PDA

View Full Version : What Should the Dreamwave Comic be like?

Chris
01-29-2003, 06:15 AM
Do you think the Dreamwave comic should tie in with the new show or set up its own continuity like Archie did?

Personally I think it would be great if the comic could be tied in with the new show, but since the new show has more continuity than the old one we would have to know when each issue was set due to the ongoing nature of the series storyline. The character development promised by the new show would also make it harder for the comic to pull this off.

One benefit of doing a seperate continuity for the comic would be that it wouldn't have to worry about this and it could be aimed at a slightly more mature market, kind of inbetween the new animated series and the original Mirage comics.

If they could pull off an in continuity comic like I've mentioned above then that would be great, if not then I think a seperate continuity would be the way to go.

Karpo_007
01-29-2003, 07:04 AM
We have a comic forum now, this belong there.

I hope that it would be diffrent from the show. Im hoping it would be lime "ultimate spider-man" wich basicly tells the same story than "Amazing spider-man", But is drawn in diffrent style and makes some diffrences here and there. Both "Amazing Spider-man" and "ultimate spider-man" are on going series, And I like them both.

But as it has been confirmed that it will b based on the show, Im not sure what will become of it. I will buy few issues, and see If I like it.

Chris
01-29-2003, 07:33 AM
How do I move this to the comics forum?

Karpo_007
01-29-2003, 08:49 AM
You can't. One of the general mods will probably do it when they see this.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
01-29-2003, 10:37 PM
It'll probly be similar to the MOTU comic as far as TV show-comic similarities go.

Karpo_007
01-29-2003, 11:12 PM
So how is that? I haven't read it.

beaker
01-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Ok, so I wanted to get a much clearer perspective on why I do not like that new Mirage series at all, and why I am beyond excited about the dreamwave comic.

So I layed out the last few issues of TMNT, and the last few issues of some of the Dreamwave Transformers comic. Looking through the latest TMNT(issue 7 I think) I was absolutely dumbfounded by the bad art. What happened? Badly proportioned stimpled old looking stuff? The 85 series seemed to have more personality than this...I know the comic is trying to look like 17 years ago, but man...

So looking through Transformers and other Dreamwave titles, I couldnt help but be a bit giddy thinkign how glorious the upcoming TMNT comic will look. Ok art wise ya know its gonna rock...Dreamwave puts the best DAMN looking comic on the market today, no question. Story and direction wise, who knows...but official word pinned it as more towards the dark edgy violent side than the Archie kiddy side...lets hope so!
Edgy action filled, drool worthy astonishingly cool color manga styled TMNT? Oh man, does it get any cooler? Im so glad things are getting updated...I mean I am all for 80's revival stuff, but only if its updated.
Thankfully the new comic and cartoon will relfect new TMNT evolution.

Karpo_007
01-30-2003, 12:53 AM
Like I have said, I would hope it would be like the Ultimate Spider-man, Telling the same story in the modern day and using a little diffrent graphic style. The art is probably good, or So I have heard[Haven't read any Dreamwave comics] But what worries me is the fact that it's based on the cartoon. It could become limiting. But let's hope for the best.

It would be cool to have 3 diffrent TMNT books by the end of 2003...

Chris
01-30-2003, 01:15 AM
What's dreamwave's transformers book like? Does it tie in with the continuity of the show or take a similar starting point and go off in a different direction?

Like Karpo I'm hoping it will be an Ultimate style book with its own continuity as tying it in with the ongoing story of the new show would make it harder for the writers to tell long, well planned, story arcs and it would make it harder for readers like myself who may not get to see the show until later in the year.

Sparvid
01-30-2003, 04:36 AM
What's dreamwave's transformers book like? Does it tie in with the continuity of the show or take a similar starting point and go off in a different direction?Just like the Marvel TF comic, and Archie TMNT series, it starts close to the show, and then branches off to another (usually better) direction.

Chris
01-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Sounds promising for an "Ultimate" version of the TMNT then.

HorseTechie
01-30-2003, 10:20 AM
You can't. One of the general mods will probably do it when they see this.

Actually, you have the ability to do it yourself too, Karpo. If you're not sure on how, PM one of us mods and we'll show ya. :wink:

What's dreamwave's transformers book like? Does it tie in with the continuity of the show or take a similar starting point and go off in a different direction?

I have not seen the Armada TV show to compare it with the comic, but I can ask around on the TF forums to see if they followed the same story arc between the two. However, the two comics have different folks in charge. So to compare the Armada run to the TMNT one may not tell much.

