PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Petition Rough Draft

Slash
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I guess I didn't post it when I was at work yesterday - been traveling too much back and forth to check the boards after work, but here it is... The rough draft of the project I am so working on to get people to make Playmates finally listen to us!

We, the undersigned, are long time and avid fans of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise and are interested in having a line of action figures created for us, the fans. This line would incorporate characters from the various parts of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles continuities and reincarnations. For example, characters such as Ninjara, the Mutanimals, and Vid Vicious from the Archie Comics need to be made. Fans are also interested in canon Mirage characters such as Bloodsucker; the mutant leach, are in demand. We understand that people believe that the four turtles and Shredder are figures that sell; but that is to the average child and fan. The hardcore fans and the children would be interested in a Complete Carnage figure. A Chang Lao would sell due to the fact he is a ninja; children love ninjas.

Other characters, such as Tokka and Rahzar, from the movies would also be in demand with both collectors and fans. To determine what characters and versions would be wanted, Playmates.com or NinjaTurtles.com could host a poll where fans could vote monthly on what their favorite characters or versions they would love to see be made. Promotions could have various accessories packaged to appeal to everyone; teases from the Archie comics in little comic books, or a page from a Mirage issue featuring the packaged character, clips from the TV series or movie, or similar to the Marvel Legends’ Build-A-Figure. With this transitional period of where the 4Kids/2k3/FoxBox cartoon series going from Fast Forward to something more similar to the 2007 movie, this is a perfect time to consider where to go with the toy lines. Fast Forward characters that weren’t released could be the initial launch of the series; followed by the long anticipated “Johnny” the Purple Dragon, remakes of the classic figures; Mutagen Man, and such forth.

Characters from the old cartoon are high in demand off ebay. Burne Thompson and Vernon Fenwick are collector items; and so is Shoate; based of Mirage’s Chote character. The Mutanimals, from Archie Comics, are loved throughout the fandom. Please consider this suggestion.

Thank you for your time and cooperation,
Scott Barnes (Known to the TMNT fandom as “Slash”)

---
This is the rough draft. Anyone want to help work on it?

Original NTE Thread (http://www.ninjaturtlesempire.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1482#post1482)

I think we can pull it off. So, are you with me on this? :)

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Slash, I admire your passion-- I asked Steve Murphy the same thing without even having seen this. Here's what he said:

I'm more sorry to report that the Mirage Powers That Be do not want to ever re-start the Archie-based series, nor make action figures out of any of the secondary characters. I have pushed for this many a time, believe me. And I still fail to understand why Mirage refuses to do this, as it makes no business sense whatsoever. I'm left thinking this is more of a personal preference decision by someone.

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Slash, I admire your passion-- I asked Steve Murphy the same thing without even having seen this. Here's what he said:

I'm more sorry to report that the Mirage Powers That Be do not want to ever re-start the Archie-based series, nor make action figures out of any of the secondary characters. I have pushed for this many a time, believe me. And I still fail to understand why Mirage refuses to do this, as it makes no business sense whatsoever. I'm left thinking this is more of a personal preference decision by someone.
I can tell you it's Peter if Kevin had never left we wouldn't even have such a problem trying to get such a thing done. Kevin is much MUCH! more open minded about the past and other characters than Peter will ever be.
I'd love to see him prove me wrong though.
This is exactly the reason I've started working on my own line of toys I just miss the amazing characters we used to get in the 80's/90's tmnt toy line.

Slash
06-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I can tell you it's Peter if Kevin had never left we wouldn't even have such a problem trying to get such a thing done. Kevin is much MUCH! more open minded about the past and other characters than Peter will ever be.
I'd love to see him prove me wrong though.
This is exactly the reason I've started working on my own line of toys I just miss the amazing characters we used to get in the 80's/90's tmnt toy line.

I don't know; Transformer Generation One fans petitioned and got their faves back. I think Mirage and Playmates need to start being more fanbased oriented rather than doing what only they want. When the people that are putting out the product neglect to care about the people who like the product... atrocities come out that kill or weaken the fandom. Anyone remember Episode One of Star Wars? Jar Jar ruined Star Wars for me. Why? Because Lucas stopped caring about characters and plots that the fans like and started wanting to make a commercial of what his people can do on a computer.

