PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Good Quality VHS TMNT Episodes

Dark Helmet
12-11-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for some good quality episodes on VHS of TMNT from somebody who may have bought a set on ebay before. I bought a set a while back, and the overall quality was very good, but there was one tape that was totally unwatchable, and there were three incomplete episodes on the set. The three incomplete episodes I need are "The Catwoman From Channel Six", "Turtle Trek", and "Divide and Conquer". My Tape 9 was totally unwatchable. In all, I probably need about 10-16 episodes. They have to be on VHS though because my computer will not play CDs of that sort. I will pay for these episodes or even trade (lots of stuff to trade). If anyone thinks they have the episodes I'm looking for and they're complete and in watchable condition, please e-mail me at tfarmada2000@yahoo.com
Thank You.

Deathknight
12-13-2002, 04:01 PM
Well at least you got some good quality... all my tmnt vhs are crap quality and some of em are edited (stupid USA network) And if tape 9 was unwatchable then why didn't you complain to the seller? I had tapes like that in my set and he gave me new copies.

Tokka-B
12-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind want vhs?!?!? The tape has a lifespan of about 5 sit throughs, sheesh.... :roll:

Nickokapo
12-21-2002, 06:00 PM
I second that!One of the reasons why i hate vhs actually, they wear out :(

Deathknight
12-22-2002, 01:49 PM
the life of a vhs depends on how well you take care of them. A vhs can easily outlast a dvd. A dvd can be permenantly ruined by a measly scratch on the disc. Personally, I'm not picky and I take very good care of my dvd and vhs tapes. And don't diss vhs, soon you'll be dissing DVD they're already making something to replace it.

Ratking
12-26-2002, 04:17 AM
i have alot of VHS tapes that are very very old and have never worn out. All the TMNT offical videos i bought are all in perfect nick, perhaps u taped them off TV onto a cheap VHS tape, as they obviously wont last long. I would always choose VHS TMNT over TMNT eps on the computer, as im not interested at looking at a small screen sitting on a chair, compared to a lounge with big TV :D

*also Dark, I have The Catwoman From Channel Six if u want it, yet i need to know if your video player supports PAL, as i think it may be NTSC?

Karpo_007
12-26-2002, 04:52 AM
Well I have a tv-out so im not watching them on small screen. Of course the quality of aneyrysm rips is not the best possible.

Opticon143
12-26-2002, 01:52 PM
yeah, anerysm's are ok, better than nothing, but i really wish we had a full set of good (unsubbed) rips :)

Karpo_007
12-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Well the subtitles are not the biggest problem in those, when there is lot of action, the framerate drops...

Deathknight
12-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Meh, Aneuyrsm just didn't really know what he was doing when he captured. He captured from vhs and the max resolution for vhs is 320x240. When you go higher, there is interlacing problems (which can be fixed somehow, I haven't figured it out yet, that stupid aviedit or whatever program doesn't do it) the quality is the same or lower, and it works your computer harder which may cause frame loss. Ah well, I'd love to have a decent quality set of tmnt on vhs.

Karpo_007
12-27-2002, 03:07 AM
Well it's not my comp, thats for sure, it's the video stream itself.

Opticon143
12-27-2002, 02:43 PM
I have discovered a bunch of tmnt vhs's for rent at my local video store....i think once i get a tuner card i'll check and see if any of them are good enough quality to encode. I'm not compeltely sure, but i also think i remember seeing a next mutation tape there as well...

raphael90
12-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Yeah, the rental stores in my area still have some of the cartoons for rent. The ones in the grocery stores are usually ones from the middle of series. The Blockbuster near me has the older ones, but the tracking is always HORRIBLE on the ones from Blockbuster....at least at first.

Tokka-B
12-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Yea, but there are vcrs that have auto-track, so you can see the worst tracking and still get a good picture.

Dvds can get scratched, but you can clean it with cd cleaners...What is after dvds?

Deathknight
12-29-2002, 10:28 PM
What would be nice is something that doesn't scratch so easily.

