PDA

View Full Version : I stopped watching turtles after the fast forward series started.

LogicDonny
12-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Terrible and disapointing. How could they change something so good to something bad? I'm sorry my turtle fans. i enjoyed the series all the way to this new one which has been on fro a while.

I will be seeing hte new movie of course..

jeff the cheff
12-17-2006, 11:40 AM
I did the same exact thing.

I mean I saw the first few episodes, and I didn't think they were any good; but it's not like I said "I refuse to watch this." I just stopped having the desire to watch it, to wake up for it, to stop doing something else so I could watch it. So...I haven't seen any episodes past the first 3.

Raph'N'Roll
12-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I watched one of the episodes on youtube, they were meeting Coady for the first time, didn't like it that much.
The first four seasons have been the best version of the Turtles after the Mirage comic in my opinion, it's a shame they changed the format.

Buslady
12-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I'll watch it to see what others are going on about when they talk about it. It's no major loss to me if i miss an ep. I heard yesterday's was a 'ho hum' ep...i havent watched it yet. How dissapointing that we have nothing to look forward to on Saturday mornings anymore (sundays in some places!)....
When the REAL show was on, I was anxiousl to get to Saturdays...I'd tivo the eps and watch over & over they were so good. :( no more fun...

Masked Ninja
12-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Same thing happened to me - saw the first 3 episodes, was severely underwhelmed, and lost any desire to get up early on a Saturday morning to watch a hacked-apart version of a show I once loved.

During season 4 last year, I had a friend that would walk ACROSS CAMPUS from her dorm building to mine (this is... probably at least a 10-15 min walk) at 9:30am on a Saturday to watch TMNT with me. It was that good. She never even saw the preview eps for Fast Forward, and neither of us have been bothering to wake up for the show since.

At least I have my DVDs. I may have to overcome my fear of internet shopping to get my hands on other favorite epsiodes and arcs... I miss 2k3 that badly.

People are saying "well, if we don't support TMNT then the show will die altogether!!1!" I'm saying that if THIS is the Turtles we're keeping by "saving" the show... just let it die and leave good memories instead of... *struggles to find adequate words* ...this.

I just read the discussion threads on the new FF eps now, just to see what happened. It seems I haven't been missing much.

March... please, come quickly...

comet_an_me
12-17-2006, 03:36 PM
We havent got FF yet, and we've still got reruns of season 4, ive whatched a couple of the eps but im not desprate to whatch them. I dont mind whatching the reruns cause you always pick up things that you missed b4. lol

LogicDonny
12-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Saturday morning was a great time for me in the 80 and 90's.. It still is but not as much.. I missed the old days of the turtles..

Jo Dawn
12-17-2006, 06:47 PM
People are saying "well, if we don't support TMNT then the show will die altogether!!1!" I'm saying that if THIS is the Turtles we're keeping by "saving" the show... just let it die and leave good memories instead of... *struggles to find adequate words* ...this.

That is exactly right. Do we really want to save... this?

I'll admit, I watch, but only so I can have an opinion on it, without someone complaining that I didn't give it a chance. And it's no biggie if I miss. I just get sad when I watch it.

Doppleganger
12-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I keep sleeping in and missing the episodes. Oh well...it's really no big loss to me.

Krutch
12-17-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll be one of the few to say im actually enjoying this series. Obviously, I prefer the original format of the show much better, but, this series really isnt that bad. The animation grew on me quicker than expected. Half the jokes arent bad. And theres just something refreshing seeing the turtles like this. Maybe it's cuz im getting bored of all these angst hero shows.

I wish their weapons never changed though.

TuRtLeTiTaN
12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
ok my thoughts on this show is a little diffrent then yalls.I acctaly like this show.Now i of course its not the ninja turtles we were wathcing during the 2003 season but lets addmit that show was too good to be put where it was.It was too mature to be a saturday morning cartoon.Now fast foward is where it should be its a show for kids and its still an enjoyable show if you dont compare it to the other seasons.thats just my thoughts though

Nostalgia82
12-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I still watch it cause I have reg TV, no cable but thats about it. Not collecting the toys no more :(

ZariusTwo
12-18-2006, 09:42 PM

True, I'm grateful we got four to five seasons in spite of all of the alleged "problems" with ratings and sales, where as others would rather see a rotting corpse on the screen just because it has the name TMNT on it. Like how people support The Simpsons even when Matt Groening is essentially commiting weekly necrophelia.