I think Pete's biggest problem is that he doesn't want the TMNT to be remembered by how the Fredwolf/Archie early Playmates characters were. Come on, almost everyone who has heard of TMNT will always say, "Yeah! Krang and Shredder... Bebop and Rocksteady... they were the coolest villains ever!" And Pete dislikes them!

Oh, and another funny bit of questioning: If... Mirage didn't want to think that the Old Toon Characters and movie characters would be worth a single dime to us fans, why are the DVDs being sold? Obviously, Fred Wolf knows that the old toon is worthwhile!

We got to give it a chance. What's wrong with trying? And if you don't support this notion, you need not to reply. :)

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd say that he and mirage purists don't want the turtles to be rememberd as that and thats a fact jack!
I love everything about the turtles I can find a bit of good in each incarnation.
I don't think playmates should change what they're doing though.
What I think should happen as do many others including some people who work for Mirage is that they should do a line of exclusive figures for people like us the collectors who will buy these characters.
Of course they would be more expensive but I can tell you right now I wouldn't mind paying more for say an Armaggon or War figure or even Lord Dregg or Mung characters who should have gotten action figure treatment years ago and it's beyond me why they didn't.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
It's not about the money for Pete. He wants to forget about a lot of that old stuff, goofy mutants that took away from his original decision. It's a VERY poor marketing decision, but it IS his decision.

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
It's not about the money for Pete. He wants to forget about a lot of that old stuff, goofy mutants that took away from his original decision. It's a VERY poor marketing decision, but it IS his decision.
I didn't say it was about money but I'm not sure if you where talking to Slash or myself. Anyways I know why he doesnt do it and I agree with you.
I respect what Peter does mind you but I'm gonna say right now that I don't like it and in my mind he's killing what made tmnt so great in the first place and that was having many differnt tmnt universes.

Slash
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Unfortunately for Laird, CJJ, Pete must remember that if it was not for Fred Wolf and those goofy mutants being made, his TMNT franchise popularity would have been less than what it was during the 80's and today!

Those goofy mutants are what made the TMNT appealing to me. And aren't there goofy aliens in Fast Forward? The Battle Nexus realm? Even if we get them basically with those backgrounds, that is still cool...

And didn't I say Bloodsucker? Complete Carnage? Those are Mirage Canon... Laird has no reason to turn them away! :)

Leogeddon
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
i am 100% in on this one! I want those awesome toys brought back, new ones made, etc etc etc.

Slash
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
i am 100% in on this one! I want those awesome toys brought back, new ones made, etc etc etc.

Thanks Tony! :)

We gotta show Mirage that this is a good idea!

Hero
06-13-2007, 12:25 PM

Same here mate. You are onto a good thing here Slash.

===HERO

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately for Laird, CJJ, Pete must remember that if it was not for Fred Wolf and those goofy mutants being made, his TMNT franchise popularity would have been less than what it was during the 80's and today!

Those goofy mutants are what made the TMNT appealing to me. And aren't there goofy aliens in Fast Forward? The Battle Nexus realm? Even if we get them basically with those backgrounds, that is still cool...

And didn't I say Bloodsucker? Complete Carnage? Those are Mirage Canon... Laird has no reason to turn them away! :)
This is true it is what put tmnt on the map and I think thats exactly what he hates about it he doesn't want the tmnt to be rememberd as a goofy cartoon but I would say it's wrong to scrap the past all together in my opinion.
And the only reason I could see Laird not wanting those 2 characters is because he didn't create them and he doesnt consider the river storyline to be mirage cannon even if it should be.

Slash
06-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Hero. Despite the fact that it's a tough battle, it can be done and it will be done... Just need to rework the petition, plop it online, and mail it into Playmates and Mirage. :)

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks Hero. Despite the fact that it's a tough battle, it can be done and it will be done... Just need to rework the petition, plop it online, and mail it into Playmates and Mirage. :)
Don't be so quick to send it though without first listening to what everyone has to say. You're gonna need allot of sigs btw to make this happen but I'm sure you know this. It wouldn't hurt to get a few mirage artists in on this btw try e-mailing Michael Dooney.

Slash
06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Don't be so quick to send it though without first listening to what everyone has to say. You're gonna need allot of sigs btw to make this happen but I'm sure you know this. It wouldn't hurt to get a few mirage artists in on this btw try e-mailing Michael Dooney.

I'm meeting up with Eastman at a local comic convention. I'll see what he says.

