PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged

Tinuvielsdreams
05-22-2005, 05:35 PM
*****First time doing a thread I hope it worked******

I was at work when I ran into a girl wearing an old school TMNT jacket. Of course this excited me so I went to talk to her about it. I asked if she liked the new series and she tells me she refuses to watch it because of the way they are drawn.
This along with all the talk about the new series not doing so well has really discouraged me. As a fan, besides the fact I love the new series, I want to see anything that would keep the TMNT going as long as it isn't too insulting.
Do people really not like this new series after the orginal 87' one? I just can't wrap my head around that one.... :-?

Leonardo Mystic
05-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I really enjoy the new series, and I think the Turtles are drawn very well. They're very appealing to the eye. ;)

As far as I know, the series is doing great for the most part.

Kali
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I personally really like the new series. It's renewed at least through season four.

Most fans (from true blue to fair weather) do enjoy one version over another, and it's not uncommon for people to openly dislike anything that isn't "their Turtles". Don't worry about it. :D

Tinuvielsdreams
05-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I feel like the new one is really where it needs to be. I am constantly surprised by the amazing quality of the drawing and animation. I strive to do that kind of fluent motion in my own animation.
I think we have been talking about how kids feel about the new show but not so much about how fans who have been through both feel. It just made me wonder. Darn the close mindedness...
They look amazing as far as my opinion is concerned.

GK Punk
05-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah actually a friend of mine hates the new series. She likes the happier, funnier TMNT of her childhood better. and I guess I can see why... I like both versions alot, but the original sticks out for me more for nostalgia atleast.

Mobius One
05-23-2005, 05:58 AM
I have run into people like this, and frankly they are morons, because whenever i ty to talk to them about the old show afer showing their disguist for the new, the y can't remember anything about it, yet they wear the gear.

Buslady
05-23-2005, 06:08 AM
not drawn well?! wahhhhhhhh????????? What's she smokin man? Hec, they're so much better looking. And sounding, acting, etc. It's the guys in a more true to form appearance! Some people I dunno....

TMNT is doing fine, ifi t wasn't there'd be no 4th season in the can and 5th in the works

kids i get in the bus say they like it and then we start going on about who's the favorites and all that. they all like my pics of raph i got in the bus too...mind u, these are elementary aged kiddies. the high schoolers either go 'oh cool' or they mock it while im driving and that pisses me off

GK Punk
05-23-2005, 06:14 AM
not drawn well?! wahhhhhhhh????????? What's she smokin man? Hec, they're so much better looking. And sounding, acting, etc. It's the guys in a more true to form appearance! Some people I dunno....

TMNT is doing fine, ifi t wasn't there'd be no 4th season in the can and 5th in the works

kids i get in the bus say they like it and then we start going on about who's the favorites and all that. they all like my pics of raph i got in the bus too...mind u, these are elementary aged kiddies. the high schoolers either go 'oh cool' or they mock it while im driving and that pisses me off

You shouldn't let those kids bother you ;)
You know how some kids think they are too cool for everything.

PDM025
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Don't like the new series! :o
Tinuvielsdreams, that girl is Lolo! :roll:
Comparing it to back then, I prefer the new version.
Better drawn and better work.
But everyone has there own opinion. :ohwell:
Like for me, I seen a few w/ TMNT items.
Like one with a backpack and
one with a T-shirt they bought from Hot Topic.
Each one of us have different opinions.

zkarlette
05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
I like both the new and the old I think theyre different and theyre great both ways , personally I think the new toon looks great and the drawings are awesome I like the way all the characters look .. but I must admit when I first noticed that the TMNT were back in the new toon I didnt watch it ....I dont know why but I wasnt interested ... one day I finally sat down and watched the show and since then I havent been able to let go.. and I dont think I have too no matter what other people think or do ..If you like it then you decide what you watch or what you buy ,If other people lose interest is their problem you dont have to follow other people you have to follow what you like.

Tinuvielsdreams
05-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Awww I completely agree with all of you. When you like something so much it's bound to get you heated when someone is negative. She was about highschool age I just like a fan to be a fan not a fair weather one :) everybody here rocks :D

azure turtle
05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Heh... I've run into similar people, Tinuvielsdreams (can I call ya TD for short? :) ). Everyone's got their likes and dislikes. It's just natural. Take TNM, for example. The majority of fans hated that show, but there are people out there who really enjoyed it. It's all up to personal taste, so you don't need to worry 'bout it.

