PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Comic Book Cartoons

sdp
02-04-2007, 01:35 PM
http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/758/758931p2.html

from IGN :ohwell: but at last the turtles made it, of course only the old show made it, while i don't agree with it 100% its not too bad, at least batman:tas is number 1.

ZariusTwo
02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I know IGN is going to flack as usual for their lists, it's not new, but at least they acknowledge the series is'nt based on the comic or dark, but that it still had the spirit of the franchise.

CyberCubed
02-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Nice to see the original TMNT there and B:TAS as #1.

Its just a shame the new TMNT cartoon never ever gets any respect. Its like nobody ever cared that it existed in the first place, even back when Season 1 first debuted.

Considering the new series is far more faithful to the comics than the original was, (and overall, better written for the most part), it would have been nice to at least get a mention to it even if they didn't list it.

I think the 2k3 series is one of the most overlooked comic based cartoons of all time. After the show is cancelled and done with and no longer airs on TV, it'll probably be all but forgotten outside of the hardcore TMNT fanbase.

sdp
02-04-2007, 02:31 PM
I think the 2k3 series is one of the most overlooked comic based cartoon of all time. After the show is cancelled and done with and no longer airs on TV, it'll probably be all but forgotten outside of the hardcore TMNT fanbase.

who knows, its very probably that it'll be remembered as a great show that didn't get the respect it deserved like many other cartoons/shows.

Though I do wonder how they marketed the new show, I didn't know about it until 2004. sure i was not their target age group and at the time i wasn't into animation as much but if you ask most people they don't even know there was a new show, heck most of the new Movie articles treat it as the turtles revival since the old show not acknowledging the 2k3 show. and of course the few older people that know the show exists will reply to you "oh the original is better" without even watching one episode :P

i guess we won't know the impact of the new show until the kids who watched it grow up and remember it like we remember the old show.

CyberCubed
02-04-2007, 02:35 PM
, heck most of the new Movie articles treat it as the turtles revival since the old show not acknowledging the 2k3 show.

Yeah, I know. The new movie is apparently the first "revival" of TMNT since the original cartoon ended, completely overlooking the new series.

Too bad we're currently in Fast Foward, but after this season ends and the movie does well, maybe the movie will get people to finally pay attention to the current series. That's assuming if we get a Season 7, which could go either way.

ZariusTwo
02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
i guess we won't know the impact of the new show until the kids who watched it grow up and remember it like we remember the old show.

But with the original series on DVD, and eager parents who once saw it probably watching it with their own children, they'll have more than one option.

I can understand why other people are treating the movie as the "true reboot", it has bankable names attached to it, it's had more promotion than the new series, and everyone knows the first two movies were darker and comic based anyway, sans Krang and the comedic baggage that old school fans miss.

Yes, it's a shame the new series will no doubt be overlooked, the same with "The Batman", a show that went from steaming pile of dogs*it to one of the best shows in a long time. The same can be said for others NOT based on comics, like Codename: Kids Next Door and Billy and Mandy. A lot of animation is suffering because too much crap like Spongebob, Danny Phantom, and the biggest offender, Jap crap anime importing is blinding people to the slow rise of quality in cartoons again.

Time Mistress
02-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Good list overall. Great to see classic TMNT make the list. I'm somewhat surprised both X-Men shows made it on there but pleased as punch that they did.

The new TMNT series deserved to be on there too though. I agree that it is soooooo underrated. If your looking for faithful adaptations of comics brought to life on the small screen the new TMNT delivers like few others. Some of those episodes are like literally watching the comic book issue come to life! I mean they beheaded Shredder on Saturday morning television! :o (Coming up with a great solution to get it past the censors.) But for anyone who read the comic that was a jaw dropping moment, and the new TMNT is just full of so many of them, or it was until FF came along! :x I love the old TMNT show, but the new show is my personal fave mainly for doing for TMNT what Batman TAS did for the Dark Knight. I just wish the new show could get the recognition it deserves.

Other superhero cartoons I would have liked to see on the list - Phantom 2040 and Darkwing Duck (the first comic issue came out before it aired in syndication so it counts).

Man, 1994-95 really was one of the best Saturday morning line-ups ever before stupid network TV replaced it all with the news a few years later. But 94-95 was the year of superhero cartoons, I remember being able to watch Batman TAS (now Batman & Robin), TMNT Classic, Spider-Man, X-Men, The Tick, Iron Man, Fantasic Four, and Phantom 2040 all in one Saturday. All in a row too just by flipping channels, no conflicts of shows airing opposite each other. Just pure superhero Saturday morning bliss the way it was meant to be! :D

Spitfire
02-04-2007, 04:02 PM
The Maxx isn't on there -_- The Tick Spawn, Batman TAS, TMNT, and Batman Beyond all deserve their spot. I don't see why X-men is so high on the list, that show was good but not that good.

mikey2007
02-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Though I do wonder how they marketed the new show, I didn't know about it until 2004. sure i was not their target age group and at the time i wasn't into animation as much but if you ask most people they don't even know there was a new show, heck most of the new Movie articles treat it as the turtles revival since the old show not acknowledging the 2k3 show. and of course the few older people that know the show exists will reply to you "oh the original is better" without even watching one episode :P

i think they had some promotional stuff on fox during the mornings, and some other stuff....i think i found out about the show when i was wondering around the site in 2003? it talked about there being a new show premiering....as soon as i heard that i wasn't sure what to think, but was happy they were gonna make a new show...i was scared cuz i had all these preconcieved notions from the original series, but the first morning it aired, i woke up, had on my tmnt shirt, and sat there and watched it like a little kid all over again, man i loved it! i watched it over again that morning, but after they really got into it, i now know it has surpassed my love of the old show, the stories have a better time line and just love it, FF is alright, but no where near as good as the old show, i can live with it, but its not gonna live up to the 2k3 series...lol sorry for the long story, but it got me thinking about the first time:D

Jester
02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
The turtles are still brothers and, at its core, the message is about protecting one's family.
In the Old Toon? They were brothers? The only part of the franchise where they were less a family than the OT was NM, and NM did that as a blatant attempt to push Venus as a love interest and not a sister. They seldom (if ever) used the word "brother" but "friend". Splinter only occasional called them "my sons" opting for "wards", "students" or "pupils". The New Series is far more about the turtles as a family.

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
02-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Well, I can say I'm mad, but not surprised, that Turtles 2K3 didn't make the list.

But the list was good anyway, though, JLU should have been number 1.

Mr._Mutant_Man
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Well I agree with that list for the most part. Batman deserves to be number one, that show has aged very well. I think the fact I can watch it today and not cringe once says a lot about the all ages quality of it. I'm also glad to see X-Men:Evolution on there. I make fun sometimes of the idea that they went to HS while living at a school, but overall it was still a good adaptation of the X-Men.

IGN also did a list of top X-Men last year, and I think their top 5 came close to matching my personal top five. I at least remember Shadowcat being #3, which I thought was cool.