Thanks for the advice.

lilraph
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
We've got to try. If playmates or whoever doesnt listen to the true fans out there than there's no hope for them. I still have playmates figures in7 seperate boxes from back nearly 15 years ago. I keep the new ones in packages in my kitchen. I would love a more autentic line of figures and i'm really not even into that stuff but i damn well will dump some money into it.

Slash
06-13-2007, 12:37 PM
We've got to try. If playmates or whoever doesnt listen to the true fans out there than there's no hope for them. I still have playmates figures in7 seperate boxes from back nearly 15 years ago. I keep the new ones in packages in my kitchen. I would love a more autentic line of figures and i'm really not even into that stuff but i damn well will dump some money into it.

Supermutant Bebop and Supermutant Rocksteady have became the prize winning pieces in my 2k3 style TMNT display - all my friends are convinced that they are brand new and want them. They also keep asking where Krang is... Ace the Duck... I show them old style figures and they are wondering when will we get a Krang.

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Supermutant Bebop and Supermutant Rocksteady have became the prize winning pieces in my 2k3 style TMNT display - all my friends are convinced that they are brand new and want them. They also keep asking where Krang is... Ace the Duck... I show them old style figures and they are wondering when will we get a Krang.
I think a new well sculpted krang figure would be very hard for us to get seeing as how most fans are now hell bent on everything being mirage land and nothing else existing. Peters against it also so thats another strike.
I mean people who aren't even regular tmnt fans would go Ape sh1t for something like the picture you showed me bellow. I mean if you don't think that sculpture is amazing you must be on crack or in serious denial.:o
http://sperone.free.fr/images/extraz/PICS25/krang.jpg

Andrew NDB
06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
That Krang scult is badass!

Strangely, though, it reminds me of a certain scene...

http://www.hypebeast.com/lemessie/upload/2006/09/total_recall.jpg

Quaaaaid!

Roseangelo
06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
(I swore to myself that I wasn't going to go off on one of these rants again, but I can't not respond to this.)

I asked Steve Murphy the same thing without even having seen this. Here's what he said:

Why is it that although this doesn't tell me anything that I didn't already know or assume, that it makes me absolutely livid/extremely pissed off?

With all respect to everyone who would like to see better toys made, Playmates would seem to be the least of our problems right now. Right now it is Mirage that opinions need to be expressed to. And when I say Mirage, I don't mean Dan or Murphy.

Peter may not be interested in making money, but I would think the people who work for him would probably be a lot more comfortable in their positions if the company at least attempted to turn a profit. So long as Peter's only vision is for a toneless Vol. 1 and the crap that is Vol. 4, there is no hope for anything. We. Are. Screwed.

And if we want any hope for the TMNT to live on as timeless characters as Spider-man and Superman always will, Mirage needs to make a profit. (And not just on licensing crap, because I'm sure they do make a decent chunk of change there.) What the hell happens to the TMNT when Peter gets tired of it all and wants to quit/retire? And I mean that in all seriousness, because no stretch of my imagination can come up with a scenario that involves the TMNT still being around. Unless Kevin can come in and save the day.

I like that the TMNT have a billion different incarnations/universes. Different takes on the characters is not only just fun, but allows me to pick one to indulge in based on my mood at the time. I don't get why Peter is slowly erasing all of them. I'm surprised he even approved the "Retro" line of t-shirts (which you see way more of than any other type of t-shirt).

Allowing for different incarnations doesn't have to exclude a definitive vision from exisiting. And frankly, if Peter can allow for the cartoon to turn into Fast Forward, it's beyond hypocritical for him to not allow for the continuation of the Archie universe. No wonder Playmates gives us nothing more than crap Turtle variants; they've literally got nothing else to go on.

And to keep myself from rambling on and on about this forever (because I could) and to keep from sounding like a broken record (because I've said all of this before), I pretty much summed up how I feel here (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=19653&highlight=marketing). Probably a dozen other threads, too, but that one should cover all the main ideas.

Now I need to go decompress...

NoPressApril
06-13-2007, 08:13 PM
That Krang is the most beautiful (and creepy) thing i've ever seen!!! Is that a custom? Cause if so the person that sculpted that wins the best custom ever award. Steven

Roseangelo
06-13-2007, 08:17 PM
That Krang is the most beautiful (and creepy) thing i've ever seen!!! Is that a custom? Cause if so the person that sculpted that wins the best custom ever award. Steven

Actually, that Krang is a CGI rendering... and it's by a Drome member who posted it somewhere here awhile ago. I forget who it was, though. But I totally agree that it's 100% kickass.

