PDA

View Full Version : Mikeys look

invictus1002
03-27-2007, 11:15 PM
did anyone think that mikey looked really goofy and a little weird in the movie? i guess i felt like his face was not drawn as well as the others...some of his facial expressions didnt sit well with me

Kunoichi_Haruko
03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
His smile during the Cowabunga Carl Retirement scene was oddly reminiscent of "Wallace & Gromit", or even "Chicken Run". Very wide. Wierd, but kinda cute, too. :)

PrivateRadio
03-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I think Mikey was portrayed so ridiculously innocently, that it actually worked for him as far as strengthening his character. His mannerisms, everything he says, reeks of this like young naivete in the movie. Even his voice work perfectly softened the whole surfer retard thing perfectly into an actual emotive voice. I think all of that intentionally came off in what they were going for in his look too. His eyes especially.

PrivateRadio
03-27-2007, 11:21 PM
His smile during the Cowabunga Carl Retirement scene was oddly reminiscent of "Wallace & Gromit", or even "Chicken Run". Very wide. Wierd, but kinda cute, too. :)

I saw a huge Wallace and Gromit resemblance in Don's smile after saying "This has Winter's name written all over it"

Splinter's Iroonna
03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
I will ignore the word "retard" as I'm sleepy and not focusing well-- but it was my understanding that Kevin Munroe wanted to ensure that Mikey was seen as the YOUNGEST of the turtles-- hence the "blue" eyes and a few other things.

And I must say, it worked beautifully. I've always felt that he was the "youngest", even in the original comics for some strange reason, and he wasn't "off the wall" there.

Anyway, I liked that they ALL had a distinct look, and I think Mikey's worked perfectly for him.

zkarlette
03-27-2007, 11:55 PM
His face got a little weird when he was watching the news report about the night watcher ( maybe a little Disney) honestly I don't know , I liked him but I don't think that to make him look younger or fun they need to suck out the toughness in him

Fledermaus
03-28-2007, 12:02 AM
I thought Mikey had a strong, distinctive design -- very appealing character with those eyes wide and set apart. He looked very friendly and fun-loving. Pretty much all the girls who came with my group last Friday thought he was "adorable."

So I guess that's a good sign.:D

Masked Ninja
03-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey, I've always said that the vol.1 issue 1 TMNT could be done quite comfortably in the style of Wallace and Gromit. When my brain made that connection while watching the movie, I didn't take it as a negative thing... :)

ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
03-28-2007, 01:45 AM
I feel they did a great job of capturing Mikey's innocence and youth.

Ballerninja
03-28-2007, 06:00 AM
I agree. They made him out to seem young and innocent instead of older and dumb as some of the previous projects have done. In previous years, he always reminded me of a stoner instead of a Ninja. Still gotta love him, though! Man, the faces and noises he made while watching the Nightwater news report... hahahahahahaha I love Mikey!

"They had all these guns... but they weren't like THESE GUNS!! rawrrr." :lol:

Seiza
03-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Pretty much all the girls who came with my group last Friday thought he was "adorable."
Other than the slightly strange look he got at the Nightwatcher news, Mikey stole all the attention from my group of girlfriends too. I thought the blue eyes were the best part of his design. He's just so... round and cuddly in the movie. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the designers really succeeded in making him look so young and adorable.

I liked him but I don't think that to make him look younger or fun they need to suck out the toughness in him
Aw, Mikey can look tough! I wouldn't wanna mess with him if he's in that TMNT movie website pose.

Tinuvielsdreams
03-28-2007, 07:00 AM
I am glad this got mentioned I thought the same thing...They did try to give them all a different look, I did wonder why he was the only one to have a noticeably different eye color. They must have really wanted to capture the playful side of him which I think they did nicely.
There is a difference is build for each turtle too, I just liked how they tried something different.
As for being tough...He still seemed pretty eager to fight

Jo Dawn
03-28-2007, 07:09 AM
I thought they did Mikey quite well (and Mikey, oh poor Mikey) is almost always a source of contention for me. Sometimes they make him TOO 'Mikey', ya know?

I thought this was a perfect Mike. Yes, the voice was softer, he wasn't as goofy... But it played off pretty well when he was.

Though I would liked to have seen him get ticked off, as a high contrast.

RAPHAEL#1fan
03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
His face got a little weird when he was watching the news report about the night watcher ( maybe a little Disney) honestly I don't know , I liked him but I don't think that to make him look younger or fun they need to suck out the toughness in him

That scene for some reason is one of my favorits.:) I love how they did Mikey. Just wish I saw some cool numchucks action.:-?

heretic888
03-28-2007, 09:01 AM
I dunno.

I was personally displeased with how they handled Michelangelo. The fact that he (like Donatello) had about ten lines in the entire movie didn't help, either.

Then again, I'm generally displeased with how Mike's character has been handled in every medium except the comics: in Mirage, he's an insightful artist; in Archie, pretty much the same; and in Dreamwave, he was genuinely hilarious. In pretty much all the movies and television shows, by contrast, he comes across as a pop-culture junkie recovering from ADHD.

It seemed, to me, that Mike was just put in the movie for slap-stick comedy and laughs (in much the same way Don seems to be there solely for the "smart guy" moment or two).

Ah, well....

invictus1002
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
i thought his look was somewhat awkward in certain scenes like when he was watching the nightwatcher report...but in terms of his character i think they did a pretty good job i chuckled at all of his jokes even when he was sleeping and snoring "duuuuude"... but i think they could have done with out one or more of his falling incedents like after he says "i'm smart"

1984TMNT
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I tend to agree that at times his face seemed ackward. What I noticed the most was his eyes being set too far apart (most noticable in the scene where he is watching the Nightwatcher highlights)...I understand they did that to give him a more innocent look, however, Mikey can be a bada$$ too (in the comics) and it would have been nice to see a little bit of that side to him. They did a good job of showing Leo and Raph in different lights within the movie, so here's hoping they do the same with Mike and Donny in the next.

Also thought I would throw out there that the current lineup of TMNT action figures are also pretty well done, except of course, Mikey. They gave him the WORST facial expression I have ever seen on a TMNT figure. Luckily, they also have boxed sets where each turtle comes with one of the Generals, and each has a different head (Mikey's is much, MUCH better in this version and actually is the best looking of all the Turtles I.M.O.).

Anyone else notice this?

Revan
03-28-2007, 12:52 PM
It looked different but's whether or not it looked goofy is all a matter of opinion.

I loved how each turtle was unique in their head and body structure. Its always good to see each turtle's individuality.

ajistheman
03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
i'd have to say I love this mikey a LOT more than the new cartoon. He seems like a happy guy (because of his constant smiling, eyebrows raised, happy sounding voice), is funny, but unlike the new cartoon isn't DUMB. His jokes come from him saying, "cowabunga", making a good play on words (looks more like "fall" to me), happy innocence (didn't know how else to describe scenes such as him retiring his cowabunga carl helmet). His jokes are not because he is stupid like the 2003 show. Which makes me happy, because that is something I wish the writers wouldn't do from the new show. I don't want any of my 4 favorite turtles to be portrayed as being so dumb (secret orgins always comes to mind when he keeps trying to eat the virtual food, and even splinter laughs at him). It seems all CGI movies have something cute, and in TMNT it's Mikey. Which I'm fine with, because a large percent of the audience likes the cuteness of CGI films

Willis
03-29-2007, 01:44 AM
i'd have to say I love this mikey a LOT more than the new cartoon. He seems like a happy guy (because of his constant smiling, eyebrows raised, happy sounding voice), is funny, but unlike the new cartoon isn't DUMB. His jokes come from him saying, "cowabunga", making a good play on words (looks more like "fall" to me), happy innocence (didn't know how else to describe scenes such as him retiring his cowabunga carl helmet). His jokes are not because he is stupid like the 2003 show. Which makes me happy, because that is something I wish the writers wouldn't do from the new show. I don't want any of my 4 favorite turtles to be portrayed as being so dumb (secret orgins always comes to mind when he keeps trying to eat the virtual food, and even splinter laughs at him). It seems all CGI movies have something cute, and in TMNT it's Mikey. Which I'm fine with, because a large percent of the audience likes the cuteness of CGI films

I'd have to say the "dumbest" thing I seen from Mikey was how he ended the skateboarding clip. When he hits the fan grate and says "dude".

Yeah I got a good laugh out of it and thought to myself "yeah.. that's Mikey!".. but I'd have thought he would be smarter then to go head-on into something like that. Since I'm sure thats not the first time he skated down that course.

It just caused a logical ?HUH? to me... so I guess call it a guilty pleasure.

Everything else I thought was pretty good.. how he acts when he's asleep dreaming to how he can make a joke (even if it's only him smiling) out of any situation.

Spacefille
03-29-2007, 01:57 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of the designs, though they did grow on me during the movie. That being said, my boyfriend who I dragged to the movie saw Mikey in one scene and said "Gecko".

And it made sense to me. So yeah, I'd agree with the first poster. Mikey looked a bit weird.

The blue eye thing we guessed was because he was supposed to look as American surfer dude as possible. There is the interesting note that Mikey's eyes aren't as slanted up as Raph and Leo's. Once I noticed that, coupled with the eyecolor, the other boys look kinda asian if it is possible for a turtle to look asian. Which would fit the entire Ninja thing.

I do agree that Mikey ended up looking young and cute and innocent, so if that was their intention, they succeeded.

Sage Ninja
03-29-2007, 02:02 AM
I thought Michaelangelo's character design was good in this movie. He didn't look to out there and he was actually looked cute. I had my misgiveings about Michaelangelo's blue eyes but I found that they looked very well on him. I do think that his eyes where set a bit to far apart which made him look (God forgive me) like a person with down syndrome on occasion. And there was a few time where his facial expression looked pretty off, espically when he grinned to widely. I also think that, as cool as it was that they made Michaelangelo cute, I could have done with him looking a bit tougher looking. I mean he is a warrior and the fact that he looks a bit too cuddely sort of takes away from that.

I dunno.

I was personally displeased with how they handled Michelangelo. The fact that he (like Donatello) had about ten lines in the entire movie didn't help, either.

Then again, I'm generally displeased with how Mike's character has been handled in every medium except the comics: in Mirage, he's an insightful artist; in Archie, pretty much the same; and in Dreamwave, he was genuinely hilarious. In pretty much all the movies and television shows, by contrast, he comes across as a pop-culture junkie recovering from ADHD.

It seemed, to me, that Mike was just put in the movie for slap-stick comedy and laughs (in much the same way Don seems to be there solely for the "smart guy" moment or two).

Ah, well....

I agree with you to extent, I have always felt a little displeased with how Michaelangelo has been portrayed in the media to extent. Most mediums seem to throw him into this sterotype of just being the comic relief and the silly annoying guy, when he has so many other traits to his personality that makec him a great character, but get all but ignored and down played in the media.

