PDA

View Full Version : The story of music in your life so far...

verminator_x
01-09-2006, 02:04 AM
what kind of music did you listen to as a child?
do you often listen to it these days?
have your music taste changed since last year or have you always liked the same music?

ok here i go. the story of music from i was a little kid to present day.

5-7 years: my first love for music, was when i heard abba with "super trouper", i still love some of abba s old songs. my parents had a lot of old bee gees and beatles lps, and i liked the soundtrack to saturday night fever.

7-9 years: when we had music in school, we always sing some of the beatles songs, and we had this project about them. i was the only kid in class with glasses so i had john lennon as my favourite beatle.
i also begin to listen to all the eurodance/happy hardcore/rave nonsense.

9-11 years: scooter, yeah that german happy hardcore/eurodance group who are famous for their high pitched smurf voice in their songs, also for their samlpes of old 70s and 80 s hits. "hyper hyper" and "move your ass" was my favourite songs. but also dune, marusha, charly lownoise and mental theo, rmb, dj bobo and masterboy was artist i liked.

11-13 years: prodigy, massive attack, leftfield, oasis, blur, suede, pulp, radiohead, elastica and the soundtrack to "Trainspotting" was my favourite music then.

13-15 years: i begin to listen to public enemy and wu-tang clan, my older cousin loved rap and hip-hop, i tried it out and liked wu-tang member old dirty bastards solo album.

15-17 years: nirvana, alice in chains, sonic youth, tad, mudhoney, pixies and r.e.m.. we did at project in music of the alternative rock explosion in the start of the 90s, and i liked more and more that kind of music.

17-18 years: after i bought gta vice city i begin to love the music from the game more and more. i then got my hands on the soundtrack. i wanted more from the new wave and heavy metal scene. so i alot cds from the human league, gary numan and the tubeway army, adam ant, ultravox, judas priest, motorhead, ozzy, iron maiden, anthrax, megadeth and so on.

18-20 years: a friend of mine rent me tool with "undertow" a cd i still like, but it was "ænima" and "lateralus" that cought my interest for this great band. i tried out dream theater, but i prefered tool instead. also my interest for david bowie and rock from the 60s-70s grew. led zeppelin, black sabbath, the velvet underground, cream, jimi hendrix, frank zappa and so on.

20- and on: joy division and alot groups from the old 70s-80s gothic scene did capture me. in the last moths, ive bought alot of old prog-rock cd from artists like pink floyd,jethro tull, genesis, yes and rush.

dont listen so much to the music i listen to as a child, but the old cds i still got them somewhere.

Sewer Bull
01-18-2006, 04:33 PM
20- and on: joy division and alot groups from the old 70s-80s gothic scene did capture me. in the last moths, ive bought alot of old prog-rock cd from artists like pink floyd,jethro tull, genesis, yes and rush.

Old prog-rock rocks. I see from the other thread you're into Van Der Graaf Generator as well. I've digged them since I was... 18? :roll: "Pawn Hearts" rawks and so does "The least we can do is to wave to each other". I love those albums.

ThirdMarioBro
01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Mostly what I listen to consists of 80's music, Electronica, Video Game Music, Techno, Jpop, Trance, DJ Mixes, and a little Alternitive rock mixed in with a grab bag of other things that I don't consider to be sh*t from whatever genre/era. Sometimes I'll download random Rap just to laugh at the assholes string together as many four letter words they can muster. Idiots. :lol:

I grew up hearing Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Balinda Carslile, and just about anything 80's. It retains a permanant place in my heart.

In the early-mid 90's, Pop music went to hell and video game music REALLY took off, so that became a major core part of my musical life and likely always will.

As time went on, my background in 80's and VGM got me into electronic music in general. Hence the techno and trance stuff, then Rhen got me into Jpop and that's a regular part of my always growing musical library.

Anyways, I just live by one rule. I listen to stuff that dosen't suck. I don't necessiarrly care where it comes from.

The Stryker
01-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Grew up listening to basic 80s stuff some rock but then my father got me into the Rap scene and I never got out of it.

yeah...not really interesting but its here! PRAISE ME!

Spitfire
01-23-2006, 08:13 AM
I grew up with metal and listened to it until I was about 12 or 13 when I decided I wanted to be different then my parents. So I tried to switch to rap but it didn't work or last. I ended up back to metal with in a year and I eventually came to how I am now. Listening to the stuff I do now. Thanks to my Dad mainly because in the year I took away from metal he was always trying to get me into these new bands, ones I listen to now. I still get made fun of for liking rap at one point.

After awhile of metal I started to listen to other stuff. And I began to like a few punk rock bands and instrumental music. So I listen to that too.

