PDA

View Full Version : TMNT CGI film synopsis

johnnyblaze
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
I was reading the June 2006 licensing magazine (their website is licensemag.com) and they had a breakdown of some of the new films coming out next year: including Ninja Turtles. Its a brief synopsis but here is what they said:

Strange events are occurring in New York City, and the Turtles are needed more than ever, but Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo have become lost and directionless. With the city at stake, it's up to Leonardo and Zen Master Splinter to restore unity and ninja discipline to the Turtles.

It seems the new film is basically about the turtles needing to find direction in their lives. Something all teenagers need to do which is a bit fitting I think.

Cure
07-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I was reading the June 2006 licensing magazine (their website is licensemag.com) and they had a breakdown of some of the new films coming out next year: including Ninja Turtles. Its a brief synopsis but here is what they said:

Strange events are occurring in New York City, and the Turtles are needed more than ever, but Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo have become lost and directionless. With the city at stake, it's up to Leonardo and Zen Master Splinter to restore unity and ninja discipline to the Turtles.

It seems the new film is basically about the turtles needing to find direction in their lives. Something all teenagers need to do which is a bit fitting I think.

Ugh. It sounds like the movie is gonna be about Leo MORESO than the TV show. I hate how they make it seem how without him they're all so hopeless.

Sliced
07-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I dunno how to react to this. They tried it already in toon, and it didn't worked out too well...

I really hope that they know where they're going with this.

Mecha Cow
07-04-2006, 04:05 PM
My ninja powers tell me this will turn into a debate about whether or not Leonardo is overused.

Anyway, this synopsis is pretty vague, I think we should take it with a grain of salt and wait for something with a bit more meat to it before jumping to conclusions.

Sewer Bull
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM
The tale of leadership and motivation, my ass.

Spitfire
07-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Leo pisses me off, he's such a one sided and boring character. Yeah he's the leader, he carries burden. Yet he has no personality. He acts exactly as you would expect and you cna guess at his every action. The only time I enjoyed Leo was when he was the outcast. I'm sick of Leo solo stories. He's my least favorite TMNT. I don't care if he has more skill then the other TMNT or he's the leader, he's not all that interesting of a character.

So what the other TMNT look stupid and it's up to brave master Leo and Splinter to help them. Leo is the ultimate teacher's pet and I'm surprised his brothers don't rag on him more about that. I know that's how he is supposed to be but they really should focus more things on the other TMNT. It's always Raph and Leo, seldom do we get anything with Don or Mikey. And when we do it's usually something where their in trouble and need saving.

Gary
07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Sounds like the Scooby Doo movie.

Anarchistguy
07-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Agreed. Don is the LEAST explored TMNT of the group. I hate how he's almost always at the bottom. It's always either Leo or Raph who hog all the spotlight. Sure, Raph is my favorite turtle, but god damn it, there ARE limits.

Leo pisses me off, he's such a one sided and boring character. Yeah he's the leader, he carries burden. Yet he has no personality.

ALL leader-type characters are like that. They only things in their heads are their duties as leader and giving orders. Look at Cyclops (X-Men), Optimus Prime(Transformers), Princess Sally (Sonic SatAM) and old toon Leo.

Ecto Jedi
07-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Anyway, this synopsis is pretty vague, I think we should take it with a grain of salt and wait for something with a bit more meat to it before jumping to conclusions.

I agree with this guy. We should perhaps put off getting all bent out of shape over such a meagre synopsis until we get the full story.

Jo Dawn
07-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Agreed. Don is the LEAST explored TMNT of the group. I hate how he's almost always at the bottom. It's always either Leo or Raph who hog all the spotlight. Sure, Raph is my favorite turtle, but god damn it, there ARE limits.

S'why I use Donnie alot in my fics and try to explore sides of all of them that I wish they would more often. (Shameless pimpage) :)

But, uh... I love Leo, but... Man, I hope this isn't all just him and Splinter having to save the rest of their butts. :|

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Here's my take on it.

it'll never happen i know, but it'd be cool if there could be 4 movies, one with each character at the center. That way each character gets their respect and total concentration on each film. Each film has the tone of the character. like Raphael would be darker and edgier...Mikey with a little more comedy....Donny with a little more technological vibe....etc. Yes, i know it'll never happen, but it would be a cool idea i think to do some day (in live action of course). 4 seperate stories/movies that also has an underlining story arc between them.

Buslady
07-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Like I always say, it's always Leo.
Don't they know ninja-ing and discipline isn't the solution to the problem. Ugh.

I wouldn't mind a little Don centric either, but I need a good dose of Raph as well.

gobo
07-04-2006, 10:37 PM

This is a good point, but remember who's footing the bill. Warner Bros. movies based on comic properties often are that simple and unsatisfying, especially the animated ones. So, while we shouldn't jump to conclusions, we should still fear the possibility of oncoming lameness. Don't forget about their scrapped 2001 series*. Would you have appreciated that? If so, then don't worry. It's unlikely that the movie will be any worse than that. I'm all for giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, but we fans should stay on our toes. Since this isn't a DC property, WB would have little reason to give TMNT a second shot if they (WB) screw this movie up.

* http://www.ninjaturtles.com/warner/warner.html

OldSchooler
07-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Warner Bros. movies based on comic properties often are that simple and unsatisfying, especially the animated ones.

Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, Superman, Superman II, Superman Returns, V for Vendetta, History of Violence... sure Forever wasn't great and Batman and Robin was not worth mentioning, and the Superman sequels are whatever fans make of them (never a fan of the character myself), but they were far from simple or unsatisfying. And the animated ones were given pretty decent goes. Mask of the Phantasm is fantastic, as is Return of the Joker (WB even brought out 2 versions of it), Sub-Zero was good too, and because I never really dug Superman I never really watched the animated films. But how many RECENT efforts of the WB have gone wrong?

I'm pretty sure if the WB turtles had've come out first we'd be loving them, the concept doesn't look that far off what we've got, the visuals are just a very different style. I'm pretty sure we'd be getting the same sort of stories, and if WB were smart (which they clearly are, given how successful the Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League were - hell, there's even Krypto now for god's sake!) we'd be getting a pretty good product overall. Besides which I'm pretty sure WB are simply putting money into TMNT to get a truckload back, I doubt there's any creative strangling happening here (also based on what Laird has said about the film in the letters columns).

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
07-04-2006, 11:31 PM

Hmmm, this sounds like it could be pretty intersting. It sounds kinda character driven, which is good. And I would love to see some inner conflict thrown in there, but I still hope it has some good action scenes.

I'm even more excited for this movie.

VaughnMichael
07-05-2006, 04:39 AM
hmm this all had me wondering what time period this movie takes place in the turtles lives...and what universe it's based on....I really wonder if it's going to take place in the future or like after they get back from the future and decide they want to do other things with there lives.
I am sick of Leonardo also but at this point I just want a freaking good movie and some damn good voice actors. And for the film to not look like every other halfassed cgi film.

iris
07-05-2006, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info, johnnyblaze!

Yay for character-driven-ness!

So that's a breakdown by someone at the magazine? That's an extremely simplistic summary of what might be a complicated family conflict. Not much to go on, really. I don't understand the complaints about this being Leo-centric. To me he and Splinter look somewhat marginalized (they're not doing anything unusual).

I hate when they call him Zen Master Splinter.

Aztec General
07-05-2006, 10:30 AM
This story sounds great actually. It's about character people!! That's supposed to be good news. Sheesh.

Where's all of this anti-Leo rage coming from? Leo is the heart and soul of the TMNT. Of course he should play a significant role in the new film. Leo is the "older" brother who wants to keep his father's vision alive for his younger brothers.