With that said i will say that I thought the this movies representation of Michaelangelo was alright. This could be because he was hardly explored in the movie but at least I didn't see anything that I hated about him. I was really afraid that the movie was going to make him overly hyper and annoying but I thought he was more subdued than how he has been portrayed in other mediums. I thought his whole obsession with Night watcher was going to be painful to watch but actually he wasn't all that "obessed" with Nightwatcher as I thought he was going to be. If anything Mikey showed more admiration for Nightwatcher than obsession which was a relief. I did however think his usage of the word "dude" was toned dopwn though.

sango
03-29-2007, 05:49 AM
I thought he looked cute but not liek over-the-top cute. The cuteness shined in the way he acted, rully! He's got a babyface, def...and I like his headshape, it's so different from his brothers..he's got that more squared snout with a kinda dip, and his forehead sticks out more too..bahaha!

I relate to the big blue eyes thing cuz i know it gives me attention mwahaha! @___@

Tinuvielsdreams
03-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Yeah it works well for me too and I am a sucker for blue eyes :)

...and Spacefille you said your boyfriend said "Geko" about Mikey...
I actually heard more complaints along that line about Leo because his face is wider... Pointing out the possibilty of an Asian look is very interesting though, that is a good observation

Mikey's huge mouth yawn made me giggle, but I do give credit to the team for trying to make each turtle individual. I wonder if the sequel will use the same exact character models or if they will tweak them?

angrylobster
03-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Personally I loved his look in the movie. It definitely made him look like the baby of the family.

Revan
03-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd have to say the "dumbest" thing I seen from Mikey was how he ended the skateboarding clip. When he hits the fan grate and says "dude".

Yeah I got a good laugh out of it and thought to myself "yeah.. that's Mikey!".. but I'd have thought he would be smarter then to go head-on into something like that. Since I'm sure thats not the first time he skated down that course.

It just caused a logical ?HUH? to me... so I guess call it a guilty pleasure.

He did not hit any fan gate! What are you talking about? Just before he gets to the fan, he stops and picks his board up and jumps down to the lair.

Roseangelo
03-29-2007, 09:12 AM
He did not hit any fan gate! What are you talking about? Just before he gets to the fan, he stops and picks his board up and jumps down to the lair.

Neutrino is right. The trailer makes it look like he hit it by mistake, but in the movie you can see that falling down that hole is obviously the last "turn" to get home. Mike knows what he's doing. 8)

Willis
03-29-2007, 10:33 AM

Wow.. I must have blinked or something then because I missed that bit. Thx's for the clear-up.

The Shelf
03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I almost missed it myself. I actually think they made Mikey smarter in this movie than they usually portray him. He's just goofy along with it. I have this theory that Mikey actually stages all his "falling" stunts to make himself appear like a total dunce (... I always find it creepy when I rhyme unintentionally) like the "I'm smaaart" scene.

Revan
03-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Neutrino is right. The trailer makes it look like he hit it by mistake, but in the movie you can see that falling down that hole is obviously the last "turn" to get home. Mike knows what he's doing. 8)

I noticed many differences between the movie and trailer. There was much in the trailer that I was waiting for... and waiting for... but never came. Then the movie ended and I was confused, like "was I not paying attention?"

Kunoichi_Haruko
03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I noticed many differences between the movie and trailer. There was much in the trailer that I was waiting for... and waiting for... but never came. Then the movie ended and I was confused, like "was I not paying attention?"

Unfortunately, discrepancies like that are becoming more common in movies these days. There have been numerous times I've gone to a movie expecting a scene to play out like I saw in the trailer, and the scene happens, but it's cut completely differently. Or worse, not shown at all... :ohwell:

The Shelf
03-29-2007, 11:54 AM
You know, it's interesting why this happens. Many people get disappointed when they see a trailer for a movie and realize that all the best parts of the movie were in the trailer. I wonder if movie-makers are intentionally making extra scenes specifically for the trailers so that people will not have these complaints anymore. After all, if trailer scenes aren't in the movie, then how can the best scenes of the movie be in the trailers? Unfortunately, as you guys are all pointing out, this gives a false representation of the movie and leaves many people feeling robbed.

Another similar problem is that movie-makers edit the scene so that it may be the same scene as the trailer but the dialog is different. This happened in Pirates 2 where Bloom's character (I suddenly can't think of his name! [EDIT: I just remembered, Turner!]) says, "I'm not leaving without Jack," and then he spots the natives chasing Jack and says, "Nevermind, let's go!" That was in the trailer, but in the movie for that exact same scene he says something slightly different that wasn't as funny. My mom loved that scene in the trailer and was very disappointed when she saw the movie.

I wonder if there's any middle-ground for movie-makers where they can make an attractive trailer that doesn't ruin or spoil the best parts of the movie for people? It's easy to complain about it from our end, but I'm willing to bet it's a much harder job for the people who actually have to make the trailers.

Willis
03-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Another similar problem is that movie-makers edit the scene so that it may be the same scene as the trailer but the dialog is different. This happened in Pirates 2 where Bloom's character (I suddenly can't think of his name! [EDIT: I just remembered, Turner!]) says, "I'm not leaving without Jack," and then he spots the natives chasing Jack and says, "Nevermind, let's go!" That was in the trailer, but in the movie for that exact same scene he says something slightly different that wasn't as funny. My mom loved that scene in the trailer and was very disappointed when she saw the movie.

