PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Inaccuracies in the old TMNT show

trexmaster
06-07-2006, 02:36 AM
1) Why does Rocksteady have sharp teeth? Rhinos have blunt teeth, like other herbivores.
2) The Tyrannosaurus rex in "Turtles at the Earth's Core" has three fingers, when the real predator only had two.
3) For that matter, dinosaurs could not live at the Earth's core. The temperatures down there rise too high for any lifeforms.
4) Turtles, as ectoterms, would not need to eat so much pizza!
5) Mutations occur long before birth, so mutagen would not affect turtles who had already hatched (but then again, that would ruin the show).

Space Lieutenant Josh
06-07-2006, 03:48 AM
This thread could probably go on forever.

Sewer Bull
06-07-2006, 04:42 AM
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/1784/sweatingdon26ot.gif

Reptiles don't sweat.

trexmaster
06-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Brains don't have eyes or mouths, Krang notwithstanding.

VaughnMichael
06-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Brains don't have eyes or mouths, Krang notwithstanding.
well that doesn't really stand true because we learn in a later season that krang when he clones himself is the head of a body...how the head survived is beyond me.

iris
06-07-2006, 06:55 AM
This thread could never end. It was a fantasy show.

Sage Ninja
06-07-2006, 10:35 AM
1) Why does Rocksteady have sharp teeth? Rhinos have blunt teeth, like other herbivores.

to make him look threatening and mean!

2) The Tyrannosaurus rex in "Turtles at the Earth's Core" has three fingers, when the real predator only had two.

on the old TV.Tome there was a an obsevation in the episode notes, that said that during the time that this episode was realeased, it was not yet offically founded how many fingers the T-Rex had...or something to that effect.

3) For that matter, dinosaurs could not live at the Earth's core. The temperatures down there rise too high for any lifeforms.

they are magical dinos...I mean seriously their life was being sustained by a crystal...sort of reminds me of notes from the under ground

4) Turtles, as ectoterms, would not need to eat so much pizza!

they are turtle people, so they have more human/mamal charactistics than that of a turtle...ever seen the turtles sweat?

5) Mutations occur long before birth, so mutagen would not affect turtles who had already hatched (but then again, that would ruin the show).

it is alien mutagent that is urber powerful :)

trexmaster
06-07-2006, 10:05 PM
they are turtle people, so they have more human/mamal charactistics than that of a turtle...ever seen the turtles sweat?

I know...honestly, if I had creative control of the TMNT franchise, I would have emphasized the reptilian characteristics of the TMNT. Maybe they should get sluggish in cold weather? Or maybe they could have scaly (as opposed to smooth) skin and chelonian claws instead of fingernails.

Cascadia
06-07-2006, 10:48 PM
As mentioned before, this discussion could go on forever. The TMNT was meant to a far-fetched concept to begin with. Everything in the show are not meant to happen in real life..it was a kid's show.

Sage Ninja
06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
I know...honestly, if I had creative control of the TMNT franchise, I would have emphasized the reptilian characteristics of the TMNT. Maybe they should get sluggish in cold weather? Or maybe they could have scaly (as opposed to smooth) skin and chelonian claws instead of fingernails.

Actually I'm glad they didn't emphasize the reptilian quality of the TMNT. Since they acted more like people than actual turtles it made sence to me that they be more mamaline in character than reptile ( I liked their smooth skin, it looked very nice) in fact I kind of wondered what their skin felt like, was it warm or more cool feeling . Although I think it would have made for good plot points if the turtles had some sort of frality to temputure, since they are mutants and should have some biological set backs.

Coola Yagami
06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
If the TMNT looked more like real humanoid turtles... they'd look like Tokka... so thankfully they kept some mammilian qualities...

Drtooth
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
So, basically, we're talking about scientific inaccuracies about a show where turtles get mutated, alien species come out of (and revert to) eggs that look like meatballs, and a walking talking brain in the body of a fat dude with sunglasses that can actually change its size?

Not really an inaccuracy of science, but an inaccuracy of logic... why the shell would Shredder have to use a holographic device to change into street clothes in the Invasion of the Punk Rock Frogs episode? That always bugged me.

Sage Ninja
06-09-2006, 01:19 PM
what I never under stood is why the turtles never got sick while living in the sewer all the time.

Or why the turtles could get slammed by a car or a wall and not crack their shells.

Or how Shredder went to the bathroom in that get-up of his :ohwell:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-12-2006, 09:41 AM
We don't really know how the TMNT experienced winter in the 1987 TMNT cartoon. Few episodes took place during the winter. I only remember snow when Krang used machines to mix with the weather, and their trip to Austria.

Krangstein
08-12-2006, 12:09 PM
The show was not supposed to make sence. It's supposed to be comical. You could go on and on about how things didn't make sence but the whole idea of the show was it was supposed to be very "out there" the 2003 show is no more realistic. All aliens speak english?!? please...

Ohayo Kame
08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
We don't really know how the TMNT experienced winter in the 1987 TMNT cartoon. Few episodes took place during the winter. I only remember snow when Krang used machines to mix with the weather, and their trip to Austria.

It always bugged me that they could run around in the snow barefoot, that's something even mammals can't do. Anyway, I think the biggest collection of scientific inaccuracies can be found in the episode "Sky Turtles." A lot of episodes had questionable logic, but that super and anti-gravity machine caused all sorts of weird things to happen. The worst being when gravity was so strong that when the lady fainted she didn't hit the ground...?

Hamato Yoshi
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
quote : what I never under stood is why the turtles never got sick

Maybe they got sick but it just wasn't a plot device/shown on the toon ?

I guess they take vitamins and things like that , surely Splinter should be familiar with herbs ? (btw , I never get sick personally....last one was 3 yrs ago)

OldSchooler
08-15-2006, 03:28 AM
I seriously cannot believe this thread exists.

Buslady
08-15-2006, 06:49 AM
this is a dumb topic but oh well

How can they go potty without tails? Turtles have tails and do all their busieness theu there) and after all that pizza they eat, with no tails...they can't get rid of what's left ofo it. Hell with all that cheese they take in, it should give em a heart attack too...

Draconic
08-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Oh, well that's an easy one!

See, when they have to go poo, or pee for that matter, they simply lay down. The line down the front of their shells open up, and a line of little weird things, reminescant of nutrinos start marching out, carring containers of nitrogenous waste. They just dump it anywhere, I mean it's a sewer, right?

And when they run out of stuff to move, they hop back in their shells, and zip it back up.

Jeeze, everybody knows that!

Buslady
08-15-2006, 08:11 PM

See, when they have to go poo, or pee for that matter, they simply lay down. The line down the front of their shells open up, and a line of little weird things, reminescant of nutrinos start marching out, carring containers of nitrogenous waste. They just dump it anywhere, I mean it's a sewer, right?

And when they run out of stuff to move, they hop back in their shells, and zip it back up.

:D:lol::lol::lol:

Sage Ninja
08-16-2006, 11:03 AM
how come even though Yoshi was the head of the foot clan, there was still some one who was above him that could throw him out of his post.

If he was the top leader of the Foot clan, than how could that happen? My theory is that Splinter made up that he was the big honcho of the foot clan, just to make the turtles look up to him, and make him feel better about himself. Who knows maybe Yoshi was just a janitor or something :lol:

Ratking
08-20-2006, 08:07 AM
it would be extremely cool (and sad) to make a list of all these inaccuracies and try to counter them (if possible). All we need is somebody with no life and alot of time.:roll:

Krangstein
08-20-2006, 07:06 PM

LOL. This is officially the most interested post I've seen...