Personally, I love both shows but for different reasons. I enjoy the new 'toon because of it's amazing action sequences, deep character development, and the darker edge it seems to have. But I also love the old 'toon for its humor and nostalgia factor. Don't let one person get you down. The new show is doing well, and with a movie slated for 2007, I'm pretty sure we'll have more seasons to look forward to.

BartAllen
05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
I guess i just have a thick skin. people can say anything to me about anything. and i wont get offended. i mean i know people who do get offended very easily i have members of my family like that. i mean my little sister is like that she goes crazy when people are in her opinion rude or overly mean to me. but i mean, if i let everything everyone said or peoples differing opinions bother me. i would probably be in prison by now.

Mandi-chan
05-23-2005, 06:16 PM
...everyone I've meet in the offline world who's a fan of TMNT hates the new toon because it's "not what they grew up with"....Gee, I wonder why I resent the old toon so much? (I'm gonna try to give it more of a chance, but it's hard to do after all the disappointments it's given me...)

Here's my friend's boyfriend's comment on it:

"Sorry I dislike the new TMNT cartoon so much. It's just that...well, it's not the turtles cartoon I grew up with. I was a Turtles nut when I was younger, to the point where I started loving pizza so much because it was what they ate all the time. I had the toys, the shirts, the pizza wagon, the works. Now, I look at this new cartoon, and I just cannot see what makes it so special.

The episode I saw involved some sort of alien Triceratops with some awkward sounding alien race name like the "Tricerapeople" or something along those lines. The voice acting...just did not seem right. Every line seemed over acted from the minor characters, and the accents were so fake that the faking was blatantly obvious. Now, all of this would be fine if the Turtles were acted alright. But, to me, they were as bad as the supporting characters. Leo and Donny sound like homosexual lovers, Raph sounded like a cheap imitation of a Brooklyn accent (and being from Brooklyn it was like a hacksaw to my ears), and Michelangelo appeared to have hit his head surfing one too many times on the beaches of California. The characters did not seem to play off each other at all, and that family feel I used to see in the TMNT just was not apparent here.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant, but, being the geek I am, I'm quite passionate about the geekdom I grew up on. And, alas, the old TMNT is one of those passions.

Sorry 'Mandi. I'm sure I'll probably feel the same way about the new Batman cartoon once I see it, as it's not the Batman I grew up with either. Please don't hold it against me, as I certainly will not hold your liking it against you. After all, that's what opinions are all about. Opinions! =P"

I still don't see where he's coming from, but you see what I mean?

I wasn't a TMNT nut when I was a kid, I loved the movies and watched the old toon once in a while. I remember that I wanted to see the Next Mutation, and then any interest in the ninja turtles kinda died. Until the new toon came, now I can say I'm a real fan. Not the casual fan I was as a kid...

Tinuvielsdreams
05-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah I agree with BartAllen about not caring. It didn't like destroy me I just wanted to see what everyone thought. I found someone in my animatic class last semester who I could just discuss the new show with. In the same class though a few people have a similiar opinion not liking the new show cause they grew up with the old one. They just don't want anything to do with it. They did sit down and watch some of the newer DVDS with me though. I just appreciate the openess.
Hooray for the special animatic feature on the first four discs that was amazing. I got some ooos and ahhhhs :D

Spitfire
05-23-2005, 06:24 PM
I saw someone with a TMNT jacket on once. They were walking out of Hot Topic. I asked them if they liked TMNT and they said
"What's that"
At that point I just wanted to hurt the man but I explained
"It means Ninja Turtles"
'Oh yeah their tight"
"Do you watch the new show?"
"There's a TV show? I just thought it was movie"

People like him are what I label as posers. Posers are morons who buy something because it is considered cool to wear it. Wearing clothing from an 80's cartoon is labeled as cool now so I see morons with He-man, Thundercats, and TMNT shirts on when they never even see the show or know it exists. This fad is fading out however the new one is buying shirts from new TV shows you dont watch, video games you dont play, and bands you dont listen to. Go Hot Topic your helping our society :roll:

Tinuvielsdreams
05-23-2005, 06:30 PM
I saw someone with a TMNT jacket on once. They were walking out of Hot Topic. I asked them if they liked TMNT and they said
"What's that"
At that point I just wanted to hurt the man but I explained
"It means Ninja Turtles"
'Oh yeah their tight"
"Do you watch the new show?"
"There's a TV show? I just thought it was movie"
:roll:

