PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit found dead

That Matt Guy
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
According to wwe.com, Chris Benoit and his family were found dead today at their home.

I'm really sitting here in complete shock.

Peanut
06-25-2007, 05:43 PM
WHAT THE ****!?! What the hell is going on!? Are there any details at all!?

OA
06-25-2007, 05:57 PM
UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE...

i tried to find some info but only found a very short blurb on site saying that he and his family were all found dead today...terrible, terrible news....

ThirdMarioBro
06-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Jesus Christ. What the hell is happening lately?

Jamboree
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Ah, someone beat me to making this topic. But seriously, it's horrible. I still can't believe this.

KROW
06-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I just heard about this recently. I am in utter shock. My only reaction was, "What...?" And to learn his family was also found dead... Horrible. Wrestling lost another diamond.

Dr. Doom
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
This is why Vince's angle was such a horrible idea. I guess this is learning their lesson the hard way, at least maybe they learned something from these horrible circumstances.

GK Punk
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I can't believe this. I dont know what to say.

Raph's Girl
06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.twnpnews.com/messages/17644.shtml

Yea... it's all over the news now. Rumour has it it was a gas leak. Damn....his son was only 7! :( No more rabid Wolverine. Benoit was one of my faves too! :cry:

I heard they made Raw a tribute to Chris Benoit (it was originally gonna be a Vince tribute) and Vince even appeared. It's not on for a couple hours here yet.

His wife was a WCW/ECW wrestler.

OA
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
gas leak?! Man, how freak accident is that...

At least, it doesnt seem to be another crazy murder/suicide situation...

GK Punk
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
She was a manager by the name of Woman. She managed Sandman, And Kevin Sullivan. She was actually married to Kevin Sullivan, untill a story was started where he stole Sullivan's wife. They ended up getting married.

Me and my older Brother are two of the largest Chris Benoit fans you'll ever meet. We've been following him since ECW.

TheGreenMagic
06-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I honestly don't know what to say. This is just horrible news.

KROW
06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
A gas leak? Oh, man...

I put a link to a video in my remembrance banner in my signature if anyone cares to watch it.

Katie
06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
What a tragedy :cry:

May he and his family rest in peace

KROW
06-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Here's a little more information on the situation. (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/06/25/0625benoit.html)

Strangely, this site (http://www.cbs46.com/sports/13568106/detail.html) uses different words like "homocide" and "slain" and also states that they were found at 2:30pm as opposed to 4pm.

In any event, my sincerest condolences to his two surviving children. :(

Katie
06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
*shakes head*

Life is so random. you really never know what the day will bring you.

OA
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Here's a little more information on the situation. (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/06/25/0625benoit.html)

Strangely, this site (http://www.cbs46.com/sports/13568106/detail.html) uses different words like "homocide" and "slain" and also states that they were found at 2:30pm as opposed to 4pm.

In any event, my sincerest condolences to his two surviving children. :(

Aw man...guess I may have spoke too soon then..

Jo Dawn
06-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Me and my older Brother are two of the largest Chris Benoit fans you'll ever meet. We've been following him since ECW.

My brother is right with ya. RP'ed as him for years, too. Sadly, they were finally coming to our part of the country for the first time ever; bro had tickets to see him. It's in a week or something.

Very, very sad. What a shame. Though I'll be honest; as soon as my brother told me and I asked if it was violent and he said no?

First reaction: Carbon monoxide. Second reaction, some other gas leak. Shame, as that kinda could have been avoided.

But really, really sad. I liked him. My prayers and condolences to his family, friends and fans. It's a damn shame.

Raph's Girl
06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Im hoping that he wasn't slain cuz that would be too much...especially with a little boy involved.

However I was told this. "ALL deaths are initially treated as a homicide until cause of death is found, once they rule it as accidental or by natural causes, its done."

GK Punk
06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
My brother is right with ya. RP'ed as him for years, too. Sadly, they were finally coming to our part of the country for the first time ever; bro had tickets to see him. It's in a week or something.

Yeah, I got to see him live on my birthday a few years ago. He teamed with Chris Jericho. It was a double geekgasm for me.

Peanut
06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been lucky enough to see Benoit on a couple occasions. Including at WCW Mayhem 99, where I got to witness him in not one, but two matches, including the classic against Bret Hart for the WCW Title in the main event. He was walking around the ring before the show started, so the few of us in the sky boxes were screaming out to him, he ended up coming up and signing a bunch of stuff for everyone.

Man...this really f*cking sucks...

KROW
06-25-2007, 07:55 PM
However I was told this. "ALL deaths are initially treated as a homicide until cause of death is found, once they rule it as accidental or by natural causes, its done."
Yes, that's true. I was going to say that police deem it as such initially before investigating further, but you beat me to the punch. ;)

Raven
06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
This is terrible, I just dont know what to say. :cry:

My prays go out to there family, I hope there doing alright.

Mike Bock
06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
This was shocking, I can't beleive he is gone.:cry:
This is just awful. He was a great wrestler one of my favorites.
What's happening lately ? :-?

The Stryker
06-25-2007, 09:09 PM
God dammit.

Really Really sad, I've lost both of my favorite wrestlers in a matter of 2 years.

KROW
06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
What's happening lately ? :-?
I know... Bam Bam, Sherri, and now Benoit and his family; all in the course of six months. It's so tragic...

Raph's Girl
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Just read that autopsy results on the causes of death for Chris, Nancy, and Daniel will be announced tomarrow (Tuesday). But ATM even the wwe site is saying murder-suicide. :ohwell:

Peanut
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Yep. Double-murder suicide. Holy f*ck. WWE.com has it on there, straight up.

KROW
06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I just went there and... am even more shocked. How? And why?

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Check out this report from yahoo, which was just posted:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.
ADVERTISEMENT

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbor called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.

Raph's Girl
06-25-2007, 10:02 PM
The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbor called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.

Also found here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-25-chris-benoit_N.htm?csp=34

But holy frak. How could a man just simply kill his 7 year old son?! That's just insane! Im just glad his 2 other kids weren't there! :o

Cure
06-25-2007, 10:08 PM
I stopped watching when WWE split into Raw and Smackdown, but I remember Chris Benoit fondly. I liked him along with X-Pac the most.....

This seems like something straight outta movie. I guess the man wasn't as mentally strong as he was physically.......:cry:

Storm Wolf
06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Check out this report from yahoo, which was just posted:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.
ADVERTISEMENT

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

All I can say is....WOW. I'm in utter shock and disbelief about the whole ordeal. What could have lead to such a tragedy? I never would have thought Benoit to be the type of guy to pull that off. I sincerely hope it's not true that he killed his family like that.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
I hope that isnt the cause either, but still its a tragic story nonetheless.

We will probably know more tomorrow after the autopsy results.

Mr._Mutant_Man
06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
I really hope this isn't true either.:(

Mike Bock
06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I can't think of Benoit as a killer this is just so hard to swallow.:( I hope this clears out.

I can't wait to read the news about them tomorrow.

Sonic x 20
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
I hope that it's not true as well man. Chris Benoit is not the type that kills. He's respected by alot of people very much and he loved his family very much as well. He was also one of my favorite wrestlers and one of the greatest as well to step into the WWE ring. We'll see what info occurs next about this case on the news.

jeff the cheff
06-25-2007, 11:11 PM
How do you know what type of person he is if you know him from his act?

Isn't that like saying Steve Martin would never kill somebody because in Cheaper by the Dozen he was super cool to the kids and seemed really nice?

Revan
06-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh my goodness. That is horrible. This man was one of my idols growing up.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2007, 11:20 PM
One of the great moments in wrestling:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/RRWilliams/WWF%202001/Eddie_Benoit-Champions.jpg

however its sad bc now both of these stars are gone.

That Matt Guy
06-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Yeah, no telling what kind of a person he was behind closed doors.

Raph's Girl
06-25-2007, 11:27 PM
From what Steph. Chavo, and Edge said he was a good guy behind the scenes and loved his family, loved all kids, very much. He was very well respected in and outside of the ring. Im watching the Raw tribute right now and even the commentators said how good a dad he was and how well behaved his kids are.

So I don't believe for one second that he killed his wife and son. But apperantly a weopon of some sort was discovered in the house. :ohwell:

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2007, 11:31 PM
No matter the cause of death, who did it, etc. it is still a tragic and sad story. To see both adults, and especially their young child dead is something horrible beyond imagination.

Krang
06-26-2007, 01:04 AM
This is very shocking and tragic news. :( I was a big fan of Benoit, and it's hard to believe that something like this happened...

ThirdMarioBro
06-26-2007, 01:36 AM
I just can't see that man killing his family. I know enough to know that. This really has been the summer from hell thus far. Just horrible. :(

VaughnMichael
06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
I really cant believe this is true but it is Chris was so awsome I'm so shocked. :(

Raph's Girl
06-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Current news:c/o CNN:

Every indication is that this is a murder-suicide," District Attorney Scott Ballard told The Citizen, adding that he was confident in his belief that Benoit killed his wife, then his son, then himself. Reports have been made that the bodies were found in three separate rooms, and that no gun was involved. Ballard declined to release the cause of death, but said that earlier news reports that the Benoits died of gunshots were false.

Pope said "the instruments of death were located on scene," but would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

Apperantly WWE and Benoit's friends/family got some strange text messages from Benoit and they in turn called the cops to go to the house. I wonder what those messages were?

They're still not saying how they died but Chris was apperantly found in the weight room.

So as far as they're conserned he did it. :ohwell:

KROW
06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
As disappointing as it seems, I still refuse to believe that Benoit would be capable of doing something so intensely violent and horrifying. If it indeed comes out to be true, I will be utterly heartbroken and feel almost betrayed, having spent my impressionable teen years watching him in and out of the ring.

jeff the cheff
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Wasn't his job to...hurt people in the ring? Not saying that makes you a violent person in real life, I'm sure most of them aren't. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem too surprising to me, although I know it must be hard to believe your idol would do something like that.

ZariusTwo
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
So there's my big advice. Separate Chris Benoit - The Person from Chris Benoit -The Wrestler and enjoy the old DVDs of his matches. Case solved.

Now, once you figure out how to do that, let me know.

Wrestlingisanity.com

Could'nt have put it better myself. Ignore how it ended people, remember only how he lived his life.

JetsAndHeels
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Here is an interesting tidbit that someone posted on the Jets board I frequent...remember this is not fact, just something they posted..I don't really believe it but I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys thought:

"My sister just got off the phone with someone from that area who's relative is a cop. and we got a whole differnt story.. Benoit flew home sunday night for a family emergency. His wife killed his 7 year old son. smothered him with a trashbag. when chris found out when he got home he then strangled his wife with a phone cord and killed himself.

now I can beleive that. I really do beleive he loved his son and wouldn't harm him at all. and would kill his wife for killing his son.

RIP Benoit family."

Raph's Girl
06-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Just announced on CNN:

Chris Benoit hanged himself after smothering his son and strangling his wife. They're blaming him for the whole thing. :ohwell:

JetsAndHeels
06-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Just announced on CNN:

Chris Benoit hanged himself after smothering his son and strangling his wife. They're blaming him for the whole thing. :ohwell:

Yeah, I saw that..here is the article:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press Tuesday.
The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said test results may not be back for weeks or even months.

Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in DeKalb County.

The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three separate rooms of the house, off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return calls seeking comment. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

Authorities also declined to say whether drugs or steroids were found inside the house. "We're not releasing any information as far as what was located inside the house," sheriff's Sgt. Keith Whiteside said Tuesday.

Asked about the condition of the interior of the house, Whiteside said investigators found "nothing really out of the ordinary." He said Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and the son in an upstairs bedroom.

Whiteside said toxicology tests could take up to a week or longer to complete.

HalfcourtGame
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
This is a tragic story, but I don't know how people can "refuse to believe" Benoit is the guilty party. He doesn't show up to work on Sunday due to a "family emergency" and he and his family are found dead the next day; all signs point to murder/suicide. A terrible tragedy but let's not fool ourselves here.

MadPirateBunny
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
all I can really say is holy-frickin-crap.

I wonder how they're going to handle the whole who-done-Vince-in thing with this hanging over them now.

Raph's Girl
06-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Oi vei they just said on CNN: In 2003 Nancy Benoit filed for divorce and a restraining order on Chris, fearing for her life. He appearantly threatened her. But she changed her mind.....Oi...

Apperantly the chain of events is:

Saturday: Strangled his wife in her office
Sunday: Smothered his son in his bedroom
Monday: Hanged himself in his weight room

More will come out in a couple min during the news conference. :o

KROW
06-26-2007, 01:18 PM
This is a tragic story, but I don't know how people can "refuse to believe" Benoit is the guilty party. He doesn't show up to work on Sunday due to a "family emergency" and he and his family are found dead the next day; all signs point to murder/suicide. A terrible tragedy but let's not fool ourselves here.
I refuse to believe it because I want finality and definite evidence before I pass judgment on anything. I don't jump to conclusions regardless of police speculation. For the record, I'm not a blind fan of Benoit and rest in denial no matter what the truth brings. Like I said, if it comes to be true that he indeed was responsible for this, then I would be crushed.

With that said, and with everything that has transpired and brought to light, I am very saddened and disheartened by this chain of events. I'm grief-stricken that something like this could happen and even be caused by a man like Chris Benoit. But, like all of us, he was human and most likely had a very difficult time struggling with his personal life. I still respect him as a performer and a wrestler, though the esteem I held toward the man has dropped dramatically.

I am frozen in disbelief over this whole thing; not wanting to believe it but unable to deny the facts.

I sincerely hope his friends, his family, and his fans can forgive him for his rash actions.

OA
06-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Well, via live news conference right now it has officially been ruled a double homocide/suicide....

That Matt Guy
06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
All I can say is a great legacy and career has been ruined. He was an excellent wrestler and performer, but I guess not everything was as it appeared to be in his personal life.

OA
06-26-2007, 01:30 PM
And another interesting tidbit from the conference...

Apparently, all of the bodies had Bibles lying next to them...

Raph's Girl
06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Ok...here's what the press conference revealed

Nancy Benoit's feet and hands were tied together and she was wrapped in a towel and there were signs of a struggle. Died possably Friday

Daniel's body was found in his bed. Died possably Saturday

Chris died in the basement in his weight room. The chord on his weights killed him.

A bible was placed next to the bodies of his wife and son.

Prescription steroids were found.

VaughnMichael
06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
And another interesting tidbit from the conference...

Apparently, all of the bodies had Bibles lying next to them...
it was the under taker and paul bearer..sorry to joke but I must admit thats the first thing that came to mind...this is all really creepy.

Mr. Snackpants
06-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Isn't that like saying Steve Martin would never kill somebody because in Cheaper by the Dozen he was super cool to the kids and seemed really nice?

Wasn't his job to...hurt people in the ring? Not saying that makes you a violent person in real life, I'm sure most of them aren't. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem too surprising to me, although I know it must be hard to believe your idol would do something like that.

Exactly my thoughts.

How does anyone who doesn't know him know what he is really like? You can tell what a person is like by interviews or how his character acts. This really doesn't shock me at all. He was a huge wrestler on steroids. His job was pain. I'm sure a lot of wrestlers are aggressive in their normal lives. He must have just snapped, due to what nobody knows. This is just sickening, not shocking.