I know we're going off-topic but I really agree and hate that. Typically it's that the trailer is given really great scenes (regardless if their in the movie or not) and really makes people just die for the movie to come.. but when it does, it's just a total letdown.

This was not the case of TMNT thankfully.

Spacefille
03-29-2007, 01:24 PM
OT: More people would have gone to movie right away if they showed flashes of the Raph/Leo fight during the trailer... :D

Sage Ninja
03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I thought they did Mikey quite well (and Mikey, oh poor Mikey) is almost always a source of contention for me. Sometimes they make him TOO 'Mikey', ya know?

I thought this was a perfect Mike. Yes, the voice was softer, he wasn't as goofy... But it played off pretty well when he was.

Though I would liked to have seen him get ticked off, as a high contrast.

I agree sometimes they go over the top with Michaelangelo and make him way to out there. I just love the fact that he wasn't bratty in the movie and that had me scared. And the goofiness was not cring-worthy. in fact he was no more goofy than a normal teenager his would be so I was pleased. I notice quite a few people have commented that in this movie Mikey's voice was softer. I want to know what people mean by that because I didn't think he sounded soft at all. Did you mean his voice made his personality softer and less extreme or did actually mean his voice seemed softer in this movie compared to other representations of him?

And I agree I would liked to see Michaelangelo get really ticked off. I think anger snapping out of those blues eyes of his he would have looked pretty awsome (maybe even threateneing). I think anger portrayed on a character with blue eyes makes a strong impact.

but i think they could have done with out one or more of his falling incedents like after he says "i'm smart"

ugh, I know! I was getting mildly irked by all all the "falls" Michaelangelo was taking in the movie. I mean come on now I really don't like when they make Mikey the victim of physical humour to much (and they did it an awful lot in the old toon as well as the new one) he's a ninja for goodness sakes he is supposed to be completely comfertable with his body, don't make him klutzy! Although the skate board fall right after the "I'm smart" line, I did find pretty funny since I wasn't expecting it.

Spacefille
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I always saw Mikey's falls as a concentration issues. They're playing him like someone who has ADHD and, being a kid with ADHD, I took a lot of falls back in the day. I'm still clumsy when I'm thinking of something else.

Thing is is I can concentrate and do fine. I'm sure Mikey has the same thing when he's fighting. Of course, when Mikey is fighting, he still comes across as ADD (my shoulder, my spleen!) but the wonders of ADD is you can snap into focus when your life is actually in danger and/or it's something important.

So I saw all of Mikey's falls as concentration issues. Oh look I'm concentrating on how smart I am, not on what I'm actually doing *fall* and Oh look Leo's home I'm so excited, and then he slips and falls.

Now if someone could get Mikey some ADD medication, he'd be a lot more functional. However I wouldn't want that because it'd change Mikey and he won't be as sweet and lovable anymore. :(

johnnyblaze
03-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Mikey seemed pretty focused when he was fighting the generals. Granted they didn't do alot of close ups but when they did he was dead serious. Hell he even checked to see if Master Splinter was doing ok while he was fighting

Willis
03-30-2007, 12:05 AM
And I agree I would liked to see Michaelangelo get really ticked off. I think anger snapping out of those blues eyes of his he would have looked pretty awsome (maybe even threateneing). I think anger portrayed on a character with blue eyes makes a strong impact.

That is a very good idea.

Being this movie's main turtle was Raph, they did a good job at showing how he uses his weapons and showing off his anger.

I'd like to see in a sequel besides some good Don time - a good fight scene with Mikey. The Sword and Bo are fairly well known weapons as far as usage.. but to really see the nunchaku would be very nice.

The irony as I see it, is everyone knows what happens when Raph gets mad... but if you think that's mad just unplug Mikey's video game before he gets the high score or steal his pizza.

Spacefille
03-30-2007, 12:30 AM
but if you think that's mad just unplug Mikey's video game before he gets the high score or steal his pizza.

*dies laughing* But then when he got done being mad he'd go off to pout, so maybe that's a bad idea. Funny though! XD

PrivateRadio
03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I notice quite a few people have commented that in this movie Mikey's voice was softer. I want to know what people mean by that because I didn't think he sounded soft at all. Did you mean his voice made his personality softer and less extreme or did actually mean his voice seemed softer in this movie compared to other representations of him?

It was softened compared to other representations of him. All those really harsh, ridiculous surfer voices he had. The closest he came to even sounding almost real before this was in the first movie.

Rooish
03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Eh, I thought Mikey looked weird and a little too skinny. Mostly in his first scene in the lair when he was watching TV, I felt kind of uncomfortable watching him. He was cute, though. I do like the idea of "little brother" Mikey. And I did like his voice.

Ninja Tiptup
03-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Mikey's face definently didn't look right to me. His eyes were way far apart and his grin got crazy sometimes. Don's eyes were a bit far apart as well. So IMO Donny and Mike got jobbed in the design department as well as in the screen time department. And Mike's standard action figure looks like he's on crack.

The Shelf
03-31-2007, 09:09 AM
And Mike's standard action figure looks like he's on crack.

Mikey is on crack! :lol:

Kunoichi_Haruko
03-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Mikey's face definently didn't look right to me. His eyes were way far apart and his grin got crazy sometimes. Don's eyes were a bit far apart as well. So IMO Donny and Mike got jobbed in the design department as well as in the screen time department. And Mike's standard action figure looks like he's on crack.

That's funny, I thought Don's eyes were the best looking. It's Leo's eyes that bugged the crap out of me when I first saw his design...