NoPressApril
06-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh okay. thanks. :D

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Actually, that Krang is a CGI rendering... and it's by a Drome member who posted it somewhere here awhile ago. I forget who it was, though. But I totally agree that it's 100% kickass.
Well, holy crap I must be loosing it then because that thing looks hella real to me.
Wait rose I'm looking at it again do you mean a Photoshop composite and not a CGI render because allot of the elements of this images look like actual real things and I've yet to see any CGI look that real in a movie...let alone in one image.
I mean color me baffled if it is and why this guy isn't rich! lol
and aww btw you rant about him all you like *pats you on the head* hehe:D

Roseangelo
06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
My understanding, from when the guy posted it, was that it was a complete CGI rendering; no Photoshop. Most awesome.

NoPressApril
06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
So we can't have a 20th anniversary line because of Peter Laird??? Forgive my ignorance I don't know much about him other than an email I sent to him asking him if I could mail a figure to him and get it autographed which he never responded to. Steven

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 08:30 PM
My understanding, from when the guy posted it, was that it was a complete CGI rendering; no Photoshop. Most awesome.
Yeah that guy needs to be making movies then because he's the most talented cgi master I've seen in my life cause that thing has taxidermy eyes, and the best texturing I've ever seen, and the shadows are hands down amazing. I mean I'm not trying to be cocky about it I'm actually baffled and a bit in disbelief over it.
So we can't have a 20th anniversary line because of Peter Laird??? Forgive my ignorance I don't know much about him other than an email I sent to him asking him if I could mail a figure to him and get it autographed which he never responded to. Steven
Well, he doesn't much care for the old Toon he refuses to use any of the characters but does own them he's made it clear.
He also apparently dislikes the Archie comics series that took the old Toon world above and beyond what it started out as and in fact in my opinion is better and more stable than what most of Mirage has accomplished at this point with the number of years it's had.

NoPressApril
06-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Hasbro's smart enough to take advantage of the kids who grew up with Joes and are now old enough to buy their old toys back, new and improved. Not to mention the new "vintage" Star Wars figures that capitalize on those kiddies of the late 70's and early 80's. Mattel is making a killing with their reproduction vintage Barbies. Why wouldn't Peter Laird wanna make money on us 80's chirren?

Andrew NDB
06-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll admit, it's a little odd Murphy saying that about the no-interest in continuing the Archie universe... I mean, aren't they doing just that this year with the "Forever War"?

Roseangelo
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Hasbro's smart enough to take advantage of the kids who grew up with Joes and are now old enough to buy their old toys back, new and improved. Not to mention the new "vintage" Star Wars figures that capitalize on those kiddies of the late 70's and early 80's. Mattel is making a killing with their reproduction vintage Barbies. Why wouldn't Peter Laird wanna make money on us 80's chirren?

Hasbro gets some credit, but it's George Lucas and Lucasfilm who are smart enough to know that it's ok to be goofy. Darth Tater is as ridiculous as he is awesome, and sales were phenomenal.

Some people seem to like to compare George Lucas to Peter Laird in terms of the, "I'll do what I want no matter what anyone else thinks," attitude, but I would have to say they are absolutely nothing alike. People didn't like Jar Jar; guess what, minimal Jar Jar in episodes 2 & 3! There's an unofficial Star Wars fan costuming group called the 501st - Last year Hasbro's exclusive SW figure at Comic-Con was a 501st Stormtrooper. And Lucasfilm often uses 501st members for official SW functions. And when George was named Grand Marshall for the 2007 Rose Parade, he flew 200 501st members from around the world to CA to BE IN THE PARADE. A year (or two) ago, the founder of the 501st's daughter died of brain cancer - This year one of the exclusive Comic-Con action figures from Hasbro is a pink-colored droid IN HONOR OF HER, along with a $100,000 donation to the Make A Wish foundation being made in her honor by both Hasbro and Lucasfilm. Oh, and this Sunday Robot Chicken is devoted to poking fun at Star Wars for their entire show, and all of it has been approved by Lucasfilm.

Yeah, Lucasfilm is a billion times larger than Mirage, but at least they can have a laugh while offering incredible fan relations/service.

I'll admit, it's a little odd Murphy saying that about the no-interest in continuing the Archie universe... I mean, aren't they doing just that this year with the "Forever War"?