Sage Ninja
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
what is with all the Leonardo hateing, GOD!! I mean I under stand that it sucks when the other turtles are made out to be helpless children when Leonardo is not around but seriously I think the episode where the turtles had to split up because Karai was trying to kill them shows that they can do just fine fending for themselves if they had too. Also I'm glad this is going to be more character driven than sci-fi (or it would appear) because I was really scared that this was going to be turtles in space type of movie and to be honest I'm a little tired of that.

Leo is the ultimate teacher's pet and I'm surprised his brothers don't rag on him more about that

Actually the other turtles ragged on Leo for his being a teachers pet and overly dedicated to responciabilty and just being a stick in the mud in the old toon.

It's always Raph and Leo, seldom do we get anything with Don or Mikey. And when we do it's usually something where their in trouble and need saving

Actaully I thoufht the classic toon gave Donatello plenty of screen time and attention. Heck he was the reason the turtles won every battle in the past. But you are right Michaelangelo and Donatello in most mediums get sort of gyped when it comes to character centric moments that don't involve them needding there asses saved. And I'm sick to death of both Mike and Don getting cast in these two-demnicional sterotypical rolls of goof-ball and tech guy :evil: . There is more to the boys than that I for one would like to more depth given to them that what has been accorded to them in the past.

Vincent
07-05-2006, 11:43 AM
ALL leader-type characters are like that. They only things in their heads are their duties as leader and giving orders. Look at Cyclops (X-Men), Optimus Prime(Transformers), Princess Sally (Sonic SatAM) and old toon Leo.
Not to mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Spitfire
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Not to mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
She didn't annoy me as much because the show is called "BuffY The Vampire Slayer" TMNT isn't called Leonardo and the TMNT. It's called TMNT damn it and the show seems so focused on him sometimes they might as well change the name to that.

iris
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
This story sounds great actually. It's about character people!! That's supposed to be good news. Sheesh.

Where's all of this anti-Leo rage coming from? Leo is the heart and soul of the TMNT. Of course he should play a significant role in the new film. Leo is the "older" brother who wants to keep his father's vision alive for his younger brothers.
I wouldn't go so far as to call Leo the Heart and Soul, but I totally agree.

Of course Leo gets much attention. He is the leader and therefore he makes the most actions that move the plot forward. This automatically puts him in the spotlight unless he is not there to lead. I see nothing wrong with that. And yes, he got extra attention in the last season of the current series, but so what? The anger over any of this makes no sense.

Were I strictly a Leo fan, I feel I'd be a tad annoyed that Leo is doing the same-ol' same-ol' as usual. I'm not strictly a fan of any of them, but if this movie turns out to be *gasp* All About Leo, I'd probably still like it.

Mecha Cow
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I think most people are referring to the New 'Toon version of Leo, where he can be a bit of a Mary Sue sometimes. I never had problem with him in the Mirage comics.

I just hope the movie writers realise TMNT is about a group of BROTHERS, and that each of them plays his own vital part.

OldSchooler
07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I think another problem here is that they've used the new show's logo as promotional material for the CGI film, and people seem to be getting it in their heads that the two are related. We've been told they aren't. This is supposedly a follow up to the movies.

iris
07-05-2006, 03:30 PM
I think another problem here is that they've used the new show's logo as promotional material for the CGI film, and people seem to be getting it in their heads that the two are related. We've been told they aren't.
I think you might be right. The promo for this movie has been incredibly sucky. Probably underfunded and understaffed.

This is supposedly a follow up to the movies.
I keep wondering what that means for April. Assuming she's in it.

I just noticed that IMDB for this film has changed once again. Is this our new Casey Jones? (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0283594/)

Anarchistguy
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM

I don't mind that, but as long as they don't forget about the others and lower them.

Sewer Bull
07-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I think you might be right. The promo for this movie has been incredibly sucky. Probably underfunded and understaffed.

What? What promo?

Did I miss something?

Masked Ninja
07-05-2006, 10:28 PM
I hope they don't make it all about Leo, but I object to the argument that he's one-dimensional. Personally, I'd love to see them ALL adrift (maybe separate for a little bit?) and have Splinter remind them that they're a family and need to act like one.

So long as Leo is flawed and the others aren't underplayed, it'll be fine. Let them make Leo the leader - it's what he's supposed to be. I'd love to see more of Don and Mikey being cool... but their personalities are more laid back, and it makes sense for them to hang in the back if their characters would. *shrug* Though some cool nunchaku and bo fighting scenes would rock. :)

But yeah... sometimes magazines oversimplify things. I'll be waiting until the movie actually comes out to make my judgement.

iris
07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
What? What promo?
Exactly. :P

(I was referring to the thrown-together 'posters', empty website, and also the licensing show/magazine stuff that was done safely away from the evil prying eyes of the general public.)

Buslady
07-05-2006, 10:58 PM
"The Adventures of Leonardo and his Brothers"
there's the new title of the show. :P

I had that "Zen Master" Splinter thing too Iris. He is Ninja Master! Duh!

What publicity, what promoting? It's casue they got a two bit unknown company to animate for one, and secondly WB don't give a care about TMNT...i doubt they'll bother with a commercial for it.

Why oh why couldn't Pixar do it...with what I saw in Cars, the TMNT would look spectacular. I forgot the whole Cars universe wasn't real it was sooo believeable.

lambofun
07-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Leonardo is focus and wants to become the best he can be, he knows Master Splinter can take him to new heights.

johnnyblaze
07-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info, johnnyblaze!

Yay for character-driven-ness!

So that's a breakdown by someone at the magazine? That's an extremely simplistic summary of what might be a complicated family conflict. Not much to go on, really. I don't understand the complaints about this being Leo-centric. To me he and Splinter look somewhat marginalized (they're not doing anything unusual).

I hate when they call him Zen Master Splinter.

the Zen thing sounded weird to me when I read it to. The info was in this licensing magazine my father had. I was reading the articles and they had a break down of some of the newer films, including this, and the licensing and promotional partners.

The breakdown is pretty vague. It makes me wonder exactly how out of it the others are. I'm hoping its something along the lines of them questioning how they fit in the world. If this takes place after they got rid of Shredder, and its based on the comics, it could deal with the aftermath. Considering in the comics they were trained to take down Shredder, what happens now that they have. What's left for them. It could be as if their training is a double edged sword. For Leo it gives him a feeling of purpose and betterment but the others don't think like Leo. They think outside the box. Let's face it their ninjas. Their trained to kill and even though they are nice guys they also happen to be very very good at it. It could be about them questioning why they do what they do, and Leo and Splinter trying to balance the violence with the spiritual aspect not so much as leader and mentor but as brother and father wanting to reach out to their family. And in turn hopefully Leo learns more about them as well, and why they do and act the way they do. Atleast that is what i'd like to see.

iris
07-06-2006, 12:19 AM
What publicity, what promoting? It's casue they got a two bit unknown company to animate for one, and secondly WB don't give a care about TMNT...i doubt they'll bother with a commercial for it.
It's a little early to guess whether they'll do a commercial. They WILL advertise in some way, closer to premiere time, and it's WB... they're huge, so it won't be that terrible.

I don't really care if it's an unknown company. It's not Pixar, no, but I don't see a good reason to really trust Disney with TMNT either.

Unknown or not, there are things that they could be doing to advertise even without an advertising budget. For example, if they got their artists to spin out a few cool-looking banners and put them up on their site, how many people would post them on their websites or in their sigs? Loads. What if they kept a secretive, teasing, film-makers' blog? What if they talked to morning zoo radio shows who are always grasping for something interesting to talk about (or, ok, make fun of)? The cost of these things would be pretty much zilch. Chances are, they're struggling to make the best product they can make on a schedule that's too short for their liking, and aren't thinking that far ahead... but still... it would be nice if they did.