But I'll agree, Mikey's figure does make him look like he's off his meds or something. ;)

Spike Spiegel
03-31-2007, 10:14 AM
I didn't like Leo's eyes either (on my standard figure, haven't seen the movie yet).

Youal
03-31-2007, 10:45 AM
I agree with Marty Mcfly. I'm totaly cool with the looks of the turtles. The designer did a bang up job in my opinion. I have only have a few nitpick problem with Leo. The eyes just doesn't look right, the beak/nose sticks out too far, cheeks is abit too wide, and his cranium is not thick enough.

Sage Ninja
03-31-2007, 12:13 PM
That is a very good idea.

Being this movie's main turtle was Raph, they did a good job at showing how he uses his weapons and showing off his anger.

I'd like to see in a sequel besides some good Don time - a good fight scene with Mikey. The Sword and Bo are fairly well known weapons as far as usage.. but to really see the nunchaku would be very nice.

The irony as I see it, is everyone knows what happens when Raph gets mad... but if you think that's mad just unplug Mikey's video game before he gets the high score or steal his pizza.

yeah it would be nice to see him scare every one by getting angry and flipping out because some one messed with his stuff. That would make me grin :D. But that would be more of a comical anger rather than than a true anger, which is more of what I like to see from Mikey. I think I would like to see him get rightously anger because a bad guy did some horrible to an innocent person that disgusts Michaelangelo. And some how I think that type of anger would play off awsomely from Mikey. Also blue eyes just look awsome when angry, think Xena warrior princess when you picture blue eyes snapping with anger.

It was softened compared to other representations of him. All those really harsh, ridiculous surfer voices he had. The closest he came to even sounding almost real before this was in the first movie.

meh, I don't know. I thought Michaelangelo's voice (even though really his own version) in this movie was just as generic as all the other Michaelangelo voices in other incarnations. You are right the surfer thing wasn't as harsh or ridculous in this movie as it has been in the past. But I still thought the whole "surfer thing" was still present which I found not likeing so much. I really wish the media would completely step away from surfer all together. I think that is why I appreciate New Toon Michaelangelo voice so much because it is the first version in the media that hasn't portrayed Mikey with a surfer voice. He just sounds like a teenager. Although I do think the New Movies Michaelangelo's voice gave him a softer more laid back feel to his character.

Dorkfish
04-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I thought he was adorable! I loved his pouty face when Don made the remark about him being afraid of him having a driver's license (how would he get that anyway? ^^; ) I've always loved Mikey the most because of his cuteness and his look in the movie was just perfect to me. I love their big hands and feet!

And because I'm a dorkfish and fanartist, here are their eye colors for any other artists out there:
Mikey: icey blue
Raph: Red brown
Leo: Yellow/Gold brown
Don: Silver brown

^^;

Shark_Blade
04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Mikey is very cute and adorable :D I think the movie deliver his looks very well, although I'm expecting more nunchakus action.

Swany
04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I think mikey looked great as well, His eyes especially. He looked so young and innocent.

I think how he looked was only half of it though, there was the scripts and movement and stuff like that. I wont go into it too much but at times Mikey is a very complex and mixed up character. If anyone wants I will post my thoughts, but it could take up a bit of space last thing I want is getting into trouble for WASTing preciOUS INTERNET SPACE and going off topic too much . (Blame last years Drama teacher, I am diseccting this movie. Figured out Mikey and Karai so far).

Shark_Blade
04-03-2007, 09:58 AM
I would simply love to read anything about Mikey, Swany:D Please post your thoughts;)

heretic888
04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
I've seen a few terms tossed around on the thread. "Cute", "adorable", "the baby", "innocent", "the youngest"....

Does it bother anyone that these have never been an aspect of Michelangelo's character in virtually any incarnation??

This is one of the problems I have with how both Don and Mike were handled in the movie. They were essentially supporting characters, relegated to stereotype status: Don was there for "smart guy" explanations and Mike was there for comic relief.

Donatello is introspective, contemplative, a little on the reclusive side, and leans toward a pacifist personality. That was totally absent from the movie.

Michelangelo is creative, witty, highly artistic, easygoing, and something of a smartass. That, again, was totally absent from the movie.

The problem I have with how the characters were handled was that Mike was basically an idiot that does slapstick, while Don was basically a walking encyclopedia.

Fledermaus
04-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I've seen a few terms tossed around on the thread. "Cute", "adorable", "the baby", "innocent", "the youngest"....

Does it bother anyone that these have never been an aspect of Michelangelo's character in virtually any incarnation??

Didn't bother me. I thought it was fitting and set his character up for potential growth in future movies.:) And yeah, Kevin Munroe did say he wanted to show that about Michelangelo in this movie:

Why blue? I liked it because it unconsciously made him feel a tad younger and innocent. There are a lot of subtle design differences between these Turtles, once you start analyzing them.

This is one of the problems I have with how both Don and Mike were handled in the movie. They were essentially supporting characters, relegated to stereotype status: Don was there for "smart guy" explanations and Mike was there for comic relief.

Donatello is introspective, contemplative, a little on the reclusive side, and leans toward a pacifist personality. That was totally absent from the movie.

Michelangelo is creative, witty, highly artistic, easygoing, and something of a smartass. That, again, was totally absent from the movie.

The problem I have with how the characters were handled was that Mike was basically an idiot that does slapstick, while Don was basically a walking encyclopedia.

I think that's simplifying their portrayals in the movie. Don was not just a walking encyclopedia spouting off definitions all the time. He wasn't "flat" and neither was Mikey -- we just didn't see them a whole lot. But when we did, we got to see their place in the family. Remember that Don/Raph argument earlier in the film? Mikey was very easygoing -- remember when he comments on the foot ninjas fighting the monster? As for the rest, I don't think that the characters we saw in the movie went against their personalities -- we just didn't see all aspects of their characters in this movie.

Here -- I'm pasting smth I wrote in another thread. I'm too lazy to paraphrase.

Story wise, and this really annoyed me -- neither Don nor Mike actually did anything. They were, without a doubt, side characters. However, for the 80 combined seconds of screen time for Mikey and Mitchell's characters, you guys were perfect. Michelangelo, while funny and appealing, was convincingly portrayed as being the most laid back (without being a looney tunes character), and in some ways the most vulnerable of the family. There's a brief moment when he hugs Leo and then says that hilarious line "I have nightmares about kids' parties." It's funny, but at the same time -- as some of my friends who aren't even TMNT fans noticed -- it was also a little sad. It indicates how much Michelangelo still depends on the elders; he's still a kid. Mitchell's take on Donatello (my favorite turtle) made the character seem aware, sensitive, and mildly skeptical of things. I also loved the slight "I'm smart and I know it" attitude, coupled with a reserved, and for the most part, unspoken frustration regarding the condition of his family. When we first meet him, he's a frustrated Tech Support. He tries to steer people in the right direction, but no one gets what he's saying. It's as though everyone is intentionally trying to misinterpret his suggestions.

Swany
04-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Ok then, but for the time being I'll only post a few things. I'm sad enough that I wrote notes. But these are the most obvious things that made his my current favourite.

(He really lets loose and is himself when skateboarding to the lair/home). But he had to mature when Leo left (Job/Driving). He also doesn’t see to vocal about his problems and seems withdrawn at times (Didn’t tell anyone he was having a tough time at job). And seems stifled with his brothers now ("this place used to be fun" doesn’t seem to get on with Raph much, there’s no interaction between them) But seems to have bonded with Don slightly (Little gestures between them, one where Raph says "Grab a vine jungle boy" Don does a little 'Shall we' and Mikey nods, and right before Raph hands Leo the swords Mikey steps forwards and Don holds him back). Wants to relive the "Glory days" (Idolising and respecting the Nightwatcher, straight away goes to fight the monster) Also as fun loving as he is. He’s not just some idiot, he is maturing and learning at his own speed. (Did no-one else see the dents on the fan grating? So he must have hit it a few times before.) As the youngest (?) he looks up to his older brothers (Imitation. To gain acceptance? There are at least 3 lines where he says something similar to his brother’s feelings). Also being so young he’s easily overwhelmed (Helplessness after Leo’s capture, the look on his face when he sees Raph confess. Also the line "What do we do now?")

That’s all for just now, my brain hurts, plus i'm figuring out the other characters.

heretic888
04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Michelangelo, while funny and appealing, was convincingly portrayed as being the most laid back (without being a looney tunes character)...

You're not serious, are you?? :ohwell:

The three most notable scenes Mike has in the entire movie involve him falling on his head after proclaiming his intelligence, belching at the table, and making a rather creepy grin while watching television. Michelangelo's wit was reduced to slapstick and caricature. He was a "looney tunes character", through and through.

Honestly, his character was acting like he had stepped off piping hot from Fast Forward. Same with Don, really.

Fledermaus
04-03-2007, 04:55 PM
You're not serious, are you?? :ohwell:

The three most notable scenes Mike has in the entire movie involve him falling on his head after proclaiming his intelligence, belching at the table, and making a rather creepy grin while watching television. Michelangelo's wit was reduced to slapstick and caricature. He was a "looney tunes character", through and through.

Honestly, his character was acting like he had stepped off piping hot from Fast Forward. Same with Don, really.

Fast Forward? I can see you enjoy hyperbole, but this is still oversimplification. You must have missed the moments where Mikey showed his more vulnerable, serious, non-looney-tunes side. What about when he first greets Leo? Or when he hears Raph confessing about what he did? A simple line "What do we do now?" is uttered by Michelangelo. He is lost without an "older brother." Heck, even his admiration of the Nightwatcher underscores his desire to have someone to look up to. He's not as one-dimensional as you make him out to be with your entertaining turns of phrase.

I interpreted Mikey's belching at the table, his excitement at seeing the nightwatcher rather as signs of his immaturity. (And immature people can be extremely annoying, or maybe you've never had younger siblings to know.) Mikey reminded me, at times, of my brother when he was younger, dumber, and a perpetual magnet for my fist. But a character that is pure slapstick, a "looney tunes" type character would be saying "nyuck nyuck!" and everyone around him would find it funny. Or he would magically shoot up out of a manhole at the sign of pizza, complete with cartoony sound effect. And that would be the cause of all aspects of his character.

In this movie, his silliness is a result of his immaturity. Mikey certainly had a few moments of slapstick (though it was mostly hit and miss, if you ask me) but that's not all what his character was about. Another sign that Mikey is laid-back... just listen to the delivery of his lines, like when the TMNT are watching the "foot ninjas getting the SNOT kicked out of them." There are other moments as well, but this scene stands out to me because of the delivery. He's not being silly in his delivery -- he's truly being nonchalant and fun-loving, albeit immature.

Roseangelo
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I agree with Swany 100% - I did not see Mike portrayed as idiodic AT ALL. While, of course, I wish there would have been more attention paid to him, I reallyreally liked this Michaelangelo.

For one, he's holding a job, which requires A LOT of maturity. Not only is he holding a job, but it's a job that he CLEARLY does not like. Double maturity points there.

He is at no point portrayed as less skilled, which comes up far too much for my liking in the 2K3/FF series (the recent Graduation Day episode a prime example).

Burping at the kitchen table does not make you idiodic. It's a bodily function; making a show of it is nothing more than a call for attention, which Mikey loves.

His Haley's comet remark actually DID make sense, in a weird sort of way. So what if he fell on his skateboard right after; nobody's perfect. And frankly, holding himself upside down like he did on one hand for so long is impressive in itself.

Kunoichi_Haruko
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I interpreted Mikey's belching at the table, his excitement at seeing the nightwatcher rather as signs of his immaturity.

Hey Fled, could you elaborate on exactly how you connected those two together? I'm scratchin' my head at that one...

heretic888
04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Fast Forward? I can see you enjoy hyperbole, but this is still oversimplification. You must have missed the moments where Mikey showed his more vulnerable, serious, non-looney-tunes side. What about when he first greets Leo? Or when he hears Raph confessing about what he did? A simple line "What do we do now?" is uttered by Michelangelo. He is lost without an "older brother." Heck, even his admiration of the Nightwatcher underscores his desire to have someone to look up to. He's not as one-dimensional as you make him out to be with your entertaining turns of phrase.

I hate to break this to you, but everything you just described takes up less than ten seconds of the entire film. To be frank, that you are trying to read deep psychological insights into a whopping eight seconds of behavior is incredible.

I mean, heck, for one of the examples you gave --- Raph confessing to Splinter --- Mike didn't even say anything. He just stands there and blinks. Ah, but that's right: his blinks are allegories for the agony of little brotherhood and his silent gaping mouth is a symbol for emotional vulnerability. The spaces between the lines and all that.

I like eisegesis as much as the next guy, but good grief. :ohwell:

I interpreted Mikey's belching at the table, his excitement at seeing the nightwatcher rather as signs of his immaturity.

Which is just another way of saying he was there for comic effect.

Another sign that Mikey is laid-back...

Except that he wasn't. Mike came across as extremely hyperactive and extroverted. The impression I got was someone recovering from ADHD.

heretic888
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I agree with Swany 100% - I did not see Mike portrayed as idiodic AT ALL. While, of course, I wish there would have been more attention paid to him, I reallyreally liked this Michaelangelo.

I would have liked him a lot more if he was actually Michelangelo, as opposed to a hyperactive, Cheshire-cat-grinning, neurotic turtle guy with the same name.

His Haley's comet remark actually DID make sense, in a weird sort of way. So what if he fell on his skateboard right after; nobody's perfect. And frankly, holding himself upside down like he did on one hand for so long is impressive in itself.

Rose, seriously, listen to yourself.

In the movie Mike proclaims he's smart and then falls on his head. It was a comic device. The scene wasn't meant to show the deep imperfection and fallibility of Michelangelo's character. It was meant to get laughs from the audience. Which, of course, was his primary "role" in the movie.

Roseangelo
04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Do I wish Mike had a bigger role in the movie that gave more depth to his character? Absolutely. But I don't think what we saw was a "dumb" or ADHD Michaelangelo. That was my point.

heretic888
04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Do I wish Mike had a bigger role in the movie that gave more depth to his character? Absolutely.

I think that really is the essential point here.

The argument has been put forward that if we had seen more of Michelangelo (and probably Donatello), that we would have seen more facets of his character. The idea being that it is not that Mike's character was shallow or superficial, but there just wasn't enough of him to demonstrate his "true" character sufficiently.

The problem here is that we're essentially dealing in the realm of hypothetical could-have-been's. The truth is that we didn't see much depth to Mike's character because of the minuscule amount of airtime he had in the film. Maybe we would have seen more to him given time, but the audience has no way of knowing one way or the other.

So, what we are left with was the guy that falls on his head, belches at the table, makes really bad jokes ("looks more like fall to me"), and has a really creepy Cheshire cat grin. Sure, this isn't the 100% totality of his character in the movie. Its closer to 89%, with these supposed "sensitive" moments making up about 8 seconds.

I dunno. I find myself extremely disappointed at how Mike is done in every format but the comics, but this one especially so. I suppose its part and parcel to the medium of television and movies.

That's all from me this round. Have a good one. ;)

Shark_Blade
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think Mikey was dumb-down in this movie. Mikey's just being himself:D, although I'm expecting some character development in his part though.Mikey and Don deserve some justice.

Fledermaus
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
The problem here is that we're essentially dealing in the realm of hypothetical could-have-been's. The truth is that we didn't see much depth to Mike's character because of the minuscule amount of airtime he had in the film. Maybe we would have seen more to him given time, but the audience has no way of knowing one way or the other.

So, what we are left with was the guy that falls on his head, belches at the table, makes really bad jokes ("looks more like fall to me"), and has a really creepy Cheshire cat grin. Sure, this isn't the 100% totality of his character in the movie. Its closer to 89%, with these supposed "sensitive" moments making up about 8 seconds.

Actually it was really forty seconds to a minute by my estimate if you include the Cowabunga Carl job which Mikey hates. The "Mikey being a total cartoon character" scenes are loud, but brief and infrequent. He just wasn't in this movie much at all to conclude absolutely that he was completely serious (which obviously he wasn't) OR a complete goof (which you think that's all he was). It certainly wasn't the intention of the director to reduce Michelangelo to the 1-sided being you think he is.

You think subtle details are meaningless in this movie. To me, it was the attention to detail with respect to the turtles' characters and interactions with one another that made the movie so effective despite its other huge setbacks. Immaturity is not the same as being funny. Lots of Mikey's "funny" scenes weren't that funny, and they weren't always conscious (crashing, clumsiness, not knowing what to do, getting attacked by children...). His brothers often reacted negatively to this immaturity, showing that, unlike in previous movies, they aren't "in" on whatever juvenile tendencies he still has.

And much as you may detest it, someone has to balance out the weightier characters with a lighter personality.

I know you 100% totally disagree with me, but that's just how I saw the character(s) in this film (which by now, I've seen three times). You may have the last word, though, if you wish.

Jo Dawn
04-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I think a City at War sequel would make everyone happy 'cause Mike could be serious. ;)

...That, or I'm just subliminally putting the idea into people's heads.

City at War

Masked Ninja
04-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I think a City at War sequel would make everyone happy 'cause Mike could be serious. ;)

...That, or I'm just subliminally putting the idea into people's heads.

City at War*zombiestare*
i must write fifteen letters to warner brothers and imagi every day until they make a city at war sequel...
i must write fifteen letters to warner brothers and imagi every day until they make a city at war sequel...

:trazz:

Jo Dawn
04-04-2007, 11:49 AM
*rubs hands together deviously*

Excellllllennnnt.

Um... I mean... *looks around*

Yaaaay Mikey.

City at War

heretic888
04-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I know you 100% totally disagree with me, but that's just how I saw the character(s) in this film (which by now, I've seen three times). You may have the last word, though, if you wish.

Nah, I've said what I'm gonna say. :)

Sage Ninja
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Actually it was really forty seconds to a minute by my estimate if you include the Cowabunga Carl job which Mikey hates. The "Mikey being a total cartoon character" scenes are loud, but brief and infrequent. He just wasn't in this movie much at all to conclude absolutely that he was completely serious (which obviously he wasn't) OR a complete goof (which you think that's all he was). It certainly wasn't the intention of the director to reduce Michelangelo to the 1-sided being you think he is.

You think subtle details are meaningless in this movie. To me, it was the attention to detail with respect to the turtles' characters and interactions with one another that made the movie so effective despite its other huge setbacks. Immaturity is not the same as being funny. Lots of Mikey's "funny" scenes weren't that funny, and they weren't always conscious (crashing, clumsiness, not knowing what to do, getting attacked by children...). His brothers often reacted negatively to this immaturity, showing that, unlike in previous movies, they aren't "in" on whatever juvenile tendencies he still has.

And much as you may detest it, someone has to balance out the weightier characters with a lighter personality.

I think it is fun to take Michaelangelo's character apart and analise it. And I do think there where about (at least two minutes total) of deeper side of Michaelangelo in this film. Its just that the film just barely scratched the serfuce.

Although I do disagree with you on the whole "some one has to balance out the weightier characters, with a lighter personality" assumption. I'm not saying that you are wrong its just you are some what saying that Michaelangelo character doesn't hold as much weight as the other characters (or at least shouldn't) which I think is not true. Michaelangelo has alot of potentical to be a very indepth and weighty character that balances out the other turtles if the media ever tried to. Most Mikey fans are just tired of him being dumbed down and reduced to this mere comic relief and not given any depth just to give the other turtles a more serious role by contrast. Its not really fair to take a really great character and dumb him down just for comic relief. I think that is what that heretic guy was saying. Correct me if I'm wrong or being presumptious heretic!

think that really is the essential point here.

The argument has been put forward that if we had seen more of Michelangelo (and probably Donatello), that we would have seen more facets of his character. The idea being that it is not that Mike's character was shallow or superficial, but there just wasn't enough of him to demonstrate his "true" character sufficiently.

I dunno. I find myself extremely disappointed at how Mike is done in every format but the comics, but this one especially so. I suppose its part and parcel to the medium of television and movies.

I agree with this, although I will say that personally despite his cartoony-ness, this representation of Mike wasn't that bad. The media seems to victimise his character by dumbing him down and making him more an icon for the kiddie. Which is where this off the wall ADHD Michaelangelo persona comes from.

Personally, since this is supposed to be more closely rooted with Mirages world, and as a Michaelangelo fan. I would like to see a Michaelangelo persona that caters more to his older fans rather than the kiddy ones. You know a more realistic well porpotioned, houmourous and laid back in causual settings, but serious and edgy deadly fighting machine in battle, kind of representation. I want to see Mirage Michaelangelo. I also want to see his deadlier side explored and see his lethally and confident warrior side played up more in any future sequal. I think what makes Michaelangelo so intersting is the fact that he is basically innocence and deadliness as one. I would love seeing this muliti-faceted side of him played up the screen, with his good natured goodness set off by his serious deadly warrior side. I think that could be a good dynamic to play up, maybe have those two sides get in the way of each other on occasion and creat a bit of drama for his character. Maybe have an instance where his empathy toward an enemy forces him to let him go instead of killing him and that enemy comes back to cause more problems for him.

I would also Michaelangelo to presented as bit smarter as well. I mean he doesn'yt have to be super tech guy or smart like Don or brilliant stratigist like Leo, but just have him with more intelligence and perception than what he has been given up in ost mediums.

I guess that all I have to say fro this round. ;)