No, I'd say they're just concluding the Archie universe with a series that was planned and supposed to be finished but never was. Publishing this is pretty much the best thing Mirage has offered in terms of fan service.

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
No, I'd say they're just concluding the Archie universe with a series that was planned and supposed to be finished but never was. Publishing this is pretty much the best thing Mirage has offered in terms of fan service.
Yeah and we've yet to see it and I'm starting to have my doubts if we ever will.

Andrew NDB
06-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah and we've yet to see it and I'm starting to have my doubts if we ever will.

According to Dan they're in the middle of artwork of it.

VaughnMichael
06-13-2007, 09:34 PM
According to Dan they're in the middle of artwork of it.
http://www.whatlarks.com/rio_yeti/orlly_owl.jpg

NoPressApril
06-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Rose, have you ever told Peter what you think?

Roseangelo
06-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Rose, have you ever told Peter what you think?

On all of this recent ranting.. no. I was *this* close to sending a letter a month or two ago, but eventually held off. I do plan on it, though. Right now I'm waiting for a few things to play out before I do.

Although I write what I write here knowing there's a very good chance that he's reading it anyways.

NoPressApril
06-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I asked you that, he probably reads this board. I wish that we could petition for a 20th anniversary line but I guess Playmates can't make what Peter won't let them. All of this time i've thought that this was a Playmates issue but I could never understand why. Their generally an awesome toy company who did wonders with Trek and The Simpsons so I couldn't understand why they seem to be struggling with this new TMNT line. Now I understand. It's Peter Laird. I know that he and Kevin created this dark adult comic where the turtles all wore red bandanas (I know nothing about the comics, comics never did anything for me) and he must be so upset that it was so successful in a completely different manner. He's bitter? So he in turn punishes the children that made him wealthy by not wanting to embrace the childish notion of the original line and cash in on what is now pop culture. Right?

Slash
06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I asked you that, he probably reads this board. I wish that we could petition for a 20th anniversary line but I guess Playmates can't make what Peter won't let them. All of this time i've thought that this was a Playmates issue but I could never understand why. Their generally an awesome toy company who did wonders with Trek and The Simpsons so I couldn't understand why they seem to be struggling with this new TMNT line. Now I understand. It's Peter Laird. I know that he and Kevin created this dark adult comic where the turtles all wore red bandanas (I know nothing about the comics, comics never did anything for me) and he must be so upset that it was so successful in a completely different manner. He's bitter? So he in turn punishes the children that made him wealthy by not wanting to embrace the childish notion of the original line and cash in on what is now pop culture. Right?

You nailed it right there. Seriously, that's it. And Kevin, on the other hand, indulged both sides of it. The messed up thing is... if you look at the archives on PlanetRacers... Pete has toy ideas like a football playing cyborg pitbull and a mutant snail for the old cartoon line. I understand his hating on Venus - it's not right to add to the family when it takes away from their uniqueness.

And perhaps, Rose... if we want this to go through... we can have the line start off Mirage and 2k3 characters; like Complete Carnage, Mortu, Garbage Man, etc. Once Playmates sees how the fans are reacting and start demanding the old toon and Archie figures... they might be the pressure that Laird needs.

And if anyone from Mirage reads this, I love you guys but I want this to work. You guys were cool to meet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/onelastbroadcast/JimLawson.jpg

But that would make a bitching Slash figure... So whadya say?

gobo
06-14-2007, 12:04 AM
For the record, I'd quickly buy an Armaggon figure. And, I haven't owned an action figure for over 10 years!
Found it! ^_^ I knew I saw this before... 3d Krang (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=14444)

Roseangelo
06-14-2007, 12:15 AM
For the record, I'd quickly buy an Armaggon figure. And, I haven't owned an action figure for over 10 years!

I would be willing to step on little children to rush to the toy aisle to buy an Armaggon figure.

And ironically, Armaggon was created by Peter Laird.

Found it! ^_^ I knew I saw this before... 3d Krang (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=14444)

Score! Good find! I tried searching for it, but failed.

And perhaps, Rose... if we want this to go through... we can have the line start off Mirage and 2k3 characters; like Complete Carnage, Mortu, Garbage Man, etc. Once Playmates sees how the fans are reacting and start demanding the old toon and Archie figures... they might be the pressure that Laird needs.