It was too mature to be a saturday morning cartoon.Now fast foward is where it should be its a show for kids and its still an enjoyable show if you dont compare it to the other seasons.thats just my thoughts though

And given that a lot of previously mature shows have contradicted those points (like JLU, X-Men: Evolution, and Batman: TAS), I doubt I want to hear anymore.

FF is uneccersary, and we all know it.

And I don't have to compare it to other seasons, it's s*it when I compare it to Loonatics

Spitfire
12-18-2006, 10:28 PM
After seeing past the first 3 terrible episodes I started to accept this more. The production values suck but the show isn't so bad I can't watch it.

Having the Cowboys Of Moo Mesa in it is so bad I can't watch it, having Leo fight Elfs is so bad I can't watch it. Letting Splinter allow his students to ruin someone's living room, having the turtles not act like themselves, all make the show un-watchable.

Their slowly going back to where it used to be, and while I want to kill someone everytime they yell, "It's NINJA TIME" there's some promise. I'll wait till I see the Dark TMNT. The zombie slave episode was decent*And I bet would have looked awesome if animated in the 2K3 style* So I'll give it more shots to impress me before I swear it off all together.

Remember people, the same guys are working on this show. And with how Laird acts and conducts business I hardly doubt we can lay all blame on 4Kids. I start to like that man less everytime I read or hear about him. Hearing he disliked the Archie comic series already bothers me, being as how most fans like that series a lot and some even more then Mirage*And many more then current Mirage*

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
12-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Remember people, the same guys are working on this show. And with how Laird acts and conducts business I hardly doubt we can lay all blame on 4Kids. I start to like that man less everytime I read or hear about him. Hearing he disliked the Archie comic series already bothers me, being as how most fans like that series a lot and some even more then Mirage*And many more then current Mirage*

You can't really crucify them man for not liking the Archie series, It wasn't his vision of the characters he co-created, and it's not like he openly cursed the Archie series.

Besides, look at Alan Moore, he disowned the Killing Joke, his own work and what DC comic fans consider to be the definative Joker story, and yet people still respect him.

Bry
12-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I've seen about two episodes, all said. I tried watching the first two, but couldn't fully get through either. I lost interest toward the end of the premiere, and stopped watching the second one shortly after the intro.

I did watch "The Journal" in full, but only to see Casey, April, and Karai again. I thought it would have been a pretty mediocre episode of the "real" series, though it seems to be considered the best episode of Fast Forward to date. Go figure.

I doubt I'll be watching any further episodes. I'm a huge fan of the Turtles... but this show isn't the Turtles. At least not to me. Honestly, you could replace the Turtles with any four other random characters and the show probably wouldn't be much different. The whole thing just feels like a short-sighted retooling for the sake of selling new toys, and that's just not what I'm interested in watching. I'm sure the show has its fans, and that's cool, but if this is the ultimate future of the show, then I'm happy pretending it ended six months ago.

(And hey, I've still got the movie to look forward to!)

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
12-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I stopped watching after Fast Foward. 1. Because I was pissed that they passed over the real season 5 for this and 2. becasue I was generally put off by the art style.

No matter how hard I tried, I could'nt not hate the series. It would have worked as just a toy line, or a mini comic, but as an animated series, god no. And it's especially worse when a show like this is following the first 4 seasons of the 2K3 series.

ZariusTwo
12-20-2006, 05:47 AM
If Laird hated the Archie series so much, why are there references to it in the new series, and why then, did he hire some of the best artists from the publication to work on Tales of the TMNT?

The guy has a personal attachment to any aspect of the franchise, which is understandable, but at times I think he's just afraid to admit some of those aspects were superior to his and Kevin's comic, or their success did'nt propel the orginal title and it remained engraved in the independents.

CJStyles
12-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I dont even bother to get up to try and watch the show because it killed me after the first few ep.. and what the hell is with "ITS NINJA TIME!" crap... Honestly can we just let it die like TMNT:NM or get the old series back

frank123
01-07-2007, 07:06 PM
I think that's a play on "it's morphin time". This show sold out by becoming FastFoward. Damn the parents TV council...or whatever it's called..FCC??

Bircher
01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
that so many of you that like the series pre FF but like the archie series.
To me they are the same quality.

Persoanally I like the Mirage better, which is why I like the series upto FF. Many of them have the feel that they used the original Mirage comic as a story board for the cartoon. Return of Romero comes to mind. I was reading the Tales of TMNT it was based on the other day, and it is panel for panel almost exactly the same.

I hope Ninja Tribuanl is brought back, and the new movie will be a success which will encourage somebosy like MTV to do with TMNT what they did with Spider-Man.

ZariusTwo
01-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I hope Ninja Tribuanl is brought back, and the new movie will be a success which will encourage somebosy like MTV to do with TMNT what they did with Spider-Man.

MTV botched Spider-Man by removing several characters that were important to the mythology and who Spider-Man is.

The only ones who could'nt possibly have noticed how important those characters were, were..well...typical MTV viewers.

that so many of you that like the series pre FF but like the archie series.
To me they are the same quality.

Meaning you've never read an ARCHIE title in your life.

Warhorse
01-08-2007, 04:48 AM
For the record, I don't care for the Fast Forward series either. It never should have happened. Is this the best the Turtles could do? Really. I personally don't think so!

I hope someone put's their foot down and has Mikey wake up , to realise that the whole FF thing was nothing more than a bad dream, then continue with the original story!

Ra
01-08-2007, 05:24 AM
When I first heard of Fast Forward, I was one of the people who kept on saying "It's going to be okay...they can't stuff up TMNT. They will be just throwing their hard work out of the window..." How I want to go back in time and just warn myself to not support hope for the show.

I saw the first episode and I felt sick to my gut. I felt dirty after watching it, and the feeling wouldn't just go away. I had to watch quite a few shows that I normally wouldn't watch the very next day on cable (and because of that I now watch Danny Phantom XD). I saw a later episode, Fly Me to the Moon, and I found it tolerable. I had that sick feeling again, only to become worse after seeing the bad guys were rips what appared to be the Egyptain God Ra. But it was far better than what I saw before. I mean, this time they were TRYING to get home.

There are a few things...okay, a LOT of things that make me sick while watching it -

1) The art style. That always makes me sick, and most likely the main cause of my sick feeling each time I watch the show. The art style looks too angular, and I hate the new design for Splinter. I rather liked the lighter color of his fur on his underbelly. It seemed more natural to me. And dare I mention the overly bright color scheme? Ugh...I want my dark and gritty look back any time now, thanks.

2) The personalities of...well, everyone. Cody seems to be an egar fan boy, the turtles themselves seem to have the attitudes of turtle tots, and Splinter apparently packs on a pound each episode from doing nothing but watching his soaps all day long :dead:

3) Character development. All four turtles had grown up quite a bit in the 4 seasons of monster fighting, alien invasions and Shredder kicking that they were put through. Raph grew up quite a bit, as did Mike. Leo's story arch was one of the best things that ever happened on the show, and Don's second mutation seemed to leave him a bit shacken. Come Fast Forward and...all of their character development went out of the window.

I think it would have done 4Kids a big favor if they took the TMNT when they were 8 or something and threw them into the future. It would have made a lot more sense then in terms of character. Raph is forever hot-head, Leo needs an operation with his funny bone (seriously, when he was talking to those elves, I could hear my dog moan from the cheesy-ness of the lines), Don is just forever speaking "geek" with Cody, while Mikey...

I'm not going to touch him with a 20 foot pole...

4) Bad reasons why they get new costumes and weapons. Yeah, it all seemed to tie itself into a nice neat loop, but...let's face it, it was just plain week. They didn't get their weapons back, but their bandannas, that probably wouldn't fair any better, get reunited with them again? What, no new-age material to add to what I think are very cheesy "gravitey plates" or whatever? I always expected something shiney with that...

5) The fact that they don't really want to get back home. This is the one that sort of triggers me to go into a rant, more so than character development. I know that they aren't worried since they know that they will go back soon, but if I were any of the five, I would be extreamly egar to get back home. After all, they have friends back home, and if they don't act as soon as possible, they may stay in the future for quite some time. And let's face it, I'd rather go and tell Bishop that I ****ed his mom last night with a lamp and a donkey than face foes such as Jammerhead and his "Body Snatcher" abilites, or the evil uncle from the fire depths of hell who wants to exploit his nephew to get more money than he already has. Or poor rips of Ra. Or more likely Horus. I'm definately not going to get over that for a while. But yes, they are more focused on Casey and April's grandson than Casey and April themselves. It sort of makes my heart ache inside, since I want to see more episodes of their relationship draw the two closer and closer together. It just makes me wish that the turtles will just finally wake up, get sick of the whole ordeal, and get Raph to beat Cody senseless until he agrees to actually get the goddamn time portal to work in the OTHER direction! What the hell does that kid think he is?! Also, the guy is creepy. Very creepy. Like an over-egar Robin out and about with Batman in their Live Action show...