Haha how many times have I had that same conversation...lol you are too right
A sad sad situation it is :ohwell:

Misfit
05-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm thrilled with the new series, and contiune to be amazed with how it just keeps getting better and better. I like the animation. Some of it is so amazingly detailed, the action scenes are often mind blowingly well done for a half hour Saturday morning type show. It never looks cheap or rushed like most shows out there. The turtles themselves are drawn a little too bulky for my liking but it's nothing I would complain about. Even if the animation wasn't up to my standards, the storylines would make up for it. They are so complex and well written that it never ceases to rock my world. Sure there are some bad episodes, but EVERY tv show has a few bad episodes so that's no biggie. If a person doesn't like the show for the artwork, I'd hope they could at least see that the storylines are of a much higher standard than most crap that's on the air but then, too many people get turned off by the fact that something is a cartoon, which is rather sad. They don't know what they're missing with that attitude.

I'm used to people not liking or respecting TMNT. I don't have ANYONE who I can talk about TMNT with in real life but that's okay because I know I can just get on the computer and find people of all ages from all around the world at the click of a button - which is an awesome thing. So if everyone I knew dissed the new show, or only liked the old show, it doesn't matter, because I can come here where there is mostly a fair attitude towards all things TMNT. I can voice my opinions around fellow fans without having to be ridiculed or looked down on and that's a wonderful thing. 10 years ago I wouldn't have had that privilege and I'm always grateful that I have it now. I would never have rediscovered my love for TMNT had it not been for the internet.

It doesn't bother me in the least if someone says they dislike it, that's up to them and it's a sure thing that they'll like something I don't. Part of being human is that we all have different tastes and hobbies. True, people COULD be more respectful of each other's passions, but it isn't a perfect world. Those who act childish towards something I like by dissing it because they know it would hurt me, or dissing me for liking it because they don't, that's their problem and I feel sorry for them for being so closed minded. If someone doesn't like something I like, or disagrees with me about certain parts of it, I respect their right to their opinions but I'd hope they'd also respect my right to mine.

As far as Show vs Show goes, I love them both. I love the new one because it's so dark, edgy and real, because of the excellent writing and spot-on characterization. I love the old one because it's what got me hooked on the turtles to begin with and lots of childhood memories are connected with it. I love it for it's sense of fun and silliness, for the theme song, and it DID have some good storylines, too. Both shows are good for different reasons. I don't think either could be classified as "bad" at all.

PDM025
05-23-2005, 07:09 PM
I have confession to make.
I'm I one of these posers?
Because I also a fan of Poke'mon, Digimon(which stop long ago), and
Dragonball.
I still collect Poke'mon Figures and Dragonball Figures (so far the GT series).
Hey, I even still have my Pikachu Figure from 9 years! 9 YEARS!!!!!!!
Those are old school.
Be honest.

Spitfire
05-23-2005, 08:01 PM
I have confession to make.
I'm I one of these posers?
Because I also a fan of Poke'mon, Digimon(which stop long ago), and
Dragonball.
I still collect Poke'mon Figures and Dragonball Figures (so far the GT series).
Hey, I even still have my Pikachu Figure from 9 years! 9 YEARS!!!!!!!
Those are old school.
Be honest.
No, you like the shows or liked them at one point. You even have knowlage of what they are you dont just pretend to liek the to be popular. That's what a poser is your far from it

Ra
05-25-2005, 04:48 AM
I don't care if people like TMNT from the third movie. Even though they may deserve to get a slap, it's their life, their dream. Why the hell are we talking about how people should be when their going their own way?

But those posers REALLY deserve to get a slap :P seriously, "TMNT? oh, I thought it was a movie..." come off it!

Buslady
05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
I didn't exactly grow up w/ old tmnt but i watched it in high school, it was my fave show back then. But now, i love the new one more and can't stand the old.

There really was no family feeling in the old, splinter called them his FRIENDS...not SONS as he does in new toon. the old toon was nothing more than a 30min commercial...the new toon is a 30 min commercial with heart..no just kidding, it's more of a animation of a comic book, and done well.

.. The characters did not seem to play off each other at all, and that family feel I used to see in the TMNT just was not apparent here.