On a side note....I was watching the news last night. They were reporting on this story and said, "Benoit was a well known and beloved wrestler. He was been wrestling since xxxx and was a 2 time WWE champion." Now, why say he was a "2 time WWE champion"? Are they reporting the death of Chris Benoit the wrestling character or Chris Benoit the human being? I mean, are f'ing joking me!?!?!

Revan
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Ok...here's what the press conference revealed

Nancy Benoit's feet and hands were tied together and she was wrapped in a towel and there were signs of a struggle. Died possably Friday

Daniel's body was found in his bed. Died possably Saturday

Chris died in the basement in his weight room. The chord on his weights killed him.

A bible was placed next to the bodies of his wife and son.

Prescription steroids were found.
Wow I can't believe this. I trust me father with my life and I love him very much. I can't even imagine... What a horrific event

KROW
06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Chris Benoit's job wasn't to inflict pain on anybody. When Joanie Laurer, a.k.a. Chyna, wrote her book on wrestling in the WWE, she stated that during her match with Benoit, she was put in his Crippler Crossface and said that he was so gentle and that it didn't hurt at all.

People, it's called sports entertainment because 90% of what they do is acting. When someone is writhing in agony on the mat or the floor, odds are that they're acting like they're hurt. On the rare occasion that a wrestler gets injured, it's usually due to a freak accident or a misstep. Benoit himself broke his neck in a match by landing wrong during a maneuver. Meanwhile, the opponent he did the move to seemed to have landed harder and got up whereas Benoit was hospitalized and needed surgery. Triple H needed knee surgery twice over because he strained his own leg muscles. Kurt Angle received concussion after concussion because he refused to get treated. More often than not, these guys are a danger to themselves and not their opponents.

Pro wrestlers (most of them) train and buff up not just to look pretty, but having a thick physique helps take the bumps and bangs that are guaranteed to be received during their careers. As for the steroid use, I'm not sure why Benoit would be taking them other than muscle mass. But, they were prescribed to him, so they were not illegal.

Also, the amount of wrestlers that are aggressive in their personal lives is far outweighed by the ones who aren't. The difference is damn near insurmountable. I go to events on occasion and sometimes get the rare chance of meeting a few of the performers. Some of them want to be left alone and ignore the crowds right off, others exchange casual banter, and then there's some who take the time to to meet and greet. Of course, this is how they display themselves to the paying audience and not their families, but when you experience an encounter like that, you become convinced that the person is nice to everyone and wouldn't hurt a fly... unless you're too cynical.

Jo Dawn
06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I dunno. Something's off here; doesn't make sense. Not that any of it has to make sense. To kill her Friday and the kid Saturday... where WAS the kid for that one whole day?

Our news here has been touting this as a 'bizarre, out of the ordinary' cause of death, to which I thought of as something unseen before. So I kinda feel like we're missing something here... Especially with the time lapses between deaths. That has me intrigued. You mean not ONE PERSON queried as to their whereabouts for two days? I don't buy that, sorry.

There's more to this than is being told.

VaughnMichael
06-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I dunno. Something's off here; doesn't make sense. Not that any of it has to make sense. To kill her Friday and the kid Saturday... where WAS the kid for that one whole day?

Our news here has been touting this as a 'bizarre, out of the ordinary' cause of death, to which I thought of as something unseen before. So I kinda feel like we're missing something here... Especially with the time lapses between deaths. That has me intrigued. You mean not ONE PERSON queried as to their whereabouts for two days? I don't buy that, sorry.

I agree with you Jo this is so very weird and creepy.:ohwell:

Mike Bock
06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I agree with you Jo this is so very weird and creepy.:ohwell:

Yeah me too, there is definitely something missing.:ohwell:

OA
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM

There generally always is...

That said, if it is true that he killed them, I truly don't understand how a person can do that. It's one thing to kill your wife/lover out of anger, jealousy, etc., but to then take the life of your own child, well, thats a whole other world....you must be TRULY disturbed take such action...again, not to excuse killing the wife, but we all know that these things happen all the time in fits of rage (and to a lesser extent, premeditated)...but to kill your own child, you must have to be in such a severe mental state...

I dunno...words fail me...such a tragedy...

KROW
06-26-2007, 03:38 PM
You know... Thinking about it, it could have been that his wife killed the child, then he killed her out of rage and then himself out of grief.

Mr._Mutant_Man
06-26-2007, 03:40 PM

So someone who acts out violence for a movie role is more likely to kill by that logic?

Most of the people in the business are probably decent. One went nuts. Possibly due to steroids seeming like a necessity to some, but the pro-wrestling business itself is not to blame for the actions of an individual.

KROW
06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Right. Come on, folks. Just because these guys throw each other around and yell threats at each other doesn't mean that they're all violent bastards. Please learn about the business before assuming things.

jeff the cheff
06-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I didn't assume anything. I'm just saying Pro-wrestlers are probably no more or less likely to commit acts of violence than anyone else. But how is anyone surprised at all about this, you know him only through an act, which happens to be violent.

Wingnut
06-26-2007, 04:02 PM
This just puzzles me. It just doesn't seem like someone could be disturbed enough to kill their own wife and child and not set off some sort of suspicion amongst the people he knew...That's what I don't get. Then again I didn't know him personally. I don't know, it's a sad time for professional wrestling right now.

KROW
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
But how is anyone surprised at all about this, you know him only through an act, which happens to be violent.
What does that mean? If Joe Q. Public did the same thing, I would be surprised and ask myself how anyone could do such a thing. If I did something like this, my friends and family would be equally surprised. So you're not because he's a wrestler or because he's human like the rest of us?

Also, even though I mostly know Benoit through his performance on television, that doesn't disclude how his closest friends know him. I can assure you that Dean Malenko and Chavo Guerrero are surprised as hell about this. And from hearing how they felt about Benoit and how they lived with him, I would take their word for it.

Revan
06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I didn't assume anything. I'm just saying Pro-wrestlers are probably no more or less likely to commit acts of violence than anyone else. But how is anyone surprised at all about this, you know him only through an act, which happens to be violent.

I'm surprised because he had money and popularity and a family. What else is there? Plus anytime something horrible and sick like this happens, it's surprising. To me anyway

Nightwatcher
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
You know... Thinking about it, it could have been that his wife killed the child, then he killed her out of rage and then himself out of grief.

The autopsy says the wife was dead a day before the son.

People also brought up the nice things people said about him during the tribute RAW to him. You have to add into the fact that he had just died so no one is really going to say, "He did have some rage problems with his wife." Or, "Sometimes he seemed a little emotionally unstable." I'm not saying either of these things are true, but they weren't going to say anything but nice things about him on the show.

KROW
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
People also brought up the nice things people said about him during the tribute RAW to him. You have to add into the fact that he had just died so no one is really going to say, "He did have some rage problems with his wife." Or, "Sometimes he seemed a little emotionally unstable." I'm not saying either of these things are true, but they weren't going to say anything but nice things about him on the show.
Of course. At the time, they had no idea what the cause of death was so they couldn't attribute any inclination to any possible internal struggles. Also, it was a tribute presentation. Saying anything off the cuff like that would have been deemed unprofessional and most likely not make it to air.

Raven
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Its very sad to hear about this, but as many have stated the case seems a bit off. I'm sure the main reason that it seems odd is because we dont know the mental state of these people during that time.

Could it be possible that Chris was so worried about losing his wife that he thought better to kill?

There could be thousands of reasons, really this would make more sense if we just knew what state of mind all these people were. Which I'm sure well get some closure on once we starting hearing stories from the families later on about the moments before this horrible event.

jeff the cheff
06-26-2007, 04:36 PM
What does that mean? If Joe Q. Public did the same thing, I would be surprised and ask myself how anyone could do such a thing. If I did something like this, my friends and family would be equally surprised. So you're not because he's a wrestler or because he's human like the rest of us?

Also, even though I mostly know Benoit through his performance on television, that doesn't disclude how his closest friends know him. I can assure you that Dean Malenko and Chavo Guerrero are surprised as hell about this. And from hearing how they felt about Benoit and how they lived with him, I would take their word for it.

I meant to question why anyone was surprised that this particular person did this particular act. I guess it is surprising that anybody would do that, but I meant that there isn't a reason to be more surprised that he did it than if Joe Q. Public did it.

KROW
06-26-2007, 05:32 PM
I meant to question why anyone was surprised that this particular person did this particular act. I guess it is surprising that anybody would do that, but I meant that there isn't a reason to be more surprised that he did it than if Joe Q. Public did it.
Fair enough.

Here's the latest from WWE.com:

STAMFORD, Conn., June 26, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.

So, until proven otherwise, steroids have nothing to do with this and it would be appreciated if it isn't mentioned again in an accusatory sense.

Duke
06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
I used to watch wrestling all the time and Chris Benoit was an amazing talent and I'm truly saddened for the entire Benoit family. I don't believe for one second that he killed his wife and son. But apperantly a weopon of some sort was discovered in the house. :ohwell:However, statements like this and others in the thread are ludicrous. Unless I'm mistaken, no one here knew the man personally and even if you did know him personally it still doesn't mean he couldn't have done it. Plus the fact that some wrestlers and close friends said great things about his personal life, doesn't mean a thing either. Some of the meanest people on earth are also the most two-faced people on earth. Just because you act one way in public, and even the same way around your closest friends, doesn't mean you still don't go home and beat the hell out of your wife and kids. I'm not trying to suggest in any way Benoit ever did this but I'm also not willing to say I don't believe for one second he couldn't have done it either. People talk about skeletons in closests and events that happen behind close doors because they do exist and no one ever suspects them to.

ZariusTwo
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm more inclined to accept Benoit did it, even if I will never lose my respect for his professional accomplishments. He WAS professional wrestling, and I doubt any will replace him in regards to the work ethic and effort he put in to elevate and propel talents he worked with.

I blame him, I blame the scheduling, I blame the steroids, I blame the domestic problems he had, I blame the emotional turmoil of events such as Eddie's death, and I blame Vince not grasping his buisness needs to take rest periods, or at best, a social system so that talents can have someone to talk to regarding issues such as long time seperation from family and losses of freinds.

Benoit was professional wrestling, he was it's ups, and it's downs, it's greatest victories, and it's greatest tragedies. He was it's art and innocense, and he was it's stigma. Benoit's story, one of glory and commendability, will now sadly be regarded by the ignorant as a cruelly ignored and resented career.

GK Punk
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Got to think of it like this, Kiefer Sutherland spends time making a show like 24. Now, if He did this It wouldn't really be fair to say that it's not surprising, because he did it in movies.

And yeah, a lot of the denial going around Wrestling fans is because of how well respected he was, not only with the fans, but in the industry as well. Everyone spoke highly of how much he loved his family, and how he is a true class act, etc. Then what seems like out of nowhere, he murders, violently his Wife and one of his Children. I can't blame people for being in denial over it. I wish I still was.

I feel really disgusted by him right now though. I feel incredibly betrayed.

Not picking fights or anything at anyone, just offering my way of looking at it.

Katie
06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised because he had money and popularity and a family. What else is there?

So what? you can't be unhappy with these things? The grass is always greener on the other side. As much as I want the family thing, I have plenty of friends who have exactly what I want but would trade places with me in a heartbeat.

Money, Popularity, and Family =/= Automatic Happy.

It is a horrible tragedy for all involved. Whatever pushed him over the edge...whatever circumstances it was...whatever. whenever, all of it. whether it was this famous person or Joe Schmo next door....it is still a tragedy.

TMNT
06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I find the fact that the WWE is grief stricken yet is also rather defensive about this whole steroids thing (they always were) really unsettling. I mean, they're going to crack down on the WWE as they have done in other sports on the topic of steroids but for the company to kind of cover their own behind like that just doesn't seem right. Regardless, this event has just been downright tragic all the way through and I just hope more light is shed on the case. It'll provide some much needed closure.

Voltron
06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
It's a pity we all can't just hop on a pegasus and ride away from this tragedy.

I still can't believe they did a tribute to him.

Seriously, I was half expecting to see a tribute to Scott Peterson afterwards. It's something we all idolize, anymore, I suppose. Deadbeats, grinning like wolverines. . .

In all honesty, I have no idea what would drive a man to kill his own child. I just can't believe some of the things that happen in the world. Sends a shudder right down my spine.

GK Punk
06-26-2007, 07:28 PM
That's really unfair to say. It was being reported on the news at the time that a gas leak was the likely cause for their deaths. The WWE Runs tributes to any current star on the roster that suddenly dies. On top of that, they had to run something in their 3 hour programing block.

Also, despite how horrible and unforgivable his actions were, these people lost a very close friend. and again, as far as they knew he didn't hurt his family.

WWE pulled all of the Tribute videos and images of Benoit down as soon as they knew what was going on, before it was even reported in the news.

It's unfair to point any blame at the company. Go to their site and look at it, almost any reference to Chris Benoit is gone. Even his Profile.

Voltron
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Without taking a polemic tone, I want to say that I heard murder/suicide as a cause of death the day it showed. I caught in on a local radio talk show.

In all reality, I'm sure that the man's family is falling to pieces. I don't know what it's like to lose a grandchild or nephew to these circumstances, but I'd imagine it leaves that hollow pressure in your chest that doesn't seem to go away, no matter how hard you try to forget.

However, I still feel a bit agitated that the guy was glorified in such a hurry.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

GK Punk
06-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, Voltron I have no issues with your general disgust over it. I'm absolutely horrified over it. But when watching the show, not knowing what really happened, it was really emotional watching these old clips of his career. Now, I'll be honest for the time being I have no interest in watching any Benoit footage.

I'm just trying to say that they recieved the news that Benoit was dead when they arrived to the arena, a short time before the show went on the air. They basically followed their normal protocol in this instance, and his now about ready to apparently apoligize for it. (On ECW Vince is schedueled to say something about it...) I've also heard WWE isn't going to air that "Tribute" In any international markets. No replays of this will ever be shown. I think they realize the tribute was a bad idea now.

Mr. Snackpants
06-26-2007, 07:46 PM
[COLOR="Yellow"]So, until proven otherwise, steroids have nothing to do with this and it would be appreciated if it isn't mentioned again in an accusatory sense.

Ok so he was sick nut-job then.

That's much better...

X
06-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Hope I don't get modded for my opinion, but Benoit is a coward true to form. I hope no one shows and cries at his funeral, because death is too good for his sorry ass.

He didn't have to kill an innocent kid, who couldn't fight back, and now I hope someone crippler crossfaces his rotting corpse.

Sorry for the last bit, but I have two kids, and I love them to death. Everytime I hear sick crap like this, I look at my kids and think, how can anyone do something so sick. He is a selfish freak who deserves to have his grave peed on many times.

Now everytime I hear more stories about this, I think about the poor kid saying, "daddy please stop, I love you," only for this snaggle toothed punk to ice him.

I swear if I were to know Benoit in person, I'd ruin his funeral, well maybe not really, but that kid couldn't defend himself.

Sorry I said this, but it's how I feel as a parent.

