PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Believe Is The Most Popular Turtle?

Shadow Leonardo
04-17-2005, 12:42 AM
I think it's a toss up between Mikey and Raph.Though I am a Leo fan.

azure turtle
04-17-2005, 01:08 AM
That's a hard question to answer, since each turtle has a loyal following. :ohwell:

Seurat
04-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Though Raph's my personal fave, I'm probably betting that either Mike or Leo's the most popular. Generally, I believe that Mike and Raph are mostly liked for their comedic value (Raph's sarcastic quips and Mike's goofy antics), while Leo and Don are mostly liked for getting to "play with all the cool toys" (Leo's got his advanced ninjitsu and weapons, Don has his technology), and thus each duo represents half of the equation that made Turtles a hit - comedy and action. But why Mike and Leo as the bigger representatives? First of all, their faces are plastered almost everywhere you see turtle stuff (With Raph close behind and Donnie, sadly, dead last). Second, while Mike and Raph both represent the comedic portion of the show, Raph's jokes may be a bit over younger kids' heads, while Mike's humor has a broader/younger range (Visual gags, constant talk of pizza, and a humorous surfer voice). Similarly, although Don has some pretty cool tech, if a kid likes the action portion of the show better than the humor portion, odds are he'll go for the most action-oriented and least funny turtle around - Leo.

remain in light
04-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Mikey's always been a favorite amongst the youngsters. I'd say he's the most marketable turtle if not the most popular.

Oddly enough, several of my gay male friends cited Donnie as being their favorite when they were growing up. :teek: :tanime:

LionO
04-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Poor Donny :( , I'd say Leo, Ralph and Mikey.

TheShowstoppa
04-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Though Raph's my personal fave, I'm probably betting that either Mike or Leo's the most popular. Generally, I believe that Mike and Raph are mostly liked for their comedic value (Raph's sarcastic quips and Mike's goofy antics), while Leo and Don are mostly liked for getting to "play with all the cool toys" (Leo's got his advanced ninjitsu and weapons, Don has his technology), and thus each duo represents half of the equation that made Turtles a hit - comedy and action. But why Mike and Leo as the bigger representatives? First of all, their faces are plastered almost everywhere you see turtle stuff (With Raph close behind and Donnie, sadly, dead last). Second, while Mike and Raph both represent the comedic portion of the show, Raph's jokes may be a bit over younger kids' heads, while Mike's humor has a broader/younger range (Visual gags, constant talk of pizza, and a humorous surfer voice). Similarly, although Don has some pretty cool tech, if a kid likes the action portion of the show better than the humor portion, odds are he'll go for the most action-oriented and least funny turtle around - Leo.

Unfortunately, when you're a youngin, kinda like I was when the turtles were around back in the day, you want one thing preferred over another. Most adolescent kids will choose either Leo or Mikey. They will quip with Mikey because he's the fun-loving, wise-cracking turtle. They don Leo's colours because every child wants to be the "leader." Raph, most older kids prefer because he's the hot-head. He acts before he thinks, and most teens understand exactly where that comes from. The outsiders of the groups tend to choose Donny because it shows them that even the geek can make a big impact. Unfortunately, the first two are directly most aquainted with 6 - 11 kids, and the latter half tend to be associated with the 12 and above. For a while, when I was younger, I loved Donny because I tended to be the geek and no one liked me. Then, I started to take my own leadership and began to understand why I liked Leo. (Though, ages 7 - 11 I dressed as EACH ninja turtle for Halloween!)

Personally, now, from an artist's viewpoint, I understand now why I love all of them. They work perfectly together. I won't go too far into it, because this is a post for another thread!

Zachatello00
04-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Raph and Leo seem to be the ones with most merchandise after them. Which really suprises me because You'd just think it would be mike.

OA
04-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Well Leo doesnt surprise me cuz hes the "leader"..raph i can agree with..but maybe its more of a preference for the color red over orange...?