I hate to agree w/ his opinion of Raph's accent. It's eh..ok, i like the sound of it but the accent needs improving.

Doppleganger
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Leo and Donny sound like homosexual lovers, Raph sounded like a cheap imitation of a Brooklyn accent (and being from Brooklyn it was like a hacksaw to my ears), and Michelangelo appeared to have hit his head surfing one too many times on the beaches of California.

:lol: Oh god! That comment was classic. Can you tell this guy knows the show. :P I love it how people bash this show without giving it a chance.

Mandi-chan
05-26-2005, 02:46 AM
You wanna know what's kinda funny? The guy that wrote all that stuff doesn't even have an accent himself, and he grew up in Brooklyn!
Maybe it depends on what area of New York you live in? Plus, the others don't have an accent like him....(I was talking about Raph here btw)

Raph had more of an accent in the first few eps, but it disappeared after a while. Mikey's voice changed a little too, sounds deeper now. (part of me kinda likes how he sounded earlier better, but it slowly changed over time so I'm gonna pretend he went through puberty or something! :D )

Also, in defense of the guy that wrote that, he only saw one ep, and it was probably not a good ep to start on. I know he'll give it a chance at some point, just like how I'm giving the old toon a chance now. But I've realized that I don't really care anymore if he likes it, at least he likes the TMNT as a whole! :) The guy is wicked nice and has given me much knowledge on comics and such!

Ra
05-26-2005, 04:06 AM
...pubirty stikes the TMNT.... *shifty eyes*

Misfit
05-26-2005, 10:07 AM
There really was no family feeling in the old, splinter called them his FRIENDS...not SONS as he does in new toon.
Now this I agree with. I love the old toon, but since the movie's release in 1990, and after seeing that the TMNTs and Splinter were a family, it's always bothered me how cold their relationships seem in the old show. Splinter just acts like a school teacher, and the TMNTs act like team-mates or, at best, reluctant friends (and even that's streching it). Even characters in shows like Alvin and the Chipmunks or Jem showed more warmth and feeling towards one another than the TMNTs and Co in the old toon did.

I still love the show, though. With the old toon you just need to appreciate it for what it was and not expect anything too deep. I like it for the humour and nostalgia more than anything these days.

Lioness-Goddess
05-26-2005, 04:11 PM
It's all about opinion. Don't worry about it. The girl can like or dislike whatever she wants, and same goes for you. I've never seen the old toon, so I can't really judge.

Doppleganger
05-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Now this I agree with. I love the old toon, but since the movie's release in 1990, and after seeing that the TMNTs and Splinter were a family, it's always bothered me how cold their relationships seem in the old show. Splinter just acts like a school teacher, and the TMNTs act like team-mates or, at best, reluctant friends (and even that's streching it). Even characters in shows like Alvin and the Chipmunks or Jem showed more warmth and feeling towards one another than the TMNTs and Co in the old toon did

Wanna know something funny? In the old toon Splinter called April in a much more familiar way then he does here. In the old toon he referred to her as April while in the new toon he referred to her as Ms. O'neil, much more formal almost kind of cold.

Lioness-Goddess
05-27-2005, 03:22 AM
He does that to Casey too. I think he's just trying to be polite.

Ra
05-27-2005, 03:46 AM
That's very true. He is friends with Casey and April, no matter what they do with it. But it does sound kinda cold when he said it in 'The Way of Invisablity' after Casey interupts his lesson. It's sortta like crossroads. It can go one way or the other

...okay, that was deep...

Doppleganger
05-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Yeah you'd think by now he would start to call them by their given first names. I know he's being polite but sometimes he's too polite. Oh well, hopefully next season he'll call them April and Casey.

Ra
05-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Hopefully he will. But it's most likely at lest a year has past ever since he and the turtles first met both of them. They are his friends as well. I definatly wouldn't like it if I got called "Miss. Tamer" or "Miss. Cho" for life. Sooner or later, one of them will have to go "Just call me April/Casey". It's scary because Splinter sometimes reminds me of my Japanese teacher :lol:

TuRtLeTiTaN
05-28-2005, 05:26 AM
in my class yesterday we were playing a game were the teacher would play a song from a tv show and you would have to guess it the fastest and when tmnt came on every one was talking about how they liked the new show just as well as the old one :D

Leonardo_
05-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Everyone has his own opinion. It would be bad if not, and so I think nobody can "accuse" another one who likes the old toon more than the new one.
Particularly I think you can't compare the two toons or am I wrong with this??

