PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo = E-Herpes (YIM users please read)

Dr. Doom
05-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Long story short, there's some Spyware (as Ai called it) thing going around Yahoo Messenger. You'll get a random geocities link from someone on your list that leads nowhere substantial, and then you'll start finding taht you've been logged out and told thatt your ID was logged in elsewhere. During that period, the same or a similar link is being sent to everyone on your list. My advice is frankly to spread the word about it. It's already likely gotten around (GWGTrunks/Kid Icarus gave it to me, I gave it to Jo, etc), what I did was sent out a mass message to everyone on my list warning them not to click these mysterious links (since people can get messages they received while offline on YIM).

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of what I should do to get this crap offa my computer (McAffe virusscan came up empty), please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

damnhooligan
05-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Sounds less like a virus and more like you fell for a phishing scam: http://www.trendmicro.com/en/security/phishing/overview/phish051201b.htm

After you clicked the geocities link, did it prompt you to sign in? I advise you to change your password as soon as possible.

EDIT: Yeah, I checked out the link you mass messaged. It's definitely a phishing scam.

Dr. Doom
05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Done and done.