If this takes place after they got rid of Shredder, and its based on the comics, it could deal with the aftermath. Considering in the comics they were trained to take down Shredder, what happens now that they have. What's left for them. It could be as if their training is a double edged sword.
That could be interesting. :)

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
07-06-2006, 02:33 AM
the Zen thing sounded weird to me when I read it to. The info was in this licensing magazine my father had. I was reading the articles and they had a break down of some of the newer films, including this, and the licensing and promotional partners.

The breakdown is pretty vague. It makes me wonder exactly how out of it the others are. I'm hoping its something along the lines of them questioning how they fit in the world. If this takes place after they got rid of Shredder, and its based on the comics, it could deal with the aftermath. Considering in the comics they were trained to take down Shredder, what happens now that they have. What's left for them. It could be as if their training is a double edged sword. For Leo it gives him a feeling of purpose and betterment but the others don't think like Leo. They think outside the box. Let's face it their ninjas. Their trained to kill and even though they are nice guys they also happen to be very very good at it. It could be about them questioning why they do what they do, and Leo and Splinter trying to balance the violence with the spiritual aspect not so much as leader and mentor but as brother and father wanting to reach out to their family. And in turn hopefully Leo learns more about them as well, and why they do and act the way they do. Atleast that is what i'd like to see.

Well said, if thats the case then this movie will own.

OldSchooler
07-06-2006, 02:59 AM

It's one of the biggest money spinners on the market. They will advertise. If the WB don't care, why did they want it before and why the sudden interest now? They want money. They want money, they need people in the cinemas. For that to happen, they need people to know about the film, for THAT to happen they need to advertise.

Ra
07-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Come on people, smile for a change. This is just a rough plot line, not a cemented, five second deal. Sure, it sounds disapointing right now, but we haven't seen the final product. And who knows? It could be one of the greatest CGI movies ever made! Sure, I have doubts with WB, but what choice do we have but to flow with it? My advice? Don't bitch and whine about what a crappy plot teaser. As long as the end product is good. Okay?

Sewer Bull
07-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Exactly. :P

(I was referring to the thrown-together 'posters', empty website, and also the licensing show/magazine stuff that was done safely away from the evil prying eyes of the general public.)

Oh, I see. I thought I missed something.

That really sucks. It's like... 9 months left? Let's check it out:

http://bn.lilypie.com/sNh7p2/.png (http://lilypie.com)

8 months, 3 weeks and 3 days left - and we still didn't see much from Imagi studios. Time is ticking away.

<don't look at me like that, pretend it's just a turtle van driving over Leatherhead - and he's over-sized, for that matter>

Ra
07-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Aww...ain't that cute? ^_^

Whitewolf89
07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
I think the synopsis sounds pretty good, actually. March 2007 seems kinda far away, now that we know pretty much what the movie is gonna be about (basically), but it seems like it will be well worth the wait. I just hope that the bloomin' theatre down HERE gets it in! *huffs* It'd be JUST like"The Glass Sword" NOT to! The ninnywits.:P:roll:

Also, it cost $7.50 for adults to GO to a movie here...UNLESS you count the other, smaller one that's here in West Plains. THAT one just cost $3.50 per adult.:lol:

Peace.

gobo
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Imagi is also doing a Highlander animated feature (with the director of "Final Flight of the Osiris" from "The Animatrix"), and that's also hardly known about. The official Highlander site doesn't even acknowledge it. Imagi even has a trailer up for it, but it won't play unless you download the whole Shockwave file, which most people wouldn't care to spend the time and effort involved. But, out of all the franchises I'm interested in, I really shouldn't care about this one. It's apparent that its creators don't.

Oh, and my point in the earlier post is that WB doesn't give a mutant rats rear-end if they screw up the movie. So, thanks for supporting my complaint. All it would mean for WB is that they don't have to do a follow-up. This is the reason we fans need to stay vigilant.

Masked Ninja
07-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Why oh why couldn't Pixar do it...with what I saw in Cars, the TMNT would look spectacular. I forgot the whole Cars universe wasn't real it was sooo believeable.Amen to that... not sure if the Pixar guys would want to take something like that on, but that doesn't mean I don't think they should. :P

Or... Weta. I have sat around and daydreamed of how the TMNT would look if Weta were in charge...

*sigh* Hopefully these guys don't disappoint. I'm already starting to warm up to their models, so... *shrug*

Sliced
07-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Rethinking about all of this, I don't understand why you guys are all so concerned about leo being the star of the four bros.

If you look closer at the previous tmnt movies, you will see that leo never had the spotlight right on him.

In the first movie, it was raph. Leo came in second to him. In the second movie (just take keno out of the picture...) again it was Raph who had the biggest role of the four. In my opinion, donnie came in second, then it was leo. Don really got some attention in secret of the ooze. Since the movie was really science oriented, so don was fitting perfectly.

In the third movie, it was mainly mikey's turn. Then raph. Leo again, came right behind raph.

So I say ok, let Leo have the spotlight this time. He had some good parts in the previous films, but this time, it would be cool to have him up front.

The only thing though is the cartoon, where leo was the star, so they will have to be very careful about all of this. Of course, not letting the other bros behind this time.

gobo
07-07-2006, 05:27 PM
In the third movie, it was mainly mickey's turn.
Mickey Mouse was in the third movie? :D :| Forget I said that. But, perhaps I'm a little furry-- I mean "fuzzy" on TMNT3 (in as much as I don't really care to see it ever again), but how do you propose that the focus was on MichAelangelo? He was never that deep a character to the best of my knowledge, but I recall that he was probably the focus of more than his share of classic 'toon episodes. I'm not saying your wrong. I'm just asking for a refresher.

Sliced
07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
He was the main turtle in this one mainly because of his ''relationship'' with Mitsu, the leader of the rebellion. Mikey fell in love with Mitsu, therefore putting him ahead of his brothers right away as the ''star'' of the movie.

The other turtles had their share of moments too, Raph getting friend with little Yoshi, Mitsu's little brother. Who himself was saved by ? Michelangelo. Leo did his part in it, but its Mikey who was the heroic turtle who jumped into the flames to save Yoshi..

So, do you see or remember, now why Michelangelo was the star of the third movie ?

Cure
07-07-2006, 07:34 PM
He was the main turtle in this one mainly because of his ''relationship'' with Mitsu, the leader of the rebellion. Mickey fell in love with Mitsu, therefore putting him ahead of his brothers right away as the ''star'' of the movie.

The other turtles had their share of moments too, Raph getting friend with little Yoshi, Mitsu's little brother. Who himself was saved by ? Michelangelo. Leo did his part in it, but its Mickey who was the heroic turtle who jumped into the flames to save Yoshi..

So, do you see or remember, now why Michelangelo was the star of the third movie ?

Dude, I think all those times you mean MIKEY. No "C".

Sliced
07-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah sorry about that. I always saw mikey being typed ''mickey'', but that was in french...

Won't happen ever again I promise http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/974.gif http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/229.gif

iris
07-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Don really got some attention in secret of the ooze. Since the movie was really science oriented, so don was fitting perfectly.
*blinks*

"secret of the ooze" ... "science oriented"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*ahem* Sorry. :)

Really though, I've never felt that any of them were the "star" of any movie. They're all a little larger than life.

Sliced
07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Of course it was science oriented... A scientist, a secret solution, mutant flowers, a remedy hidden in ice cubes hidden in donnuts... Its all science ! ... :x and don't forget an extinct species, the homosapiens vanillum icus !

You see ! Oh, and there was a computer !

As for the ''stars'' thing, each turtle had an important role in every movie, but like the example of Mikey, each movie had one of them who was playing a more important role...

iris
07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
My bad. Science. Lots of science! ;)

Haha... I always knew that guy was a different species.