Ryona
05-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah you'd think by now he would start to call them by their given first names. I know he's being polite but sometimes he's too polite. Oh well, hopefully next season he'll call them April and Casey.

It's a Japanese thing. Splinter refers to the TMNT by their given names because they're his sons. With Casey and April, even though they are Splinter's friends, he'll always call them Mr. Jones and Ms. O'Neil. It's just Japanese etiquette.
...But anyway, I wouldn't like it myself. I like being called by my first name.

Anyway....
Back on topic; I think these people who don't give the new series a chance because it's different from the old series and not what they grew up with are just plain silly.
It's pretty prejudice to put down the new series for such rediculous and juvinile reasons.

I love the way the new TMNT look... though I don't like how big their shells are... It looks like they're carrying a house on their backs. :sweatdro:

Mecha Cow
05-28-2005, 09:44 AM
It looks like they're carrying a house on their backs.
They're turtles, so technically they are. :P

cowabunga14
05-28-2005, 09:45 AM
I 'd say the Old Toon is a lot like the Archie comics. The new show is much like the darker TMNT comic books like "Sky Highway" which is #30. I like all the TMNT shows. Its good that the DVDs of the Old Toon come out so I can see episodes I missed and see episodes that I really liked. At church I have a buddy that I talk TMNT with once in a while. He usually has me tell him the beginning of the episode he missed on Staurday. I talk about the Old Toon with him and he's intrested in it. For my grad dance I filled out this form to have eight songs played there. Three of the songs are TMNT songs so if people heard 'em before they could regonize the song and recall hearin' it. It'll be a nostalgic memory for a lot of people there. The songs are Shredder's Suite by John Du Prez,Ninja Rap by Vanilla Ice and Turtle Power by Partners in Kryme.

MrPliggins
05-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Now this I agree with. I love the old toon, but since the movie's release in 1990, and after seeing that the TMNTs and Splinter were a family, it's always bothered me how cold their relationships seem in the old show.

I think something that adds to that "cold" feeling is that all the Turtles ALWAYS called each other by their ENTIRE name. I like in the new show and the movies how they call each other Raph, Mike, Don, Leo. As far as I can remember, Don may have called Michelangelo "Mikey" once in an old toon ep. But it didn't happen very often.

Ra
05-28-2005, 11:12 PM
I think something that adds to that "cold" feeling is that all the Turtles ALWAYS called each other by their ENTIRE name
I really hated that in the old show. When I watched the tape for the first time (epiode number 1 I must add), April kept on mixing up all their names and that, I could feel my eye twiching when they kept on correcting it with their full names. I mean, they actually WANTED to be called by their full names in the show. Don't get me wrong, I loved it with all of the jokes and that, but it was one of not many things that got me annoyed. I don't like it as much as the new show though. Probably because it was the new toon that brought me in ;) BTW, I would love to see more old toon shows or old toon characters in the new show, like Slash. I've seen pictures of him and I would love to see him in the new toon :)

Anarchistguy
05-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Now this I agree with. I love the old toon, but since the movie's release in 1990, and after seeing that the TMNTs and Splinter were a family, it's always bothered me how cold their relationships seem in the old show. Splinter just acts like a school teacher, and the TMNTs act like team-mates or, at best, reluctant friends (and even that's streching it). Even characters in shows like Alvin and the Chipmunks or Jem showed more warmth and feeling towards one another than the TMNTs and Co in the old toon did.

I still love the show, though. With the old toon you just need to appreciate it for what it was and not expect anything too deep. I like it for the humour and nostalgia more than anything these days.

That's because the old toon TMNT were NOT brothers, just REALLY close friends.

Misfit
05-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I know they were friends and not brothers, but they didn't act as warmly as most friends do toward each other a lot of the time. It seemed like it was ALL about getting the job done and that was it...

Mandi-chan
06-24-2005, 06:11 AM
Actually, I just watched a Red Sky ep (my friend, who's comment I pasted here earlier, bought the first season dvd) and noticed that the way they acted towards each other was greatly improved (as well as practically everything else!). They acted concerned for each other and their other friends, in a buddy way though because they're only friends in this series not brothers.

My friend and I were talking, he admitted that he's kinda curious about the new toon, that he'll give it a chance. I hope he likes it! I think he will.