Need I go on?

Bircher
01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
No need to be rude. I have read SM for many many years, and even though it had those short comings, I still thought it had good stories and wasn't too kiddish.

Additionally, I HAVE read the Archie TMNT, and it just didn't do it for me. (I could use stronger words but dont want to start a flame war)

I love how the series pre FF was so close to the Mirage comics, and glad they didn't reduce it to the a 3rd grade level like they did with the old cartoon, just because the marketing team said it would sell better... except for FF.

Spitfire
01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
No need to be rude. I have read SM for many many years, and even though it had those short comings, I still thought it had good stories and wasn't too kiddish.

Additionally, I HAVE read the Archie TMNT, and it just didn't do it for me. (I could use stronger words but dont want to start a flame war)

I love how the series pre FF was so close to the Mirage comics, and glad they didn't reduce it to the a 3rd grade level like they did with the old cartoon, just because the marketing team said it would sell better... except for FF.

If you compare Archie to the old toon, one could view Archie as what the old toon would have been had it been on the same level or maturity of the newer toon. Make any sense?

Bircher
01-08-2007, 04:19 PM
If you compare Archie to the old toon, one could view Archie as what the old toon would have been had it been on the same level or maturity of the newer toon. Make any sense?
Makes sense, just don't agree. Could be wrong though, it's been a good 16 years +/- since I have read the old Archie.

I was just going off what my feeling was at the time.

ZariusTwo
01-09-2007, 12:04 AM

MTV Spider-Man was gullible thrash, it had blood when it could'nt sustain drama, and it flopped whenever it tried comedy, it was'nt "true" Spider-Man in the slightest due to restrictions that should'nt have been placed on it.

Many people actually consider it to be the first instance of how overrated Bendis really was, because he was hoplessly s*it as a story editor.

No, because chances are you'd get owned.

Punching out Adolf Hitler is'nt "third-grade"

Bircher
01-09-2007, 12:51 AM

MTV Spider-Man was gullible thrash, it had blood when it could'nt sustain drama, and it flopped whenever it tried comedy, it was'nt "true" Spider-Man in the slightest due to restrictions that should'nt have been placed on it.

Many people actually consider it to be the first instance of how overrated Bendis really was, because he was hoplessly s*it as a story editor.

No, because chances are you'd get owned.

Punching out Adolf Hitler is'nt "third-grade"

Huh? I don't even know what that Hitler comment even means.

I just thought that someother venue besides Sat Morn Fox would allow the stories to be truer to the Mirage comics. I THOUGHT, SM on MTV was good, and gave that as an example of how cartoons out of kiddie time could work.

Didn't realize it was a capitol offense.

gobo
01-09-2007, 01:43 AM
Pounding on Hitler was something done in an issue of Archie's TMNT that I never got my hands on. In my opinion, The Future Shark Trilogy was the best story arc in Archie in terms of maturity (out of the several I actually did get my hands on). If you come across it, I highly recommend you read it. If you don't like it, send me the bill. :D

Roseangelo
01-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Doesn't sound like Bircher has read any of Archie when it really hit its stride.

The Future Shark Trilogy (42-44) really turned around the series for me. I had stopped reading for over a year, but when I found those issues I was in love. And pretty much everything from there on is brilliant, too.

And I LOVED the Hitler punch. Just brilliant.

Aignatius
01-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Future Shark was a freaky story. Some of the references would likely go over the heads of most kids with an average American education.

Bircher
01-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Sounds good. I'll have to give it a try. Any suggestions on good placeds to look for the episodes? Local shops have NO TMNT. Should I just check ebay?

Aignatius
01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
You could contact ninjaturtles.com, browse ebay, and the classifieds on the TMNT boards. :)

oldshreddersgirl
03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Saturday morning was a great time for me in the 80 and 90's.. It still is but not as much.. I missed the old days of the turtles..

Donny i love and worship thee the 80's and 90's does it for me totaly

Cascadia
03-11-2007, 11:43 PM
always check to see what fellow 'drome members are selling or trading. You never know what you will find.

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
03-12-2007, 01:28 AM

I'd consider the Archie toon more mature than the new one. Due to the fact it actually dealt with death and real world topics.

Zarius: Yeha that MTV Spider-Man hella-sucked. The CGI was god awful, and it ended on a really terrible cliffhanger. I mean come on, Peter gets brainwashed by these psychic freaks, ends up hurting someone who had no business being there, and his solution, rather than hunt the crooks down, is to quit being Spider-Man? WTF?