EDIT: By the way, during the time his son and wife were getting killed, think about how many people were taking advantage of life, and not being thankful for just waking up to another beautiful day.

-X-

KROW
06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
It's a pity we all can't just hop on a pegasus and ride away from this tragedy.

Seriously, I was half expecting to see a tribute to Scott Peterson afterwards. It's something we all idolize, anymore, I suppose. Deadbeats, grinning like wolverines. . .

Not funny or witty, despite your ego. I don't appreciate those comments. I made the image in my signature with a poetic ode to the man's career. The next time you intend to piss on someone's effort to express himself, I suggest you think twice.

And he wasn't glorified for f**k's sake. They held a tribute to his accomplishments in the ring while wrestlers shared moments they had with him. This was before the whole situation was ruled a double murder/suicide.

Wingnut
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, the text messages are crazy...“My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215”

damn.

JetsAndHeels
06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the tribute was done for the WWE and the atheletes. Yes, Benoit committed a horrible crime but still these people lost a friend, a brother that alot of them worked with for many years. You can imagine the shock and grief they felt.
Also at the time it was not known that it was a double murder/suicide. It was merely done in his memory for his time with the organization and in the sport.
I hate what happened, and it was a horrific tragedy that he did this, but still remember that alot of the people working for the WWE have lost someone too, and you can bet they are just as shocked and disgusted as alot of us are.

Peanut
06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Even as a huge Benoit fan, I don't see how anyone can still look at the man as anything other than a sick and demented scum bag. He was an amazing f*cking wrestler, he put on some clinics, but nothing can make up for such a despicable act of cowardice. I don't care how epic his matches were, he deserves no praise, and he deserves no sympathy. All he deserves is a spot in Hell.

SassyGal
06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I have to say this whole tragedy just makes me ill. All I can think of is how can a man kill his son? I had one hell of a day trying to wrangle my sister's boy, but no matter what he did, I just loved him to pieces. When I look at his little face, I can't imagine ever even thinking about hurting him, never mind killing him! As a person who desperately wants a child, it makes me so mad that anyone would take a precious gift like that and throw it away! I am so disappointed in anyone who does something like this.

KROW
06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
More information from WWE.com:

Below is a detailed WWE/Chris Benoit timeline from Saturday to Monday:

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Chris Benoit was scheduled to appear at the WWE SmackDown/ ECW live event in Beaumont, Texas

3:30pm
A co-worker received a voice message from Benoit. The message from Benoit stated he missed his flight and over slept and would be late to the WWE Live Event. The co-worker called Benoit back, Benoit confirmed everything he said in his voice message and sounded tired and groggy. Benoit then stated, “I love you”. The co-worker stated that it was “out of context.”

3:42pm
The same co-worker was concerned with Benoit’s tone and demeanor and called Benoit for a second time. Benoit did not answer the call and the co-worker left a message stating “just call me back.”

3:44pm
Benoit called the co-worker back stating he didn’t answer the call because he was on the phone with Delta changing his flight. Benoit stated he had a real stressful day due to Nancy and Daniel being sick with food poisoning. They discussed travel plans for the WWE Tour of Texas with Benoit still sounding groggy at this point according to the co-worker.

4:30pm
A co-worker who consistently travels with Benoit, called Benoit from outside Houston airport and Benoit answered. Benoit told the co-worker that Nancy was throwing up blood and that Daniel was also throwing up. Benoit thought they had food poisoning. Benoit stated he changed his flight and he would be arriving into Houston at 6:30pm. Benoit told the co-worker to drive onto the WWE event.

5:35pm
Benoit called WWE Talent Relations stating that his son was throwing up and that he and Nancy were in the hospital with their son, and that Benoit would be taking a later flight into Houston, landing late, but would make the WWE live event in Beaumont.

6:10pm
A representative of Talent Relations called Benoit. The representative from Talent Relations asked Benoit what time Benoit was getting into Beaumont. Benoit responded he was leaving Atlanta at 9:20pm Eastern time arriving into Houston at 9:24pm Central time. The representative from Talent Relations advised Benoit that it would be too late to make the WWE live event in Beaumont. Benoit apologized citing he had a family emergency. The representative from Talent Relations suggested to Benoit that instead of going to the WWE live event in Beaumont, Benoit should take the flight to Houston, rest up and be ready for the Vengeance Pay-Per-View event.

6:13pm
The representative from Talent Relations called Benoit to reconfirm the travel plans with no answer from Benoit. The representative from Talent Relations left a voice message to take the flight and rest up.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Text messages sent to co-workers from Chris Benoit and Nancy Benoit’s cell phones:

Text Message 1
Sent to: Two Co-Workers (the same who had verbal correspondence with Benoit the day before)
When: 6/24 at 3:53am from
Message: C, S. My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

Text Message 2
Sent to: Two Co-Workers (the same who had verbal correspondence with Benoit the day before)
When: 6/24 at 3:53am
Message: The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open

Text Message 3
When: 6/24 at 3:54am
Message: C, S. My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

Text Message 4
When: 6/24 at 3:55am

Text Message 5
Sent to: A Co-Worker who consistently traveled with Benoit
When: 6/24 at 3:58am
Message: My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

WWE made several attempts to contact Benoit via phone and text messages, as well as, the local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 pm Sunday night there was no contact made with Benoit.

Monday, June 25, 2007

12:30pm
WWE was notified of text messages sent to the two co-workers.

12:45pm
WWE contacted the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office and requested them to go to Benoit’s
residence

4:00pm
WWE received a call from the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office, advising that they entered
the house of Benoit and found 3 deceased bodies (a male, a female and a child). The Fayetteville Sheriff’s office has secured the house as a “major crime scene” and that the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s Office had no further information.

ZariusTwo
06-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Without taking a polemic tone, I want to say that I heard murder/suicide as a cause of death the day it showed. I caught in on a local radio talk show.

In all reality, I'm sure that the man's family is falling to pieces. I don't know what it's like to lose a grandchild or nephew to these circumstances, but I'd imagine it leaves that hollow pressure in your chest that doesn't seem to go away, no matter how hard you try to forget.

However, I still feel a bit agitated that the guy was glorified in such a hurry.

That tribute show was taped prior to airing by the staff without knowing the full facts, which continued to break over the course of the show.

I don't care how epic his matches were, he deserves no praise, and he deserves no sympathy. All he deserves is a spot in Hell.

I disagree, especially since I consider his actions the result of combining illegal and perscribed substances, a hectic schedule, the loss of Eddie, and a child with Fragile X syndrome under the care of parents who were fighting reguarly with known evidences of 'roid rage tantrums.

The guy went over the edge. That simple

Hey, let's get back to celebrating domestic wifebeaters like Austin and Flair eh? Or guys like Edge who forced one giuy out of a job for a few months for causing emotional strain whilst also cheating on his wife? Those guys are awesome, yeah, let's go back to forgiving them for their misdeeds and accepting them as main eventers and legendary performers because we've found a new guy to thrash.

Whenever these judgmental pundits like it or not, Benoit WILL be revered again in the cult regard he deserves

X
06-26-2007, 11:42 PM
You know I am no super christian, but I do know some of the word.

I do know that if a person takes their own life they supposedly end up in Hell. In this case, I hope he enjoys his eternity in Hell, while hopefully his wife and kid got a spot in good old Heaven.

All my statements, stated above still hold true. I have more to add, but it's to jacked up for these forums.

Snaggle Toothe Psycho should be his name for now on.

-X-

ZariusTwo
06-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Nice to see the ignorant have completly avoided the facts I pointed out above in favour of reacting as typically as a mainstream pundit would, really sweet of 'em. Back to those great wifebeating legends like Austin folks, BAH GWAD, STONE COLD!

Bend-in-the-wind backstabbing hypocrites. The instant Angle drops like a fly, you'll all jump on him next. Wrestling fans my ass.

I find it funny that religious berks have a place where those who commit sin are condemed, does "God" not forgive all trangressions to the next life? Oh wait, sorry, the Christians must have forgotten that alongside the Dinosaurs

Storm Wolf
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
That tribute show was taped prior to airing by the staff without knowing the full facts, which continued to break over the course of the show.

I disagree, especially since I consider his actions the result of combining illegal and prescribed substances, a hectic schedule, the loss of Eddie, and a child with Fragile X syndrome under the care of parents who were fighting regularly with known evidences of 'roid rage tantrums.

The guy went over the edge. That simple

Hey, let's get back to celebrating domestic wife beaters like Austin and Flair eh? Or guys like Edge who forced one guy out of a job for a few months for causing emotional strain whilst also cheating on his wife? Those guys are awesome, yeah, let's go back to forgiving them for their misdeeds and accepting them as main eventers and legendary performers because we've found a new guy to thrash.

You know I have to agree with Zarius. No one REALLY knows what happened here at all and we may never really know the truth. A combination of things could have simply driven Benoit over the edge or maybe there was an underlaying cause? Not that I'm trying to excuse him from the horrible deed, but the man was only human and as we know full well if you are human you are prone to being swayed or driven over the edge quite easily.

It's an awful tragedy...but think about it people....what if this had happened to YOUR family? would still be feeling and making the same comments? What if this guy had been your best friend and someone you you knew for years personally? Would you still feel the same?

It was a terrible thing Benoit did. A horrible thing. To judge him only makes it worse.

...and what Zarius Said about going back to celebrating the other wrestlers and their wrong doings....They may be lesser offenses (a matter of opinion i suppose) but these guys will get the same Tribute when they pass as Benoit did before they knew what was going on. I really don't feel they "Glorified" him any more than any other superstar who has passed on. Eddie Guerrero was Glorified....granted it was a different situation. For weeks we were flooded with images and such of Eddie, however as soon as McMahon got wind of the nature of the situation with Benoit he put a stop to it before "Glorification" was allowed to take place.

Barkworm
06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Please let's not make this a religious discussion.

ZariusTwo
06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Please let's not make this a religious discussion.

I agree, so long as the same guys with nothing better to do stop saying "burn in hell" over a guy and a situation they will never know the truth about.

And yes, a lot of what I mentioned are lesser offenses, but they all had the potential to become far more dangerous.

TheGreenMagic
I'm going to have to agree with Zarius as well in regards to Benoit. I doubt we'll ever truly know what it was exactly that led him to doing what he did (and I'm not sure I want to know what pushed him to the brink so badly), but at this point I'm trying my hardest to separate my opinions between the Chris Benoit I watched for years in the WWE and Chris Benoit the real man. Though it'll probably be a long time before I can ever watch one of his matches without first thinking about what's happened in the past few days.

VaughnMichael
I'm more inclined to accept Benoit did it, even if I will never lose my respect for his professional accomplishments. He WAS professional wrestling, and I doubt any will replace him in regards to the work ethic and effort he put in to elevate and propel talents he worked with.

I blame him, I blame the scheduling, I blame the steroids, I blame the domestic problems he had, I blame the emotional turmoil of events such as Eddie's death, and I blame Vince not grasping his buisness needs to take rest periods, or at best, a social system so that talents can have someone to talk to regarding issues such as long time seperation from family and losses of freinds.

Benoit was professional wrestling, he was it's ups, and it's downs, it's greatest victories, and it's greatest tragedies. He was it's art and innocense, and he was it's stigma. Benoit's story, one of glory and commendability, will now sadly be regarded by the ignorant as a cruelly ignored and resented career.
Or sadly made into a tv movie of the week.:ohwell:

Anarky
06-27-2007, 03:51 AM
You know, once more I'm kind of shocked how the media butchers this. I mean, crap like this happens everyday. And from a journalist point of view, I can understand why it's being butchered, but I still think it's kind of wrong. I mean, I had trouble with this while working for the newspaper, always argued with the boss about it, felt really bad when I had to do it, but it's sort of got to be done. I still don't see why it can be left at "Benoit and family dead, motive and killer unknown" for now until the coppers have their investigations done. Every detail must be brought to public attention, everyone has his or her theory and it's quite sickening, really.

Also, those horrible tributes on telly and everywhere bother me. I mean, let the dead be dead, moment of silence on the next wrestling event perhaps, but not endless specials and talkshows about it. But I guess I'm pretty alone with that point of view.

The Stryker
06-27-2007, 04:03 AM
The first tribute was done before WWE had all the facts, it was all pre-taped and was a case of bad timing.

I'm just really saddened by all of this, Empty feeling, confused...I can't really say.

Duke
06-27-2007, 06:46 AM
I disagree, especially since I consider his actions the result of combining illegal and perscribed substances, a hectic schedule, the loss of Eddie, and a child with Fragile X syndrome under the care of parents who were fighting reguarly with known evidences of 'roid rage tantrums.The key word in that is his actions. He made the choice to take illegal substances (I'm not saying he did, just repeating what you said). He made the choice to work a hectic schedule by not leaving the industry. I'm sorry but if it caused him that much psychological stress than its time for him to find a new job. Plenty of wrestlers work hectic schedules but don't go crazy. And yes unfortunately he lost a close friend and had a son with a disease, but he still allowed those things to affect. I know people that's been through much worse and choose to receive professional help because it began overwhelming and he could have made the same choice. And finally he choose to kill his wife and son.

Circumstances don't define someone, their actions in those circumstances do.

KROW
06-27-2007, 07:59 AM
The key word in that is his actions. He made the choice to take illegal substances (I'm not saying he did, just repeating what you said). He made the choice to work a hectic schedule by not leaving the industry. I'm sorry but if it caused him that much psychological stress than its time for him to find a new job. Plenty of wrestlers work hectic schedules but don't go crazy. And yes unfortunately he lost a close friend and had a son with a disease, but he still allowed those things to affect. I know people that's been through much worse and choose to receive professional help because it began overwhelming and he could have made the same choice. And finally he choose to kill his wife and son.

Circumstances don't define someone, their actions in those circumstances do.

The thing is, he could have taken time off to put his affairs in order, but he couldn't. Like Zarius said, it was the work schedule. Vince works the guys hard to keep his business in the position it's in, probably out of fear of losing ratings and, in turn, money.

Shawn Michaels took five years off for this purpose. Five years. How many of us can say that we can leave a job that pays so well for that long and still have it when we get back? Benoit probably didn't have that guarantee. More often than not, the only time off these guys get is when they get injured. Isn't that nice? The only time you can relax at your job is if your in pain. Couple that with problems at home -- marital and custody problems, at that -- and your world might seem to crumble around you.

It's all a somewhat confusing situation, but I will agree that he made a choice to do what he did.

Raph's Girl
06-27-2007, 08:20 AM
New Info has come in:

Daniel Benoit was apperantly killed by a choke hold in his bed. He was found laying face down on his stomach. There were also needle marks on his arms (he was being injected with growth hormones cuz he was so short. They think he was a dwarf).

X
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Nothing good can come of religious statements due to the fact everyone believes something different.

To those who say we don't know the whole story, well we know one thing. Benoit did kill two innocent people. One being 7 years old.

I don't care if drugs were involved, it's his fault for doing them, I don't care if stress is involved, it's his fault for not finding a way to deal with it.

I learned alot in the 28 years of my life. I used to punch walls, I had a super bad temper that if anyone messed with me I would knock the living poo out of them, I used to love fighting with everyone until I got my way, but I stopped it myself and no one had to tell me. That means I was capable of displaying willpower to change myself. It reminds me of how people can say they are alchoholics when scientists proved there is no such thing as an alchoholic gene that makes people addicted. It's all an excuse for them to feel like they need help, when they can help themselves.

