PDA

View Full Version : Mispronunciations

ToTheNines
08-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Were there any words from the comics that you always pronounced wrong until actually hearing them (probably on the NT).

For me it was Utrom, I used to think it was ut (as in up) instead of oot, but I got the rom right :D

Then Fugitoid, I always called him Fug (like hug) itoid instead of Fyewgitoid.

So, what were your mistakes, if any?

PipingPringle
08-17-2007, 04:51 PM
ouh, cool topic! It'll be interesting to see what people say. I always liked it "Fyewgitoid" because it sounds like "fugitive".

PAAATE
08-17-2007, 05:21 PM
For me it was Utrom, I used to think it was ut (as in up) instead of oot, but I got the rom right :D

Same here. :P

ToTheNines
08-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Yea, when I heard it on TV I was like, what the hell. Then I quickly realized that I was the wrong one and that it sounded much better the right way.

Scandia
08-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I managed to pronounce those two words correctly from the beginning. Spanish is my first language, so it was instinctive of me to pronounce them phonetically.

However, I was pronouncing "Leonardo" as you would in Spanish and Italian- LEH-onardo. But in the toon it's pronounced "LEE-onardo".

I've heard various pronunciations for "Raphael". I'm just saying it phonetically until I get an official one.

Coola Yagami
08-17-2007, 05:52 PM
well, I always thought Rennet was pronounced Renae until I heard they actually pronounce it like how it's spelled.

ToTheNines
08-17-2007, 05:54 PM
well, I always thought Rennet was pronounced Renae until I heard they actually pronounce it like how it's spelled.

Me too, I totally forgot that one.

Janus Prospero
08-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Me too. :D

Roseangelo
08-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Actually, that's kind of grey territory. I know it was pronounced Renet on the 2K3 series, but Kevin Eastman has told us that it's Renae.

Courk
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I thought Utrom was "yoo-trom." I pronounce Rennet as it's spelled.

Scandia
08-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Another one here who pronounced Renet phonetically like in the cartoon :)

VaughnMichael
08-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Actually, that's kind of grey territory. I know it was pronounced Renet on the 2K3 series, but Kevin Eastman has told us that it's Renae.
That's how I've always said it the way Kevin says because anyone I know who has that name would always get supper ticked if you would say the T in their name.:lol:

Coola Yagami
08-17-2007, 08:35 PM
you met real women named Rennet?

VaughnMichael
08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
you met real women named Rennet?
yes and it was not spelled like that my step cousin has that name.
I've know quite a few people to have it though.

Scandia
08-18-2007, 06:04 AM
When I was an enumerator for the Census, one of the families I surveyed listed having a daughter named "Renette" or "Ranette" or something similar to that.

Rene/Renee does mean "reborn". So it does make sense that Eastman and Laird picked this name for the time mistress.

Raph's Girl
08-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Utrom and Renet mostly. I always kinda figured that Fugitoid was short for Fugitive Android. *shrugs*

Raphael, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Donatello all have different pernounciations depending on the country.

For instance in Italy the name is pronounced Meek-elangelo or Mick-elangelo.....

Scandia
08-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I did notice that Karai pronounces it closest to "Meekelangelo".

But I pronounced it "MichaelANgelo" for some reason.

Jo Dawn
08-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I know a Renet... But she does pronounce it with the 'T'.

Um, I haven't had any names I've mispronounced thus far.

Ava Collier
08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I thought Renet was Ren-ay too. I've had the same experience Putrescent has with the name.

I pronounce Raph's name Raf-eye-ell... the Raf-ee-ell thing KILLS me. My husband is the worst, and I will sooo break him of Rof-ee-ell. I cringe when he says Rof.

Personally, I'm wondering how Genosuke is officially pronounced. If you listen to Usagi in 2k3, it takes him a while to start saying it the same way, and then he usually just gives up and says Gen...he's said Jen as well.
He started out saying it Gen-ohs-kay, which I believe would be correct if he spoke proper Japanese, but the voice actor even mispronounced "Miyamoto Usagi". :ohwell:

raphael_is_cool
08-18-2007, 12:25 PM
I could've sworn I heard Renet pronounced the original French way when used in 'Time Travails'.

Ninjinister
08-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I thought Renet was Ren-ay too. I've had the same experience Putrescent has with the name.

