PDA

View Full Version : A Turtle's Home Library

Time Mistress
05-29-2007, 09:07 PM
For the curious:

If you ever wondered what Splinter and the boys read here's what Eastman and Laird put on their shelves in TMNT Vol. 1 #2.

History of Games
The Enormous Egg
The Way Things Work
Pascal Something (book cut off in panel)
The Book of Five Rings - by Miyamoto Musashi
Jansen's Art History - the book Splinter named them from?
Tao of Jeet Kun Do
Care and Keeping of Your Turtle
The Nin... (Ninja? again book is cut off by panel)
The Complete Shakespeare
Leo is also reading Dune on the same page

So which Turtle do you think has read what? And what other books would you expect them to be into?

Revan
05-29-2007, 10:23 PM
The Enormous Egg. Ha, I've read this book. Actually my mother read it to me when I was young. It's cute. Seems like something Mikey would enjoy. I haven't read any of the other ones.:P Not much of a reader.

Scandia
05-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Regarding those books, I can only imagine Leo, Donnie, and Splinter reading them. For some reason, I do not think they would appeal to Raph or Mikey. Except perhaps The Enormous Egg when they were toddler turtles.

As a librarian, I cannot help but ponder about their favorite genres:

FICTION

Leo- historical fiction and fantasy
Raph- thrillers and horror
Mikey- adventure stories
Donnie- sci-fi and mysteries

NON-FICTION

Leo- history, books about martial arts
Raph- sports, comedy
Mikey- cookbooks, extreme sports
Donnie- the natural sciences and computers

Katie
05-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Well...it does say that their favorite books are:

Mike-Where the Wild Things Are
Don-A Brief History of Time
Raph-Jurassic Park
Leo-The Art of War (or was it The Book of Five Rings? can't remember right now)

From the "autobiographical" profiles on the main site ;)

hehehe not one of those are on that list....except 5 rings if that is Leo's book :P

The Shelf
05-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Well that "Pascal Something" book is probably about the Pascal programming language, so that's definitely one of Don's books.

Aignatius
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
The Ninja by Eric Van Lustbader? If that's the same book, that one is a bit racy. Hmm.
Tao of Jeet Kun Do is by Bruce Lee.
Art of War and the Book of Five Rings are both by Miyamoto Musashi, AFAIK.

Aignatius
05-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Well that "Pascal Something" book is probably about the Pascal programming language, so that's definitely one of Don's books.

Could also be Pascal's Wager, a philosophy book, though it wasn't published until '92. The programming book was published in 1970. So, that's more likely.

(Wikipedia sure is helpful.) :D

Edit: Crumbs. Sorry about the double posting. :x

Time Mistress
05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
The Art of War is Chinese philosopher/warrior Sun Tzu

The Book of Five Rings is Musashi

I forgot about their favorite books being listed on the official site.

Cascadia
05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Well...it does say that their favorite books are:

Mike-Where the Wild Things Are
Don-A Brief History of Time
Raph-Jurassic Park
Leo-The Art of War (or was it The Book of Five Rings? can't remember right now)

From the "autobiographical" profiles on the main site ;)

hehehe not one of those are on that list....except 5 rings if that is Leo's book :P

Leo's is Art of War.

iris
05-30-2007, 11:51 AM
I like this thread. :D

I think libraries say a bunch about their owners. My jaw kinda dropped at the book cases depicted in the 2007 movie. I so wanted to see what was on those shelves!

Cascadia
05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
same here.

Time Mistress
05-30-2007, 08:57 PM
And here are some of the comics the Turtles have been seen reading/liking

Mike (in addition to Justice Force and Silver Sentry in 2k3) is a fan of:
Nexus
Troll Lords
Flaming Carrot
Love & Rockets
Watchmen

Don:
American Splendor

A lot of these are a tribute to other independent b&w comic books of the 80s. Actually it's thanks to TMNT that I even know what American Splendor is.

GK Punk
05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
i could see Don reading the "Dune" series

odupianist
05-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I see Don reading War and Peace, mainly cause he answered the question so quickly in the first movie. Plus Mikey wouldn't have the patience for it lol.

iris
05-31-2007, 10:33 AM
I see Don reading War and Peace, mainly cause he answered the question so quickly in the first movie. Plus Mikey wouldn't have the patience for it lol.
LOL... well, I knew the answer and I've never opened that book. It's a famous book. But I could see Donatello reading it simply because it's a great big fat book full of foreign words. Yum. :D

odupianist
05-31-2007, 03:18 PM
I could also see Don reading Orson Wells stuff and books of that sort, with advance science in it for that time period. You know, a book written in 1850 but told in 1990s lol, that kind of thing.

MoreCowbell5263
05-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Wasn't Orson Wells an actor? Do you mean George Orwell, author of Animal Farm and 1984? 1984 was written in like the 40's or 50's but took place in 1984.

odupianist
06-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Author of War of the Worlds. I remember the author and the name of the person who read it on the radio (who sent everyone in a small town in to chaos which led them to shoot a water tower, good times) are/were very similar so I may have it switched around.

iris
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
You're thinking of H.G. Wells. Orson Welles did that most righteous radio drama about it.

You're right, though, Don would love War of the Worlds. He'd probably be into Asimov too.

odupianist
06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Here's one for ya, who would read Kafka? I could see Don reading it but I think it could be too far out there even for him.

iris
06-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Raph. He'd read "The Metamorphosis." To Mikey. To give him nightmares. :lol:

Time Mistress
06-02-2007, 07:28 PM
I think Mike would be into some of the adventure and horror classics - King Arthur, Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, Dracula, Frankenstein, Edgar Allen Poe, Grimms' Fairy Tales. He and Leo would probably be into the same Japanese historical fiction. I also see him reading Dune and Asimov as well, probably Douglas Adams too, maybe even Pratchett.

Scandia
06-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Perhaps Raph would be the one reading Kafka. Especially "Metamorphosis". He would think it would be cool for a person to turn into a roach.

odupianist
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
person to turn into a roach.

Scumbug anyone? lol

Douglas Adams

Amazing author. Don and Mike for sure, and they'd understand easily. Although, Don might scoff at it. Raph might read it.