Mr. Stay Puft
04-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Mikey and Leo. Almost everyone I know loves either Mikey or Leo. That, and just look at the classic TMNT: Season 2 cover. Who's on it? Mikey and Leo. And Mikey's on the actual disc for season 1. Doesn't bother me because Mikey's been my favorite since I was 3, and I turn 21 on the 27th.

Oddly enough, several of my gay male friends cited Donnie as being their favorite when they were growing up. :teek: :tanime:

:lol: I always joke around with my gay friends about Don being the gay turtle just because of his bandana color (purple) and his choice in weapons (a bo staff, or as I put it, a big, long, wooden shaft). :P It's kind of similar to the whole Tinky-Winky thing with the Teletubbies.

TheShowstoppa
04-17-2005, 12:58 PM
:lol: I always joke around with my gay friends about Don being the gay turtle just because of his bandana color (purple) and his choice in weapons (a bo staff, or as I put it, a big, long, wooden shaft). :P It's kind of similar to the whole Tinky-Winky thing with the Teletubbies.

*Falls over laughing!* You know Peter Laird would have rolled over in his grave if he were dead now, wouldn't you? FOR SHAME!!!!! ;)

darthsmozers
04-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Dang it, I thought it came out THIS week. :ohwell: oh well, i can wait another week.

Coola Yagami
04-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Of the classic series, Michealangelo. Every thing Ninja Turtle-ish from the surfer speak, the pizza, the Cowabunga!! and all that is what most people remembered from the older TMNT series, and all that came from Mike. Hell, Mike even appeared in that Cartoon All-Star to the rescue anti-drug special.

PizzaPower
04-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I think it is Mike. And I have a feeling that Donatello is hardly popular at all.

aramconbrat
04-17-2005, 11:38 PM
I absolutely loved Donatello as a kid (was a bit of a science-y kid) but followed closely by Mikey. Mikey just has an appeal with his humour that the kids related with...

Overall Mikey is probably the definate favorite but you kinda need all the Turtles to get a rounded set of characters. But I will forever be loyal to my love of Donatello... Loved him, loved purple, loved his cool inventions... Donatello overall has the potential to come with some pretty darn cool accessories!

Spitfire
04-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Mikey....virtually everyone I have ever talked to about turtles besides people here name Mikey or "The orange one" as their favorite turtle. I guess because he jokes around alot. If I ever hear Raph hes a 2nd favorite

Ryona
04-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Definetly Mikey in the old series. With out a doubt. Mikey was the symbol and icon of the TMNT back then. Kids just love him, and why not? He's so adorable. :)

In general though, speeking for all the TMNT universes, It's quite clear that Leo is the main turtle.
I'm not sure if it has something to do with him being the leader and weilding the ninja trade-mark weapon, the katana... but I do know that he's always in front of the boys in about 90% of the comics and merchandising.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/Ryou-chan4ever/artobiography.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/Ryou-chan4ever/KabayaLeonardoModelMISB1a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/Ryou-chan4ever/RPG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/Ryou-chan4ever/030301_toy.jpg

Lioness-Goddess
04-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Well, I dunno about the old series, I never got a chance to see it.

In my opinion, among li'l kiddies nowadays who watch TMNT, it's probably Leo.

But among everyone else, I have to say Raph. Even though he's not my favorite, I believe he's the most popular. I mean, I can't even go for one day without seeing Raph angst fanfiction or something.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-18-2005, 07:39 AM
In terms of people's most favourite turtles, i think it's between Raph & Mike, closely followed by Leonardo. In reference to someone who said that Raphael's humor some kids might not get, he has always been my favourite turtle because of the voice, cracking jokes to ease the tension, and i may not of got all his jokes.

Michaelangelo is probably the most influential turtle on popular culture. For example, people who know little about the TMNT, but have heard of it or lived through that time when they were popular. The things to come to mind is "cowabunga" which is Mike's catchphrase, pizza where Mike is more obsessed by it than the others and the surfer talk "hey dudes" and stuff. Proof of that is Bart Simpson has used cowabunga, which you know is borrowed from the TMNT.

Lioness-Goddess
04-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Also Michelangelo is easiest to remember for some reason. I mean, everybody knows they're named after artists. But I had a hard time remembering Don's and Raph's names when I started to get into the turtles.

Seurat
04-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Of the classic series, Michealangelo. Every thing Ninja Turtle-ish from the surfer speak, the pizza, the Cowabunga!! and all that is what most people remembered from the older TMNT series, and all that came from Mike. Hell, Mike even appeared in that Cartoon All-Star to the rescue anti-drug special.

Oh yeah... I remember that... *Happily drifts off into memory lane* I'm a sucker for both nostalgia and crossovers...

marleynaki
04-18-2005, 09:49 AM
i think all turtles are popular... the 4 turtles together is the best... :D
but if i pick one is raph or maybe mike,..

Dane E5R
04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Overall, I'd probably say Michelangelo is the most popular, with Raph and Leo tying for second.

dejawolf
04-18-2005, 10:39 AM
don is my #1 fave turtle, and raph comes a close second.
just loved all the techy stuff that he came up with in the original toon.
back when i started watching the toon, i didn't even know they were named after rennesaince artists, so to remembers leo's name, i thought about leopard.

and yeah, i've always been the big geek.

chilly
04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
I think Leonardo is the most popular followed by Mike and Don .

The Stryker
04-20-2005, 12:01 AM
People Remember Raph's Look and then Remember Mikey's Lines the cowabunga and Pizza dudes and such

XERO
04-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Michelangelo is the most popular, Leonardo the most public, Donatello the most obscure, and Raphael the most verbal.

R-iZZy
04-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I think Raph is the most popular, simply for the fact that everyone I know that's a closet TMNT fan always confess their admiration for Raphael. That goes for real life and on other message boards. I started a Ninja Turtle loving faction on a hip-hop board, and there were supposed to be four people to lead (each as a turtle). I got Don easily, because he's always been my favorite since the original cartoon series... but damn, you wouldn't believe how big the war was for someone to take Raph's spot. It was insane!

I think Raph's popularity (the new series Raph) stems from the fact that being "gangsta" is the "in" thing, and everyone associates Raph with being gangsta (ridiculous, I know). Everyone always says he's either "gangsta" or "hardcore". And this is an admirable trait, why? Sure, you easily get the girl, have no remorse for killing foes, and easily get what you want.... but what about having enough intelligence to create an infinite variety of gadgets?

The Stryker
04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Raph is Gangsta, son! Raph is the only turtle i see Packin' Heat

R-iZZy
04-21-2005, 09:49 AM
^ :tlol:

Werd!!! Duke is crazy, son! I seen him rollin' through the hood the otha day and put holes in this cat, 'til he looked like Spongebob, son! He rolls deep, son!

Let me stop before they send the mods on us...

Edit: Just noticed something... even our emoticons have nothing but Raph!!! But if we're going by the original Mirage turtles... then I've made a dumb observation.

hazlov2004
04-21-2005, 10:10 AM
im a leo fan cause he is my fav oh and raph too

Pusimjau
04-23-2005, 03:57 AM
I think Raph is the most popular of the turtles, then we have Mike, my favorite :D

willdawizz
04-24-2005, 01:33 AM
i wouldhave to say mike based on my kindergarten classmates back in 91..mikes the reason why to this day my favorite color is orange. i cant get enough of him. i recently bought a mutant military mike loose sitting on my desk and a carded one cuz he was my first turtle ever.

Shark
04-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Seem's like Mikey is, even though there used to be more Raph stuff out there than anything. Raph only coffe mugs, Raph only Santa Snow Globe (I believe they came out the the other turtles for these in the following years), Raph only mirror, even my Pizza Inn has a neon Raph in the wall above the arcade games (it was there when the old turtles were brand new, and seem's to be the only thing they never took down). While Raph seem's to be the most famous, Mike seem's to be the one most TMNT fans talk about.