What I think they will do (as they did with the TMNT archies) is start out the comics like the cartoon does, then after all the important characters have been established, they would break off from the cartoon's storyline. Just my guess! :D

Karpo_007
01-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Nope, Im only moderating the comic forum...

heretic888
01-30-2003, 11:10 AM
well....

my first choice would to have the dreamwave comic be a continuation of the archie storyline.... i really wanted to see that 'future wars' thingy.....

my second choice would to be have like an 'ultimate tmnt' like karp has been sayin'......

another cool choice would to have a continuation of the old tmnt animates series... ending off with the defeat of kraag....... maybe they could bring in the mutation thingies again??

another cool choice would to have a comic adaptation of the snes tournament fighters.... that would kick ass.......

Aztec General
01-30-2003, 01:33 PM
well....

my first choice would to have the dreamwave comic be a continuation of the archie storyline.... i really wanted to see that 'future wars' thingy.....

another cool choice would to have a continuation of the old tmnt animates series... ending off with the defeat of kraag....... maybe they could bring in the mutation thingies again??

another cool choice would to have a comic adaptation of the snes tournament fighters.... that would kick ass.......

As for the first two there is absolutely no chance of them happening. Both the Archie version and the original animated version of the TMNT are dead and buried. I'm not certain why some people are having such a difficult time accepting/realizing this.

I did like the SNES Tournament Fighters game a great deal. I thought it was awesome that they had Rat King and Karai in it, but where was Casey? Although, I don't see how they'd make a story, let alone a comic book, out of that.

beaker
01-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Is that new TF Armada cartoon any good? Or is more of the Pokecrap Robots in disguise was? *shivers* If its based on the Armada art then that sounds cool.

Oh yeah, there is three...count them three, astonishingly cool mighty fine color anime looking Dreamwave TF titles out...TF Generation one, which just ended but begins again in April...TF Armada of course, and TF The War within...that one is a prequel, and is about the war on cybertron. TF GEn One is a sequel of sorts and pays homage to the original 84-87 cartoon era...but is a sequel to all that. Armada, has that minibots universe going. All three rock and are astonishingly nice to look at.

So yeah lots to look forward to...new toon, new dreamwave comic, new video games. Im pretty darn excited! hehe

Karpo_007
01-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Well even if the art is good, it is not the only thing that matters. Well Ultimate Spider-man is not Rated, and It has death and mature writing, So im hopefull. Just have to read few issues before I decide what I think of it.

azure turtle
01-30-2003, 06:31 PM
I did like the SNES Tournament Fighters game a great deal. I thought it was awesome that they had Rat King and Karai in it, but where was Casey? Although, I don't see how they'd make a story, let alone a comic book, out of that.
I don't know why Casey wasn't in the SNES version... I believe he was in either the Genesis version or the NES version, but I can't remember.

HorseTechie
01-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Is that new TF Armada cartoon any good? Or is more of the Pokecrap Robots in disguise was? *shivers* If its based on the Armada art then that sounds cool.
*lol* Yes.. Armada is more of the same RiD stuff. Reason being was that Hasbro decided to go for the "let's be more appealing to kids" approach. Of course, many of the die hard G1/BW fans are belly aching plenty over it all!

But... since this new TMNT series is aiming to please more of us older fans, I'm not worried that they will "kiddify" the TMNT comic as badly as they did to the Armada series.

Whatever they will do, I can't wait to see it! :evilgrin:

Karpo_007
02-02-2003, 07:09 AM
I hope it will be like the cartoon, suitable for kids but not entirely written for them.

Eye of Sarnath
02-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Based on the other Dreamwave comics, I think it will be.

I'm not sure that the comic won't be better than the show itself.

Karpo_007
02-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Well I hope it would be a diffrent continuity from the show.

Eye of Sarnath
02-02-2003, 05:19 PM
I don't know, I think it should fit in with the events in the show, but not necessarily acknowledge them. Just so we don't have any conflicting, and potentially confusing, story lines.

Karpo_007
02-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Well We can't really know before we get some more info about it.

Psycrow
02-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Hm.... I dunno what it would be like, since we haven't seen any art or info on it. So I'm gonna leave this topic for later.

Eye of Sarnath
02-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Well We can't really know before we get some more info about it.

Which is soon, I hope! I think it looks to be fairly promising.

Karpo_007
02-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Yes, anything named "TMNT" has potential.

Eye of Sarnath
02-03-2003, 11:45 AM
LOL :lol: