PDA

View Full Version : RIAA/MPAA against VCR recordings?

Raph's Girl
04-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Got this in my e-mail from somebody I know in the video recording industry....Apperantly Hollywood is now after people who record movies and tv shows on their VCR's....oh heavens....will it never end?! :o

Issues & Agendas:
Whaddayamean I Can't Tape That HD Show?

Could you be dragged away in chains by the feds for taping a high-definition television show at home? Perhaps, especially if the hardliners at Hollywood's motion picture studios get their way.

The controversy over how consumers may use digital content is now before the U.S. Supreme Court. A key issue centers on the 30-year-old "Betamax Doctrine," the legal foundation that allows home viewers to freely record
and watch legitimately acquired entertainment programming.

Now, just in time for the HDTV era, the studios*who detest the Betamax Doctrine--are again trying to limit the rights of home recordists, claiming
it's too easy for high-value programs to be pirated and traded over the Internet. More severe restrictions on digital rights could have
far-reaching implications for producers. Imagine your future HD production tied up hopelessly in red tape because you need to secure new clearances on all the content now commonly used as "B-roll" program elements.

The case (MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd) targets the legality of peer-to-peer (P2P) Internet sites, where content is often traded. The
justices are expected to decide whether such sites are illegal or simply a modern version of the VCR.

Beyond the studios and major content owners, there is little support for reversing the Betamax Doctrine. The Consumer Electronics Association, the backer of the huge annual CES electronics show, calls the doctrine "the foundation of this nation's explosive technological growth over the last 20 years." It is mounting a major fight to keep the doctrine.

Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association, called it "the most important case before the Supreme Court this year. Betamax is the Magna Carta for everyone who enjoys their iPods, TiVos, personal computers, and most of the products you see at CES."

Many observers see the case as a battle over the future of entertainment content distribution. At stake is the current closed distribution monopoly
held by the movie studios and music companies. New technologies, represented by peer to peer file sharing, threaten those monopolies.

The Supreme Court heard arguments in MGM v. Grokster last Tuesday, March 29. A decision is expected by summer.

ThirdMarioBro
04-07-2005, 10:35 PM
They're not gonna e happy til the consumer is hog tied and told what to watch and when to watch it.

Oh, and MGM didn't start this 30 year old sh*t til Sony bought them.

Spitfire
04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I'll stop recording stuff off TV when these morons start putting every show I like to watch on DVD.
TV Fun House *NOT ON DVD*
The Tick *NOT ON DVD*
The Maxx *NOT ON DVD*

I rest my case

Raph's Girl
04-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Which The Tick are you refering to??? The Live action series or the animated series??? The Live action series is on DVD.

What's The Maxx???

Sewer Bull
04-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Hmm, does it mean the only VCRs you coud buy soon in the US would be these with disabled recording function?

Dane E5R
04-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Those would be VCP's, and not VCR's.

Tigershard
04-08-2005, 07:18 AM
I have two ways to solve this issue:

Broadcast companies need to start providing online content. I'm not at home when my all my favorite shows play. That doesn't mean I should have to pay to see them once they come out on DVD. If I could just watch the current weeks episode of 24 on Fox's website, I would have no reason to download the show.

I think one of the main issues these companies have is commercials. They get paid for having these commercials, that is how they make their money on the show. Let people trade the shows online as long as they have to somehow watch the commercials. I know this is annoying for the consumer, but I think the trade off is worth it. Forcing people to watch commercials may mean that in there is an advertising bar similar to a news ticker on CNN.

Spitfire
04-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Which The Tick are you refering to??? The Live action series or the animated series??? The Live action series is on DVD.

What's The Maxx???
The animated series, The live action was god awful....The Maxx was a moic book that MTV Studios did a mini-series with and it was pretty cool. I wish they put it on DVD it's on VHS but who wants that?