I for one, no longer do things I know will stress me out, or cause me to take any actions out on others. It's that simple. When I get angry at my son for being bad, I have a choice. Do I scream at him, spank him, and send him to his room? Or do I calmly tell him to get in the corner for five minutes to teach him a lesson? If I had a job that stressed me out enough to go home and take it out on innocent people, I would simply quit, and find something more along my lines. Family over anything else in my books.

If people want to place a blame on anything, it's all the parents, no matter what way you slice it. There are no excuses when it comes to drugs, roids, and whatnot, in which case, it's still the parents. I don't treat the human race like idiots who cannot fathom what it means to make their own decisions. He had choices, and he obviously chose hateful tactics, over good. If my kid grows up, and does something stupid like shoots up a school because of games (lame excuse,) then it was my bad for not teaching him games are nothing more then computer chips. If he cusses, it was my fault for placing him around people who cuss all the time (which I don't.)

-X-

ZariusTwo
06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Your personal life does not apply here.

His son had Fragile X Syndrome, that is expensive to properly supervise and treat, and the condition made Daniel sociably difficult to raise in a family environment.

You are not a professional wrestler. You are not a professional sports-entertainer who has to endure expectations of what size to fit and what mold to break, you are not a professional worker who has to be seperated, indefinatly from freinds and family whose welfare depends the highest affordable accomedation to treat in certain cases.

If you don't care drugs were involved, then that explains your typical mainstream ignorance right there, because drugs DO control the way people act when they underestimate thier effects and take the kind that damages you all of the time. Because of someone's actions, they immediatly say "your fault" for the choice, choice is'nt a factor when you're not thinking rationaly, you brood on the most ludicrous aspects of your conscious mind, the stuff you DON'T do when faced with an overwhelming problem. You have no control over changing that part of your mind, and therefore can't control your own actions.

TMNT
06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't know if it's been posted but here's a message by Vince that aired on ECW last night.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/chairmanbenoit

He pretty much states that the whole tribute thing was wrong. I don't see it as wrong. I mean, yes the actions of Beniot are horrible but there's nothing wrong with the people who shared personal moments with the guy in his career to share their thoughts. He was a wrestler and he did his job well. For them to completely disown Benoit like that--he mentions "no mention" of Benoit and we're here to simply entertain. It seems they took the fast route to the healing process.

ZariusTwo
06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree with Vince, but he did'nt apologise for the tribute entirely either, he did'nt even say he was sorry, he simply stated that things had become "very appararent" and that the show would be dedicated by all those affected, and that they would move on quicker, which is the ideal thing to do.

During the match between Punk and Elijah Burke, they ended with an EXACT homage to a Benoit vs Malenko match, hence giving him a subtle nod. Vince can't afford to keep his company connected to a confirmed murderer, but he obviously would like to under different circumstances. Vince is a guy who makes freinds with his talent, and if you betray him on a level like this that can humiliate and blacklist your company in a very hostile media, it hurts him.

KROW
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
More developments on the case:

WWE.com learned from an interview conducted Tuesday by Vancouver’s News1130 that Chris Benoit’s son Daniel possibly suffered from Fragile X Syndrome, a genetically passed-on condition that results in impairments ranging from physical and learning disabilities, to more severe cognitive or intellectual disabilities.

In the interview with News1130, Pam Winthrope, whose own 12-year-old son suffers from Fragile X Syndrome, recounted how she and her husband talked to Benoit about the condition five years ago.

“We talked to him because I was trying to set up a support group in B.C. and in Canada; we only have a couple of them,” she said. “My husband was struggling when we got diagnosed with our son, and Chris was struggling with his. They talked for a few minutes, and then he said he didn’t want to be a public face for Fragile X. He just wanted to keep it really, really quiet.”

A source close to Benoit recalls similar conversations with him, where he described his son’s condition as “a learning disability much like autism.” This source quotes Benoit as saying “Daniel wasn’t capable of interacting with other children and was afraid of other children. Daniel also had a hard time making eye contact with everyone, which was another symptom of his disability.” Benoit also claimed that his son was on medication for this condition.

Winthrope discussed the pressures facing parents of children diagnosed with Fragile X syndrome. During her interview with News1130, she stated that families can be torn apart by the disease because it's very difficult to find help and support. Winthrope added, "You as a parent have to go out there and find what's available and it's not easy -- they don't tell you."

A co-worker and long-time friend of the Benoits speculates that perhaps the pressures of home and Daniel’s illness had gotten to him, causing him to snap and take the lives of his wife and son before taking his own.

“Is it possible that after Chris killed Nancy (for whatever reason), he felt Daniel wouldn't be able to get the care and attention he required as a special needs child (if that is indeed true) with no mother and a father either in jail or dead? Did he then decide that the only way he could protect and take care of his son was to take him to the next world and go with him? In his warped and twisted state, did he think this was the only way to shield his son from a difficult life of pain and hardship? It doesn't condone or justify a damn thing, but it's the best reason I can think of. I'm trying to put together some semblance of logic for his actions, but it's an impossible task trying to explain this.”

It is also apparent that the person who was receiving the text messages was Chavo Guerrero. Additionally, it turns out that Benoit was being investigated for steroids, since the mail-order "RX" company he was ordering them from wasn't legitimate. Police arrested the two ring leaders as well as 60 people who were working for them. Whether Benoit knew the company was dirty or not will most likely never be known.

X
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Zarius... Bro... Think what you will of me, but until you have kids, you don't have any idea what kinds of feelings stem from being a parent. You just have no idea as of yet.

When I mentioned drugs, I mentioned the fact that if Benoit was on drugs when he killed them, it was his fault for doing drugs when he could easily walk away. If drugs were so much of a thing in his life, I'm sure it wasn't that well hidden in the midst of a full-time career, and his times at home. Again as I've said it's all about the parents, it's more our faults then anything. I am a parent, but not one of these dipsticks who will lack admitance to how a kid grows up and acts...

Now to another new development I heard, which further makes me mad, is the fact his kid is labled by the press as mentally retarded (from a news story I just saw.) So what does daddy do? He frickin choke holds (or smuthered no one can seem to make up their mind about how the kid died,) a mentally disabled kid.

Vince was right in feeling wrong, however, had I been him, I would've waited until further facts before hosting a tribute show.

-Benoit was wrong for doing drugs in the first place. Fact.

-Benoit was wrong for taking his stressful situations (his work,) out on others, instead of quitting like his wife requested. Fact

-Benoit should've never had kids, if he knew he wasn't capable of handling the duties a father should.

As a father of two (Son is 5, Daughter is 1,) I see stress daily. Enough that my 28 year old head of hair could easily turn white. However, it doesn't give me the right to take human lives (let alone my kids,) because I wanna be a sissy whine bag, who can't seek professional help. That power wasn't bestowed upon me, like all these idiot killers in the world think. When it all boils down to it, we were meant to get along with each other, not slaughter each other like savages.

It boils down to overload. Everyone in this world has a foolish pride at times, and I dare someone to come here and say they never let pride get the best of them. Benoit probably looked at his muscles and thought he was superman, and forgot about that beating heart inside of him. I've always told people I know that if they offered me anyone I know who has died that I cared for in exchange for a toe, I would happily lop it off in front of them and hand it to them with a smile on my face. Physical pain comes and goes, mental pain is forever.

-X-

jeff the cheff
06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Your personal life does not apply here.

His son had Fragile X Syndrome, that is expensive to properly supervise and treat, and the condition made Daniel sociably difficult to raise in a family environment.

You are not a professional wrestler. You are not a professional sports-entertainer who has to endure expectations of what size to fit and what mold to break, you are not a professional worker who has to be seperated, indefinatly from freinds and family whose welfare depends the highest affordable accomedation to treat in certain cases.

If you don't care drugs were involved, then that explains your typical mainstream ignorance right there, because drugs DO control the way people act when they underestimate thier effects and take the kind that damages you all of the time. Because of someone's actions, they immediatly say "your fault" for the choice, choice is'nt a factor when you're not thinking rationaly, you brood on the most ludicrous aspects of your conscious mind, the stuff you DON'T do when faced with an overwhelming problem. You have no control over changing that part of your mind, and therefore can't control your own actions.

I disagree with what your saying. Sure nobody here knows what it's like to be in his shoes. No matter how much stress he is under, there isn't any excuse. I don't know what it's like to be in that situation, or to have my mind altered by drugs, but there is still no excuse for killing someone. If someone gets stressed from work, drinks a lot of alcohol, and beats their kids up, you don't say "well it's hard to understand what he was going through", thats just someone doing something evil.

I'm trying to think of an analogy here...what if someone gets drunk and drives and kills a family member of yours....I don't think you would forgive them because they were under the influence and weren't able to make good choices, at least I wouldn't

Storm Wolf
06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
When I mentioned drugs, I mentioned the fact that if Benoit was on drugs when he killed them, it was his fault for doing drugs when he could easily walk away.

-X-

I understand your main point, but you don't know to much about drugs and addictions do you? Drug abuse isn't just a "bad habit" ...it's a sickness...just like any sickness it's hard to, if not impossible to cure. It's not something that, once you've used it, you can just say "Hey this is screwing things up worse, so I'm not going to do it anymore." Then walk away and just don't do it anymore. Drugs dilute your mind and ravage your thinking processes. It leaves you blind to the hurt you cause others emotionally, mentally and physically. Any abuser can tell you, no matter how long they've been "clean" that drugs are always in the back of their mind and re-lapse can happen easily and quickly. No, what Benoit did wasn't right in any form or fashion, but I think you made his addiction a little easier to escape than it really was, if in fact that's what it was.

Plus, we aren't really certain about type of drugs he was on...what did he need them for and such. I think there are just to many uncertainties to jump to so many rash conclusions.

X
06-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Actually Storm I do. I too was a teenager once, who thought smoking weed was cool. Funny thing is, after the first time, I looked at the smoked joint and said, "was that really worth it?" I kept asking myself questions and thinking, "well I'm not really being me am I." So you know what, I never touched one again. I think I mentioned this same line before on these forums, when one time I said that females actually thought of me more when I was myself, and not what everyone else is. While life is not all about females and trying to impress them, it really showed how impressed they were with me. My guy friends could care less, so that's why I mainly mention them when saying that small story.

Then of course there's always the case, well I got into drugs and smoking cigarettes because I was always stressed out, and coming home from a hard days work, and blah blah. My answers to those, were to always keep telling myself, "well David (my name,) you've been having a bad day, just find a way to deal with it. Make sure when you get home, not to take any frustrations out on others in ANYWAY." Cigarettes really never tickled my fancy to try to begin with, as my sig says it all. I love life, no matter how bad it can be, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and I refuse to pay to kill myself when I could be giving it to some homeless man on the street who can buy a burger, or I'll buy one for him. Alchohol is a big joke. I drink on occasion (when I hit the clubs, in which I never drive home, even though I never get drunk, just a little buzz.) Scientists actually proved their is no such thing as an alchoholic gene to feed any sort of addiction. People who say they are addicted, made themselves, not some hormone.

I could go on I suppose, but it all boils down to simple things.

- Everyone chooses their path in life, and make their own decisions. This means Benoit could've chosen other means, if his life was in the gutter, however he kept pushing himself too hard.

- Benoit didn't have to do drugs, pending he was on drugs when it happened. He could've sought out help from professionals.

- Benoit could've changed his profession. I'm sorry but the man isn't broke. I have been watching him since WCW days as one of the four horsemen (I started watching WCW in 96.) He could've easily retired on the money he had, but brought about his own pains due to love of the sport, and hurt other people in the process without giving a care what his wife thought about him wrestling. That's plain selfish, specially when you are part of a two person team, and have a kid to think about.

Look, I am a screenwriter, my feet are very much wet in tinseltown in some fashion. Once I get to the directors chair and have to leave to go on shoots, I will do two things. I will offer my family the chance to see the world with me, and learn it's various cultures. Have fun and whatnot too. :D

However, if they were not to go, but my wife at the time were to say I need to be more about family, well, she wouldn't even need to ask. In my life family comes before profession, even though profession brings the bank home. I will simply have to find other means to accomodate while making others happy in the process... Benoit could've done the same thing, but he's a man, and coming from a man, our pride sometimes gets the best of us, instead of just showing our true feelings.

-X-

Barkworm
06-28-2007, 04:04 AM
Are some people here really trying to play down the fact that this guy killed his family??? I mean, I can understand how you feel after your idol turned out to be a complete nut-case but it's f*cking murder we're talking about here. Not manslaughter, MURDER. There is no excuse.

KROW
06-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Are some people here really trying to play down the fact that this guy killed his family??? I mean, I can understand how you feel after your idol turned out to be a complete nut-case but it's f*cking murder we're talking about here. Not manslaughter, MURDER. There is no excuse.

His actions were deplorable, but I think some of us are trying to uphold a sense of decency by looking at and analyzing the facts while others are spouting things like, "He's a sick nut-job," "I hope he burns in Hell," "He could've done this or that instead," and so on. Just disregarding the details and seeing it as, "He killed his family, so he ain't worth a damn in any respect" and in the same vein judging him is one-sided when there are still many facets to consider in this tragedy -- facets that might never be known.

We know what happened and we stated flat-out that this is a horrible thing. Now we're discussing the possible reasons why while there are still people who refuse to see the other side of the story. It's not defending his actions nor down-playing the incident nor is it trying to find an excuse, it's looking for a measure of understanding that the ignorant here just won't even try to comprehend.

X
06-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Yea but Krow, the thing in life now is, someone can always find a way to blame anything for peoples actions.

It's like what Chris Rock says in his standup "Bigger and Blacker." "What ever happened to just being crazy?"

Back before attorneys could tell all the kids, "blame Grand Theft Auto for your actions, they'll lessen the sentence, and cry plea of insanity," there was just being loony.

Now people can always blame drugs, for the reason why someone acted, when in truth, the very first time Benoit picked up a drug, he had the options -

A. Using it.

B. Not using it.

So if drugs were involved and he became a druggy then that was his own fault for spitting in everyones face just to feel good by being drugged up.

Here let's say this. Why in the hell would you want to be a professional wrestler if somewhere in there Steroids had to be involved? Is a job or career worth all of that, and totally forgetting any potential side effects of the substance? He had a choice yet again, but cared obviously more about himself, then anyone else.

If this is related to regular drugs, then again, he is selfish for thinking about himself over family and getting involved and picking up that first drug when he could've sought help. Like I've said, I have had issues in life, some bad, some not so bad, but I have never resorted to other methods to take my mind off any stressful situation.

Point blank though bro, is now adays everyones blaming anything they can, instead of blaming the person for acting foolish in any regard to dangerous subtance abuse or cookyness.

-X-

ZariusTwo
06-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Like I've said, I have had issues in life, some bad, some not so bad, but I have never resorted to other methods to take my mind off any stressful situation.

