea, Splinter was there also, along with Casey and April (who was a TV news reporter in the old series, not the lab assisant). Baxter was around as well though originally as a white scientist (instead of black in this series) who later was mutated into a giant fly. Leatherhead was there too and I'm sure im missing some other characters....anyways, hope this helps!!

:D

John 14:6
03-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah, there's a lot to cover. It was quite a bit different but I still loved it as much as the new series. IMO it was the first action cartoon to also successfully be a comedy (at least at first). I was used to GI Joe and Transformers that were so serious. TMNT cracked jokes and goofed off yet still had a lot of great action.

There were a couple aspects of the story of that series that I like better than in this one (not that I would EVER change them for this new series).
First, Splinter WAS Hamato Yoshi. He mutated from a human into a rat instead of a rat into a humanoid rat. This makes more sense to me as I find it unlikely for a rat to retain all the ninja training he witnessed his master perform. Also, there were episodes that featured Splinter missing being a human.

Shredder was not an utrom. He and Yoshi had a history in Japan and I think this made for a better rivalry than we have now.
As mentioned, Shredder did have an accomplice namde Krang, who was a brain without his body and looked like an utrom on steroids. He finally did get a robotic body early in the series. He was brilliant, but he wasn't sophisticated like the current utroms. He would gurgle when he talked and was pretty much helpless without his body. I thought it was an interesting twist having an evil leader who was actually so helpless.

That's all for now :D

ZariusTwo
03-25-2005, 11:22 PM
As you can see, I am from Norway, and I begin to be a fan when I saw the series on cartoon network. I don`t know if it was series in Norway before, I can`t remember.
How was the older series? Please answer, I am very interested.

Well, to begin with, the original series was toned down significantly, Shredder was selected to be the main adversary, forever establishing him, (he was previously a recurring villain from the comics) as the Turtles' primary nemesis in every show afterwards, he was aided by mutants such as Rocksteady and Bebop, the Foot Soilders were not real ninjas, but cyborgs, and his greatest ally was Krang, the disembodied brain of a warlord from Dimension X...who just happened to look like a Utrom, but was far from one himself.

The original series remains the longest running so far, some would also say it's the most definitive, despite being inaccurate in many ways, but it blended great story arcs and characters with pretty good comedy.

There was also a two part OAV Anime version of the franchise (based on the original cartoon) and a second, live-action series...but you don't have to know about that one :lol: