PDA

View Full Version : Superman: Doomsday

ZariusTwo
04-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Finally, the teaser trailer is out

http://www.totaleclips.com/player/player.aspx?custid=102&clipid=E32340&bitrateid=10&playerid=33&formatid=2

LogicDonny
04-28-2007, 02:57 PM
wow awesome.. so is this any part of the animated series universe? This seem to have the same artwork as the one from JL and superman animted series.

ZariusTwo
04-28-2007, 03:04 PM
wow awesome.. so is this any part of the animated series universe?

It's not in the same continuity, this film is a straight adaptation of the comic, and the voice cast is different

LogicDonny
04-28-2007, 03:46 PM
k when does it come out?

Raph's Girl
04-28-2007, 05:21 PM
k when does it come out?

Dude!!! Can't wait!! That looks totally awesome!! :o Sept 18th can't come soon enough!

I am sooo totally psyched up now for this. But the really funny part is that they got James Marsters as Lex Luthor when he most recently was Braniac in "Smallville" :lol:

Still Anne Heche as Lois and Adam "Jayne!" Baldwin as Superman/Clark Kent! :D

Jester
04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
So the art style is similar, but with a totally new voice cast. Is it Timm/Dinni produced at the very least?
(To answer my own question: (The Ever reliable :roll: ) IMDB (as well as comicbookmovies.com) has Timm as a writer, director and producer. The VAs are Adam Baldwin (Hal Jorden, Sgt. Flagg and Jonas Hex from JLU) as Clark, Anne Heche as Lois, and James Marsden (Brainaic from Smallville) as Lex.)

Raph's Girl
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
So the art style is similar, but with a totally new voice cast. Is it Timm/Dini prodused at the very least?

Written by Bruce Timm and Duane Caprizzi.

Duane Caprizzi also wrote The Batman vs Dracula movie as well as Brainiac Attacks among other things.

*looks at his credits* He wrote the TMNT OS ep "Cowabunga Shredhead" :lol:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0135184/

Jester
04-28-2007, 05:41 PM
"Yea!" to Cowabunga, Shredhead.
"Boo!" to Brainiac Attacks. That film was god-awful.
Indifferent towards Batman vs. Dracula. I never got into The Batman.

Cure
04-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Didn't he already fight him?

EDIT: No wait, I'm thinking of Darkseid. My mistake.

DrSpengler
04-28-2007, 06:42 PM
He fought him in JLU, but that's a seperate continuity.

And I'm looking forward to this. It may not be the deepest most astonishing comic ever written, but I still have a soft spot for the Death of Superman and it was one of the first TPBs I ever bought.

Raph's Girl
04-28-2007, 08:00 PM
"Yea!" to Cowabunga, Shredhead.
"Boo!" to Brainiac Attacks. That film was god-awful.
Indifferent towards Batman vs. Dracula. I never got into The Batman.

The Batman vs Dracula is definatly one of my fave Batman films. It's up there with Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, and Mystery of the Batwoman.

The only odd thing about the movie is that it starts out with Batman chasing Joker. Who then seemingly falls to his doom over a dam. And Batman is saddened by his "death"! WTF? And when he finds Joker sorta alive (undead really) Batman is happy to see him and spends the rest of the movie trying to find a way to cure him.

There's a really intense fight scene between Batman and Vamped Joker in a blood bank that is probably the best scene out of the movie. Dracula is quite scary and poor Penguin is forced to work for him since it's his blood that accidentally resurrects him.

Jester
04-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Hmmm, I have all the Batman movies, but Mystery of the Batwoman, and i heard that it's lack luster. I should give Bv.D a try. Batman never kills. To be upset over an assumed death, even of an enemy, by his own hands (and I assume Bruce had a hand in the fall, right?) would make him grieve. And on trying to "cure" Joker, he tried to cure Harvey Dent in BM:TAS.

Raph's Girl
04-28-2007, 08:12 PM
even of an enemy, by his own hands (and I assume Bruce had a hand in the fall, right?) would make him grieve.

Yea.. Batman tried to save him from falling and failed so he felt guilty over it.

LogicDonny
04-29-2007, 12:24 AM
so september.. that's far away..

Hero
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I cant get that trailer to work. I hope I am not missing out something good here.

===HERO

gobo
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
^^ It's not supposed to have audio, if that's what you mean.

Spawn Guy
05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
So, wait, everything out of the arc? Including World without a superman?

Other than fanboy nitpicking which I can probably find the answer to by doing a Google search, good news. I'm more excited about this because it actually shows us the The New Frontier DTV is coming.

MadPirateBunny
05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
What? I'm a day behind so they take down the trailer?

Spike Spiegel
05-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I couldn't get the trailer either.

LogicDonny
05-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Seems Warner must have taken the video down on that site as well as Youtube. Was it too early for the trailer to be released?

I googled the trailer.. couldn't find anything but "taken down warner bros" on youtube, the imdb site didn't ahve it.

I saw it before it was taken down.

gobo
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Since it had no audio, it's safe to say it was a leak.

Raph's Girl
05-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Since it had no audio, it's safe to say it was a leak.

No audio??? Wha?? What are u talking about. I heard an audio. The movie guy talked about how the movie was based on the greatest graphic novel of all time....and how the movie shows for the first time "Superman falling in love", "Superman losing" "Superman dying" and "Superman coming back to life!".... and when he came back he had long hair.. and said "Over my dead body!"....

gobo
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
O_o I tried over and over and over. It never played audio for me. :(

Raph's Girl
05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Warner Bros. has launched the official website for the up-coming direct-to-DVD animated movie Superman: Doomsday. While Warner Bros. did ask sites to pull down the prematurely leaked video trailer for this movie a few days ago, they have now launched an official site. Currently the site has a behind-the-scenes video showcasing interviews with cast and crew, with animated storyboards displayed in the background. The website will be updated regularly with new content as the September 18th release date approaches.

And now ya know. Addy to the official site below. :D

http://supermandoomsdaydvd.com/

LogicDonny
05-03-2007, 12:18 AM
the trailer before it was taken down had audio.

Raph's Girl
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
The first image is up for Superman Doomsday and it's a screen shot of Kevin Smith's cameo appearance in the movie! :lol:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0707/24/kevinsmith.jpg

Spawn Guy
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Heh heh heh. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk)

KROW
07-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Heh heh heh. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk)

Best bit ever. I watched that clip six or seven times after my initial viewing and I never got tired of it. :lol:

Spawn Guy
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
The Superman Lives script is actually floating around out there in internet land. Here it is, just for **** and giggles.

http://corky.net/scripts/supermanLives.html

Spike Spiegel
07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
I just saw the preview on the official site. This movie looks awesome.

Raph's Girl
08-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Here's the trailer for Superman Doomsday!

http://www.vidly.net/superman-doomsday-movie-trailer.html

ZariusTwo
08-05-2007, 11:55 AM
More old news from Raph's girl! EXCLUSIVE!

Raph's Girl
08-05-2007, 11:57 AM

Well the trailer that was online before was taken off so those links didn't work anymore :P

Barkworm
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, but it's been on youtube for quite a while.

Personally I don't care much for the animation.

Leonardo Leads
08-07-2007, 03:24 AM
I caught the screening at Comic Con. Loved it.

gobo
08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Here's the trailer for Superman Doomsday!

http://www.vidly.net/superman-doomsday-movie-trailer.html
Thanks! I never got a chance to hear the voices last time.
Yeah, but it's been on youtube for quite a while.
Maybe you guys could have said so sooner? I would have appreciated it.

JetsAndHeels
08-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I can't wait for this to come out. September 18th is going to be an expensive day for me with dvds. :)

Leonardo Leads
08-07-2007, 10:20 AM
My Brief Review

The narration in the begging of the film is beautiful, and followed by a powerful score with the opening credits.

While in the first 30 mins or so, I wasn't so sure of how the film would be. A simple way of getting things moving is just introducing the Doomsday character, and how he got there. The sequence of Superman and Doomsday fighting was thought out well but at times, feels like its drags on.

But once Superman is dead, the film finally begins to pick up. We see Jimmy, Martha, Lois, and Lex all grieve in their own interesting ways. And one of the things I loved the most about this film is the sick incarnation of Lex, I'd never seen the character like this before. What Lex does as well to help him get through the absence of Superman is so fascinating as well and is one of the stronger elements of the film. Seeing Lois as a Lover of Superman, and Martha as his mother communicating was also very strong.

The humor of the film is very dark, which I wasn't expecting but I loved it. And there are also very dark moments any way which a story like this would need. Even if you've read The trilogy connecting the Death of Superman, watching this film is a completely new experience and will definitely surprise you.

8.1/10

JetsAndHeels
08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
My Brief Review

The narration in the begging of the film is beautiful, and followed by a powerful score with the opening credits.

While in the first 30 mins or so, I wasn't so sure of how the film would be. A simple way of getting things moving is just introducing the Doomsday character, and how he got there. The sequence of Superman and Doomsday fighting was thought out well but at times, feels like its drags on.

But once Superman is dead, the film finally begins to pick up. We see Jimmy, Martha, Lois, and Lex all grieve in their own interesting ways. And one of the things I loved the most about this film is the sick incarnation of Lex, I'd never seen the character like this before. What Lex does as well to help him get through the absence of Superman is so fascinating as well and is one of the stronger elements of the film. Seeing Lois as a Lover of Superman, and Martha as his mother communicating was also very strong.

The humor of the film is very dark, which I wasn't expecting but I loved it. And there are also very dark moments any way which a story like this would need. Even if you've read The trilogy connecting the Death of Superman, watching this film is a completely new experience and will definitely surprise you.

8.1/10

Thanks for the review!!

Neal Bailey of the superman homepage said that watching superman after he returns is chilling. The way he fights and is darker than his normal self.

I can't wait to buy this dvd. Just a little over a month to go.

Leonardo Leads
08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh yeah, Superman definitely comes back with a Darker Personality, and some of the gritty scenes are fantastic

I love what Bruce Timm and co. are doing with these DC DTV Series

they can hold us over until The Dark Knight, and Man of Steel

Raph's Girl
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
IGN has some scenes from the movie: 1 is the discovery of Doomsday's craft

Lex Luthor: "How old is it??"
Scientist: "Uh well we're deep um...so before christ..."

Yea...that tells us alot.... :lol:

And the other is the start of the battle (not so sure about Superman's voice).
http://media.dvd.ign.com/media/890/890994/vids_1.html

Leonardo Leads
08-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Don't worry Adam Baldwin is very consistent in the movie, he pulls through.

kerfootw
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
I also saw the trailer on my Spawn TAS 10th Anniversary DVD.

DrSpengler
09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
My review. (http://www.filmsy.com/reviews/superman-doomsday-review/)

I thought it did a fairly good job of condensing the Death and Return of Superman into 75 minutes and the fight scenes were real good. Hated the cast, primarily, though I kinda dug John DiMaggio as Toyman.

Gave it a B-.

Spawn Guy
09-18-2007, 07:50 PM
So when does this hit the UK again?

Drtooth
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
You know, I never liked Superman at all.....

And yet, I frikkin wanna see this movie.

Jester
09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
It's pretty good. I enjoyed the action. Kinda wish they'd have done more with the "He's gone." emotional content. I'd love to see it done with the S:TAS voice actors. Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor!

Spitfire
09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
They didn't use the voice cast from the series? What kinda bull is that? They did in all the Batman films.

Jester
09-18-2007, 11:10 PM
This is outside the DCU continuity, as is New Frontier. The thought "New continuity, new VAs." The Batman films are DCU canon.

ZariusTwo
09-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Yep, this is similar to Marvel's direct-to-DVD tripe, only there GREAT.

Mandi-chan
09-19-2007, 03:46 AM
You know, I never liked Superman at all.....

Yeah, I agree.

I've never had the desire to read the comics, animated series, or movies. And Smallville bored me to tears after a while.

The only Superman thing I can honestly say I've enjoyed and love is "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman"

I must admit though, the trailer for this caught my eye.

Spawn Guy
09-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Yep, this is similar to Marvel's direct-to-DVD tripe, only there GREAT.

Not exactly a fair comparision though. I mean, it's Bruce Timm.

JetsAndHeels
09-19-2007, 07:00 AM
I loved it...of course it is Superman so therefore chances are I would have anyway...

the action was great, thought the voices were decent (kind of hard to get used to them when I am so used to the ones on TAS), and I thought the animation was superb. I watched it twice yesterday, and I think another viewing later today is in order as well!!

ZariusTwo
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
The only Superman thing I can honestly say I've enjoyed and love is "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman".

...Christ.[/Cartman]

DrSpengler
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
But Howie Mandell as Mxyzptlk!!

...Though seriously, there is MUCH better Superman media out there to be seen than that goofy 90's comedy-drama. The Dini/Timm Superman animated series probably being the best.

ZariusTwo
09-19-2007, 11:25 AM

...Though seriously, there is MUCH better Superman media out there to be seen than that goofy 90's comedy-drama. The Dini/Timm Superman animated series probably being the best.

Exactly, and Smallville, whilst being Power Rangers, Donner's films, the comics, Dawsons Creek, AND Goosebumps all at the same time without actually being Superman, has had a few good seasons itself.

Drtooth
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM

I loved that episode of the animated series with Gilbert Godfried ad Mxyzptlk.

ZariusTwo
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Gilbert was also in the vastly underrated Gerald-era Superboy seasons as "Nick Nack"

Spitfire
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
This is outside the DCU continuity, as is New Frontier. The thought "New continuity, new VAs." The Batman films are DCU canon.

But didn't someone say Bruce Timm made it? I don't know...seems weird they'd do that.

Those Made for DVD Marvel movies look horrid every time a new turtles DVD comes out I see a trailer for one.

And I laugh my ass off when I see Dr.Strange on Blu-ray...and Ultimate Avengers.

DrSpengler
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I loved that episode of the animated series with Gilbert Godfried ad Mxyzptlk.

That was absolutely magnificent casting on Andrea Romano's part. Godfried was just PERFECT for that role. A shame the follow up episode, "Little Big Head Man" kinda sucked and they never managed to get that Justice League episode with him in it together.

But didn't someone say Bruce Timm made it? I don't know...seems weird they'd do that.

The "Timmverse" is over and done with, this is just Bruce Timm doing adaptations of classic comic stories but with better production values and a PG-13 rating allowing him to administer more daring storytelling.

The previous Superman STV movie, "Brainiac Attacks" also isn't a part of the old "Timmverse" even though it uses his character designs and features several members of the TV show's cast.

These movies are just isolated continuities all off on their own.

gobo
09-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I was trying to find this thread two days ago, but kept getting sidetracked. I found this to be even less pleasing than I expected. Heche's Lane had a few lines that she made me cringe with(it was just too 'drama queen' at times). The super-defined cheek-bones on Clark/Superman were unsightly. And, my most favorite part of the saga, the return of Superman, was replaced with a plot so uninspired that I almost fell asleep. Granted, I didn't expect to see any other superheros at the funeral or even that there would be more than one character masquerading as Superman during the return act. The Kevin Smith-inspired parts were neat, but a bit out of place here. I just expected that I would be more pleased with it than I was.

ZariusTwo
09-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Those Made for DVD Marvel movies look horrid every time a new turtles DVD comes out I see a trailer for one.

Oh they are, no question. Ultimate Avengers is like reading a nursery edition of the first story. Virtually nothing is there, the best performances are from the leading antagonist (Banner) and Fury, Black Widow (whose role in The Ultimates is one bitch of a traitor) does virtually nothing to establish her character and is just seen as Fury's right-hand woman and Cap's busty girlfreind, rather than Iron Man's.

The sequel is a slight improvement in violence and story, but its not remotley an Ultimates tale, and the cliche of having the Nazi alien from WWII Cap fought retain his old uniform throughout the sequel is laughable.

The star of the films is undoubtedly The Hulk, nothing remotley changed. Banner's a victim, but also an asshole, his journey from selfish to selfless is the most mature and well-handled of two movies that spend a lot of time making people shout and brood a lot.

Dr. Doom
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Dr. Strange looked kinda cool.

Spawn Guy
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh they are, no question. Ultimate Avengers is like reading a nursery edition of the first story. Virtually nothing is there, the best performances are from the leading antagonist (Banner) and Fury, Black Widow (whose role in The Ultimates is one bitch of a traitor) does virtually nothing to establish her character and is just seen as Fury's right-hand woman and Cap's busty girlfreind, rather than Iron Man's.

The sequel is a slight improvement in violence and story, but its not remotley an Ultimates tale, and the cliche of having the Nazi alien from WWII Cap fought retain his old uniform throughout the sequel is laughable.

The star of the films is undoubtedly The Hulk, nothing remotley changed. Banner's a victim, but also an asshole, his journey from selfish to selfless is the most mature and well-handled of two movies that spend a lot of time making people shout and brood a lot.

I thought you didn't like the Ultimates...

ZariusTwo
09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I thought you didn't like the Ultimates...

Nor do I like bad adaptations of it.

Raph's Girl
09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
I thought this was a pretty good film. Not as good as Dr. Strange (which I loved) but definatly WAY better than Iron Man or the crappy Ultimates films.

Kevin Smith's cameo was amusing but not needed. Jimmy Olson looked odd sporting an earring...but of course Lois used it as a plot device to lure Jimmy away.

Im just wondering tho... was Lois THAT naive that after 6 months of boinking Supes she STILL didn't know that he and Clark were the same??? WTF?!

At one point Lois mentions she's an Air Force brat. Really? So after years of being an ARMY brat she's now an Air Force brat??? weee! :roll:

Mandi-chan
09-19-2007, 07:05 PM

...Christ.[/Cartman]

Oh, it's cheesy as hell. I'm not going to deny that, but I loved it when I was a kid and still do now.

Even though it's cheesy, it's still fun...and it doesn't bore me to tears like all the other Superman media I've tried to sit through. None of them did it for me, that's all.

Jester
09-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Mandi,
Seen Superman 2. It's my favorite Superman movie.

Yeah, Brainac Attacks was a bit weird. Having Timm/Dini style character designs, several of the original voice actors (though strangly the titular character is not one of them) and a totally out side continuity....that and it totally sucked.

Anyone know why Korey Burton and Clancey Brown didn't do Brainiac Attacks? (My first thought is script...:P)

DrSpengler
09-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Anyone know why Korey Burton and Clancey Brown didn't do Brainiac Attacks? (My first thought is script...:P)

For Clancy Brown, they replaced him with Powers Booth because they wanted a Lex Luthor more like the wacky Kevin Spacey version from Superman Returns. As for the removal of Corey Burton, I can only guess they wanted Lance Henrikson for his name recognition and celebrity status.

Having Timm/Dini style character designs, several of the original voice actors (though strangly the titular character is not one of them)

Actually, Tim Daly DID return to play Superman for Brainiac Attacks after leaving the role for many years (a different actor plays Superman in Justice League). However, he was so out of touch with the character that his performance in Brainiac Attacks was nothing short of awful.

ZariusTwo
09-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Im just wondering tho... was Lois THAT naive that after 6 months of boinking Supes she STILL didn't know that he and Clark were the same??? WTF?!

Lois knew, she clearly knew when the film began and was probing Clark about his "other real name", and she whisperd "clark" as he died. Clark was the only one who wouldnt confirm it himself until the conclusion.

gobo
09-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Jimmy Olson looked odd sporting an earring...but of course Lois used it as a plot device to lure Jimmy away.
He actually had one in each ear. I wished it was only one ear as that made me question his orientation. That's just not right... :ohwell:

Raph's Girl
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Don't worry.. Clancy Brown's back as Lex Luthor this season on The Batman (which premiers Saturday) so all is well with the world. :D

Jester
09-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Actually, Tim Daly DID return to play Superman for Brainiac Attacks after leaving the role for many years (a different actor plays Superman in Justice League). However, he was so out of touch with the character that his performance in Brainiac Attacks was nothing short of awful.

By titular I meant Brainiac, but ok...:P
Don't worry.. Clancy Brown's back as Lex Luthor this season on The Batman (which premiers Saturday) so all is well with the world.
I hope he plays him differently. I know it sounds weird, but Clancy is the DCU Superman...The Batman is a different continuity. I love Clancy's Lex, it'd just be weird to see him out side the Timm/Dini Universe