Hey, Bathalemew, write this on the chalkboard so the sane members of the class can force feed it to you in the playground

YOU ARE NOT A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER

Repeat that in your head 9000 times and then maybe, god maybe, you'll realize you are in NO posistion to sit on some high horse saying what you did in YOUR life and what YOU did. Wrestlers are the biggest addicts in the world, and it's out of neccessity to feed and sustain their families on a large-scale basis. Benoit made the choice to take them to sustain that welfare, even if it has now obviously backfired thanks to their influencing his stress and troubled mind. Noone thinks clearly when there in that condition, you did'nt because obviously your so-called "experiance" was'nt as bad as this, and therefore you have nothing to say about this discussion

Point blank though bro, is now adays everyones blaming anything they can, instead of blaming the person for acting foolish in any regard to dangerous subtance abuse or cookyness.

-X-

Point blank, Krow and I know this buisness better than you, and until you experiance what Benoit did, or people I personally know experiance, you've got nothing pal, give it up.

Noone is absolving Benoit of any crime he commited, but he was not thinking rationally, and whilst you'd love to beleive human action is all up to the individual, in the hands of disturbed, fragile, and addicted humans trying to do the right thing for their loved ones, human action is up to what is'nt helping their state of body and mind.

KROW
06-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Yea but Krow, the thing in life now is, someone can always find a way to blame anything for peoples actions.

It's like what Chris Rock says in his standup "Bigger and Blacker." "What ever happened to just being crazy?"

Back before attorneys could tell all the kids, "blame Grand Theft Auto for your actions, they'll lessen the sentence, and cry plea of insanity," there was just being loony.

Now people can always blame drugs, for the reason why someone acted, when in truth, the very first time Benoit picked up a drug, he had the options -

A. Using it.

B. Not using it.

So if drugs were involved and he became a druggy then that was his own fault for spitting in everyones face just to feel good by being drugged up.

Here let's say this. Why in the hell would you want to be a professional wrestler if somewhere in there Steroids had to be involved? Is a job or career worth all of that, and totally forgetting any potential side effects of the substance? He had a choice yet again, but cared obviously more about himself, then anyone else.

If this is related to regular drugs, then again, he is selfish for thinking about himself over family and getting involved and picking up that first drug when he could've sought help. Like I've said, I have had issues in life, some bad, some not so bad, but I have never resorted to other methods to take my mind off any stressful situation.

-X-

Using a comedian's perspective in a discussion about murder? Yikes.

You need to understand one thing: Maybe he didn't have a choice. Maybe he had to take steroids. Steroids aren't just a drug people take to enhance muscle mass. They're used as a stimulant. People with COPD use them and they are just as capable of doing horrendous actions as the next person, as are we all. The thing is, the company he was buying them from was shady. This could mean that he wasn't getting the proper steroids, they were tainted in some way, they were too strong, or maybe not strong enough. See, we don't know because the toxicology reports haven't been released. Hell, we don't even know if they're done yet. You're jumping to conclusions about his drug-use when the facts are still being formulated.

Also, there are tons of wrestlers that don't use steroids at all. It's not a prerequisite for the business. It's not even a matter of possibility to have to take them. For all we know, Benoit probably didn't want to take them, maybe was horrified to learn that he had to. Remember, when he was tested in April of this year, he was clean. Maybe something happened where he needed them rather than want them. It's an unknown and it's not right to assume that he took them for personal reasons.

Furthermore, although seeking professional help about stress in his life would have been a good idea, where exactly would Benoit find the time to juggle family, work, and therapy with a work schedule like his? Wrestlers are away from home 300 days out of the year. Is 65 days, spent sporadically, enough to alleviate any burdens in your life? No, they're not.

Now let's just say he wanted to go to therapy. Commendable, yes? Well, guess what? He would have to take time off work for it. He'd HAVE to. And again, like I said before, what's the guarantee that his job would be there when he got back and what if he didn't have that luxury? Did his contract allow that? Was there a clause in there for that type of situation? Again, we don't know.

There are a lot of things to consider and my argument is that most of the people in this thread aren't considering it.

Also, I would like to say that maybe Benoit punished himself in the end. The way he died seemed far more horrible than the way his family did. Perhaps he judged himself for his actions, so maybe it'd be best if we stop judging him.

jeff the cheff
06-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Your saying that he can't judge someone because he doesn't know what it's like to be in the "business" that you know so much about because you watch it on TV. X can call someone a sicko for killing his family regardless of what the circumstances are. I think thats his point, no matter what drugs he was on, stress he was under, or family trouble he had, you really can simplify all this and just call him an asshole pshycho murderer!

Oh I'm sorry, I have no idea what it's like to be a wrestler, so I have no place in judging him....and I can't judge scott peterson because I don't know what it's like to sell fertilizer for a living.

Sewer Bull
06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Now let's just say he wanted to go to therapy. Commendable, yes? Well, guess what? He would have to take time off work for it. He'd HAVE to. And again, like I said before, what's the guarantee that his job would be there when he got back and what if he didn't have that luxury? Did his contract allow that? Was there a clause in there for that type of situation? Again, we don't know.

How about retiring from wrestling then, after the potential therapy - and giving a chance to another job that would cause less damage to his life and mind?

You're saying as if he couldn't do anything but wrestle in his life.

Nightwatcher
06-28-2007, 11:10 AM
You keep assuming that Benoit wouldn't have a job when he got back if he took time off. Wasn't he one of the more popular wrestlers at the time? Even if the WWE wouldn't rehire him (unlikely) he definately could have found a job at TNA or another wrestling brand. Maybe even one that didn't travel around the U.S. every week.

KROW
06-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Your saying that he can't judge someone because he doesn't know what it's like to be in the "business" that you know so much about because you watch it on TV. X can call someone a sicko for killing his family regardless of what the circumstances are. I think thats his point, no matter what drugs he was on, stress he was under, or family trouble he had, you really can simplify all this and just call him an asshole pshycho murderer!

Oh I'm sorry, I have no idea what it's like to be a wrestler, so I have no place in judging him....and I can't judge scott peterson because I don't know what it's like to sell fertilizer for a living.
Stop comparing this with Scott Peterson, will you? He allegedly killed his wife over money which is way more materialistic. Benoit allegedly killed over a more mental and emotional reason. The two cases are different, regardless that they're both under the category of double-murder.

Another factor that makes them different is that Chris Benoit gave to the community. He entertained. He was a television celebrity, of sorts. The impact of these tragic events is overwhelming, just as it might be if a big Hollywood movie star would do the same. Scott Peterson was just like you or me, the Average Joe. His actions impacted the town in which he lived and then the nation when the media got wind of it. Benoit's case shocked the world.

And how do you know that Zarius (or I, for that matter) only know about the wrestling business because we watch it on TV exclusively? Maybe he goes backstage, meets them in person, does interviews, knows some of them personally. Maybe I do. You don't know. No, it's okay to jump to conclusions and assume things about people, right? Just throw caution to the wind and bark at the moon.

How about retiring from wrestling then, after the potential therapy - and giving a chance to another job that would cause less damage to his life and mind?

You're saying as if he couldn't do anything but wrestle in his life.
And what job, pray tell, would be able to pay him enough to care for his son who was suffering from Fragile X? He and his wife kept arguing over how to take care of him. She wanted him home more, but he said if he did he would get paid less.
You keep assuming that Benoit wouldn't have a job when he got back if he took time off. Wasn't he one of the more popular wrestlers at the time? Even if the WWE wouldn't rehire him (unlikely) he definately could have found a job at TNA or another wrestling brand. Maybe even one that didn't travel around the U.S. every week.
TNA? Yeah, right. They're just starting to get notoriety in the ratings. You think he's going to jump there with less pay and more hard work? And going to any other wrestling promotion would be frivolous. Also, I wasn't assuming a damn thing. I said MAYBE he didn't have that guarantee, MAYBE his contract wouldn't allow it.

Nightwatcher
06-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Did he actually "give to the community" or are you considering the fact that he wrestled on TV a community service?

KROW
06-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Did he actually "give to the community" or are you considering the fact that he wrestled on TV a community service?

Oh my God... He performed in front of a paying audience while getting his body battered and broken up for the sake of their amusement and entertainment. He did that around the world. I'd say that's giving to the community.

Mr. Snackpants
06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
His actions were deplorable, but I think some of us are trying to uphold a sense of decency by looking at and analyzing the facts while others are spouting things like, "He's a sick nut-job," "I hope he burns in Hell," "He could've done this or that instead," and so on. Just disregarding the details and seeing it as, "He killed his family, so he ain't worth a damn in any respect" and in the same vein judging him is one-sided when there are still many facets to consider in this tragedy -- facets that might never be known.

We know what happened and we stated flat-out that this is a horrible thing. Now we're discussing the possible reasons why while there are still people who refuse to see the other side of the story. It's not defending his actions nor down-playing the incident nor is it trying to find an excuse, it's looking for a measure of understanding that the ignorant here just won't even try to comprehend.

So you seriously think he shouldn't be called sick? Or that he wasn't a nut-job?

What facts aren't we taking into consideration? He killed his family. Nothing justifies that, ever. Unless he wasn't in control of himself due to drugs or whatever, you can't defend him or tell people to look at it objectively. Even if it was due to drugs, it's his fault for taking them. If his job was causing him so much problems he should've took time off. Im sure he would be welcomed back and even if he for some reason he wasn't, I'm sure he's financially set. There are no facts that could come out to justify what Benoit did. Unless they discover he didn't do it...he was one sick individual.

Nightwatcher
06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Assuming he went to wrestle for the troops, I would consider that giving to the community. I don't know what other charities the WWE does but if he did stuff for that it could be considered community service as well.

I would not consider wrestling itself a community service.

KROW
06-28-2007, 11:39 AM
So you seriously think he shouldn't be called sick? Or that he wasn't a nut-job?

What facts aren't we taking into consideration? He killed his family. Nothing justifies that, ever. Unless he wasn't in control of himself due to drugs or whatever, you can't defend him or tell people to look at it objectively. Even if it was due to drugs, it's his fault for taking them. If his job was causing him so much problems he should've took time off. Im sure he would be welcomed back and even if he for some reason he wasn't, I'm sure he's financially set. There are no facts that could come out to justify what Benoit did. Unless they discover he didn't do it...he was one sick individual.

I would deem him sick as in unwell, but not a nut-job.

And again, you're talking in unknowns. Maybe he wasn't financially well-off. His house was valued at $900,000, he made about $500,000 a year (much less than your average baseball, football, or basketball player), and the treatments needed to take care of his son cost who knows how much. Also, I'm not justifying nor defending him. I'm trying to garner an understanding here.

Assuming he went to wrestle for the troops, I would consider that giving to the community. I don't know what other charities the WWE does but if he did stuff for that it could be considered community service as well.

I would not consider wrestling itself a community service.
The WWE gives to thousands of charities and visits several benefits around the world. Benoit attended many of them, especially when he was the World Champion, which is like acting as the figurehead of the company.

Sewer Bull
06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
And what job, pray tell, would be able to pay him enough to care for his son who was suffering from Fragile X? He and his wife kept arguing over how to take care of him. She wanted him home more, but he said if he did he would get paid less.

I don't know what else he could have done in life - it could have always been something related to wrestling maybe. But I really know nothing about him and his talents, so don't require any enlightened answer from me.

Yet I know there are families with Fragile X kids, possibly way poorer than the Benoits (with jobs less paid than a WWE entertainer), who still manage to live on somehow, without slaughtering each other in the powerless rage.

Anarky
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
And again, you're talking in unknowns.
Everyone in here is talking in unknowns, including the people using yellow font. Just count the Couldas, Wouldas and Shouldas in your posts.

The reason why I'm interjecting here is that I don't want to see this thread locked because some hacks decide to slit each others virtual throats in a thread about something that has enough death in it already. If you really want to have a go at it, please use The Official Technodrome Fighting League! (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/private.php?do=newpm) - Where you can smite your Enemies with all your might!

X
06-28-2007, 12:22 PM
That's why I don't use personal attacks, outside of telling Zarius what is like having kids, Anarky. Internet fighting isn't my cup of tea, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Krow you stated -

"Furthermore, although seeking professional help about stress in his life would have been a good idea, where exactly would Benoit find the time to juggle family, work, and therapy with a work schedule like his? Wrestlers are away from home 300 days out of the year. Is 65 days, spent sporadically, enough to alleviate any burdens in your life? No, they're not."

- Where would Benoit find the time to juggle family = Retire on the money you've made for over a decade.

- Work = Find a new career if things are getting too heated. It's not like he's abnormal and cannot get any regular job like you and I.

- Therapy = eliminate both of the above, and make time. Family and health comes first, or it's common sense your body is going to take an emotional pounding, and the human heart can only take so much before it gives up. Be it in psycho fashion, or dying from stress overload. Can you believe I actually knew someone who died from the latter? Stress?

Sure I may not be a professional wrestler, but I was born with common sense, as was everyone else here, and everyone in the world. My common sense tells me, that if he were made to take Steroids, why would he use that extra muscle to find a career in wrestling? Oh maybe he just got into wrestling first, then found his supplier. If he had any condition before he started wrestling where a doctor prescribed Steroids to him, I doubt the WWE would just welcome him with open arms, and a ailment that needs medicine, that can alter a persons perception.

A good example if I may. I went to the doctor because to this day I have nose obstruction, which over the years it's getting harder and harder to breathe out of my nose, and I'm losing my sense of smell and taste, even as we speak. I've been to the doctor twice now (ENT or Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist.) He said the only way to get rid of the obstruction is to kill the Temperal Arteritis which requires a Steroid. However, twice now I was denied a Steroid to kill it. Why? Because I had high blood pressure going in there both times, and he said giving me it, will give me a stroke asap. He says I should lose a lot of the STRESS in my life.

So let's say Benoit was stressed out, which we all know he was, what with all the balancing. Him taking a Steroid would only give him a stroke, as stress will raise anyones blood pressure, which a steroid does as well, and is far more potent, then high blood pressure from stress, as a doctor stated to me.

So with that I assume he wasn't on roids when this happened, because he would've had to have been very mellowed out, to stay on it and keep from having a stroke. Someone who is in the middle of killing people are hardly calm I'd think. It's like any time I've been in fights, my heart races 100 MPH, and my adreniline is pumping, imagine what happens when you're going the next mile.

-X-

KROW
06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Everyone in here is talking in unknowns, including the people using yellow font. Just count the Couldas, Wouldas and Shouldas in your posts.
No sh*t. I'm not the one assuming things. Maybe you should read my posts instead of count the words.