Sliced
07-07-2006, 10:49 PM
My bad. Science. Lots of science! ;)

Haha... I always knew that guy was a different species.

Yeah, he was the only one of his kind. Too bad... :lol:

VaughnMichael
07-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Also, it cost $7.50 for adults to GO to a movie here...UNLESS you count the other, smaller one that's here in West Plains. THAT one just cost $3.50 per adult.:lol:

Peace.
must be nice theaters here in los angeles can cost anywhere from 12.00 per person to 15.00 :dead:

TerranigmaFreak
07-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Man, I just LOVE the logic you people use here.

Ok, let me get this straight, we're talking about a movie where 3 of the Turtles have lost their way in life and you guys think this will be a movie where Leo meditates for 90 minutes!?!?!? Yes, Leo is the leader, he is level headed, he's spiritually enlightened, whatever! Wait, there are movie about level headed people who knows their way in life? Not that I know of. I know plenty of movies where they talk about people who's lost their way in life. Leo and Splinter will play their parts, but I see the other 3 getting the spotlight, not Leo. Unless this is a 90 minute movie about Leo meditating.

Ryona
07-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Leo and Splinter will play their parts, but I see the other 3 getting the spotlight, not Leo. Unless this is a 90 minute movie about Leo meditating.

Um, that's a little stereo-typical, don't you think?

It's safe to say that Leo is the main character in the new series (which is no surprise since it's based on the comics and he's always had the lead role in that too), and I don't recall any episodes where Leo is meditating through the majority of them. Infact, if anything, Leo is the most action-oriented one out of them all. Whenever there's attention put on Leo in the series, it's always big things that revolve around alot of epic butt-kicking action.

TerranigmaFreak
07-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Um, that's a little stereo-typical, don't you think?

It's safe to say that Leo is the main character in the new series (which is no surprise since it's based on the comics and he's always had the lead role in that too), and I don't recal any episodes where Leo is meditating through the majority of them. Infact, if anything, Leo is the most action-oriented one out of them all. Whenever there's attention put on Leo in the series, it's always big things that revolve around alot of epic butt-kicking action.

Err... I think you missed my point.

Ryona
07-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I probably did.

I'm just worked up and annoyed that people are comming down on Leo.

"Oh no! The lead character is getting the most attention! :o "
Well, no duh. That's pretty typical in just about anything.

I have yet to see a group of fighters from any genre in which the leader doesn't get the most focus.

With that aside, I would really like Don to get alot of attention in this movie. Raph has Movie 1, so we don't need to see much of him. But like it's been said, Don isn't explored much. We definetly need more Don.

iris
07-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Man, I just LOVE the logic you people use here.

Ok, let me get this straight, we're talking about a movie where 3 of the Turtles have lost their way in life and you guys think this will be a movie where Leo meditates for 90 minutes!?!?!? Yes, Leo is the leader, he is level headed, he's spiritually enlightened, whatever! Wait, there are movie about level headed people who knows their way in life? Not that I know of. I know plenty of movies where they talk about people who's lost their way in life. Leo and Splinter will play their parts, but I see the other 3 getting the spotlight, not Leo. Unless this is a 90 minute movie about Leo meditating.
That's what I'm thinking. If this movie is gonna show preferential treatment to anyone, it's more likely to be the guys who are having the problems. Not that we can know either way, at this point.

And Ryona, I disagree... I don't feel at all like Leo is the "main character" of the new series, even if he got a bit more focus last season. *shrug* But I do like to see Don's character developed... he's so subtle.

Ryona
07-08-2006, 11:03 AM
And Ryona, I disagree... I don't feel at all like Leo is the "main character" of the new series, even if he got a bit more focus last season. *shrug*

Meh. That's fine. I expect that not everyone wants to see Leo as the lead character.

I'm sure that's why in Wikipedia, in Leo's profile, it says "He is also, arguably, the main character of the TMNT stories."

Some of the fanbase just doesn't want to accept Leo's role, and that's fine.
We all perceive it differently.

TerranigmaFreak
07-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah, Iris sees what I'm getting at. Movies don't star people who have no troubles with their lives. They don't make good movie material. I'm not a Leo hater, I'm also a Leo fan. I don't understand how to Leo haters can come up with the idea about him being the star when he's the one with the most boring part of the movie. Well, ok, that's not really true. I mean, Leo will be helping his brothers, but from the description, I honestly can't see how Leo can out shine the other 3 in the interest department. When I first read the description, the first thing that came to my mind is what could possibly be affecting a happy go lucky person like Mikey? Ok, Raph, I can understand, but Mikey AND Don's also lost their way? The first thing that grabs my attention is not Leo.

Perhaps the reason they think Leo will be the star is because he shares a single common problem. We don't know if the other 3 suffers from the same problem, or each one of them with a different problem. But again, Leo's problems are easy to understand (and probably predictable) just by reading the little preview. To me, there's more mystery behind the other 3 and what's troubling them. That's what got my juices following.

Unless this entire movie is a self help movie where Leo and Splinter dish out meditating tips and home decoration advise for 90 minutes.

Some of the fanbase just doesn't want to accept Leo's role, and that's fine.
We all perceive it differently.

I love all 4 of them equally. I can't see the franchise being this successful if any one of them were missing. The turtles are interesting because of the 4 different personalities.

Sage Ninja
07-08-2006, 11:20 AM
but how do you propose that the focus was on Michaelangelo? He was never that deep a character to the best of my knowledge, but I recall that he was probably the focus of more than his share of classic 'toon episodes. I'm not saying your wrong. I'm just asking for a refresher.

You know i'm tired of people saying that Michaelangelo has the least amount of depth of the turtles because that is not true. I mean come on, like his brothers he is a freak of nature that can't live a normal life. And I think next to Raphael, Michaelangelo hungers for normallity the most out of all of them. Each of the turtles have their own nuances, and Michaelangelo's nuance is that he is a extraverted socialble character in a family of misfits who--by virture of their profession as ninjas and freaks, need to be intraverted and stealthy and discreet, which seems to be really at odds with Michaelangelo's exuberate personality.

Its apperent in most mediums that he trys to model his behavior and actions toward normality and things that a normal teenager would do, like his love for comics and super hero's. If you've noticed Mike is the one that goes out to interact with others (people) and make friends (not that the others don't) but he seems to need it more than them. Not to mention of all the turtles he is the only one with out a definable niche in the team dynamic and I think its because the whole team dynamic isn't cut for his personality type. Because of his seeming reliance on social interation, and the fact that he can't get it because of what he is gives him some depth. So I don;t think its fair to say that he isn't a character with out allot of depth.

Ryona
07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Damn straight, Sage Ninja. I totally agree.

And I agree with you too, TerranigmaFreak.

Don, Raph, and Mikey having to deal with personal problems will definetly make them interesting in the movie.

That's what made Raph interesting in the first movie when he was dealing with his little "crisis" (even though there was a ridiculously exessive amount of attention put on Raph), and it's what made Leo interesting in the new series when he was dealing with his inner demons.

If Leo's part is just to unite the other three who have gone astray, that honestly doesn't sound too interesting for Leo.
I do hope there will be more to it than that.

iris
07-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm sure that's why in Wikipedia, in Leo's profile, it says "He is also, arguably, the main character of the TMNT stories."
If it says that, it's inaccurate (well, you know, it's Wikipedia). Leo just has the most action-oriented role. That doesn't make him the main character any more than Aragorn is the main character of Lord of the Rings, despite all the misguided people who view him that way. (Clearly, it's Sam. ;))

Actually, it looks like someone has edited the Wiki. It doesn't say that.

Anyway, I don't see the point of getting an ulcer over who might get a tiny bit more spotlight than who else. We really have no info, and I like all of them enough that I don't care who gets more attention. I'll be satisfied with a convincing story, animation that's not distractingly bad, some interesting interactions between the main characters, and at least one kick-trash fight. In other words, just a watchable movie. What can I say, I'm easy. :D But I feel we'll get much, much more than that.

Ryona
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
If it says that, it's inaccurate (well, you know, it's Wikipedia). Leo just has the most action-oriented role. That doesn't make him the main character any more than Aragorn is the main character of Lord of the Rings, despite all the misguided people who view him that way. (Clearly, it's Sam. ;))

Um, no. It's not inaccurate. To be fair, all four of them are the main characters, but it's Leo who's the lead character.
This role of his has been visibly present since the very first comic book when Leo began narrating the story, spoke for the TMNT when they confronted the Shredder, delivered the death blow, and followed with the famous "We are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We strike hard and fade away... into the night" at the end of the comic book.

Although from what I know, it's never been stated in the official TMNT site that Leonardo is the leading character, it's still one of these cases where if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's most likely a duck.
So why dismiss the clear indications of his role?

Though you can choose to see it how ever you want regardless. That's fine.

Actually, it looks like someone has edited the Wiki. It doesn't say that.

http://www.answers.com/topic/leonardo-tmnt

Again, you can see it how ever you want to see it. But putting down Wikipedia is a bit much. It has a respectible reputation and it's infact regarded by most as the number one source for information on the Web.

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything. I'm just making things clear.

iris
07-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Um, no. It's not inaccurate. To be fair, all four of them are the main characters, but it's Leo who's the lead character.
This role of his has been visibly present since the very first comic book when Leo began narrating the story, spoke for the TMNT when they confronted the Shredder, delivered the death blow, and followed with the famous "We are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We strike hard and fade away... into the night" at the end of the comic book.

Although from what I know, it's never been stated in the official TMNT site that Leonardo is the leading character, it's still one of these cases where if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's most likely a duck.
So why dismiss the clear indications of his role?

Though you can choose to see it how ever you want regardless. That's fine.Yeah, I know Leo was the first narrator, and he's the leader.... but that still doesn't make him the main character. I don't think we're gonna agree about this one, Ryo. Funny you should bring up ducks though, 'cause my friends used to end circular conversations by agreeing that the duck quacks at midnight. (non sequitor)

And I wasn't trying to dis' Wikipedia at all. Some of my friends and colleagues and I are regular contributors. But as much as the editors try to keep The Sacred Wikipedian "Neutral Point of View" in the articles, lots of opinionated things things slip through because it's edited by the general public. It's a great resource to start looking for information (I use it all the time), but I would hesitate to rely on its contents.

The TMNT articles tend to attract a whole bunch of vandals (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles&diff=42877785&oldid=42877736) and wackos (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles&diff=31633049&oldid=31632337) too, amusing as they are sometimes. I fixed the Mikey info once because it basically said Mike was a stoned loser... and that wasn't done by a vandal or a wacko, just an opinionated editor. So I tend to have a "well it's Wikipedia" reaction when I get Wikipedia quoted to me.

Masked Ninja
07-08-2006, 11:22 PM
The Leo argument aside...

I'm just really happy with the idea because it implies a focus on personality and character development more than a simple trash-'em-smash-'em fest. That alone gives me significant hope for the movie. Something else that would make me throw a party would be an assurance that all heroes and enemies will be 100% Earth-grown. :trazz:

I also will be waiting for the trailer to hit the internet. I want to see what kind of visuals we're going to be getting - the kind of animation quality...
*fidgets*

VaughnMichael
07-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah, Iris sees what I'm getting at. Movies don't star people who have no troubles with their lives. They don't make good movie material. I'm not a Leo hater, I'm also a Leo fan. I don't understand how to Leo haters can come up with the idea about him being the star when he's the one with the most boring part of the movie. Well, ok, that's not really true. I mean, Leo will be helping his brothers, but from the description, I honestly can't see how Leo can out shine the other 3 in the interest department. When I first read the description, the first thing that came to my mind is what could possibly be affecting a happy go lucky person like Mikey? Ok, Raph, I can understand, but Mikey AND Don's also lost their way? The first thing that grabs my attention is not Leo.

Perhaps the reason they think Leo will be the star is because he shares a single common problem. We don't know if the other 3 suffers from the same problem, or each one of them with a different problem. But again, Leo's problems are easy to understand (and probably predictable) just by reading the little preview. To me, there's more mystery behind the other 3 and what's troubling them. That's what got my juices following.

Unless this entire movie is a self help movie where Leo and Splinter dish out meditating tips and home decoration advise for 90 minutes.

I love all 4 of them equally. I can't see the franchise being this successful if any one of them were missing. The turtles are interesting because of the 4 different personalities.

See you just said it that's the thing I think everyone is worried about...because lord know everyone here worries about every little thing...I think the tmnt fan base must have the highest blood pressure rate of any fan base haha.:lol: is it being all about one turtle...
Now before you say it isn't what i got from that was it being all splinter and leo running around the entire movie hunting down the guys...because we've seen it before in the new show....they didn't even need his help but they sure spent an entire episode with him hunting them down and making him out to be some kind of hero.
It's not even a big deal but to me a movie with splinter(which I can't want to see what he looks lke btw) and leo running all over god's green earth (heh) is just down right boring to me and I think allot of others...I mean seriously if the bad cgi hasn't scared off enough people allready.:roll:

AquaParade
07-10-2006, 12:00 PM
The info given really doesnt seem like enough info to start ranting about. I'm gonna wait till we see the trailer to start making assumptions.

TheShowstoppa
07-10-2006, 01:05 PM
As a Leo fan, it doesn't bother me. As a turtles fan in general... Eh. Basically, I just want the movie to come out already. I, like many others, have been wasting away on the internet looking for online spoilers and anything else to keep my mind wandering. Hell, this movie is more tight-lipped than Spider-Man 3 and Transformers both are at this point, and TMNT comes out 2 months before Spidey and 4 months before TF. Personally, I think that's kinda sad. We haven't seen any screen shots, we haven't heard any "Official news" from the guys at the official site, and everyone's getting up in arms about the sypnosis that was heard from an internet site. Whoa... Hold down the forts - Leo and Splinter are at the helm.

Personally, It would be kinda nice to see where the boys go from being city heroes to nothings. We all know Donny will wander in the direction of Science, taking his experiments so much farther. Raph - I have no clue. Mikey - Lazy. I personally see him as being the hardest to cope with if this movie is going in this direction.

I just hope that it's not too cartoonish. After seeing how things are going with Fast Forward, I'm kinda worried about it. However, it's only 19 days away until we get to see the first of 3 new episodes. Unfortunately, I have to work, and that sucks. I'll have it TiVo'd though.

8 Months away guys... In my opinion - '07 is going to be the year the box office takes back its viewers. Just look at all the movies we have to look forward to!

iris
07-10-2006, 05:01 PM
So, this thread got me thinking... based on the information available, how likely is it that TMNT will get a nice amount of promotional momentum?

Imagi Services is releasing the film via the Weinstein Co. Weinstein is apparently really into CGI films, which is not a bad thing for TMNT, since the Weinsteins have some biz cred. Weinstein is in turn distributing through Warner Bros. From what info I can find, Weinstein is collaborating with Warner only on TMNT 2007 distribution. Weinstein has a deeper collaboration with its estranged relative, MGM.

I looked at the-numbers.com for 2005 (http://www.the-numbers.com/market/Distributors2005.php) and 2006 (http://www.the-numbers.com/market/Distributors2006.php) distribution info on these companies. Warner bit off the largest market share in 2005 (16.18% or $1,430,194,268 Gross with 28 movies), followed closely by 20th Century Fox (15.30% with 21 movies). Weinstein, which had just started distribution in November 2005, came out in 18th place, with a respectable but comparatively tiny 0.14% or $36,468,162 Gross, counted from 5 films they released. So far this year, Warner is in 5th place at 8.23% and Weinstein is at 9th place with 3.27%.

I don't know exactly what those numbers mean for TMNT, but they don't look too shabby to me.

According to this page (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/Weinstein.php), it looks like TMNT is the biggest film on the Weinstein plate for early 2007:

12/25/2006 - Arthur and the Minimoys
12/29/2006 - Miss Potter
12/31/2006 - The Gathering
12/31/2006 - Unknown
12/31/2006 - Awake
12/31/2006 - Fast Track
12/31/2006 - Tom yum goong
1/26/2007 - The Last Legion
3/30/2007 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
4/6/2007 - Grind House

TMNT is the most recognizable thing on that list. That could be why they're taking the extra step of distributing with Warner. Arthur and the Invisibles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_and_the_Invisibles) (aka, Arthur and the Minimoys; mix of CGI and live-action) is the Christmas flick, which I assume is a Big Deal, and they're distributing that with MGM. (I've heard of The Last Legion because a few of my girlfriends are insane for Colin Firth (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000147/). Apparently he is the sexiest thing since sexy was invented. ;))

And what's on Warner Bros.' plate for early 2007? According to this site (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/WarnerBros.php): nada. I see nothing between New Year's and June 2007 (so far).

So... outlook for Warner pushing TMNT: Favorable?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aztec General
07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Iris,

Grind House is far more anticipated. It's a 2 in 1 horror flick with Quentin Tarantino directing one of them.

iris
07-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, you're right. I left it out because I didn't want to confuse the issue (Grind House and TMNT are not competing for marketing resources), but then I completely forgot about it while my head was spinning with those numbers! So it was wrong to say that TMNT is the biggest thing Weinstein has going in early 2007.

At the same time, what's behind Weinstein distributing Grind House itself and TMNT being outsourced to Warner? Could be that Tarantino/horror is more viral in the way people hear about new flicks, and TMNT is expected to need a larger, mass media push because it's targeted at the action-fantasy mainstream. People are/will be talking about Grind House without a huge, expensive mainstream push.

Heh... I'm not into Tarantino, but Robert Rodriguez and zombies? I'm so there. Er... when it comes out on TV. ;)

Anyway, I don't think that changes the forecast... does it?

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
07-11-2006, 08:43 PM
"We are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We strike hard and fade away... into the night"

Sorry for going off topic, but I just got to thinking, it would be so kickass if they had Leo say that at the end of the movie. And then all four just vanish into the shadows.

That would own.

Spitfire
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Iris,

Grind House is far more anticipated. It's a 2 in 1 horror flick with Quentin Tarantino directing one of them.
I've never heard of it, and wasn't it QT who said Hostel was good? I hated that movie. Not saying TMNT will out do it, or any of those movies, but I think she could be right.

iris
07-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I've never heard of it, and wasn't it QT who said Hostel was good? I hated that movie. Not saying TMNT will out do it, or any of those movies, but I think she could be right.
Fact is, Grind House has been getting lots more press thanks to Tarantino's presence. When the Shiny Golden Boy speaks, the world listens. And they buy tickets by his endorsement, as you point out. But yeah I wouldn't have known about Grind House if I didn't keep an eye out for horror flicks, so... ?

Raph's Girl
07-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Here's my take on it.

it'll never happen i know, but it'd be cool if there could be 4 movies, one with each character at the center.

Technically the movies we have are like that.. first one is Raph, Secret of the Ooze is Don, and Back In Time is Mikey.

Sliced
07-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Technically the movies we have are like that.. first one is Raph, Secret of the Ooze is Don, and Back In Time is Mikey.

Exactly what I explained previously.

Its somewhat normal that one of the guy has a bigger role than the others. It would be very hard to set the focus on the four guys, without giving one of them a bigger role...

Buslady
07-13-2006, 12:10 PM
I just hope they don't screw it all up to where us fans will be shrinking in our seats

I'm gona give it a fair chance - leo centric or not

gonna miss the dang preview at the comicon>:( pooey

Raph's Girl
07-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Anybody see the plot summary for the new movie that's on the imdb.com site??

"An illegal chemical is developed that ionizes living tissue so that it grows rapidly. In a desperate attempt to dispose of the chemical, several sewage organisms are affected by its disposal. In the aftermath of the incident, new amphibian and reptilian creatures begin to emerge. In particular, a group of Turtles, which adapts to the never ending underground sewage system of New York and begin to train in the fiercest martial arts."

Ya know...with the "new amphibian and reptilian creatures begin to emerge" Im almost thinking... Leatherhead?

iris
07-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Aw. NOT a helpful plot summary... more like background information. That's like when they summarize an episode of the Simpsons by saying "Homer and Marge raise Bart, Lisa, and baby Maggie.

Ya know...with the "new amphibian and reptilian creatures begin to emerge" Im almost thinking... Leatherhead?

That would be nice. :D

R-iZZy
07-16-2006, 08:20 PM
I actually wouldn't mind Leo and Splinter having to save Don, Raph, Mikey. Think about it, if they're all split, I'm pretty sure they'll delve more into character development. Look at Batman Begins, that movie was more about knowing the character rather than getting into the action, and that movie came out to be one of the best in '05.

We get to see what goes on in the Turtles' heads, if the director is able to guide the idea correctly. Sure, as TMNT fans, we already know how each character is, individually, but others who haven't really followed the team (if any exist, that is) can get to know each character. And while we're at character development, of course there will be ninjutsu pwnage... it's the Ninja Turtles. What would a TMNT movie be without ninjutsu pwnage?

I'm still a little sketchy on there being no Shredder, and I'm wondering if they're planning on starting the theatrical franchise over (like Batman) and starting from scratch... but regardless, I'll be there to enjoy it (hopefully, if it's good enough to enjoy).

gobo
07-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Anybody see the plot summary for the new movie that's on the imdb.com site??

"An illegal chemical is developed that ionizes living tissue so that it grows rapidly. In a desperate attempt to dispose of the chemical, several sewage organisms are affected by its disposal. In the aftermath of the incident, new amphibian and reptilian creatures begin to emerge. In particular, a group of Turtles, which adapts to the never ending underground sewage system of New York and begin to train in the fiercest martial arts."

:blanksta:... :-? ... What amphibians?? Not to mention: where the heck did that info come from? Weinstein's PR dept?

Jo Dawn
07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Does this mean...

More mutants than the TMNT?

Ugh.

Just ugh.

gobo
07-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Just ugh.
Ditto. Assuming this info correct, we can rule it out as being a sequel.

Aztec General
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I've posted it before and I'll post it again:

NEVER TRUST IMDB! They are almost never correct.

wwfwwe
07-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I think it should be renamed..

'Leonardo and the Ninja Turtles'.

iris
07-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I've posted it before and I'll post it again:

NEVER TRUST IMDB! They are almost never correct.

I agree with that, especially for "spoiler" type things. Many times, information you see does not come from official sources. Celebrities etc can pay IMDB and take control of their entries, but otherwise it's pretty much in the hands of the people who maintain IMDB's database.

The summary Raph's Girl posted is written by Graham Kroon (http://www.imdb.com/SearchPlotWriters?Graham+Kroon). I'm not sure who that is, but he may not have gotten his info from any credible source. It looks to me like he just added a general description of the ninja turtles premise.

Raph's Girl
07-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I think it should be renamed..

'Leonardo and the Ninja Turtles'.