Karpo_007
12-30-2002, 05:29 AM
If you treat the DVD proberly, it wont get scratched. And nothing will replace DVD anytime soon.

Deathknight
12-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Actually you're incorrect Karpo, there is already something being developed to replace dvds. I don't remember what they're called but they hold 3 times what dvds hold and all the players will be able to play dvds... I read an article on this somewhere and I'll post it as soon as I find it again.

Karpo_007
12-30-2002, 12:11 PM
It will be a new kind of disc format? Still it can get scratchrd...

Nickokapo
12-30-2002, 01:27 PM
I would always choose VHS TMNT over TMNT eps on the computer, as im not interested at looking at a small screen sitting on a chair, compared to a lounge with big TV :D
Eh, there's always TV-Out cards, or dvd players that can play vcds, if you have a cd burner ya could make your own ones (tho i'll admit not many use the tv out cards, but still :D )
Edit: oh yah karpo already posted about the tv out :dead: o well
And the dvds/cds don't get scratched easily, unless you're king kong (if you are, DON'T KILL ME PLZ KTHX)
I had some cds for longer than a year now, and they barely have any scratchs, and play fine anyways...and if you have a cd burner, and the cd is in *real* bad condition, you could always re-burn it, tho i repeat cds last long if you take care of em (I do!They're my precious, wicked, tricksy, false! :evilgrin: )
And yeah, you can clean em too, personally i never tried to do that.
DK do you have a link for that thing?It'd be interesting to read about it, the disc sounds like a good idea :D

raphael90
12-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I got into the whole digital cd thing because stuff I wanted wasn't available on tape anymore. So I have cds, but I don't mind cassettes either. I grew up with the analog stuff, videos and tapes. Personally, the only thing that bothers me about video tapes is bad tracking.

I discovered something when I got my copy of 'Incredible Shrinking Turtles' on VHS. It came in a faded white rental clamshell and I thought oh well, at least I have the cartoons. Popped it in and it wouldn't even play the tracking was so bad (on my TV/VCR combo the screen shows blue when the tracking is bad). I was so ticked, but then I popped it in my parents VCR and the tape played fine (I think it has automatic tracking). I played the tape for a while in theirs then popped it back in mine.

I could now watch the whole tape with hardly any errors in picture.

I must be stupid, I thought it was almost a miracle. But I'm sure there's some explaination to it I don't know of. :roll:

Nickokapo
12-30-2002, 05:58 PM
I have no idea why is that :D my vcr doesn't work too well anyways.
That's how i got into the digital video stuff too, because i wanted stuff that wasnt on tv and vhs (or i couldnt get the vhs).
It was tmnt what i wanted, to be specific :P then i found it at a site called bq's place.
I liked it a lot so i kept collecting more.

Karpo_007
12-30-2002, 06:01 PM
The VHS are like that, full of mysteries. Ahh the memories.... It was really fun when a bad tape would break in the vcr... Well the VHS are pretty much yesterday but I will never forget them.... :lol:

Nickokapo
01-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Oh i will never forget em either, they're like, classic :P
I used to go to videoclubs and rent movies, and they were...you guessed it, vhs ;) so it has kinda like a nostalgic value.
Plus i used to rent tmnt vhs eps too :D ahh, good ol' vhs :P
Too bad lately i've been having problems with vhs since my vcr is ****ed up, BUT WE HAD MANY GOOD TIMES *hugs vcr* I'LL MISS YOU!! *gets electroshocked* You son of a... *grabs hammer and makes vcr pate*

raphael90
01-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Ack! VCRs are still are friends people! Don't do this senseless act of violence against your good friend the VCR!!

VCRs are our friends, VCRS-

*everybody smacks me over the head hard with VHS tapes* :lol:

Nickokapo
01-01-2003, 04:37 PM
:goofygri:
VCR are my friends too...untill they decide to rebel and not work, then it becomes personal... :evilgrin:

Karpo_007
01-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Well VCR's and VHS's are history soon. Well it will take a couple of years but when Recording DVD players become cheap enough, It's the end for Vhs..