JameO
01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I grew up with Country, and I still have a few songs and artists that I really like, they are catchy. Pretty much if it sounds good to me im there. I listen to anything you can name, other than JPop or foreign related bands other than a few german bands I have. But whatever sounds good, the music I love the most is Ska, but followed by that is 60s, 70s and 80s music, I could go for Michael Jackson or Rick James or CCR anytime of the day, any day, its just so good.

Barkworm
01-24-2006, 11:30 AM
I grew up listening to almost no music at all. I always loved Michael Jackson though. At age 15/16 I got into all the different kinds of Rock Music (especially Alternative) and bought CDs like a madman. Recently I somehow lost interest in music. When one of my favourite bands releases a new CD I buy it as soon as I can (the last album I really listened to was QotSA's "Lullabies to Paralyze") but I don't feel like trying something new or even listening to the albums I have.

raphael_is_cool
01-24-2006, 04:24 PM
This is quite an interesting subject. Up until I was about 13-14 I listened to any old pop crap that was put out. Although, some of it is considered classic now...

14-16 - was all about punk and rock. Stuff like The Offspring (got me started) and Green Day, Lit other relatively well known rock bands at the time.

16-18 - was punk and ska. Bands such as Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish mainly. Some punk/ska/rock thrown in with Rx Bandits and some kick-ass rock with Rocket From The Crypt

18-20 - was the above plus a lot more British rock - old and new. The Who, Muse, Snow Patrol, Idlewild. As well as rediscovering classic bands I'd heard from my parents as a child - The Cure, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix.

21 - that's me now. With added Jeff Buckley, Ben Folds and other random things.

damnhooligan
01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I hadn't paid much attention to music until the day I heard my mother's oldies station play "Mas Que Nada" by Sergio Mendes. At 13 years old, I was fascinated by it so much that I spent the next year or so obsessively seeking out the best in bossa nova, samba, jazz, lounge music and so forth. My parents found it amusing and were rather encouraging. I guess they'd do anything to keep me away from the perils of mid-90s pop music.

Around age 16-18 I picked up a great fondness for artists like Prodigy, Beck, Afro Celt Sound System, Portishead, Delerium. NIN and a bunch of others I can't quite remember. I also felt victim to the awe-inspiring beauty that is funk.

Come my first years of college, I ended up digging my heals into more techno thanks to my boyfriend at the time (husband now) who was and still is obsessed with jungle. Aphrodite, DJ Rap, Crystal Method, BT, Chemical Brothers, stuff like that.

When I was 20, I did a stint as a DJ on a couple internet radio stations, which expanded my tastes pretty significantly. On top of a smattering of rock, 80s classics and 70s funk, I sunk my teeth into a lot of underground rap like Jungle Brothers, A Tribe called Quest, Deltron 3030, and so on.

In the past couple of years, I've been far more into the ambient/trip-hop and classical (mostly baroque and classical periods). I still listen to most of the music I listed earlier, but I'm disappointed that my tastes for the louder stuff has been waning. I'm old and boring, oh God!

ThirdMarioBro
01-25-2006, 04:21 AM
You were a DJ? Damn, you have been everywhere haven't you ;)

Bah, anybody can change. I've been on a mental warpath with American music for years, but it all just went away for some reason. I don't know why. All feels so stupid now. Hell, I even turned it willingly to MTV a few days ago. Felt strange as hell but good. I just don't care about hating things anymore. It's caused me to miss so much. I live by a new rule now.

I listen to anything that dosen't suck. Sweet and Simple. Now, I gotta go make my music video collection grow some more.

Hannah
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
When I was little my I listened to whatever my brother would listen to- I wanted to be just like him and stuff. His favorite bands were like, They Might Be Giants, Nirvana, Daft Punk, The Residents, and.. other stuff. Also, he wrote music (he still does), so I'd usually sit outside of the computer room reading or whatching TV and I would subconciously remember the music he wrote. He sent me a CD of his current work a year or so ago, and alot of the music was finished versions of the stuff he started on a long time ago, so I like, new it all... it was weird. But yeah, I was just a lit tle loser copy cat then.
Then I went to middle school, and I was amazed by the crap they had listened to. I remember when the PowerPuff Girls movie came out, that "That's What Girls Do" song was popular... ugh I like stopped liking PPG for a while. I also first heard Rap then (haha yeah I never listened to anything but my brother's music until then) I HATED it so much. x_x
In like 6th grade I started getting into my own music.... like Green Day, NOFX, and Oingo Boingo... but I was really obsessed with InuYasha then and listened to music played in the show and for the theme and stuff... hah. In 7th grade I found out about my chemical romance, and even though the whole loser school liked them, so did I. I didnt like other bands like them, like the used and stuff... ew all they do is scream.
Then I started really getting back into green day. They were like, perfect in every way. Their music was awesome, even though it was annoying how everyone was obsessing with American idiot.. I mean its a good cd, but its their least best..um.. worst.. however you say it, album. I was inspired by tre cool to start drums, and i am going to soon. i got back into nirvana and they mgiht be giants, oingo boingo, and daft punk a little. i found out about murder by death, and theyre pretty good. i admit to liking blink 182 and evanescence. my brother showed me shonen knife, and theyre awesome... so yeah. the beatles and beach boys are awesome too.. yeah Im forgetting alot but there you go!

