PDA

View Full Version : Funky leg joints

Toonami Tom
08-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I have noticed Playmates Toys likes to give their figures ball joint legs that face in the opposite direction of tradtional balljoints. I thought it had something to do with just being a good joint for turtles, but TMNT 07 movie Shredder and Foot ninja have these joints too.

Oh and so does King Kong.

Mutated Leo
08-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Ha ha... You have just discovered the truth. Playmates does toys wrong mostly... mostly.

Toonami Tom
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
The only figures with 'normal' balljointed legs that I can think of is the 2k3 Shredder and Armorized Shredder. Although, even with a different type of balljoint legs, I still love my TMNT figures.

Mutated Leo
08-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah true but what would the TMNT toy line be like without Playmates? Hasbro? Mcfarlane? Sideshow?

Crazy to think about.

DTBlack
08-24-2007, 12:02 AM
The leg joints are decent enough on the Turtles themselves, but pretty terrible and useless on Shredder and the Foot Njna's. They should have just given them regular cut legs like Karai.

commentor
08-24-2007, 12:39 AM
The only figures with 'normal' balljointed legs that I can think of is the 2k3 Shredder and Armorized Shredder. Although, even with a different type of balljoint legs, I still love my TMNT figures.

I am not able to dig out my 2k3 shredder so I can't check but what sucks about the fact that he may have "normal Ball joints" is does his wrists move? also I don't think he has knees that bend. I aslo don't like how his left hand is in the "helmet holding position." short of doing a letter campaign or a boycott I don't see playmates ever fixing the problems I think these figures have. In away I am already boycotting the figures that have only cut joints and even then I only buy the figures with better joints when they go on clearance since I still think they lack the right articulation to pay full price for.

Yet maybe parents really like these toys since I would think these toys can take the extra abuse dished out by kids. Yet I am glad someone at hasbro/hasbro came out with the best articulated figure when they did in the 80's!

Ava Collier
08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Yeah true but what would the TMNT toy line be like without Playmates? Hasbro? Mcfarlane? Sideshow?

Crazy to think about.

McFarlane FTW!
...I have to admit, I'd never heard of sideshow until now, so I looked them up. Thanks for that. I'll pine after This (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=2910) my entire life.

Patraw
08-24-2007, 08:17 AM
It might have something to do with copyrights--I don't know if toy joints are patented or not, but it's possible. In that scenario, I imagine, if one company's ball joints were too similar, or identical, in design, to another's, there might be legal trouble. Maybe that's why they're 'funky'.

Mutated Leo
08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
McFarlane FTW!
...I have to admit, I'd never heard of sideshow until now, so I looked them up. Thanks for that. I'll pine after This (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=2910) my entire life.

Yeah that bust is Siiiick! ;)