PDA

View Full Version : Mirage Style TMNT on the way!!! From....

mattmanw54301
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
...NECA!!!! WOO!!! In 2008, NECA will start to produce collector market toys for TMNT!!!! They have said that they will start with characters from the original Eastman/Laird comics, and go from there....

Discuss!!!!

VaughnMichael
08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
links???? proof?? omg! I've got tears in my eyes there is a god!

Toonami Tom
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh my gosh! Dream come true! I love NECA, better than Mcfarlane, IMO.:)

mattmanw54301
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.aftimes.com/ask.ran.shtml

This is an interview with Randy Falk, head of NECA Product Development.

RoAR: I had heard about PRINCESS BRIDE earlier in the year (and Im looking forward to a Dread Pirate Roberts figure!) but not TMNT! Will this be oriented toward the animated series or the original Eastman/Laird comics or a different source?
RF: Starting with the Eastman/Laird comics and well go from there.
Expect more detail and texture and loads of articulation on these.

Slash
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2007/06/want.jpg (http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/06/29/want/)

That says it all for me!

Toonami Tom
08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't doubt you really, and I appreciate the news, but where did you get this information?

VaughnMichael
08-30-2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.aftimes.com/ask.ran.shtml

This is an interview with Randy Falk, head of NECA Product Development.
feyuuuccckk!!!!! *drolls*

gobo
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Schweet. What else has NECA done in the past though?

Jon
08-30-2007, 04:06 PM

I recall they did some Ghostbusters (Movie) figures -- the Terror Dogs (Zuul, and the other who's name escapes me), and Staypuft Marshmellow Man.

And probably other characters.

Mecha Cow
08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Damn...Very nice.

VaughnMichael
08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
this look should help ;)
http://www.necaonline.com/licenses/list

evil_henchmen
08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
NECA is pretty solid and these should rock :D

Aelia
08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Nice. I'm definitely going to buy their upcoming TMNT figures next year.

raphael_is_cool
08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Excellent news.

Kendamu
08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
This is pretty cool! I'll probably forget about it until they come out, though. Then I'll go "Whoa! I never thought something like this would happen! Why didn't anyone tell me before?" :P

Roseangelo
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Hell yeah!!

BigApple3AM
08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
NECA is a great company, though I haven't bought too many of their products the ones I have are solid. They said loads of articulation, from what I've seen not many neca toys have had loads of articulation so hopefully they'll try to up their game plan for TMNT. I own Stay Puft Marshmallow man, a great figure at an insanely amazing price (I paid less than $16 for it new, and it's over 12") and Slimer who is really well done and had good articulation which is odd since it's Slimer! I also own a Terminator figure they did which had great articulation and was well done but in my opinion too flimsy. Other than that they mostly make statue figures like McFarlane. Though I know there is a market for statue figures, I'd rather there be articulation.

This just made my day, I'm so happy, I hope they show off pics soon!

darthsmozers
08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!! How could would it be to have TMNT figures with red masks and a bit of a gritty look? A cool looking shredder? the ideas could go on and on.

Revan
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
so are they going to look similar to the first issue turtle designs from vol 1?

mattmanw54301
08-30-2007, 08:26 PM
As the owner of over 100 NECA figures myself, there are a couple things that are most likely to happen:

1. Alternate heads/hands

2. Color/B&W variants (NECA did this with their Sin City line)

So I am looking forward to this quite a bit!!!!! WOO!!!!! I bet we can expect quite a few foot soldiers as well. NECA loves their generic henchmen. Unfortunately, only 4 figures to a wave, so guess who is gonna be in the first wave? lol. But NECA also loves deluxe boxed sets, so I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 boxsets (Leo and Raph, Don and Mikey) that have connectable rooftop bases. People on the board were talking about higher end collectibles? This is the first step to that. So smoke em if you got em!!!!

And being the collectible newshound that I am, pics will be up here the nanosecond they are released online.

ToTheNines
08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Cowabugna, this is excellent.

The best thing about that interview was the "we'll go from there" part. This might mean some highly detailed OT turtles!

Toonami Tom
08-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I can't wait for these to be released!:) :D This is going to be so awesome!

I am impressed with NECA's figures, I own their V for Vendetta figure, a Jack Sparrow, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider Legend, some Resident Evil, and some Kill Bill figures. I also have the reproduction of the original Cowboy Curtis figure from Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

JetsAndHeels
08-30-2007, 10:14 PM
This is great news. I read about this over on a star wars forum I frequent and I was ecstatic to say the least. :)

2008 is going to be a great year for us!!

tmntman
08-30-2007, 10:15 PM
This should be a great opportunity for TMNT fans since NECA's figures tend to be all of the things that Playmates figures aren't. (a lot of attention to detail, much more detailed paint applications, and a general focus on appearance over playability)

What I really want to know is what does this mean for Playmates? I don't think their license is up soon. So are they still going to produce TMNT toys for the cartoons/potential movie sequel(s)?