I personally like Raph the best, back then anyway. Now it's pretty much a tie between Raph, Leo, and Don.

EDIT and OFF TOPIC...I think:
mikes the reason why to this day my favorite color is orange.

Red used to be my favorite color, just because I liked Raph. But I don't know if I got stick and tired of red, if my taste in colors changed, or if I felt I just liked it because my favorite turtle was red. Now, my favorite colors are tied between Blue and Black, and not because of Leo and Slash either.

Serp
04-24-2005, 08:49 AM
When the old TMNT toon came out and I was around 4 yrs when I first saw it Raph was my favorite TMNT, I love his sarcastic character. Than Don became my favorite TMNT. cause he was smart and calm. I always wished I was smart. but then Raph became my favorite again, but I think Don is my favorite again.

darthsith19
04-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I saw a poll online that said who is your favorite turtle and Leonardo was winning, then Mikey, then Raph and then Don.

NightwatchersOnlygirl
04-28-2005, 08:06 AM
I think Raphael is more popular than Leo :evil: :evil:

Sage Ninja
05-02-2005, 12:33 AM
I believe that Michaelangelo is the most popualr turtle from the classic series. Every one I talk to that used to watch the orginal shows says they love Mike, he was just cool. Although i know that Raph from the origianl series was also pretty popular with his sarcasm and whiplash quips :lol:. Raph's humour never went over my head He always had me laughing out loud at the things he says. Even today his humour can get a few cracks of laughter out of me and I'm an adult now.

In the new toon I'm going to say that it is a toss up between leonardo the wise and diligent ninja, and Raph the hard ass thug, who'd kill any one of his brothers at the drop of a hat :o . These two get the most focus out of any of the other turtles. Only Leonardo gets a bit more. Michaelangelo just doesn't seem to have the same appeal and impact as his orginal toons counter-part. Maybe because his personallty is different from the old one.

But I've more kids rave over Raph and Leonardo than the other turtles. **sigh** Poor Donatello :(

Leonardo_
06-13-2005, 03:49 PM
I think the poll online shows the favourite-turtle-results from us only and we are not the majority, but in this thread I think we are speaking about the fav's from the other people outside, so I think either Raph or Mikey would win.

Masked Ninja
06-13-2005, 04:24 PM
If this were a personal question, I'd say Leo. This is simply because

1) He wears blue :tgrin:
2) I always thought them swords were cool
3) His personality matches mine. Exactly.

But overall, I gotta say Mike. He's who everyone remembers from the old toon, and is responsible for all their catchphrases. (Though my favorite from the old toon is either Raph or Don... Leo was kind of annoying and too pushy about the "leader" thing.) I do notice that Raph is popular among older kids, 'specially the angsty ones who can identify with him.

If I had to pick a second fave (as hard as that is because the 2003 toon makes me love them all for different reasons) it would probably be Donatello. He's a lot like me too - quiet, smart (I like to think), and a huge geek. *grin*

raphael_is_cool
06-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd say Raph or Mikey. The polls we always have here support that, I think.

I think Leo takes the forefront for things because he epitomises how a Ninja Turtle really should be, and he's the leader. Like a Cyclops in X-Men figure (although generally Wolverine grabs the limelight)

manny
06-13-2005, 07:38 PM
for me when i watch id say leo and mikey

Leonardo_
06-14-2005, 09:30 AM
I have noticed that Leo is often only liked because of his color of his bandana, his swords and that he is the "leader" seldom for how his personality is.
Basically the members who identify themselves with him, related to his personality, like him because of this, I think, or am I wrong?

BigApple3AM
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
A lot of good insight in this thread that I would never have thought of before. Ryo is right, Leo is in front on like half of the packaging for turtles including a lot of the old comics (he's also in front on the very first issue of turtles). Leonardo has the swords (katanas), the blue bandana (a color a lot of people identify with), and is the leader.

I think it changes with every medium, and over time. People also tend to pick a favorite but then decide they like them all. Leo was my favorite as a kid (and still is) so maybe I'm biased but I really don't remember why he became my favorite when I was little. It shows how kids will just choose.

In the long scheme of things I think turtles have become so popular that people know about all four turtles now and will choose their favorite accordingly (or not choose a favorite which is usually something mature people will do and not little kids. Kids are so used to attaching to things like parents, home, friends, and are very loyal so they have a hard time not finding one particular turtle to call their favorite). I think it's almost to a point where there is an equally large fan base for each turtle and really they're all popular and it's come down to characters like casey jones and april o'neil are just as popular.

Though I will add that Leonardo figures are almost always sold out at stores I go to and that Donny and Raph are somewhat hard to get but mikey clogs pegs unfortunately. Not nearly as bad as that pink butterfly swords guy.

Edit: I want to add why I think Casey Jones and April are popular. They aren't AS popular as the turtles but thanks to the movie Casey Jones is pretty well known by the general public and many people think he is awesome (similar to the fan base for like Punisher or something) and will associate with him even if they don't like the TMNT. Girls usually need a female favorite so April is pretty well known as well. Though they may not have a big action figure or merchandise selection they do have their own fan following.

Buslady
06-14-2005, 11:37 AM
They're all popular, I don't think theres one above the other. All four guys have their fanbase...

for me it's Raph.
For some its Leo, Mikey or Donnie.

They're all equally loved amongst the fans.

Poor Splinter might feel left out...but he's also a big favorite of mine. I wish I had a daddy like him.

Ryona
06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Leonardo has the swords (katanas), the blue bandana (a color a lot of people identify with), and is the leader.

These may have been the original reasons why I chose Leo as my favorite back in the 80's. Especially him having the blue (which happens to be my favorite color followed by black).

When I think about it, back then, myself along with several kids in my school always viewed Leo as the original ninja turtle... Probably because he has blue and has swords. We figured Don, Raph, and Mikey were spawned off of Leo, given random colors, random weapons, and random personality quirks.

It wasn't untill I discovered the Mirage comics that I saw they were all created at the same time (all based on a single drawing that was intentionally done for laughs).

Anyway... I really don't think there's a most popular one among them anymore. They all seem to be equally popular these days now. :)

Poor Splinter might feel left out...but he's also a big favorite of mine. I wish I had a daddy like him.

Same here. I would feel so greatful if I had a guardian like him.

Buslady
06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
But among everyone else, I have to say Raph. Even though he's not my favorite, I believe he's the most popular. I mean, I can't even go for one day without seeing Raph angst fanfiction or something.

that's cause when it's done right, "raph angst" is great material to write!

Jo Dawn
06-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I don't think any of them are the most popular.

You have to look at it this way:

Each turtle is a facet of someone's personality. They all represent SOMEONE in this world, no matter where they're from. And, no matter what, you can identify with ALL of them some of the time. Mikey is not my favorite, but I can sure identify with him at times! They are everyone. The everyday person. You can't say one is more popular than another, not truly, because that is like choosing a favorite emotion. Plus, like the turtle they like so much, the Don people may be too quiet to speak up on their choice, while the Mikey people crow it out, proudly! The Leo's may be trying to maintain peace and nobility to choose, and the Raph's say it loud.

And I speak on a worldwide level, not just here. We're not shy here, heh. ;)

But I believe they are all equally popular, because they are ALL of us. We are all a leader, and a hot-head, and a genius and a goofball. And, yes, we are all outcasts at times, too. We are all of them, at different times. At the same time.

Thus, I don't think there IS a most popular. It fluxuates with our changing and growing emotions. Mikey used to be number two after Don, but as I grew older Leo wedged himself in there. There isn't a most popular. There can't be.