Nickokapo
01-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah...i'm glad it's that way.
I still like vhs and it still has a place in my heart :P but i'm more of a fanatic of digital video now, and it's more useful to me, so i'll be quite happy when that happens, which i bet won't take too many years.

Karpo_007
01-01-2003, 05:07 PM
I like digtal formats more too. The worst thing about VHS's are that they will wear out..

Nickokapo
01-01-2003, 05:56 PM
I agree...that's the thing i dislike the most about vhs, quality...it's not so great to begin with compared to dvd, and it wears out with time.
Official commercial VHS tapes might have better quality and last longer, but it still isn't as good as a dvd.
And you don't have to rewind a dvd, you can choose whatever part of the movie you want, then click and it'll send you there in some seconds :P (heck, most dvds even come separated by chapters)
If you bought a dvd of a series instead of movie, you don't have to rewind to find that episode you want to watch, you just choose it and watch it :D
So yes, vhs may still be good, but now that i discovered digital video, i sure don't wanna go back.It's much more useful to me than analog video like vhs.
P.S: i own more than 20 VHS tapes, and i don't have even 1 dvd :P but still i've used dvds before, and i still prefer em...

Ratking
01-02-2003, 05:47 AM
there is no way that VHS will be finished soon, no way in the world. Too many ppl have them, and alot of ppl cant afford DVDS. Alot of ppl may have things taped from TV that they cant get on DVD alot of movies haven't gone to DVD yet.

Obviously DVD is way better than VHS, but VHS wont go going for a while yet, i mean look at floppy drives, there have been 100's of things that hold more megs than them, yet for what 20 years ppl still have them in there computers up until this day. And music tapes, there still here, they r still around.

Im not a big fan of VHS but it beats VCD anyday and watching ripped TMNT movies by Aneurysm with its poor frames, crap quality and words on the screen through a TV-out card,with a blown up picture is pathetic (although better than nothing........i guess)

I would like to rip all the TMNT cartoon and replace Aneurysm's crappy eps even though he did a great job ripping them all(that great job by doing them all and not great job as in quality ;). I would like to rip all eps but it would be easy and faster if other ppl could chip in and help. Like we could do a certain amount of eps each or one season each or something? any thoughts?

Karpo_007
01-02-2003, 08:37 AM
With Tv-out the picture is much better than when watching from compuuter screen. Why? Because you watch it from a distance. The only problem there becomes the frame rate thing...

Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
01-02-2003, 09:41 AM
the life of a vhs depends on how well you take care of them. A vhs can easily outlast a dvd. A dvd can be permenantly ruined by a measly scratch on the disc. Personally, I'm not picky and I take very good care of my dvd and vhs tapes. And don't diss vhs, soon you'll be dissing DVD they're already making something to replace it.

I totally agree with Deathknight. How long your VHS tapes last depends upon how well you take care of them.

I have had some VHS tapes for over 15 years, and they still work as good today as they did when they were brand new. I'm one of those people who's almost crazy about taking care of things because I want them to last. I don't purchase something with the intentions of it lasting for a little while. I take care of things to make them last for years.

A VHS tape of the Ninja Turtles is as good as it gets . . . for now. I would love for the whole series to come out on DVD, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I will always keep my VHS Ninja Turtles tapes. They are all - with the exception of a couple - in mint condition. I wouldn't sell them or trade them for anything. As long as I continue to take good care of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they last me another 15 years.

Good rule of thumb: Take care of what you have!

"A talking brain, huh?" - Raphael, from "A Thing About Rats"

Karpo_007
01-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Problem is, no matter how good you take care of them, They will wear out. It means you might not be able to watch them everytime you want because you want them to last.

DVD on the other hand, will last forever. Atleast if taken care of. If you use them with caution, they wont get scratched, and that is the only thing that can ruin a DVD.

Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
01-02-2003, 09:51 AM
A DVD is like a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they are superior in sound, picture, and whatever else when you compare them to DVD. On the other hand, however, they are a liability. One little scratch and suddenly the priceless DVD has become nothing more than a shiny useless CD.

You can drop a VHS tape and it will more than likely be fine. You can't always drop a DVD and expect it to be okay. Depending upon which side it falls on, it's 50/50.

I don't think anyone disputes the fact that DVDs are better than VHS tapes. But at least VHS tapes have some protection when they are mishandled. DVDs have no such luxury.

"This is like swimming in a kiddie pool." - Michaelangelo, from "Funny, They Shrunk Michaelangelo"

Karpo_007
01-02-2003, 09:56 AM
True, you have to be more carefull with DVD. The VHS's biggest weakness is, that it will wear out. It is clear that VHS's will become history, but It could take 5+ years.

Kali
01-02-2003, 09:59 AM
I don't know, they said the same thing about records (you know, those big round black things that you put on a turntable) and I have a half-dozen or so that I listen to every now and again.

Karpo_007
01-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Yes, but new ones are not poduced. And my father has lot's of records too. He has almost all Beatles albums and singles! He said he misses only 2...

Kali
01-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Sigh, that's the bad thing about advancing technology, it's really hard to keep up. And once you think you have, you look around and see that it's left you behind.

Tokka-B
01-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Once again, you can scratch the dvd all you want, just clean it up after.... :sleep:

So Virtual video discs are after dvds?

raphael90
01-02-2003, 06:55 PM
How? I tried that crappy putty stuff and wipes from Maxell and unless I used it wrong, it didn't even take any scratches off. Buffing discs also doesn't seem to be the answer...they still skip sometimes. Is there a good cleaning solution that removes scratches and junk? If so...I'd probably buy some. :D

Oh yeah, my friend tried that toothpaste thing once...didn't work either. :lol:

Karpo_007
01-03-2003, 06:57 AM
If the disc is badly scratched, No cleaning will do any good. You have to learn to take care of them.

raphael90
01-03-2003, 08:46 AM
I try...I try :lol:

Tokka-B
01-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Yea, but how is someone going to have their disc THAT badly scratched...you'd have to be pretty dumb :roll:

raphael90
01-03-2003, 03:58 PM
I was actually referring to audio cds. My Dvds are prety scratchless so far because I hardly play them right now.

Ratking
01-04-2003, 06:02 AM
my father has lot's of records too. He has almost all Beatles albums and singles! He said he misses only 2...

which two are they? as i also collect records,cds,vids and DVDs of the greatest band that ever lived

Tokka-B
01-04-2003, 10:54 AM
They aren't the greatest band...

I'd say N'Sync is way better :wink:

But still, they aren't the greatest band....

Nickokapo
01-04-2003, 04:50 PM
I would like to rip all the TMNT cartoon and replace Aneurysm's crappy eps even though he did a great job ripping them all(that great job by doing them all and not great job as in quality ;). I would like to rip all eps but it would be easy and faster if other ppl could chip in and help. Like we could do a certain amount of eps each or one season each or something? any thoughts?
Well higher quality episodes would be nice (y'know, 100 mb or more rips, those are usually good quality even at 320x240), but since they're not on tv anymore (at least not that i know of and anyone can encode from) so that'll be a bit difficult.
Deathknight might encode season 1 in high quality, i dunno about that, i think he mentioned it or something but then nothing else happend, but they'd be vhs rips so quality will not be that good.
He has all the eps in vhs, but some of em are the edited USA ones, so we would still be missing some eps.
I'd stick to the tv rip ones, they're decent quality enough, not the best, but definitely not as bad as the rm ones.
I'm almost sure there will be high quality encodes of the new toon though :)
Yea, but how is someone going to have their disc THAT badly scratched...you'd have to be pretty dumb :roll:
Agreed :roll:

Ratking
01-05-2003, 01:48 AM
They aren't the greatest band...