hannah = loser

BartAllen
01-26-2006, 04:51 AM
I mostly listened to what my mom listened to. up until around 92. then i strated listening to nirvana.. I was int grunge for the longest time.. then around 95 i started listening to wu tang. and other types of rap.
97.. i started listening to the foo fighters.. really cheesy top 40 stuff.

then around 2000. i started listening to zepplin.. ccr.. just good old rock.. now i kind of listen to a little "goth rock" , like HIM. but still mostly zepplin.

Peanut
01-26-2006, 09:03 PM
I really didn't listen to much as a kid, besides what my parents listened to. Around 8 or 9 I started listening to Green Day. I listened to them pretty much up until now, with their ridiculous new emo look. I can't stand it. I listened to some rap back in 98/99, stuff like Snoop Dogg and Run DMC, which I still enjoy. Around 15/16 I started listening to a lot of alt rock. I also had an unhealthy love for Kid Rock's first album. I also had a stint of liking stuff like Weird Al and TMBG.

I heard Rancid for the first time when I was 14 and loved them. They were always my little hook into the Punk/Ska scene that I would grow to love. I really started getting into Punk around 16 with stuff like Rancid and Bad Religion. Rancid's Ska influences eventually brought me to my first ever Ska album, Reel Big Fish's Turn The Radio Off. They brought me to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, which was pretty much as far as I went in Ska back then.

It was around 99/00 that I heard bands like Less Than Jake that combined the wailing guitars of punk bands like Rancid with the up-beat horns of bands like RBF and TMMBT. Those Ska/Punk bands opened up a new world to me that I really didn't explore too much thanks to limited funds for cd's and what not.

In 01/02 I really started digging for good stuff. I came across The Dropkick Murphy's, which re-kindled my love for Punk with the twist of another genre. That's when I started coming across stuff like The Suicide Machines, The Planet Smashers, Catch Twenty-Two, Mustard Plug and The Toasters.

I really haven't looked back since then. I find great new bands all the time and I'm constantly exploring new stuff.

Cerpin Taxt
01-27-2006, 12:30 AM
My mother put headphones on her stomach and played Revolver when I was just a fetus. I guess that's why I'm kind of ****ed up in the head.

But when I was little (age 1-2), and my parents were starting off and living in an apartment, we had a bunch of 8-tracks, an assload of vinyls and some tapes, and all I listened to were the Beatles, Zeppelin and Michael Jackson (who, at that age, I questioned his sexual preference). Right before I turned two, I started playing the piano by attending "Mommy And Me" musical workshops with...my mother.

From ages 3-4, all I did was listen to classic rock, like the Beatles, the Winters (Edgar and Johnny), The Who, ELP and so on and so forth (oh yeah...and Led Zep again).

In 1992, a guy that worked for my dad gave me a box of tapes that he had doubles of. Those that I remember that were in it were Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fine Young Cannibals, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, The Pixies, Guns & Roses, The Clash, Black Flag, Joy Division, David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust FTW), Jane's Addiction, and a few more (the box of tapes are in my bedroom closet right now). I was 6 at the time, and I did nothing but listen to them. Two years later, I started getting really into piano at the music conservatory, performing at recitals and concerts there. After a while, I decided to look into other instruments, so at that same age, I started playing guitar, drums and the alto saxaphone. I was going there 3 day a week for about 4 hours each day, and practicing for countless more.

When I was in 5th grade (I think I was 10) I went to my first real concert (aside from the Raffi concerts I went to when I was little, the beatlesfests I was dragged to and some other random stuff). I don't remember if it was the Bush Razorblade Suitcase tour, the Pumpkins' Infinite Sadness tour, or a Marilyn Manson concert. At the time, I listened to nothing but grunge and alternative rock (and Marilyn Manson).

In 8th/9th grade, I started going into the city every weekend with friends to go see the Upright Citizens Brigade improv troupe perform live. I met some friends there, and we started going to concerts for then-underground local bands the Dresden Dolls, Mindless Self Indulgence, Ted Leo/RX, the Strokes and other bands. I actually got to do some guitar tech/basic roadie work for a few shows for MSI, which was cool. Around the same time, I got a band together and we played a few shows here and there. We even played at the crappy, crappy CBGB, which for some reason still exists.

Now, I just try to listen to at least two new bands every month. I have over 200 gigs of music on an external hard drive that I bought for it, and I always have music playing in the background. Over the past year, I fell in love even more with Queens of the Stone Age and some other obscure bands that nobody really listens to.