It's like I said in the other thread.. I think Mirage-based Turtle figures would be the best bet. And I would drool over Movie 1 figures. But I'd hold off on the secondary characters to start. The general public isn't going to buy any of those characters because they won't know who the hell they are. And if you do start going with secondary characters, it would really help if the source material those characters were featured in was actually in print and available to buy by the general public, so that they could actually know who they are.

VaughnMichael
06-14-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm still saying that guy had to atleast use some kind of realistic texturing for that I doesn't look like something you could just pull from nothing.
Thats seriously amazing.
And um on the Jim Lawson Slash design...I'm gona have to say a big um no!:lol:

BigApple3AM
06-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately I think Playmates uses the statue sales as a benchmark for how many collectors are out there. The unfortuante part is that those statues are $125 each, and most collectors at the time of Leo's release were in their teens or early 20's. They didn't even release raph or don through previews so I never got a chance to buy them. I can't remember but did the statues start for the 20th anniversary?

When I'm bored at work I like to day dream what movie 1 tmnt figures will look like. If they were done by a company like mezco they could be insanely awesome (look at their hellboy figures, movie and comic accurate lines).

Now this year it's the cartoon's 20th, and I'm not expecting anything other than dvd sets. Not that there's anything wrong with that since I've been waiting for dvd sets for a long time, though the packaging still sucks.

Maybe us fans should do something for the 20th anniversary. Fan comic? Custom toy contest?

Heck I'd even go for playmates reissuing the gold leo (and the other turtles in gold) and slap on a 20th anniversary instead of 5th. Same packaging and everything. That would be cool.

Roseangelo
06-14-2007, 03:19 PM
The statues are certainly an interesting situation. The first one, Leo, came out when the TMNT were just beginning to resurface in the eyes of the public, and I want to say that it was well-received and that it sold relatively well. It also got the most advertising of the four (that I saw).

I think the original plan was for the four to come out quarterly and I think Mike was released on schedule compared to Leo's release. But then I think it was another year until Raph was released and a year after that that Don was released. And as noted, the last two weren't distributed by Diamond (which basically equals no advertising); as far as I can tell, Mirage was the ONLY place that these were actually available for sale (does anyone know otherwise?).

But I don't see how the sales (or lack of sales) numbers of these can at all be indicative of the collector market. They are high-end items, which throws them into a completely different category to start with (a lot of people who did have interest in them simply couldn't afford them). And I think a lot of people who would have been interested in these statues didn't even know they existed until they were sold out (as I would suggest the going eBay prices - generally between $200 and $300 - for Don and Raph indicate).

Part of the problem might have simply been that Playmates does not deal in high-end collectibles. I would be willing to guess that if they had set up a distribution deal for the statues through a company that does specialize in high-end collectibles, such as Gentle Giant or Sideshow Collectibles, that the production run for each Turtle could have been maxed out and sold out at 2,000 pieces (which I think was the run for Leo and Mike, whereas Don and Raph were considerably lower).

I hope that Playmates (given proper permissions from Mirage) would be willing to expand the action figures beyond just the current TV series and the movie, to target a market other than 7 year-old boys.

BigApple3AM
06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
That's what I'm saying, the TMNT statues didn't do so hot for Playmates so they think that there's no collector demand. Which is ridiculous considering the price of those guys. I got Leo as a present and saved up for Mike. Raph was actually solicited and cancelled in diamond. I'm sure somewhere there is a warehouse full of Raphs and Dons.

Leo got some advertising in the TMNT comics (what little good that does). I know Mikey was available through target's website for a while. Otherwise I agree, it was really odd to see playmates making those statues. I wouldn't think they'd be interested in that sort of stuff. Sideshow would have been a perfect venue, and I'm not sure but I think diamond sells sideshow's products so raph and don could have made it to comic stores like leo and mike did.

Not to mention the tv show/mirage hybrid raph bust was completely canned.

Playmates should just stick to action figures. It's funny that they did a gold leo and a tmnt target exclusive 4 pack for collectors back in the early 90's, but now when there actually is a collector market they don't do jack.

Roseangelo
06-14-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that the reason Playmates made the statues, instead of a different company, is that Playmates' license covers all 3D figural TMNT representations. But a company like Sideshow could still have done distribution, like they do with the Medicom figures and now with the Tonner dolls (and several other lines). And yes, they do distribute through Diamond as well as through their website, so the statues would have been available through a couple different avenues.

prophecy718
06-16-2007, 04:48 PM
first post (outside of the introductions)

we shouldn't give up on the petition

if lots of people sent e-mails, we can be succesful

ZariusTwo
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't be flipping ludicrous. Petitions don't work.