Why not... We're getting a new X-Men toon called "Wolverine and the X-Men" :lol:

gobo
07-20-2006, 11:00 PM
"After the defeat of their old arch nemesis, The Shredder, the Turtles have grown apart as a family. Struggling to keep them together, their rat sensei, Master Splinter, becomes worried when strange things begin to brew in New York City. Tech-industrialist Max Winters is amassing an army of ancient monsters to apparently take over the world." (TMNT.COM)

Sounds a good bit better, doesn't it?

Raph's Girl
07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
"After the defeat of their old arch nemesis, The Shredder, the Turtles have grown apart as a family. Struggling to keep them together, their rat sensei, Master Splinter, becomes worried when strange things begin to brew in New York City. Tech-industrialist Max Winters is amassing an army of ancient monsters to apparently take over the world."

Which would explain the bat creatures I guess.

Oh check out the posters!
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/CCleonardo.jpg
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/CCmichaelangelo.jpg
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/CCdonatello.jpg
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/CCraphael.jpg

iris
07-20-2006, 11:45 PM
"After the defeat of their old arch nemesis, The Shredder, the Turtles have grown apart as a family. Struggling to keep them together, their rat sensei, Master Splinter, becomes worried when strange things begin to brew in New York City. Tech-industrialist Max Winters is amassing an army of ancient monsters to apparently take over the world." (TMNT.COM)
So, johnnyblaze was pretty much right (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=419383&postcount=32).

...and Ancient monsters? Nifty. :D

Jo Dawn
07-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Sounds a good bit better, doesn't it?

Depends.

I mean, the thought of them all struggling to stay together as a family is interesting.

BUT -

Is this gonna be 'We fall apart without Leo, and only HE can make everything right'?

Because, as much as I love Leo, I can't stand that kinda stuff. That they lose their minds without him. Now, I get that without Leo, they aren't a true family, because he's their brother... And of course his return makes then whole again...

But y'all know what I mean. The 'holier than thou' approach.

Other than that (and the MORE monsters part, though that still might be cool) I'm liking this more and more. Not exactly what I woulda done, but.... I don't get PAIN to do it, hehe.

That'll do, Pete. That'll do...

;) :)

IMJ
08-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry if this is a repeat from one of these zillions of threads, but is this new movie ALL CG or are only the turtles CG as they interact with real actors?

gobo
08-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry if this is a repeat from one of these zillions of threads, but is this new movie ALL CG or are only the turtles CG as they interact with real actors?
100% CG...

Lanagirl
08-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone!
Wow, it's been a while since I have visited your site. I have learnt many interesting and great news. I had no idea about the new TMNT movie
I have a question. Does anybody know if Shredder is involved in the plot?
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked
Thank you:roll:

gobo
08-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Does anybody know if Shredder is involved in the plot?
While not involved, he may very well be shown as a cameo.

IMJ
08-27-2006, 05:37 PM
100% CG...

I'm not knockin' until I see it, but boo on that....

I'd rather have a TMNT with CG turtles and real people. Ah well.. I'm sure it'll still be fun.

Masked Ninja
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
I thought that initially, but the good thing about 100% CG is the ability to create a consistent style for the movie. You can make awesome buildings and sets that don't really exist (without miniatures!), you have more control over lighting and stuff, you don't get the problem of making human actors react to something that isn't really there, and you can stylize the humans so they match the look of the film. Stylized humans will probably also make it look more like a comic book world, I think.

Was the first live-action movie good? Yes. Those turtle suits were fantastic and were perfect for what they needed. But I really do think that this can be good, too. Just different.

triplexxx
08-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Since this regards my thoughts on the new movie I believe this was the right thread to put this in.
I've been a TMNT fan all my life and these are my thoughts on the TMNT universe:
1. First and foremost, the TMNT will always be equals regardless of their differences. I do not have a favorite turtle and I never will.
2. The TMNT are all equally dependent upon each other, no TMNT will ever be depended on any more than the others.
3. The turtles' similarities will always overpower and outnumber their differences.
4. Protecting the family is a responsibility that all TMNT share equally, and it does NOT belong primarily to any one turtle.
5. The turtles' unity depends on the efforts of all four of them, because unity is a team effort and is NOT accomplished through the efforts of one.
6. There is no such thing as a "top turtle", and all 4 TMNT are equally honorable warriors.
7. Each section of the TMNT universe I've gotten into [old cartoon, the 3 live-action movies, and new cartoon] has succeeded in giving all 4 TMNT equal credit/screentime; though some might argue that the movies and new cartoon may have bent this principle at times, but I believe the 3 movies, as a whole, and the new cartoon, in the long run, have both succeeded in accomplishing this, and I hope the new movie does the same.
8. All 4 TMNT have saved each of the others' lives as well as their own on +1 occasions. {I found only three occasions in the new cartoon when three TMNT were in a predicament where they could do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to defend themselves and one turtle had to bail them out}
~1.[Notes from the Underground Part 3] Three TMNT were trapped by the wall/floor, and Michaelangelo had to kick away the spears and 'put the guy on ice"
~2.[Turtles in space Part 4: The Arena] The large purple monster had a firm hold of three TMNT and Michaelangelo kicked and distracted it, causing it to let go.
~3.[Secret Origins Part 2] In the utrom history, in feudal Japan, the Shredder was beating the turtles and Splinter with the Sword of tengu, and Leonardo altered reality by imagining the sword was in his hands and then knocked Shredder over the cliff with it.
{No offense to any fans of Raphael and Donatello, they too have saved lives several times}
*After that, this specific circumstance never again happened; of course, in "Bad Day" Leonardo did drive a van he hijacked into the helicopter that snagged the van his family was in, but I can't count that one since that episode turned out to be an illusion.
9. I honestly doubt before Splinter passes away that he will appoint any of his sons as head of the family, this has been implied in several places:
~[Tigerfog's MNT Gaiden] All splinter told them to do was go on with their lives and find their own happiness.
~[SAINW] Now I never fully watched this episode, since it's the only one I consider a disgrace (I can't stand seeing the turtles get killed, too much angst), but i did read about it, and the what the TMNT did was go their separate ways.
~[Ziptango's TMNT fan attik: Episode 1] This bit of dialogue (Raphael:"Shut the he** up Leo, I don't remember any of us voting you in charge around here, so why don't you just get off my back!")
10. I equally appreciate all 4 turtle's personalities. The main reason for this is because I myself am a little like each one of them.
11. I have nothing against any TMNT. The only good guy I have ever really had anything against is Splinter, probably beacuse I don't like his "sadistic" sense of humor. Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm in the show and insert my own little bits of dialogue to bash Splinter. Just for humor:
~[Secret Origins Part 1: when Michaelangelo is trying to grab the riceballs in the utrom history] Splinter: "There is probably a lesson to learn here, but I'm enjoying this too much to think of what it is.//Me: (scoffs)"Yeah, somehow Splinter that doesn't surprise me about you."
~[First FF episode: when Raphael and Michaelangelo are fighting over the remote] Splinter: "Where did I go wrong?"//Me: (scoffs)"A lot of places, you were just always too stubborn to admit it."
12. At this point in their lives, if any of the TMNT were to take a student or two under their wing, they would all be capable of teaching them the ropes of ninjitsu.
13. The quality of the animation in either cartoon, the rubber latex suits of the movies, or the fact that the new movie will be CGI: none of these things have ever bothered me, I always appreciated them all, all I desire is that the storyline gives all turtles equal credit.

I suppose the whole point of this thread is to defend the turtles' equality. Those of you who agree with my criteria, I appreciate it. Those who don't, it's okay, I'm very understanding, and know everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. However, the TMNT fans I have most respect for are the ones that appreciate all 4 TMNT equally.

Ecto Jedi
09-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I thought that initially, but the good thing about 100% CG is the ability to create a consistent style for the movie. You can make awesome buildings and sets that don't really exist (without miniatures!), you have more control over lighting and stuff, you don't get the problem of making human actors react to something that isn't really there, and you can stylize the humans so they match the look of the film. Stylized humans will probably also make it look more like a comic book world, I think.

I agree. The current Turtles models may seem a little odd to our virgin eyes, but once they're inserted into the movie's stylized world, I'll bet the whole package will be one sweet feast for the eyes. I only hope the humans aren't too cartoony...I'd really hate to have them presented like they were in -- oh, I dunno -- Monster House, or something similar.

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
09-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Since this regards my thoughts on the new movie I believe this was the right thread to put this in.
I've been a TMNT fan all my life and these are my thoughts on the TMNT universe:
1. First and foremost, the TMNT will always be equals regardless of their differences. I do not have a favorite turtle and I never will.
2. The TMNT are all equally dependent upon each other, no TMNT will ever be depended on any more than the others.
3. The turtles' similarities will always overpower and outnumber their differences.
4. Protecting the family is a responsibility that all TMNT share equally, and it does NOT belong primarily to any one turtle.
5. The turtles' unity depends on the efforts of all four of them, because unity is a team effort and is NOT accomplished through the efforts of one.
6. There is no such thing as a "top turtle", and all 4 TMNT are equally honorable warriors.
7. Each section of the TMNT universe I've gotten into [old cartoon, the 3 live-action movies, and new cartoon] has succeeded in giving all 4 TMNT equal credit/screentime; though some might argue that the movies and new cartoon may have bent this principle at times, but I believe the 3 movies, as a whole, and the new cartoon, in the long run, have both succeeded in accomplishing this, and I hope the new movie does the same.
8. All 4 TMNT have saved each of the others' lives as well as their own on +1 occasions. {I found only three occasions in the new cartoon when three TMNT were in a predicament where they could do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to defend themselves and one turtle had to bail them out}
~1.[Notes from the Underground Part 3] Three TMNT were trapped by the wall/floor, and Michaelangelo had to kick away the spears and 'put the guy on ice"
~2.[Turtles in space Part 4: The Arena] The large purple monster had a firm hold of three TMNT and Michaelangelo kicked and distracted it, causing it to let go.
~3.[Secret Origins Part 2] In the utrom history, in feudal Japan, the Shredder was beating the turtles and Splinter with the Sword of tengu, and Leonardo altered reality by imagining the sword was in his hands and then knocked Shredder over the cliff with it.
{No offense to any fans of Raphael and Donatello, they too have saved lives several times}
*After that, this specific circumstance never again happened; of course, in "Bad Day" Leonardo did drive a van he hijacked into the helicopter that snagged the van his family was in, but I can't count that one since that episode turned out to be an illusion.
9. I honestly doubt before Splinter passes away that he will appoint any of his sons as head of the family, this has been implied in several places:
~[Tigerfog's MNT Gaiden] All splinter told them to do was go on with their lives and find their own happiness.
~[SAINW] Now I never fully watched this episode, since it's the only one I consider a disgrace (I can't stand seeing the turtles get killed, too much angst), but i did read about it, and the what the TMNT did was go their separate ways.
~[Ziptango's TMNT fan attik: Episode 1] This bit of dialogue (Raphael:"Shut the he** up Leo, I don't remember any of us voting you in charge around here, so why don't you just get off my back!")
10. I equally appreciate all 4 turtle's personalities. The main reason for this is because I myself am a little like each one of them.
11. I have nothing against any TMNT. The only good guy I have ever really had anything against is Splinter, probably beacuse I don't like his "sadistic" sense of humor. Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm in the show and insert my own little bits of dialogue to bash Splinter. Just for humor:
~[Secret Origins Part 1: when Michaelangelo is trying to grab the riceballs in the utrom history] Splinter: "There is probably a lesson to learn here, but I'm enjoying this too much to think of what it is.//Me: (scoffs)"Yeah, somehow Splinter that doesn't surprise me about you."
~[First FF episode: when Raphael and Michaelangelo are fighting over the remote] Splinter: "Where did I go wrong?"//Me: (scoffs)"A lot of places, you were just always too stubborn to admit it."
12. At this point in their lives, if any of the TMNT were to take a student or two under their wing, they would all be capable of teaching them the ropes of ninjitsu.
13. The quality of the animation in either cartoon, the rubber latex suits of the movies, or the fact that the new movie will be CGI: none of these things have ever bothered me, I always appreciated them all, all I desire is that the storyline gives all turtles equal credit.

I suppose the whole point of this thread is to defend the turtles' equality. Those of you who agree with my criteria, I appreciate it. Those who don't, it's okay, I'm very understanding, and know everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. However, the TMNT fans I have most respect for are the ones that appreciate all 4 TMNT equally.

I admire and respect your list. But I have to note a few things...

In terms of importance, yes all the turtles are equal, however in skill, that's a diffrent story. I think everyone here has made peace with the fact that Leo is the most skilled and Don is the least skilled(though he more than makes up for that with his knowledge of tech and mechanics).

Also, fan fics really shouldn't count.

And the fact the fact that Splinter has made a few jokes at his sons expence doesn't mean he doesn't care for them deeply. Besides, at least it shows he has a sense of humor.

And in the new TMNT, Raph has gotten a little stiffed when it comes to individual episodes.

triplexxx
09-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I admire and respect your list. But I have to note a few things...

In terms of importance, yes all the turtles are equal, however in skill, that's a diffrent story. I think everyone here has made peace with the fact that Leo is the most skilled and Don is the least skilled(though he more than makes up for that with his knowledge of tech and mechanics).

Also, fan fics really shouldn't count.

And the fact the fact that Splinter has made a few jokes at his sons expence doesn't mean he doesn't care for them deeply. Besides, at least it shows he has a sense of humor.

Even though I never meant to compare the TMNT on the basis of their skill levels, I agree they do differ, but very little; so if I was to place them all on the scale of 1-10, the largest range of separation I would give them would be no larger than 1 [e.g. least-skilled=7 & most-skilled=8 //or// least-skilled=8 & most-skilled=9]. Sorry if I sound nitpicky, but when I share my opinion about anything, which is very rarely, I like to be specific.

Also, the reason I had to use fanfics to support point 9 on my list was because, with the exception of SAINW, they have never depicted how the turtles would function as a family in Splinter's permanent absence on TV, and the odds are they never will.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt Splinter loves his sons very much; I just don't appreciate it when people laugh at others' misfortunes, and, personally, and I'm only speaking for myself when I say this, but I think Splinter would be better off if he had no sense of humor, period. I just don't think it's a befitting characteristic for him; and if you believe that would make him too dull, I understand; but he isn't the main focus of the show despite the fact that he is indeed the turtles' "official leader".

Sage Ninja
09-06-2006, 11:13 AM

ICAM!!!

nice post. You hit the nail on the head :D

Spawn Guy
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I agree that the TMNT are equal, and while I'd have to say Leo is my favourite, I'd say he's the leader mostly due to the fact he acts like the big brother. As for Splinter, everyone can have an opinion, but everyone also has at least one problem with a parental figure at some point in their lives.

Just hope that's reflected in the film. Although the point is apparently that they drifted apart...

Demero
11-13-2006, 04:49 AM

Not bad, sounds like a decent story there.

As for triplexxx's post about the Turtles being equal: they possess the same skills and code of honor, but we should not forget that their individuality is part of what has made them so appealing through the years. In short, there is nothing wrong with having a favorite. Splinter has never tried to make them all carbon copies of each other. I appreciate your point of view but find it to be unnecessairily limiting, and missing the point of what their master has been teaching them.