I'd say N'Sync is way better :wink:

But still, they aren't the greatest band....

um yeah nsync are the best........pffft not. In my opinion and the majority of the worlds opinion the beatles would easily be voted the greatest band ever. Nysnc wouldn't even rank in my top 10000. :P

Ratking
01-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Well higher quality episodes would be nice (y'know, 100 mb or more rips, those are usually good quality even at 320x240), but since they're not on tv anymore (at least not that i know of and anyone can encode from) so that'll be a bit difficult.
Deathknight might encode season 1 in high quality, i dunno about that, i think he mentioned it or something but then nothing else happend, but they'd be vhs rips so quality will not be that good.
He has all the eps in vhs, but some of em are the edited USA ones, so we would still be missing some eps.
I'd stick to the tv rip ones, they're decent quality enough, not the best, but definitely not as bad as the rm ones.

We dont have to wait for death night to encode season 1, as surely most of us have that on tape?, I can encode season 1, 2 and some of season 3 yet after that i have only scattered eps.

When u say "but they'd be vhs rips so quality will not be that good." <-- what do u mean by that nicko? , because i would think that the bought VHS eps would be better than ones tapped of TV, because if your ripping from the bought VHS tapes to com thats what 1st gen and if u ripped from a taped ep from TV that would be 2nd gen as the tape would never be as good as the TV it tapped from.

Also PAL and NTSC is another matter. The quality of PAL is better than NTSC.

would ppl be interested in helping ripping the eps again?

Nickokapo
01-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Well yeah i meant the taped ones would be bad quality (i've seen deathknight's encode of big bug blunder which was encoded from an official vhs i think, it looks pretty good) since they usually have rainbowing or color bleeding, or some other stuff like that.
I wish i could help, but all the tmnt tapes are have are the 2 tmnt movies, and they're in spanish to boot...and i don't even have a video capture card.
Maybe deathknight will be interested, i'll pm him a link to this thread.
I could also try to ask turtlesewer but i dunno if he has any toon tapes.

Ratking
01-05-2003, 02:25 AM
ok man, that sounds great, thx

Nickokapo
01-05-2003, 03:04 AM
No problem :D I've already pmed deathknight, but i'll have to wait till turtlesewer comes back from the camp thingie he's in before i can pm him.

Deathknight
01-05-2003, 11:40 AM
You would not be interested in an entire series from me. I could do all the high quality vhs I have which amounts to about 36 eps or so but the rest I have are copies and the quality is ok to bad on those.

Karpo_007
01-05-2003, 12:25 PM
So are we really going to start replacing the old encodes with new ones? IF so, it's a good Idea. But they need to renamed somehow that people can tell them apart. like [HQ] at the end of the file or something.

Tokka-B
01-05-2003, 12:55 PM
LOL, I was kidding when i said N'Sync was the greatest band....I mean it isn't even better than the Beatles...that is saying a lot...

But Beatles still aren't the greatest band...

Karpo_007
01-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Well Since my facther has all those Beatles records, I have had to listen to the band pretty much. And I must say it has some really good songs. Of course you're avarage 10-14 old kid might still think they are too old...

Nickokapo
01-05-2003, 04:32 PM
You would not be interested in an entire series from me. I could do all the high quality vhs I have which amounts to about 36 eps or so but the rest I have are copies and the quality is ok to bad on those.
See?That's what i'm talking about...we could get most of the officially released on vhs episodes, which aren't so much anyways, and for the rest we'd have to be lucky to find a decent copy of a recorded episode, which is not likely to happen, and encoding a bad copy would be pointless as the point of doing this is to get high quality episodes.
I say let's either encode what's in good quality and leave it at that for now, or just wait to see what happens next month with the new toon, that might make the turtles popular again, and the new toon could be in tv once again, in that case we could get some nice tv rips.

Karpo_007
01-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Yeah, maybe we should wait. It could get on the air eventually.