Leonardo_
06-14-2005, 02:18 PM
That's a wise "word"

KROW
06-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Venus.

*runs away from Dromers carrying torches*

NeoBix
06-14-2005, 06:01 PM
The most popular turtle is definitely Leo, Mike, or Raph. Donatello is like the George Harrison of the TMNT. He's unappreciated and not noticed very often.

By the way, in that rap song at the end of the first turtles movie, the rapper says that Raphael, not Leo, is the leader of the turtles. What's up with that??

KROW
06-14-2005, 07:52 PM
The most popular turtle is definitely Leo, Mike, or Raph. Donatello is like the George Harrison of the TMNT. He's unappreciated and not noticed very often.

By the way, in that rap song at the end of the first turtles movie, the rapper says that Raphael, not Leo, is the leader of the turtles. What's up with that??
I actually agree with that. Donatello is like Harrison. Alot of genius hidden among the more distinguishing people in the group.

As for the rap song, it fit the rhyme scheme. Simple as that.

NeoBix
06-14-2005, 08:43 PM
As for the rap song, it fit the rhyme scheme. Simple as that.

Yeah true that's probably the only reason. I just remember when me and my bro were little kids and we saw an episode where Raphael was always walking in front and he was telling the turtles what to do and stuff and ever since that we've been wondering if the leadership has ever changed in the TMNT gang. my bro thought Raph was leader for a long time... i don't remember during which season though (old toon). i always knew leo was. we would argue about it for hours. :x

XERO
06-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Put it this way; Raphael is the verbal leader of the group.

Masked Ninja
06-15-2005, 09:27 PM
I dunno if Splinter, April, or Casey fit in here, because the question specifies "Turtles." (Though for my two cents, Splinter rocks the house, Casey is all right, and April downright annoys me. In all incarnations.)

As for "nobody is the most popular," that's what happens when you get to know the Turtles well enough. I can't even remember who was my favorite as a kid... I loved Mikey because I was 4 and he was silly...but I also loved blue and swords. When I had my TMNT revival in 2003, I was stunned to find that Leo's personality matches mine perfectly. (I also identify with Don a bit. When I started following the new toon, he was my second favorite by a hair.)

But I have to commend the writers of the new toon. A lot. Because they took my favorite-to-least-favorite ranking and made it impossible. Leo is still in front, but only because he's my personality match. If not for them, they'd all be the same. Don is my geeky, nose-in-a-book side. Mikey is my active imagination and sense of humor. And even Raph has a heart. The characters have been developed so well, and changed so much... in the first season they had personality conflicts and little spats a lot. Now they're working together, and that doesn't happen as much. And yet they still act like themselves.

Oops, there's my dorky rant on good writing. There's Don again. I should probably stop before I gush about the animation.

(And you're right...as far as fans who pick a favorite, Don is underappreciated. Poor guy.)

By the way, in that rap song at the end of the first turtles movie, the rapper says that Raphael, not Leo, is the leader of the turtles. What's up with that?? This is true, and it always makes me twitch. But it makes sense to me because I saw Raph acting more "leaderish" than Leo. The only time Leo wasn't kinda boring in the movie was when he received Splinter's message. (Though I have to admit, there's a lot of clumsy rhyming going on in that song. :dead:

KROW
06-16-2005, 09:22 AM
This is true, and it always makes me twitch. But it makes sense to me because I saw Raph acting more "leaderish" than Leo. The only time Leo wasn't kinda boring in the movie was when he received Splinter's message. (Though I have to admit, there's a lot of clumsy rhyming going on in that song. :dead:
It's a rap song. What do you expect? :P

And besides, it was to fit the rhyme scheme, that's all. Don't read too much into it. I'm sure Partners in Kryme never came to the conclusion you did when they wrote the song.

Leonardo_
06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Perhaps poor Leo did always let himself push away by Raphael.