PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons Movie - Please Use Spoiler Tags

ZariusTwo
07-26-2007, 11:12 AM
The film has been released in the UK, and I recently watched it

...Well, one big blown oppertunity, but an enjoyable one nonetheless. the writers balance the comedy out with the kind of shock humour you would see in the recent episodes with the older seasons more subtle and less blatantly explained and exploited comedy.

At least two to three EXCELLENT and very well handled reminders of the show's sophistication were Marge's video farwell to Homer (the emotional wrench is she taped over their wedding to state she can't say "I love you" and she's left for good), the ending where the two make up and embrace on the bike amongst the falling leaves, and Flanders and Bart's bonding.

Flanders almost stole the film with his likeable "surrogate" role he had with a Bart reminiscent of his older characteristics, it was a real tour de force by Hank and it makes up for the waste of Mr. Burns (TWO scenes, and one is in the end credits, ridiculous)

The sandpit vortex worked for the Dome escape, but sucking in the entire Simpsons house? Did'nt like it. Lisa's boyfriend was a non-factor and existed only to give her extra lines in a film that was almost entirely about Homer and his own problems.

Vicky82
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Saw The Simpsons and Transformers today. I saw The Simpsons film first and I did enjoy it and had a good laugh but I felt I was watching a episode, then When I saw Transformers I loved it, it was a brilliant and exciting, best film I seen this year. So I say don't waist your money on The Simpsons go see Transformers instead.

I think it was stupid to have Transformers and The Simpsons on the same week. I think The Simpsons will be No 1 but not for the best film but more popular

ZariusTwo
07-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, even if I consider TF vastly overrated, it's better than this movie.

They blew their oppertunities for great theatrical ideas years ago, "You Only Move Twice" should have been the film

LiuKangChick
07-26-2007, 08:04 PM
My family and I can't wait to see it! ^^ We're hoping to see it tomorrow.

The Stryker
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I feel they waited far too long for the movie and it's not gonna be as good as it could or should have been.

ZariusTwo
07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I feel they waited far too long for the movie and it's not gonna be as good as it could or should have been.

And it indeed, ain't as good, but it's the closest they've been to the older seasons in years

Dude Love
07-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Saw The Simpsons and Transformers today. I saw The Simpsons film first and I did enjoy it and had a good laugh but I felt I was watching a episode, then When I saw Transformers I loved it, it was a brilliant and exciting, best film I seen this year. So I say don't waist your money on The Simpsons go see Transformers instead.

I think it was stupid to have Transformers and The Simpsons on the same week. I think The Simpsons will be No 1 but not for the best film but more popular

Where are you posting from? Transformers has been out for weeks before the Simpsons came out in the US.

---

I mean, the movie was exactly what I expected it to be. Amusing, but not the great theatrical masterpiece of our generation. And, unfortunately, a lot of the good jokes were ruined by the previews. But, I did not feel like I wasted my time or money watching the movie.

ZariusTwo
07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
A lot of scenes shown in the trailer do not even appear in the movie. Spider-Pig was also added weeks before it's release

Essentially, the animators and writers kept changing their minds, adding material, removing material, always second guessing themselves. Chances are there's a great movie here, and the deleted scenes will hopefully show what they were intending to do, and what they could have avoided if they had just included them.

It's just a damn shame you could see when the great writers like John Swartzwelder were showcasing their ideas, and when Mike Scully's work was evident. Al Jean had nothing here, nothing, and for a guy whom many say is slowly saving the show and reviving it after years of abuse by Scully, that's criminal.

But these are the same guys who thought Hank could pull off a better Flanders than Burns in this film.

Vicky82
07-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Where are you posting from? Transformers has been out for weeks before the Simpsons came out in the US.

---

I mean, the movie was exactly what I expected it to be. Amusing, but not the great theatrical masterpiece of our generation. And, unfortunately, a lot of the good jokes were ruined by the previews. But, I did not feel like I wasted my time or money watching the movie.

The Simpsons and Transformers Come out the same week here in the UK

Dude Love
07-27-2007, 08:04 AM
That is quite poor planning, then. I never understood why the push around release dates for different countries. It really doesn't accomplish anything, to my knowledge, except to let some people know what's going to happen well before other people do.

Barkworm
07-27-2007, 08:29 AM
For countries that release dubbed versions of movies it makes perfect sense.

Mecha Cow
07-27-2007, 09:48 AM
But he lives in the UK, so it's kind of a moot point.

Speaking of dubs, for some reason there is going to be a Dutch version of the Simpsons movie. Why I do not know, since it's not exactly a kid's property and there hasn't been a single dubbed episode of the series. Whatever.

Movie comes out here next week or so I think. I'll go see it, but my expectations are extremely low. I know most people can agree that the recent seasons of the show have been sucking, but watching the newer episodes is literally torture for me. I can't even stand to watch it for 5 minutes, so whether I can last 83 remains to be seen.

Barkworm
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I think most of us feel the same way but even Zarius said the movie is alright and he's probably the most outspoken critic here.

ZariusTwo
07-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I've heard FOX may be getting closer to approving a Family Guy theatrical movie, which cements my beleifs they rushed out this film to see if their animation block can fly on the big screen

jerome
07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
is the trailor for dark knight in front of this?

if not i'm going to see sunshine.

ZariusTwo
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Save the "Ooohh where's my Batman sequel" for the Dark Knight thread.

The Stryker
07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I've heard FOX may be getting closer to approving a Family Guy theatrical movie, which cements my beleifs they rushed out this film to see if their animation block can fly on the big screen

I'd be quite alright with a Theatrical Family Guy movie.

gobo
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
is the trailor for dark knight in front of this?

if not i'm going to see sunshine.
He asked a simple question. No need to be a jerk about it. :roll:

jerome
07-27-2007, 06:35 PM

haha

tuff guys on a TMNT message board.

VaughnMichael
07-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I just got home from the movie...It was by far the largest pile of Simpsons I've ever seen haha.
You know it's not the best movie I've ever seen but it's not the worst by far.
I really enjoyed it allot I laughed, I cried, I took a bathroom break during that trailer for that horrible movie with the Rock in it.
It was really nice to see allot of change in the Simpsons world I wonder if it will stay with the show.
I really thought the animation was really nice for a Simpsons cartoon it was so crisp and clean.
This film really was funny for me and touching as well.
Anyone who has yet to see the movie should stay during the credits to see some extra things.
Including Maggie Talking.
And the Pimple Faced Teen complaining about working at the movie theator which was really funny because right below him in real life was the real kid sweeping lol.
The only thing I could say I didn't like was the lack of lines other characters had. And the entire lack of Mr. Burns as a major player in the movie.

Anarky
07-27-2007, 06:41 PM
There is also no further need to fight over this since I have the solution:

pnT58aigYSg

KROW
07-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Yay, Anarky!

With luck, I'll be seeing this over the weekend. I have my doubts about it, despite being such a big Simpsons fan. But I will say that if Zarius found it even remotely enjoyable, then I'm in for a treat. :D

DrSpengler
07-27-2007, 11:03 PM
My review. (http://www.filmsy.com/reviews/the-simpsons-movie-review/)

I enjoyed it. So sue me.

Raph's Girl
07-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I have to say that I actually enjoyed the movie. I laughed majorly. Homer had a point tho "Why are we seeing a movie of something we can see for free at home?!" :lol: Cool to see Itchy and Scratchy on the big screen tho. :D

One of my fave moments....Homer finding a bar in Alaska called Eski-Moes. :lol:

The trailers I saw were: Chipmunks, Dark Knight, Horton Hears A Who, and the Rock's new movie.

Definatly gonna see all of those...but especially Dark Knight and that Dwayne Johnson movie (which, BTW, looks totally hilarious)

Hannah
07-28-2007, 02:11 PM
The trailers I saw were: Chipmunks, Dark Knight, Horton Hears A Who, and the Rock's new movie.

Definatly gonna see all of those...but especially Dark Knight and that Dwayne Johnson movie (which, BTW, looks totally hilarious)

Pst, use spoiler tags.

But Jesus Christ, I forgot about Horton. This is going to be terrible. Haven't they ruined enough Dr. Seuss already?

VaughnMichael
07-28-2007, 02:30 PM
that Dwayne Johnson movie (which, BTW, looks totally hilarious)
Yeah I love watching professional wrestlers ruin their careers also!:lol:
Pst, use spoiler tags.
But Jesus Christ, I forgot about Horton. This is going to be terrible. Haven't they ruined enough Dr. Seuss already?
Didn't you know they put Dr. Seuss on a perpetual spinning machine in his grave?:o

GK Punk
07-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah I love watching professional wrestlers ruin their careers also!:lol:

He hasn't been a wrestler in yeeeeeeeeeeeears though. (I wish he'd go back, but that's just me)

Drtooth
07-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I have to say, 17 bloody years for a Damn Simpsons movie, Crayon Shin Chan (the Japanese equivillant of the Simpsons some say) came out roughly the same time and has 10. Just saying.

But IT'S ABOUT TIME!

I will say the writing in the film was better than the show has been the last 5 years. homer, while stupid, wasn't a cloying dumbass. Marge WASN'T an overly G-rated Mary poppins housewife, Bart was Bart... the characters were almost exactly like the used to be. Cletus and Ralph, while over used in the series were actually funny and served purposes here. All and all, it made me feel the nostalgia of classic Simpsons again, big loud and hillarious on the big screen.

There is one thing I didn't expect to see... or rather 3 things...
I loved the sequence when Bart rode the skateboard nude, and his area was covered by random objects. But then he passes by a bush and everything BUT his doodle was covered. Don't want to sound like a pedophile or anything, but I'm glad they had the Zo-san to show it.

I also loved the scene where Otto is toking from a bong!

There were a couple things I was disappointed with. I feel they blew the oppertunity to have a complete extended opening remake. I guess they should try that for the sequal.

Secondly, I LOVE how they didn't just make every single character say one unfunny line after another (like in the show now), but I was disappointed to see Kang and Kodos weren't in it, especially since they are on the Burger King cups.

But here's what I was thrilled with.

Making jokes they could only do in a movie:
Homer calling the audience that paid to see something they could watch for free "Suckers" and then pointing to the audience. And Fox advertising shows during the movie.

Regular guest voice artist Albert "Einstine" Brooks (Einstine is his last name, he changed it for show business) voiced the villain in the movie. And we only had a couple other celeb voice actors. And I was happy Minnie Driver wasn't one of them. I can't see what everyone else does in her.

NO MUSICAL MONTAGES. The show has been bogged down by them lately, and I feel it takes away, rather than ads to it.

So I'm giving this movie 3 Wows! WOW! WOW! WOW!

VaughnMichael
07-28-2007, 06:00 PM
He hasn't been a wrestler in yeeeeeeeeeeeears though. (I wish he'd go back, but that's just me)
I know it was a joke sort of like his acting...is that better? :lol:

Drtooth
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
having a movie under their belt (albiet animated, not live action) the Simpsons have had a lot of success that the Flintstones had. Even though their cereal didn't last as long as Pebbles.

But here's where they've gone this time...
http://st-hill.com/

That's right... CHEWABLE VITAMINS!

Brodie
07-28-2007, 06:41 PM
No joke, this was the worst movie I've seen since Troll 2.

KROW
07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Saw it, loved it, gonna buy it.

Many aspects of the film I thoroughly enjoyed were already stated by Dr.Tooth up there, but there were other little tidbits that shined for me. The political jibes were classic Simpsons, and the risks that were taken were very entertaining and well done. The jokes were great, the story was funny, and the dialogue was very spot on. It was a good effort, one that I applaud.

Does this bring The Simpsons out of the doldrums it's been wallowing in for the past few years? No, but it does show that a spark is still lingering there somewhere. Perhaps that spark will ignite into a brighter future for the franchise, perhaps not; but there's no denying that Simpsons can still pull off a hit.

I can't understand how disappointed people could be with the film. Really, people, what were you expecting?

VaughnMichael
07-28-2007, 10:52 PM
No joke, this was the worst movie I've seen since Troll 2.
That so makes me want to go see it again now hahahaha:lol:

Brodie
07-29-2007, 01:17 AM
That so makes me want to go see it again now hahahaha:lol:

Because I referenced the worst movie of all time?

And, Krow, its not that I was expecting something amazing. I just wasn't impressed, or surprised, or really entertained.

I've never felt like leaving a movie before. And that's not to say I dont like the Simpsons, I LOVE the Simpsons. But mostly older stuff, and I was excited about older writers doing the movie. But it was just old writers trying to write a new episode of the Simpsons for the new seasons.

GK Punk
07-29-2007, 02:33 AM
I know it was a joke sort of like his acting...is that better? :lol:

Yeah, totally missed what you meant until now. As you were!

Drtooth
07-29-2007, 09:01 AM
I can't understand how disappointed people could be with the film. Really, people, what were you expecting?

Indeed,. I expected worse. Like the nagging feeling they would make every single character with a funny accent say one line on the big screen. Especially the "you'rrrrrrrre firrrrrrrred" jowl guy they were so trying to make a character. And no "Ye-e-e-e-e-esss" guy either. Just Frink, Cletus, and Ralph, all tastefully done.

ZariusTwo
07-29-2007, 09:02 AM

Does this bring The Simpsons out of the doldrums it's been wallowing in for the past few years? No

Answered your own question. Some people want it all back, or nothing really

I was fine with what we got, because I got SOME of it back, and some is the closest we'll ever get now.

Barkworm
07-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I just saw it, I thought it was alright. Leaps and bounds better than I expected. The movie's major flaw is the fact that you could really tell how many different writers it had and how they had been changing the movie over and over again. But I'm not complaining, compared to the show's best years this movie was mediocre at best but I laughed out more than in the last six seasons combined.

KROW
07-29-2007, 10:07 AM
And, Krow, its not that I was expecting something amazing. I just wasn't impressed, or surprised, or really entertained.

I've never felt like leaving a movie before. And that's not to say I dont like the Simpsons, I LOVE the Simpsons. But mostly older stuff, and I was excited about older writers doing the movie. But it was just old writers trying to write a new episode of the Simpsons for the new seasons.
I hear ya'. It was more of a pop gun than a big bang.

Some people want it all back, or nothing really

I was fine with what we got, because I got SOME of it back, and some is the closest we'll ever get now.
I understand. But I think the movie alone isn't enough for that. I think we need some of the good stuff the movie had added into the episodes. The film kind of got the ball rolling, so hopefully in later seasons there isn't a brick wall to stop it.

Swany
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
THe movie was funny, but not hilarious, there was a few bits that just seemed out of place in the Simpsons as well.

Like Homer giving everyone the finger.

cowabunga14
08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I saw the movie on Friday night and I enjoyed it. It was funny, I thought, and there were moments when the crowd exploded with laughter. So yeah, I'll probably get it on DVD. One random thing, though...
I didn't expect Tom Hanks to show up.

Barkworm
08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Woah, the movie took a pretty steep nosedive at the boxoffice this weekend. Weird...