Nickokapo
01-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Yeah, if it does and gets encoded, we could get those ones instead, so i'd rather wait for now, personally so as for not wasting hard disk space in something i could get in better quality, since i already did once...err, twice...now thrice it seems. (first it was the rms, now aneurysm, so i dont think ill get hq vhs rips if i can get hq tv rips, sorry :P i might after some time if the old cartoon doesnt get aired tho)

Deathknight
01-05-2003, 08:34 PM
There was a really nice quality episode set awhile ago and I was gonna buy it but someone beat me to the buy it now.... I hate it when that happens, all the best deals people get before me.

Nickokapo
01-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Heh...yeah i guess that's one bad thing about auctions, there could always be someone that'll bid on it, maybe at the last minute.
Now for selling it's probably great :D

Ratking
01-06-2003, 02:26 AM
LOL, I was kidding when i said N'Sync was the greatest band....I mean it isn't even better than the Beatles...that is saying a lot...

But Beatles still aren't the greatest band...

ROFL oh soz mani though u were serious hehe, dont worrie some ppl have been serious and have said that.

If the beatles weren't the greatest band than who was? (this i got to hear)

Ratking
01-06-2003, 02:29 AM
I must say it has some really good songs. Of course you're avarage 10-14 old kid might still think they are too old...

great point. I was a pefect example. I would have said "pfft beatles, im not listerning to some bowl headed girls band, i'll just stick with my pantera, metallica and korn thank u very much"

Karpo_007
01-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Well as I said, I have heard their music trough my childhood, so I have learned to like it.

Ratking
01-06-2003, 04:28 AM

See?That's what i'm talking about...we could get most of the officially released on vhs episodes, which aren't so much anyways, and for the rest we'd have to be lucky to find a decent copy of a recorded episode, which is not likely to happen, and encoding a bad copy would be pointless as the point of doing this is to get high quality episodes.

I say let's either encode what's in good quality and leave it at that for now, or just wait to see what happens next month with the new toon, that might make the turtles popular again, and the new toon could be in tv once again, in that case we could get some nice tv rips.

true. thats fair enought too. However just say that they dont air the old series again soon. Yet if we could do just the first 3 seasons in high quality and tage them HG like Karpo said, that would be a good start, instead of going from start to finish which would take ages and like u guys said we dont have every season in high quality.

However it will happen one day anyway, so i just thought now. because even if the old season does air, ppl may have missed some eps, and will be back on the net looking for a certain ep only to find it in crap quailty. I was just thinking we just do the first 2 season and maybe half of the third. Nick i know you cant but if anybody else wants to help it would be quicker. I would just like the ppl that dont have the TMNT on video and can only watch the crappy quailty ones on the net, to have some decent quailty eps, thats all.

If nobody can't help then i will just have to do them on my own, however is there a server we can host them on?

Karpo_007
01-06-2003, 04:34 AM
If you are doing them, I could ditro them to the servers in TMNT-files.

Ratking
01-06-2003, 04:36 AM
yeah man that sounds cool as i dont have a server of my own to host them on. And as soon as i have done them and placed on a server i will delete from my computer so that i wont get sick of them. :D

Karpo_007
01-06-2003, 04:46 AM
Allright.

Nickokapo
01-06-2003, 05:23 AM
:D 'kay, i guess chance of it being in tv again is not all that great anyways, so it'd be good.
I'll try to distro em too, but not in irc since karpo will do that, maybe on kazaa or even direct connect :ohwell: any suggestions? :| 'cause kazaa i dunno if i'll get many uploads, and direct connect, i only know 1 tmnt hub and it's as full as rocksteady's head.

Tokka-B
01-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Ok, The Temptations were the greatest band. Ever. :)

Deathknight
01-06-2003, 01:49 PM
The problem is if TMNT aired again there is a very high chance it would be edited. Some of the later season eps were over 22 minutes long, there's no way most networks would stand for that. Fox Family won't allow a show to be over 21 minutes including theme and credits so think of the horrible editing that might happen.

Nickokapo
01-07-2003, 02:37 AM
:| Never thought about that dk.