I pronounce Raph's name Raf-eye-ell... the Raf-ee-ell thing KILLS me. My husband is the worst, and I will sooo break him of Rof-ee-ell. I cringe when he says Rof.

Personally, I'm wondering how Genosuke is officially pronounced. If you listen to Usagi in 2k3, it takes him a while to start saying it the same way, and then he usually just gives up and says Gen...he's said Jen as well.
He started out saying it Gen-ohs-kay, which I believe would be correct if he spoke proper Japanese, but the voice actor even mispronounced "Miyamoto Usagi". :ohwell:

There was a source of confusion regarding how Usagi characters are pronounced when they were introduced in 2K3. Below is how they would actually be pronounced:

Miyamoto Usagi: "Mee-yuh-moe-toe Oo-sa-gee"
Genosuke: "Gen-oh-skay"

discordiatookie
08-18-2007, 01:43 PM
I've always pronounced Renet like Ren-ay too, and thats the way I prefer it. even though official word (well, Laird) says its Ren-net, I much prefer the other way, and when i'm reading my comics, thats how it'll stay in my head!!!!

Roseangelo
08-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I've always pronounced Renet like Ren-ay too, and thats the way I prefer it. even though official word (well, Laird) says its Ren-net

What's the source on this?

discordiatookie
08-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I seem to remember an update on the official site a while back stating that you pronounced it Ren-net, due to the fact that some people had emailed in asking. It was ages ago and I can't find it now, due to the fact that I can't find any news items on there from before march, but i'm pretty sure that's where I read it! And if Dan Berger says that, I guess that Laird told him so....

PAAATE
08-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I seem to remember an update on the official site a while back stating that you pronounced it Ren-net, due to the fact that some people had emailed in asking. It was ages ago and I can't find it now, due to the fact that I can't find any news items on there from before march, but i'm pretty sure that's where I read it! And if Dan Berger says that, I guess that Laird told him so....

I remember that too.

Although I thought I had read it in the letters-section of TMNT...

But my memory kinda sucks. :P

discordiatookie
08-18-2007, 06:06 PM
That letters section thing rang a bell with me, so I just checked and found it!! TMNT vol 4 #21! So I guess I read it in here and not the website! D'oh! Anyhoo, here's what it says, in full (oh boy):

It has come to my attention that some people are still confused about the proper (i.e. how the creators intended) pronunciation of the name Renet, the Timestress who first appeared in TMNT vol.1#8, and recently in an episode of the new TMNT animated series. It is NOT "RenAY", it is "RenETT" (sounds like "pet" or "let" or "get"). This is the way her name was always pronounced when Kevin and I talked about her, and when any of the other guys in the studio talked about her. (For circumstantial proof of this, note the rhyming title of a short TMNT story that Jim Lawson did some years back -- "Sweat, Sweat, Sweet Renet".) In fact, when the rough cut of the episode in question was sent to us, I noticed that the voice actors had pronounced the name incorrectly, i.e. sounding like "RenAY". No fault of theirs -- they had not been told the correct pronunciation. I informed Lloyd Goldfine of the mistake, and corrections were made (though apparently one or two of the mistakes were missed). --PL

Like I said, she'll stil always be ReNAY to me!

Roseangelo
08-18-2007, 06:18 PM
That letters section thing rang a bell with me, so I just checked and found it!! TMNT vol 4 #21! So I guess I read it in here and not the website! D'oh! Anyhoo, here's what it says, in full (oh boy):Like I said, she'll stil always be ReNAY to me!

Good job finding that!! Seems it's another inconsistency between Kevin and Peter. I stick with ReNAY, though I know I let some ReNETs slip through, too.

PAAATE
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
That letters section thing rang a bell with me, so I just checked and found it!!

I'm gonna give my memory a cookie O.o

VaughnMichael
08-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Good job finding that!! Seems it's another inconsistency between Kevin and Peter. I stick with ReNAY, though I know I let some ReNETs slip through, too.
I'm gonna stick with Renay also I know the characters an idiot pretty much but man the way Renet sounds is just dumb.

ToTheNines
08-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I think I used to pronounce Karai wrong aswell (now I know any thing "ai" in japanese is "eye") however, I can't remember what I thought it was.

VaughnMichael
08-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I think I used to pronounce Karai wrong aswell (now I know any thing "ai" in japanese is "eye") however, I can't remember what I thought it was.
I said it wrong growing up also lol I used to say it like Kar-ey

Scandia
08-18-2007, 08:51 PM
I got Karai right from the very beginning. It helps that there's a word in Spanish that looks and sounds very similar.

In the 2k3 toon sometimes they pronounce it "Kuh-RYE". And it's fun to say that way- separating the syllables and all.

Janus Prospero
08-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I got Karai right from the very beginning. It helps that there's a word in Spanish that looks and sounds very similar.

Alright, we get it. You're a perfect pronouncer. :P

OA
08-18-2007, 10:45 PM

Maybe Ka-Ray...?

Scandia
08-19-2007, 05:00 AM
No I'm not a perfect pronouncer. I pronounced "Michelangelo" the English way. And I said "Renet" just as it looks like even though I am fluent in French.

ToTheNines
08-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Just remembered another one, I used to think Peter Laird was Peter Larid. Oddly enough, I'm not dyslexic

VaughnMichael
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Just remembered another one, I used to think Peter Laird was Peter Larid. Oddly enough, I'm not dyslexic
haha yeah I used to call him Peter Lard ohh boy glad I never met him when I said his name that way shesh bet he got teased in school allot.:|

cowabunga14
08-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, my dad pronounces "Krang" like "Crane" and "Fugitoid" like "Fugatoid", but I correct him. I can't say I've pronounced any Turtle characters' names wrong, except, I know he isn't a Turtles character, but I pronounced Cerebus' name like "Sa-re-bus" instead of "Sare-uh-buss", which is how I pronounce it now.

Andrew NDB
08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I've always kind of said Renet Ren-eht in my head instead of like Renae -- it just seems to suit her earlier bratty character.

ToTheNines
08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
haha yeah I used to call him Peter Lard ohh boy glad I never met him when I said his name that way shesh bet he got teased in school allot.:|

:lol: That's too good.

Well, my dad pronounces "Krang" like "Crane" and "Fugitoid" like "Fugatoid", but I correct him. I can't say I've pronounced any Turtle characters' names wrong, except, I know he isn't a Turtles character, but I pronounced Cerebus' name like "Sa-re-bus" instead of "Sare-uh-buss", which is how I pronounce it now.

Cerebus, add another to my list.

Scandia
08-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I pronounced it "Seh-reh-boose". Looked like "Cerberus" to me, and Greek is phonetic. Not sure what the proper pronunciation is.

I wonder if I would have pronounced Krang as "Kraing" if I had first watched the OT in English and/or had been living already in the South like I do now.

Andrew NDB
08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
For a long time I had it in my head that "Cerebus" was just a funky spelling for "Cerberus" (sur-ber-us), the mythical three headed dog that guards the gates to hell.

http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes5/pictures/inferno/HOMM5_Inferno_Cerberus.jpg

Rooish
08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Heh, wicked picture.

I pronounced it "ser-EE-brus" ... until I realised it wasn't spelled that way. :roll:

Raphael I used to pronounce "Raph-eye-EHL." Now I try to say it "Rof-ay-EHL." But then it doesn't really work to shorten it to "Raph." Plus, everyone seems to pronounce his name differently ...

Ava Collier
08-22-2007, 12:46 AM
There was a source of confusion regarding how Usagi characters are pronounced when they were introduced in 2K3. Below is how they would actually be pronounced:

Miyamoto Usagi: "Mee-yuh-moe-toe Oo-sa-gee"
Genosuke: "Gen-oh-skay"

Hehe I know how Usagi's name is pronounced. He's the one who got it wrong :P
I don't even remember what episode it was, or how he said it, but he was claiming to be that. I remember looking at the screen and going "You are?" o.0
I figured Gen-oh-skay was right, but then he started with the Gen-oh-sue-kay. :ohwell:

Scandia
08-22-2007, 05:37 AM
I mispronounced Usagi as "Usa-hee"- possibly because that's how they pronounce Sailor Moon's civilian name in the original Japanese anime.

And Gennosuke I just pronounced phonetically.

MrPliggins
08-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Used to pronounce Usagi as "Use A Guy".