PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play online RPGS?

beaker
01-15-2003, 02:22 AM
For awhile I didnt think much of the whole pay to play online RPG phenomenon. Everquest and Ultima didnt appeal to me, Anarchy Online, while having that cool futuristic looked seemed to involved. Phantasy Star looked fun but didnt last long.

But finally, finally there is an online RPG for fans of Super Heroes and arcade style beat em ups:
http://cityofheroes.com/

Whether youre a fan of the old beat em up days, 3d enviroments, comic books, or anime...this one looks to be the most accessable to folks. Ive realized Everquest and Anarchy Onlun eprobably offput a lot of potential players with it being so serious. Its like a lot of people's life sadly.

But finally here an uplifting cool looking Suer Hero themed arcade brawler styled one. And its something fresh to get in on...its not some 3 year old game where if youre new its difficult to get in on...here everyone would be starting off fresh. So indeed, I cant wait til the demo comes out to give it a little test drive.

Anyways, just curious what pay RPG or other online gaming you guys play. The only one for me is Soldier of Fortune 2 online and a little Quake 3 now and then. Its free, sweet graphics, and visceral! heh. So yeah, if I wanna pay $12-$15 a month PLUS the initial $50 for the game it better darn well be worth my time.

*btw, I wonder if you'll be able to custom a TMNT type character?

Nickokapo
01-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Meh...i don't like RPG games but this one seems cool so i might give it a try...unless of course it's a turn-based fighting thing, that's such a turn off for me :dead:
As for the online games i play, i don't really play much games...well i played jazz jackrabbit 2 a bit, also furcadia and serious sam, but serious sam started having so many updates i got sick of it and stopped playing :P

Karpo_007
01-15-2003, 11:19 AM
I think that th Star Wars: Galaxies could be interesting....

Eye of Sarnath
01-15-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so of course I'll play Galaxies. Though I'm looking forward to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic more than Galaxies. I also play Neverwinter Nights online, and Jedi Knight 2, but that's pretty much it. On rare occasions I'll play Jedi Knight (the first one) and Doom online.

beaker
01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh gosh, there is nothing more frustrating in my mind, then turn based RPGS... no no no, City of Heroes is a straight up 3D beat em up it looks like! Really, this will be pulling in a lot of folks who hate the drama of Everquest and those others.

Btw, is Star Wars Galaxies the next big Everquest/AnarchyOnline?
Also what are the top 5(as of right now) biggest pay RPGS out there?

City of Heroes just looks the most fun and colorful without all the seriousness of the other crap. Im sure elitism and drama will unfold, but nowhere near those other unfriendly games.

azure turtle
01-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Hmm... I used to play Baldur's Gate, but the rules for that thing were too confusing. Bleah.

Nickokapo
01-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Heh...elitism in online games is like everywhere...that's pretty darn annoying.
But i'm glad it wont be turn based :evilgrin: i'm a big fan of beat em up games too.
Well then it's official, when it's out i'll give it a try :P

Eye of Sarnath
01-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Well, Star Wars Galaxies is being developed by Sony Verant who also developed Everquest, so yes, I guess you could say it's the next big thing.

And I don't really think turn based is frustrating, you wouldn't know Neverwinter Nights is turn-based just by looking at it. The turns are actually just a second or two long, so combat actually moves very fast.

Hmm... how about Ninja Turtles Online? I'd play it...

xZAOx
01-16-2003, 02:56 PM
i played EQ, ultima online, and DAoC. i also beta tested a few others. so far tho, they always end up being the same thing - sit in one area, and try to lvl up.

i looked at that site, and i have to say i cant wait to try it out. im hoping its more "button oriented", as in i could hook up my gamepad to play it and have fun. not just 'hit A to turn on auto-attack' or whatever, and it uses your stats to see how much damage it does (kinda like kingdom hearts). if thats so, man, it should be some real fun!

and where's the villians? that kinda sucks. it'd be great to have to go thwart the person-controlled bank robber or the evil Mega-Dude from BBQ-ing the local orphanage =D

beaker
01-16-2003, 06:54 PM
i played EQ, ultima online, and DAoC. i also beta tested a few others. so far tho, they always end up being the same thing - sit in one area, and try to lvl up.

i looked at that site, and i have to say i cant wait to try it out. im hoping its more "button oriented", as in i could hook up my gamepad to play it and have fun. not just 'hit A to turn on auto-attack' or whatever, and it uses your stats to see how much damage it does (kinda like kingdom hearts). if thats so, man, it should be some real fun!

and where's the villians? that kinda sucks. it'd be great to have to go thwart the person-controlled bank robber or the evil Mega-Dude from BBQ-ing the local orphanage =D

Oh totally, EQ, Ultima, Asheron's Call...no thanks. Ive seen these games in action from people who devoted a huge chunk of their time to them, and its pretty pathetic. I mean itd be cool if the graphics kicked butt, but they look like something Sierra Games would have put out in 1992. Youre right, just sit in a generic grassland wailing on an ogre with other people whove got no lives; repeat, chat about the game, repeat. *yawn*

Im hoping you can hook up a controller or joystick to City of Heroes. From what Ive read, seen, and heard...this is what gamers like me have been dreaming about...a massive online beat em up, with strong incentive to get famous and form teams. I mean it is astonishing. Im hoping everyone lays down their swords and mage sticks and heads over to where the real fun is this summer. I mean isnt the point of playing a video game to have fun? No to sit their having drama with mageraven7718 over who stole the kill points. City of Heroes: My goodness, finally a game for us!