VaughnMichael
06-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't be flipping ludicrous. Petitions don't work.Well not with attitudes like that. There have been plenty that have done justice it doesn't hurt anything doing them.
And the only thing you can lose from it is time.

jenna
06-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I think a new well sculpted krang figure would be very hard for us to get seeing as how most fans are now hell bent on everything being mirage land and nothing else existing. Peters against it also so thats another strike.
I mean people who aren't even regular tmnt fans would go Ape sh1t for something like the picture you showed me bellow. I mean if you don't think that sculpture is amazing you must be on crack or in serious denial.:o
http://sperone.free.fr/images/extraz/PICS25/krang.jpg

:o :o :o

I know you have all said it already, but oh my holy cr*p! That is amazing. And very scary. But amazing!

mattmanw54301
07-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I think for an example you should use the Masters of the Universe Staction Figures. Those things sell like hotcakes!!! They are already up to wave 6 of them!!!! This, too, could be a success in the collector market.

Also, I am hoping that some of most of these characters will be addressed in the upcoming anniversary line. They dropped some big hints that the classic toon will be getting new toys, so maybe we can all get what we want!!!!

NoPressApril
07-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Also, I am hoping that some of most of these characters will be addressed in the upcoming anniversary line. They dropped some big hints that the classic toon will be getting new toys, so maybe we can all get what we want!!!!

This is news to me, anyone wanna fill me in? They have confirmed an anniversary line? Classic toons getting toys???

mattmanw54301
07-21-2007, 07:33 PM
This is news to me, anyone wanna fill me in? They have confirmed an anniversary line? Classic toons getting toys???

They said 'huge retro merchandising' campaign. And that would be totally stupid if they didn't include toys. Playmates prolly still has never made as much $ as from the old TMNT. Add in the nostalgia factor, and...well, they haven't confirmed it. But I have faith.

ToTheNines
07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
We'll be very lucky if we get anything more than a bunch of OT shirts winding up in Hot Topic for 20 friggin dollars.

Vegita-San
07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
:o :o :o

I know you have all said it already, but oh my holy cr*p! That is amazing. And very scary. But amazing!

Now where did that come from, does it cost under $100, and how can I get an android version? :)

THIS is what Playmates can be doing, but their too lazy ass a company to do anything but variants..

VaughnMichael
07-21-2007, 09:38 PM
We'll be very lucky if we get anything more than a bunch of OT shirts winding up in Hot Topic for 20 friggin dollars.
Don't shoot things down before they happen.
You have to stay positive if you want good things to happen..
And thats all I'm gonna say on the matter. ;)

ToTheNines
07-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Meh, I really do want toys, an OT soundtrack, shirts available at reasonable stores, plushies, turtle snacks, mabey video game re-releases for GBA. I'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Drtooth
07-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Don't be flipping ludicrous. Petitions don't work.

Yeah... we certainly didn't get Fraggle Rock on DVD....

But yeah, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.. but trying at least holds up some more hope than just sitting with your hands in your pockets and complaining all the time. Someone told me that a long time ago.

At least this way we'll be rejected in person.

I just don't understand why old school toys wouldn't be profitable in this toy collector market. Sure, they aren't overpriced overhyped vynal toys (though i LOVE the gary baseman ones) but I mean, I hear SOOOOO much complaining about how Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang aren't in the new series and such. I would LOVE to see resculpted versions of them. A toy line based off the old show where they actually LOOK like the cartoon, but don't have goofy non-sequitor action features.

VaughnMichael
07-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Meh, I really do want toys, an OT soundtrack, shirts available at reasonable stores, plushies, turtle snacks, mabey video game re-releases for GBA. I'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
Well allot of us do want toys ;)
Ok and you're ragging on hot topics prices for shirts is silly in my opinion the reason their prices are higher just like any store in the place it subsides in is because it's in a mall...it's not just them.
They also have sales allot and I've got plenty of tmnt shirts there on sale for as low as 5.99 much lower than even what bullies like wal-mart and target charge for their merch.
Yep being negative when some one like Murphys busting his @ss to get things done really is the best way to show the man your aprication.