Here are Rob Van Dam's comments from his MySpace page. Keep in mind that he's into all that yoga and meditation stuff:

Well, there's no need to wait until we have our heads wrapped around this, because I doubt that'll happen, so here it is. I know that a monster committed those terrible, unforgivable acts of horror. Just like everyone who knew Chris Benoit, I can't think of him as a monster. Not Chris.
Chris was truly a role model's role model. You simply had to respect him and admire his focus and unmatched discipline. If I ever got asked a question about who I looked up to the most in the business, you guessed it. That's me sharing a real feeling with you. Not talking about bull **** that I have little interest in, like who would I like most to wrestle with, or what's my favorite color, but who I actually looked up to in the dressing room. It's Chris Benoit- in the ring and in the dressing room and with his family.
The last time I talked to Chris, a few weeks ago, he told me how much he respected me for stepping away from the business. His message now comes to me from beyond. He said "Some of us don't know when to get out." I told him that I always held a little contempt for him telling me back in 1992 that I was a dumb-ass for wanting to quit WCW, and mentioned the irony.
Over the last several years, on overseas tours I'd always see Chris in the gym when the other guys were recovering from the night before. He'd train hard and sometimes I'd see him allowing young wrestlers to follow his lead and get a guaranteed killer workout. He took pride in what he did and set a great example for others, myself included, to follow.
How many murderers…baby murderers at that… are praised so highly by EVERYONE who knew them? This is all so bizarre and new information seems to come out every few hours but I can't imagine we'll ever understand what happened here. It appears that Chris took the answers with him. To tell you the honest truth, the easiest thing for me to believe at this moment is that if no frame work was involved, he was taken over by demonic energies with no compassion. I have to believe this is often the case with such inhumane acts.
Nancy, Daniel and Chris's tragic deaths obviously have affected a lot of people. Just remember, there's enough hate in this world. Hateful thoughts do not move us in the right direction, so make a conscious effort to remember that. It's important now and always.

Mr. Snackpants
06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I would deem him sick as in unwell, but not a nut-job.

And again, you're talking in unknowns. Maybe he wasn't financially well-off. His house was valued at $900,000, he made about $500,000 a year (much less than your average baseball, football, or basketball player), and the treatments needed to take care of his son cost who knows how much. Also, I'm not justifying nor defending him. I'm trying to garner an understanding here.

That's a good point. I forgot his kid was ill and I assumed they made more than 5 million a year.

I know there may be things we never know...about why Benoit did this. But I don't think there are any unknown facts that would make Benoit a "lesser evil"(?)...unless RVD is right.

But that's it for me...it's getting a little too testy in here for me.

X
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
"demonic energies with no compassion."

Sounds a lot like RVD believes in stuff we cannot or should not talk about here.

You know Krow, I can tell you now that talking with a producer named Don Murphy (producer of Transformers,) I asked him this question, "Is everyone fake in hollywood or are they really friends. Do they pose, only to talk smack behind each others backs." His reply was a simple, "yes." What I'm saying is that with celebrities, you never know what's real and what's not.

However lets say he means what he says, in which he probably could be coming from the heart, which is a good thing. He states that Benoit told him "some of us don't know when to get out." That's exatly what I've been trying to say. Was it love for the sport that he didn't know when things were going sour, or even cared enough to? No one knows, however that phrase says something. He obviously cared more for the sport, or money, then his family and his health. In essence, it makes me think more that he just lost his rocker, and it wasn't drugs.

Again, "what ever happened to just being crazy?" Even RVD said, "demonic energies with no compassion." Hence being crazy... Who would know him best then a fellow co-worker. Funny thing is, I'm sure he would've mentioned drugs and not demons, should he have felt the need to...

-X-

KROW
06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
He obviously cared more for the sport, or money, then his family and his health.
No, it's more of a matter of trying to juggle everything together and making it fit properly; a too much of a good thing type of situation.

Anarky
06-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Nobody likes to listen anymore? Awww... no more thread about a dead wrestler for anyone until at least tomorrow.

Krang
06-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Now that this thread has had some downtime to allow things to settle down, I think it's safe to reopen it. Like Anarky said earlier, let's please avoid personal attacks, or this thread will need to be locked again. And until more information is revealed, there's no point in speculating any further, so let's stick to discussing the facts until then.

Spitfire
06-30-2007, 03:30 AM
I read this on Comcast and was pretty surprised. I don't know him as a person or anything I just read him and his wife had issues. Hardly means he'd do that to her and his kid let alone.

Maybe I saw to much Millennium but I suspect something a little different went down in the residence then we originally thought.

GK Punk
06-30-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm wondering that now. Since his ex wife is swearing up and down there's no way he would have done this. I'm not saying that he didn't just that there has to be more than anyone knows.

KROW
06-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Also, the DEA raided Benoit's physician's office as well as his home. Now he's under investigation, too. They wouldn't say what drugs they found there, just that they had a warrant and confiscated some things.

On The Today Show, Vince McMahon was interviewed and basically said that nobody would know anything until the toxicology reports come back. He also was forced to defend his company on steroids and explain the Wellness Program that's in effect. NBC attributed steroids to the deaths of Guerrero, Hennig, Bulldog, and even Owen.

Linda McMahon was on Good Morning America saying the same things, but one thing she did say was that if Benoit needed time off, all he had to do was ask. What she did NOT say, however, was that there was a process wrestlers had to take to get that time off: fake an injury, follow a storyline, etc.

Jim Ross commented on the tragedy on his website, saying he was repulsed how the media are blowing things out of proportion and wishing that everyone would keep the facts in mind as they come about instead of jumping to conclusions and making accusations.

Now there's a brouhaha about Wikipedia starting.

Lady Venus
06-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Man, I'm gunna miss him so much.

ZariusTwo
06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
From Figure Four Weekly's message board:

-Dave confirmed he used a form of the Crippler Crossface on Daniel. This is interesting since Bryan was adamant that the story was ********. Apparently investigators found marks on the boys arm and face that they didn't understand and upon watching a tape of a Benoit match and seeing the move it made sense. They just said it was a "choke" as to not further sensationalize an already sensationalized story.

-Dave said Bryan was closer to Benoit (he found his writing hilarious) then he was and that Dave hardly ever talked to Chris (while Bryan [in the new F4W newsletter] seemed to indicate semi regular contact). Thought that was interesting as we rib Bryan about getting all his sources through Dave but I never thought he'd have more access to someone like Benoit then Dave.

-Benoit got a prescription for the anti-depressant Zoloft (not Xanax) at the doctor's visit on Friday.

-Benoit started going downhill after Eddy died because he lost the one guy who he could confide in and shared his problems with. Apparently close friends always knew Benoit had the same problems as Eddy (pills, etc.) and suggested Benoit seriously needed to see a therapist but no one suggested it since he wasn't the type to be open to that sort of thing.

-Apparently the death of Johnny Grunge hit Benoit even harder then Eddy since they were neighbors and him and Nancy fighting was somewhat common and he'd be the one to come over and defuse situations and make Chris laugh. After he died, Chris didn't have that buffer when things got out of control.

-Chris and Nancy had recently separated for a period of time, and Dave received a change of address form for an apartment different then their house (I believe Bryan mentioned he got a different address too).

-Chris recently opened up a new life insurance claim naming his ex-wife and his older 2 kids as the beneficiaries and refused to include Nancy or Daniel.

-When there were rumors of him leaving for TNA, Dave asked him about it and Chris was paranoid thinking Dave had inside info that WWE was going to release him. He apparently may have thought ECW was a demotion and the next step would be out the door. He was reportedly obsessed with establishing himself at the HHH/HBK level. He had grown increasingly paranoid that someone was out to get him and didn't let Nancy leave the house at night or Daniel to play outside and would take different routes from the airport home each time in case he was being followed.

-Nancy confided to a friend in wrestling days before the murders that she feared for her life and the friend told her to go take Daniel to her parents place in Florida (as she had done before when Chris became violent) but she didn't this time. Apparently she had a lockbox at the bank with notes indicating if something happened to her, it was Chris.

-Theory is that she told him she was leaving him for good and taking Daniel and that's when he snapped on her. Loved his son and when she filed for divorce all he wanted was joint custody. Theory is he killed Daniel because in his mind he couldn't bare to let him be alone without his parents and in his condition so it was a "mercy killing".

-Someone in WWE informed Dave before the RAW show that Chris had killed them, but others in the company were unaware but at least someone high up knew before the tribute show was put on the air.

-Dave says he can't write a proper obit/career retrospect and doesn't know if he ever will.

That's all I can think of for now. Pretty heavy stuff. Sounds like Chris always had a violent side, and that all the deaths of close friends combined with heavier drug use really caused him to lose his mind. Sad, sad end to such a fabulous career."

...Creepier stuff

VaughnMichael
06-30-2007, 05:19 PM
...Creepier stuff
oh my.:o :ohwell:

KROW
06-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I highly doubt that Benoit used his finishing move on his son. The marks on his arm were established as needle marks from his Fragile X treatments. The ones on his face are obviously of some other asphyxiating design.

Katie
06-30-2007, 11:01 PM
It's no excuse for what he did...but man. stress upon stress upon strees. That makes your mind play tricks on you.

And on a semi-related side note....I was treated with Zoloft after all the crap I went through last year.....they pulled me off it (after about a month) when I began to contemplate suicide. Coming off that stuff was the lowest low I have ever felt in my entire life. I wonder if they changed his perscription for the anit-depressants (Zoloft is also an anti anxiety med) and his system got out of whack?

Also PTSD comest to mind. When life changing thing after thing after thing hits you....One of the symptoms of PTSD is paranoia.

Shredder
07-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Man, this has been very upsetting to me since I first was shocked by this story on Monday. Chris Benoit has always been one of my favorite wrestlers and I am still having a hard time with the reality of this horrible situation sinking in. At first I felt a mix of emotions, but now, the whole thing just makes me feel very sad. It's such a huge waste- of three lives, first and foremost, but also of what he could have accomplished with the rest of his wrestling career. It also bothers me that we'll probably never entirely know why this happened, but maybe the toxicology reports will shed some light on this.

What I don't buy is the overly sensational crap like him using the crossface on his son. That article is suspicious to me and isn't consistent with what we've heard about the case so far. I do hope that more news comes out since I do agree that there's more to the story than what we know. At any rate, I wish so badly that this never happened and things could just be normal again. RIP Benoit family. :cry:

jeff the cheff
07-01-2007, 09:54 AM
That seems strange that he took his son and wife off his life insurance. I don't believe in the roid rage thing, the murders seem very pre meditated, just like Vince said.

Katie
07-02-2007, 07:06 PM
anything to do with life insurance, while providing a interesting look at his state of mind, wasn't a very effective thing for him to do. if you commit suicide, your policy is voided (just like if it is found that you murdered someone whose policy names you as a beneficiary you won't get proceeds.)

Actually, him changing his policy to his ex and older kids kind of makes me think he didn't intend to hurt anyone but himself at first. not everyone knows that suicide voids a policy....(I found out the hard way) and if current wife and kid were dead...why would it matter? you have to name secondary and terciary beneficiaries which in all liklihood were his older kids / family. Changing the policy to "leave them out of the will" so to speak would have been a slap from the grave.

this is very mysterious to me. the whole thing. the Wikipedia thing, the insurance....the more i hear the odder it is. And I don't really follow wrestling, this would have intrigued me if it had been any sensationalized case.

X
07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Someone I know told me some news about Benoits death being known before it happened, and something about a traced IP address back to the WWE headquarters.

This comes from a friend whos a news bookworm, always has his face plastered to the news so he can find new excuses to hate the government.

Is any of it true though, or are they still investigating that situation?

-X-

Krang
07-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Although it was reported in the news, the whole Wikipedia thing was revealed to be just a strange coincidence: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_mystery_editor_confesses:_claims_%22t errible_coincidence%22

X
07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Ahh I see... Good to know no conspiracy is at play.

-X-

KROW
07-05-2007, 10:20 AM
There's more garbage floating around about drug use concerning this tragedy thanks to the media, even more so due to comments from Bruce Hart. He claims that from his experience in the wrestling business, he's known guys whose bodies have begun to break down after steroid use around age 40. Liver and kidney failure were some of the side effects, he says. He also claims that Benoit couldn't separate his wrestler persona from his real life -- kind of a thin claim since the man used his real name and personality in his career.

Things got worse because of the media's involvement. Recently I saw a piece on Hannity & Colmes interviewing Debra Marshall (Steve Austin's ex) and Bill DeMott (pro wrestler). Basically, the only thing Hannity and Colmes were interested in talking about were steroids and degrading the wrestling business. Debra only wanted to get noticed on TV after being lost in obscurity so long from what I've seen. She barked that she wanted to help the industry. Bull. If that were true, then she wouldn't have fought with DeMott on the air and she also wouldn't have degraded her ex-husband Austin. She, plain and simple, is still sore about her life with Austin, claiming that he couldn't differentiate wrestler from man, either. DeMott pointed out why she didn't come out with that statement 5 years earlier, as well as why no one brought drug use to light 5 years ago. He went on saying that the only person who knew the mind of Chris Benoit was Chris Benoit and pointing fingers isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Of course, no one listened to him.

And as proof that Hannity & Colmes only cared about steroids in this story, after these "interviews," they promoted the next topic, which was a look at human growth hormones.

Wingnut
07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I am scared that the image of the industry (pro wrestling) will be "The business that produced Chris Benoit...The wrestler that killed his family." It also scares me that out of 15 years of really keeping up with wrestling I don't think I can remember a wrestling related story that was talked about more by the public. Owen Hart, maybe. But from my experiences most people that didn't follow wrestling were more interested in finding footage of his demise than the career of Owen Hart.

People can bat an eye at the most of bad things that happen in pro wrestling, the botched moves that ruin lives, the steroid related deaths of multiple superstars, and hell even the struggle that is being a pro wrestler. Most people can and have brushed these things off mostly because someone who doesn't follow wrestling doesn't care. They expect death,injury and struggle to come to people who make a living throwing themselves off ladders and diving from turnbuckles . But when a wrestler kills his family, we're in a whole new ballpark so to speak. People CAN relate to the death of a family member, that effects everyone.

KROW
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
More garbage is being thrown around on this tragedy. Instead of posting all of it, I'll just post this link (http://www.legendschampionshipwrestling.com/) and have people read through it for themselves.

I'll just say that I applaud Bill DeMott and Kevin Nash and highly respect them more now.

Raph's Girl
07-13-2007, 11:00 PM
The funeral for Nancy and Daniel Benoit will be held on Saturday at 1PM in Daytona Beach, FL at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.

Nancy's family has opened a Nancy & Daniel Benoit Foundation for Battered Women and Abused Children at c/o Decker, Hallman, Barber and Briggs, 260 Peachtree St., #1700, Atlanta, GA 30303.

Leogeddon
07-13-2007, 11:39 PM
i'm still reeling from the utter shock... I can't believe this... I just also found a famous diving instructor was found dead... i'm guessing that's also old news, im slow when it comes to media because I don't watch TV anymore. I would watch a few channels... If I had them anyways... I just watch DVDs now.

KROW
07-14-2007, 05:06 PM
I just want to remind people that are interested that this link (http://www.legendschampionshipwrestling.com/), although the site is fantasy-wrestling-based, is reliable and is always updated. With that said, I'd like to show a video that might cool some heads and bring things to light thanks to wrestler Ken Kennedy.

l1i6ieKm_SA

Bravo, Kennedy. Bravo.

Jo Dawn
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Breaking news as I type. (I'll be editing as it goes on.)

Daniel was drugged with Xanax before his death. That fairly much rules out a 'crime of passion' case. He drugged him so he didn't know what he was doing. Nancy had three different drugs in her (Xanax hydrocodone and hydromorphone), and Benoit had high level of steroid testosterone, as well as Xanax and Hydrocodone.

Boy, if this isn't a Poster Case for never taking steroids... I dunno what is. Though they haven't said it was the steroids (actually the opposite)... that would be enough to scare me off of the stuff. Just the possibility that this could potentially make you think of doing something like this. I mean, if an athlete were thinking of taking it, I'd really have to tell them to think of their family. Sadly, they believe we will never know just why it all happened.

Right now, it's plain murder, as it had to be planned and was not in any moment of passion.

GK Punk
07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
They are saying there was no anabolic steroids, but a high level of Testosterone. (Which I thought went hand in hand) Maybe he was on some other form of steroid?

Raph's Girl
07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Article I found:
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=83c4d7c4-d1e8-4f16-93c1-a5b5c0f87412&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

The test results are in and the suspicions confirmed: Chris Benoit had steroids in his system when he murdered his wife and child and then took his own life.

The anxiously awaited toxicology findings on the wrestler and his family were announced Tuesday by Dr. Kris Sperry, chief medical examiner for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

While the only steroid found in Benoit's was testosterone, the levels were elevated enough to indicate he was injecting it shortly before he died, Sperry said. But he cautioned that the results do not indicate the kind of abuse that may have triggered so-called 'roid rage.

"There's no way to know how this could’ve affected Chris’ behavior," Sperry told reporters at a press conference. "With respect to testosterone...There is nothing conclusive that could be said."

Sperry cited conflicting data from studies regarding how elevated levels of testosterone might contribute to altered behavior. He also noted that Benoit might have been taking testosterone just as easily for "testicular deficiency."

Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, has been charged with improperly prescribing drugs to patients other than the former wrestling champ. Astin, who has pleaded not guilty, came under scrutiny from federal officials after admitting to prescribing testosterone to Benoit.

The World Wrestling Entertainment has tried to downplay the steroid angle since the murder-suicide and has previously stated that Benoit tested clean for steroids as well as testosterone as recently as April. On Tuesday, the company pointed out that the toxicology results came up negative for anabolic steroids, but acknowledged that one of its biggest draws had been taking testosterone.

"It would appear that Mr. Benoit took testosterone sometime after his April 2007 test and the time he died. WWE understands that his dealings with Dr. Astin are currently being investigated, and WWE has no knowledge of whether Dr. Astin prescribed testosterone for Mr. Benoit at some point after the April 2007 tests," the company said in a statement.

The WWE also noted that it had launched an initiative last year shows to test its entertainers. "We believe our wellness program is at the very least comparable to those of professional sports and is a program that will benefit WWE Superstars for generations to come," the statement concluded.

Meanwhile, the coroner said "highly elevated levels" of the prescription drug Xanax were discovered in the body of Benoit's seven-year-old son, Daniel.

"There’s clear evidence to me that Daniel Benoit was sedated at the time he was killed," added Sperry. "That's an unusual finding."

Sperry also said the child appeared normal and that it was impossible to conduct any kind of genetic test to determine whether Daniel suffered from fragile X syndrome. A WWE official claimed the boy required growth hormones for the disorder—something vociferously denied by surviving family. The coroner also said that there wasn't any urine available to determine whether growth hormoes were in Daniel's system.

Three prescription drugs were also found in the body of Nancy Benoit: hydrocodone, hydormorphone and Xanax, but all were at "therapeutic levels" and were likely prescribed for orthopedic ailments.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said the investigation will remain "ongoing" to determine why the 40-year-old pro grappler strangled his 43-year-old wife to death in their suburban Atlanta home, and then smothered his son the next day before hanging himself.

GK Punk
07-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah I'm getting confused here. SOme of the reports I've read said no Steroids, others say he did have them.

Edit: And on Nancy Grace they were just talking about how he had elevated Testosterone levels, but no Steroids. Now I'm going to go bash my head in to a wall.

Jo Dawn
07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Hmm, I've never seen a report yet that didn't say he didn't have steroids in him. Testosterone caused by steroids. But, maybe it changed, who knows.

And I'm reading Raph'sGirl's post (pretty much a longer version of mine, lol, with actual names added in ;) )... and I don't recognize alot of what the examiner said... and I watched the whole thing. So I'm kinda confused.

KROW
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Benoit had a form of steroids in his system that increased his testosterone level, but did not have anabolic or any other form of steroids. He also had Xanex (an anti-depressant) and Hydrocodone (a painkiller) in his body. Out of the three, the only high level in his system was the testosterone. He was also tested for blood alcohol, which came out to zero.

Nancy had 3 different drugs in her system: Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, and Xanex. All 3 drugs are at a therapeutic level and not toxic.

Daniel's blood tested positive for Xanex at 100 micrograms per liter, which is elevated for a child and not a drug that would be given to one. Based upon this finding, it is the opinion of the GBI that Daniel was sedated by Xanex at the time of his death.

So, plain and simple, this was not due to "Roid Rage."

As a matter of fact, there are now theories and rumors that this whole thing isn't even a double-murder suicide, but a possible triple-homicide.

Leave some room at that wall for me, Michi.

KROW
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I know this is a month old, but new crap has surfaced in this toilet of tragedy and rather than start a new topic just to have it merged here, I'm continuing where we all left off on the subject.

ATLANTA (AP) — The future of pro wrestler Chris Benoit's millions could come down to the timing of a horrible crime: Did Benoit — having taken high doses of steroids — strangle his wife and then their young son before killing himself, or did the boy die first?

Lawyers for Benoit's mother-in-law, Maureen Toffoloni, filed a petition last week asking a court to determine the order of the deaths, which could affect whether she gets any of the estate.

Neither Benoit nor his wife left a will, so the death order could mean the difference in whether Toffoloni or Benoit's children from a previous marriage inherit the two homes, several bank and investment accounts and other assets estimated to be worth millions. Lawyers in the case declined Wednesday to provide an exact value.

Investigators have repeatedly said that Benoit killed his wife, then their son and himself during the weekend of June 22.

District Attorney Scott Ballard has said the wrestler used a cord to strangle his wife, then killed his son with a choke hold, then placed Bibles next to the bodies and hanged himself on a piece of exercise equipment.

Under that scenario, the estate would pass to Benoit's surviving two children, who live in Canada with their mother, said Cary Ichter, an attorney for Benoit's father, Michael.

But if the boy was killed first and then the wife, under Georgia law at least some of the estate would pass to Toffoloni, lawyers in the case said.

That's because of a forfeiture statute that takes into account the fact that Benoit was the killer. As such, the law for purposes of estate distribution would consider Benoit to have died before his wife and son.

Ichter said that if the boy was killed first, the estate would pass to the wife and, since she was killed, it would then pass to her family. But he noted that police don't believe that is how it happened.

Richard Decker, an attorney for Toffoloni, of Daytona Beach, Fla., said he doesn't believe the order of deaths is clear. He said he is asking the Fayette County court to make a determination based on the law "and not what we hear on TV."

Investigators have not given a motive for the killings, but the question of whether steroids played a role has lingered. Anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, and tests showed Benoit had roughly 10 times the normal level of testosterone in his system when he died.

Besides the Fayetteville home, estimated to be worth $1.5 million to $3.5 million, the Benoits had a home in nearby Peachtree City, which was for sale for $400,000 at the time of the killings, according to Decker. The house was not sold and has since been taken off the market, he said.

A probate court hearing over the appointment of estate administrators is scheduled for Aug. 28, Ichter said.

Ballard did not return a call Wednesday seeking comment. A spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation declined to comment

SOURCE (http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-08-15-benoit-estate_N.htm?csp=34)

Apparently now there's a debate on the order of deaths, when we all thought it was established that Nancy died before Daniel. Ugh.

I feel that most, if not all, of his financial earnings should go to the children he left behind, with his wife's family receiving funds to cover the funeral costs and any legal fees they're currently accruing. That's just me, though.

ZariusTwo
09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Its been confirmed, Benoit had brain damage

WCF Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Asylum Inmate
Member No.: 1,016

The father of Chris Benoit and a doctor who examined brain matter from the former pro wrestler said Wednesday that brain damage caused by multiple concussions might have contributed to the deaths of Benoit, his wife and his son.

Authorities say Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, on June 22 and then killed their son, Daniel, the next day before taking his own life at their Fayetteville home.

Dr. Julian Bailes, chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at West Virginia University and a founding member of the Sports Legacy Institute, told ABC's Good Morning America Wednesday that damage to the wrestler's brain was "striking and maybe shocking."

Bailes showed images of Benoit's brain matter, and said the images showed "dead brain cells" and damage that mimicked that found in Alzheimer's patients.

He said his study had found brain damage that was "very abnormal and something you shouldn't see in a 40-year-old."

Asked whether previous concussions could have led to the damage, Bailes said, "We think we have great anatomical damage here from previous trauma," Bailes said. "Whether it had a psychiatric or behavioral expression, we certainly think that's most likely."

Benoit's father, Michael Benoit, said his son suffered "quite a number" of concussions during his wrestling career.

"Our research has shown that three major concussions may be the threshhold that serious later consequences may occur," Bailes said.

The Sports Legacy Institute, a research group founded to study degenerative brain conditions caused by repetitive brain injuries, planned a late-morning press conference in New York to release the findings of the study on Benoit's brain.

In July, a GBI toxicology report showed Benoit had highly elevated levels of testosterone. But medical experts warned against automatically assuming that steroids were responsible for Benoit's alleged murder of his wife and son.

...Hate to say it, but this is the definition of "someone with brain damage can wrestle better than John Cena"

KROW
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Damn. That is shocking, if nothing else. I'm surprised that it wasn't detected sooner. Or maybe it was, but Benoit didn't want to lose his career over it.

Buslady
09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
So it is worth risking one's health and well being for money and that big fat "championship" belt?
This so called "Pro-Wrestling" sport where big steroid pumped up men clobber each other worth it; worth destroying your brain or any other part of your body? It's not even what wrestling really is! It's not even close, so they need to call it something else other than the sport of wrestling. Wrestlers don't beat each over the head with chairs, jump on each other, drop them on their heads...it's a bad sport if these guys are going to end up so bad because of their head injuries that they go kill themselves, and/or others.

Raph's Girl
09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
So basically he was nuts cuz of too many hits to the head. Ah Dain Brammage er Brain Damage... Homer Simpson syndrome.

GK Punk
09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
So it is worth risking one's health and well being for money and that big fat "championship" belt?
This so called "Pro-Wrestling" sport where big steroid pumped up men clobber each other worth it; worth destroying your brain or any other part of your body? It's not even what wrestling really is! It's not even close, so they need to call it something else other than the sport of wrestling. Wrestlers don't beat each over the head with chairs, jump on each other, drop them on their heads...it's a bad sport if these guys are going to end up so bad because of their head injuries that they go kill themselves, and/or others.

Yeah, because every pro-wrestler in on steroids, and they all murder their families and eachother. This obviously happens all the time. right.

Katie
09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I saw some of the slides of his actual brain tissue from the autopsy today on TV. They were comparing them to images of folks who died of demensia and Altzheimer's. It looked exactly the same.

My great grandma had altzheimers. I remember going over to feed her every day (cause she would forget) and one day while we were there she picked up a kitchen chair and threw it at my great grandfather. Unfortunately aggression is one of the symptoms of stage 2 Altzheimers. That was what they were comparing his brain tissue to. a stage 2 altzheimer's patient.

Peanut
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, because every pro-wrestler in on steroids, and they all murder their families and eachother. This obviously happens all the time. right.

Typical person who knows dick all about the industry, dude.

Buslady
09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I ain't saying they're ALL on drugs, but alot of them are. They can deny it all that wanna, there are some that do.

ThirdMarioBro
09-05-2007, 08:32 PM

Dear lord, that statement is shallow, narrow minded, and downright insulting. Wrestling is a sport, and every sport has corrupt athletes who cheat themselves (and others) by going the easy route and taking steroids. Wrestling may have had a bad year, but don't condemn the majority who are honest people doing a job just because one person went apesh*t.

GK Punk
09-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Of course, but that can be said for every industry. There was a school bus Driver in my area arrested for driving under the influence of Cocaine. We shouldn't run around screaming that all Bus drivers do that, because obviously that's not true.

Kurt Cobain was a heroine addict. It doesn't mean all musicians are. I could keep going but you get the idea.

KROW
09-05-2007, 10:40 PM
The sad thing is, most of the wrestlers that are spotlighted and hyped on the TV shows are/were using some form of steroids. Hogan, Graham, Warrior, Guerrero; alot of the greats and memorable guys had taken something. It's only natural for someone to generalize like that.

One thing I'm hard to tolerate is when people say that professional wrestling, or "sports entertainment," is not a sport. That's basically just wrong. These guys train, they spar, they use athleticism, and quite honestly, the business is one of the most evident of sportsmanship than any other.

Sewer Bull
09-06-2007, 01:20 AM
One thing I'm hard to tolerate is when people say that professional wrestling, or "sports entertainment," is not a sport. That's basically just wrong. These guys train, they spar, they use athleticism, and quite honestly, the business is one of the most evident of sportsmanship than any other.

Same thing with combat reenactments and war dances, you know. Sport is all about competition and rivalry - something that can hardly be found in any theatrical mock combat.

And Buslady is right in one point - if any sporting business leads to deaths of so many relatively young people, then there is something terribly wrong with it. And I'm not talking about pro wrestling only - it concerns any type of sport discipline where deaths occur more often than anywhere else.

ZariusTwo
09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
I ain't saying they're ALL on drugs, but alot of them are. They can deny it all that wanna

More like suspend them all they want to, dock them without pay all they want to, bury them all they want to etc...

You can shut up now.

jeff the cheff
09-06-2007, 07:32 AM
I used to really like pro wrestling, but then I got into real sports where the outcome isn't already decided.

GK Punk
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
It's like I always said, the only thing worse than a wrestling fan is a non wrestling fan.

The Non-Fan will sit on a high horse and pretend he's better than a fan because he knows it's pre-determined.

The fan will still enjoy himself watching it, even though he knows it is. Just like every other show on TV.

Non-Fans also tend to troll for attention.

Get over yourself.

KROW
09-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Same thing with combat reenactments and war dances, you know. Sport is all about competition and rivalry - something that can hardly be found in any theatrical mock combat.

Yeah, okay. Any random jabroni can wear a uniform and point a howitzer -- it doesn't mean you're athletic or need to train to do it. Bottom line is: even though pro wrestlers are chummy with each other backstage doesn't mean they're not competitive and don't have rivalries sans the scripting.

It's a sport. If anyone says it isn't, than I point them at golf, darts, sailing, figure-skating, running, bowling, and boxing and tell them to choke on their indifference.

GK Punk
09-06-2007, 08:00 AM
It's a sport in the way that they are athletic, and several of them come from other sports, such as Football or Wrestling in to Pro-Wrestling. It's not a s port in the sense of competition.

But I guess that's a little arguable. You really do have to "compete" to get to the top of the card and become a big name. It has nothing to do with win/loss records, but being good at what you do matters in that way.

KROW
09-06-2007, 08:19 AM
It's a sport in the way that they are athletic, and several of them come from other sports, such as Football or Wrestling in to Pro-Wrestling. It's not a s port in the sense of competition.

But I guess that's a little arguable. You really do have to "compete" to get to the top of the card and become a big name. It has nothing to do with win/loss records, but being good at what you do matters in that way.
That's what I mean. Even though they don't compete in the ring per se, they still have to work hard to become a top figure in the business and overshadow the other guys. It's a bit like how All-Stars are picked and awards and trophies are given. Who's the best? Who's worked the hardest? Who's the guy that can be worthy to be showcased in this fashion?

ZariusTwo
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I used to really like pro wrestling, but then I got into real sports where the outcome isn't already decided.

...What the hell is your point troll? We all KNOW it's choreographed and scripted, thats not entirely what wrestling is and you have to be pig-headed to not only post inane s*it like that

Back to watching your politically gridlocked games of breaking people in the ring for real with harder, unrestricted punches hypocrite.

Peanut
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
You know, I used to be an insanely gigantic fan of Pro Wrestling, but have fallen off all but completely in the last couple years. And even though I don't really care about defending it to ignorant people like I used to, I still find all of the non-fan comments in here completely irritating and nonsensical.

Just because wrestling is scripted, it can't be called a "real" sport? What is a real sport then? If directly competing against another person is the only thing considered a sport, then why is golf a sport? The only thing you compete against in golf is the wind and your own stupid mistakes. You're not in direct competition with someone else. The same can be said for just about every sport at the Olympic Games. All you're trying to do is out-perform another person, which is EXACTLY WHAT PRO-WRESTLING IS ALL ABOUT. Being the best performer.

So, people can say pro-wrestling isn't a real sport all they like, but statements like that are born out of pure ignorance and idiocy.

jeff the cheff
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Didn't know you all would get so defensive about it. I was just saying my opinion, I know everyone knows it's predetermined, I used to be a fan when I was younger. I don't think my opinion on wrestling not being a sport is so off. Working your way up to be the best is something in common with sports, but it's not only found in sports. I compare wrestling to acting, whoever is the best actor/wrestler gets the best job and the most exposure, just like in the movie business. Performing and competing with other people is a part of any job or game, not just sports.

I should probably stop talking about this in this thread, because it's not really on topic. I think there is another thread where I can argue, discuss, and disagree, (or as some people call it, "trolling") but it would be in a WWF/WWE thread, and hopefully not in the "sports talk" thread.

P.S: I'm not a golfer, but golfers do compete with other people. Theres tournaments, playoffs, and points....it's just like in happy gilmore.

The Stryker
09-06-2007, 02:44 PM
So basically he was nuts cuz of too many hits to the head. Ah Dain Brammage er Brain Damage... Homer Simpson syndrome.

LOLZ, You so funny!

Sewer Bull
09-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Non-Fans also tend to troll for attention.

Get over yourself.

...What the hell is your point troll? We all KNOW it's choreographed and scripted, thats not entirely what wrestling is and you have to be pig-headed to not only post inane s*it like that

Back to watching your politically gridlocked games of breaking people in the ring for real with harder, unrestricted punches hypocrite.

So, people can say pro-wrestling isn't a real sport all they like, but statements like that are born out of pure ignorance and idiocy.

Wow. So much violence and personal attacks. Just plain superb, especially since none of us non-fans has attacked anyone personally so far and all we get in return is a blind bashing coming from the avid wrestling supporters EDIT: and some slightly despising remarks coming from one "neither a fan nor a supporter". Maybe all this theoretical fragment (that doesn't concern Chris Benoit) should be split to another thread so we could have our own ring fight over there, between fans and non-fans? All scripted and pre-determined of course.

Since when having a different opinion counts as 'trolling', anyway? I haven't noticed people coming to that "Pro Wrestling Discussion" thread and bashing the sole idea of pro wrestling, as there are only fans commenting the recent encounters. The rest of this board just happens to respect their little shrine and tries to not interfere with it.

But this thread is much different, we are talking about Benoit case, which is of great public interest. That's why some people question the idea of true sportsmanship behind this industry. And no one is saying that just to piss you off.

And last but not least - about the "sport" terminology that seems to be rather controversial - some of us just prefer it non-scheduled, with a streak of luck or momentary lapses of attention - or with the said mistaked made. Some people just like the REAL drama behind the competition.

But whatever floats your boat.

Peanut
09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Too bad I'm neither a fan nor a supporter then, right?

Sewer Bull
09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Ouch. My bad. Corrected it to stay as true as possible.

jeff the cheff
09-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Maybe all this theoretical fragment (that doesn't concern Chris Benoit) should be split to another thread so we could have our own ring fight over there, between fans and non-fans? All scripted and pre-determined of course.

The thread can be called "Pro wrestling isn't a sport vs. I'm gonna lay the smackdown on all you jabroni's who think otherwise."

GK Punk
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
And I wasn't talking to Sewer Bull either. In fact, I didn't even see any of his posts before that one above me. But whatever. Throw your fit, have fun.

Ecto Jedi
09-06-2007, 09:26 PM
It's a sport. If anyone says it isn't, than I point them at golf, darts, sailing, figure-skating, running, bowling, and boxing and tell them to choke on their indifference.

Wait...Tell me again why boxing isn't a sport? Is it the actual competition, the mind games constantly being played, or the in-depth strategy and real technique needed to win that's throwing you off?

GK Punk
09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I think, but I could be wrong as I'm not him, he may be refering to the fact a lot of people believe boxing to be fixed these days. I could be wrong, I'm just guessing.

Krang
09-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Since when having a different opinion counts as 'trolling', anyway?
It's not the opinions that count as trolling, it's the time and place of comments like those. In the forum rules, trolling is defined as "posting with the intention of upsetting people and/or starting arguments." What sort of reaction do you suppose someone who goes into a thread about a wrestler and ridicules pro wrestling in general is going for?

Now, let's get back on topic, please.

ZariusTwo
09-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Krang is right. The issue was also off the subject of Benoit's health and what he was suffering from. Some elitists really dont have much time to do anything else.

KROW
09-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Wait...Tell me again why boxing isn't a sport? Is it the actual competition, the mind games constantly being played, or the in-depth strategy and real technique needed to win that's throwing you off?

I just want to answer this question real quick.

I do consider boxing a sport. I think that boxing and wrestling are similar in a lot of ways: the athletes train, spar, and compete physically inside a ring with an official, not to mention the factors you've stated already. What I was driving at is since they're so alike, then one can't really consider boxing a sport while secluding wrestling at the same time. The other activities I mentioned were basically a way of saying that if you categorize those (like darts, figure-skating, swimming, etc.) as a sport, then there's no justification of saying wrestling isn't.

Okay, just wanted to clear that up. Didn't mean to stray there.

Alright, on-topic now, the WWE has issued a statement after Benoit's father said earlier that he wished Chris would have been in an organization that takes the health care of its employees more seriously.

The statement read:
"Today's attempt to explain that Chris Benoit's murder of his family was possibly caused by some form of dementia as a result of alleged concussions is speculative. WWE can certainly understand the anguish of a father having to deal with the fact that his son allegedly murdered his wife and young son, as Chris Benoit is alleged to have done. We respect the desire of that father to do whatever he can to find some explanation as to why his son might commit such horrible acts."

Basically, what the WWE is saying is, "We know you're hurt, but don't blame us," which is what the company seems to be saying a lot these days.

Jennifer McIntosh, a spokesperson for WWE was quoted as saying that WWE found, "no medical records of [Benoit] suffering a concussion. We don't have any answers as to why Chris did what he did. We're still awaiting the law enforcement investigation to be concluded."

Also, there's still people out there who think Benoit didn't do it. Coupled with the fact that the word, "alleged" is persistently being used in this situation -- and that there's still investigating going on -- makes them even more convinced.

Buslady
09-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Of course, but that can be said for every industry. There was a school bus Driver in my area arrested for driving under the influence of Cocaine. We shouldn't run around screaming that all Bus drivers do that, because obviously that's not true.

Kurt Cobain was a heroine addict. It doesn't mean all musicians are. I could keep going but you get the idea.

Yeah thats true, there are bus drivers who are complete losers.

My statement simply says many 'wrestlers' are on something, NOT ALL.
This "wrestling" isn't true wrestling. I don't see many grappling holds, mostly people jumping on each other. I see showboat flashing their personas, and going by a script with their threats and cheap shots. It's entertainment sport.
I never said it's not an actual sport...it's not a true form of wrestling. It's well known it's scripted stuff. Go to a high school tournament, that's wrestling. Go watch the next Olympics, that's wrestling.
I used to watch and enjoy this stuff so don't tell me I've never watched it or have completely no clue, me and my uncle would laugh our heads off at these guys and it was fun. Hogan's my favorite, I'm glad he didn't get worse and do harm to others.

jeff the cheff
09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I really think this should split into another thread because I think we're getting at a really interesting discussion, and I'd like to continue it.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I just want to answer this question real quick.

I do consider boxing a sport. I think that boxing and wrestling are similar in a lot of ways: the athletes train, spar, and compete physically inside a ring with an official, not to mention the factors you've stated already. What I was driving at is since they're so alike, then one can't really consider boxing a sport while secluding wrestling at the same time. The other activities I mentioned were basically a way of saying that if you categorize those (like darts, figure-skating, swimming, etc.) as a sport, then there's no justification of saying wrestling isn't.

Okay, just wanted to clear that up. Didn't mean to stray there.

The big difference between boxing and wrestling, is that when boxers are training for a match, they aren't just training by getting into the best shape they can, like in wrestling. They are studying their opponent and strategizing. They watch tapes of their opponents and study their moves and their styles. I'm sure something similar happens in wrestling, but its not the same. Wrestlers don't have any strategy as far as the actual fight goes, they pretty much know exactly whats going to happen (as far as I know). I'm sure they spend a lot of time practicing their moves so it comes out the way they want it to, but its the strategy thats not there.

So in other words, preparing for a wrestling match is more like preparing for a play or an act. They are practicing their act in order to put on the best show possible.

ZariusTwo
09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I really think this should split into another thread because I think we're getting at a really interesting discussion, and I'd like to continue it.

Split it then, because this isnt the time or place for further instigating on your behalf, and its such a dated cliche to "defend" wrestling when it really doesnt need to be. People either accept it for what it is and be sneered at, or people simply fail to "get it" and they are sneered at.

Thanks for blatantly disregarding Krang's suggestion we all get back on topic by the way. THAT, is what I would call additional trolling.

Benoit's head trauma was clearly not due to an "act", do you READ this thread when you mouth off this crap?

jeff the cheff
09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Split it then, because this isnt the time or place for further instigating on your behalf, and its such a dated cliche to "defend" wrestling when it really doesnt need to be. People either accept it for what it is and be sneered at, or people simply fail to "get it" and they are sneered at.

Thanks for blatantly disregarding Krang's suggestion we all get back on topic by the way. THAT, is what I would call additional trolling.

Benoit's head trauma was clearly not due to an "act", do you READ this thread when you mouth off this crap?

I did read this thread, almost the whole thing. I read that Benoit had head trauma that most likely led to the tragedy, I never thought it was because of roid rage, and I don't believe that all or even most of wrestlers take steroids. As far as his head trauma not being due to an "act", I still think it is from an act. It was him acting as a character that he isn't in real life, acting out story lines, and acting fights. I know that they are in danger of being injured all the time, but possibility of injury doesn't mean its a real fight.

I don't think I disregarded Krang's suggestion, but I asked for the topic to be split. I'm not going to start the thread on my own because then it wouldn't have the previous discussions in it. But if fans want to get really sensitive about anyone bad mouthing their "sport", and don't want to defend it, then I guess there is no point in splitting this.

GK Punk
09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, I don't care if someone says that it's fake or pre-determined. I only get mad if they say it in a manner that is degrading to wrestling fans, like you are talking down to them. There's no call for that. If you really want the thread split to talk about it, I'll do that. As long as you are really wanting it to discuss it and not talk down to people.

BubblyShell22
09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Even though most people say wrestling is fake, injuries do happen. Look at Triple H tearing two quadriceps muscles. Things like this do happen. Benoit even had a disc fragment into his spine during a ladder match. Yes, the storylines are scripted, but some of the moves are real and can lead to injury if not done properly.

GK Punk
09-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Even when done properly they can. It's like DDP says You can fake a feud, script a match, but you can't fake gravity.

BubblyShell22
09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
That is so true. And DDP is my all time favorite wrestler. I'm sad he's retired. I won't get to see him wrestle anymore.

GK Punk
09-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah, DDP is one of my favorites.

BubblyShell22
09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Sweet! I'm always happy to meet a fellow DDP fan. It seems we have a lot more in common than just TMNT. We also like Winx Club and DDP. That is so awesome.

What was one of your favorite DDP moments?

KROW
09-15-2007, 07:35 AM
New development.

ATLANTA - Journal entries written by wrestler Chris Benoit show he was wracked with grief and preoccupied with death after his best friend died in 2005, according to a lawyer representing Benoit's father.

Benoit, who killed his wife and 7-year-old son and committed suicide in June, wrote the diary as a series of letters to the friend, fellow wrestler Eddie Guerrero, according to lawyer Cary Ichter, who represents the wrestler's father in estate litigation.

Benoit's father, Michael Benoit, referred to the diary earlier this month, saying it was "written by someone who was extremely disturbed at the time." The father has said murder-suicide was out of character for his son and supported medical tests that recently showed Chris Benoit suffered brain damage that could have caused depression and irrational behavior.

Authorities say anabolic steroids were found in the home and Chris Benoit had a high amount of synthetic testosterone in his body when he died, leading to some speculation that steroid-induced rage sparked the killings.

Ichter, who said he knew Benoit for years, described what he said were Benoit's writings but he did not make copies of the journal available for review.

Ichter noted that at one point Benoit wrote to his friend, "I will be with you soon," an apparent nod to his own mortality.

"It showed that he was very depressed," Ichter said of the entries.

Benoit also wrote warmly about his son, Daniel, and his wife, Nancy, who had given him the journal as a way to cope with Guerrero's death, the lawyer said.

Prosecutors have said Benoit, 40, strangled his wife with a cord, used a choke hold to strangle his son placed Bibles next to the bodies and hanged himself on exercise equipment the weekend of June 22.

Ichter said a neighbor of the Benoits found the journal in the trash after the police and family had left the Benoits' house, and the neighbor gave it to Michael Benoit. He is permanent administrator to Chris Benoit's estate, and Ichter said the journal could become evidence in the estate litigation.

Authorities have said it could be months before the court determines the heirs, since neither Chris nor Nancy Benoit had a will. Whether Nancy Benoit died before Daniel will determine whether control of millions of dollars goes to Chris Benoit's two children from a previous marriage or to relatives on Nancy Benoit's side.

SOURCE (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070914/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_death)

==========

I knew Benoit was racked with grief over Eddie, but I never thought it had this much of a hold over him.

GK Punk
09-15-2007, 08:53 AM
They were like brothers, so I guess it makes sense. Still rather shocking though.

BubblyShell22
09-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah, it is. I know it had to be hard for Benoit, but I never knew he was in this much pain. He should've been in counseling for this.

GK Punk
09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
It's a shame he kept it bottled up. Maybe this could have been avoided...

BubblyShell22
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
It could have been avoided if he'd sought help. However, he decided not to talk about this, and here are the results. It's sad nonetheless though.