I would guess that they worked out an agreement similar to that which allows both the Marvel Select and Marvel Legends lines to run at the same time. But it is kind of a shame that the license couldn't have gone to Marvel Toys to be part of their Legendary Comic Heros line. Inexpensive, well articulated, playable versions of the Turtles in scale with hundreds of other comic book characters would have been even better.

longbowhunter
08-30-2007, 10:42 PM
As the owner of over 100 NECA figures myself, there are a couple things that are most likely to happen:

1. Alternate heads/hands

2. Color/B&W variants (NECA did this with their Sin City line)

So I am looking forward to this quite a bit!!!!! WOO!!!!! I bet we can expect quite a few foot soldiers as well. NECA loves their generic henchmen. Unfortunately, only 4 figures to a wave, so guess who is gonna be in the first wave? lol. But NECA also loves deluxe boxed sets, so I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 boxsets (Leo and Raph, Don and Mikey) that have connectable rooftop bases. People on the board were talking about higher end collectibles? This is the first step to that. So smoke em if you got em!!!!

And being the collectible newshound that I am, pics will be up here the nanosecond they are released online.

Man...I didnt even THINK Of the Black and White figures till you mentioned it. That would be awesome!! I would love to see Shreddder (natch),Splinter,Casey,and maybe even Fugitoid or a Trike-Warrior if the line lasts long enough....this is SO cool! Cant wait to see pics (maybe at Toy Fair??)

Mutated Leo
08-31-2007, 12:38 AM
This is the best news ever! I was just talking about the this in another thread the idea that a non playmate TMNT could be what has been needed all along. Let's hope they do less turtle variants and more characters from the comics. I must not expect the worse I'm so used to playmates. LOL...

AquaParade
08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
:D :D :D
To me, this is probably the most exciting peice of tmnt news since the new movie was announced. After all these years, we can finally get our hands on some original red bandana wearing tmnt figsn not to mention, a good looking Shredder figure. I wonder if they will do seperate turtle waves for the different art styles that have been shown throughout the comics. Thinking of the OT toon figures they could make also gets me excited. Just to clear this up for myself...They basically acquired rights to make tmnt figs from any universe they want?

OA
08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm psyched at just the idea of another company taking a stab at the TMNT other than PM...i can't wait!

Mutated Leo
08-31-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm psyched at just the idea of another company taking a stab at the TMNT other than PM...i can't wait!

Word! I cannot agree more!

cowabunga14
08-31-2007, 08:37 PM
That's freakin' awesome news -- I can hardly wait!
They've done their Cult Classics figures, which I have a few of.

Rooish
08-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Oh my God, yeah, I think I'm crying.

ferret
09-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I...simply..can't...wait :eyesthreateningtobulgeoutwithbarelysuppresedGLEE! :

Scandia
09-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Now...does this mean that they are also going to alter the character designs in the next season of the 2k3 toon? As in- making all bandannas red (bad idea, bad idea, bad idea) or giving April a bad perm or the sort?

AquaParade
09-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd kill for an animated series where the turtles all had red bandanas :)
Anyone remember that project in the works that someone came on the boards and told us about? They said it was planned for the anniversary, but they didnt wanna say anything since nothings set in stone yet...anyone know what I'm talking about? For some reason, I keep hoping it will be a Mirage like direct to dvd movie of the turtles :D

ferret
09-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Now...does this mean that they are also going to alter the character designs in the next season of the 2k3 toon? As in- making all bandannas red (bad idea, bad idea, bad idea) or giving April a bad perm or the sort?

lol i don't think that will work. No, i dont think these toys are going to influence or be influenced by the present TV show. At least not for now. These are based off of the original Mirage comics. Just my thoughts.

TristanHuwJones
09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be tied into the 25th anniversary of the comics. This is incredibly awesome news though!

Roseangelo
09-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be tied into the 25th anniversary of the comics. This is incredibly awesome news though!

I hope I don't have to wait until 2009!!

TristanHuwJones
09-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Don't be too surprised if that's the case. I'm not really in the loop on these sorts of things, but going on past experience we could be waiting a little while. Consider this, we're coming up on the tail end of 2007, NECA didn't say anything about this at SDCC, which you'd think would be a pretty big deal, and certainly a crowd pleaser, and NECA also didn't have much on show this year, so I'm guessing they've JUST signed the deal. The next step is planning, and then they'll do all their design work, which'll go to Mirage for approval, then, if everything goes to plan, they'll go to sculpt, which again needs approval, then the prototypes, testing, etc. Then once all that's cleared they'll go into production, then they've got to ship them to stores. So there's a fair whack of time going into the whole concept => product, and that's IF they decide to move ahead straight away... Although I could be very wrong and they could end up pulling a Grindhouse and have figures out like lightning. I'm just going by the time it took for us to see NECA's Ghostbusters figures and the Masters of the Universe Stactions (though with those, the teaser to release dates varied).
Murph also said in his blog that there were some plans for an adult collector's series, but maybe that was supposed to be tied to the anniversary of the cartoon and part of the retro licensing...

Quiller-Bee
09-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh, hell yes! It's about friggin' time that we got some good TMNT action figures. I've been waiting on something like this for a very, very long time. Best toys news I've heard since . . . well, since ever!

Ninjinister
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I think I need to change my shorts.

Actually... maybe I'll have to pass on laundry for a while so I can save up for these buggers! :D

turkishproverb
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Ok...so assuming these are about the same price as normal collectors figures: $20.00

and assuming the first wave is The four turtles, Shredder, and a variant figure (Black adn white shredder?)

Then I'll have to buy around 120 dollars worth of figures.

outch.

but worth it.

Roseangelo
09-03-2007, 12:45 PM
$20? You can get their Harry Potter figures for $10 at Hot Topic.

VaughnMichael
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
and I'm quite sure thats where the turtle figures will be sold also it would be nice though if these collector turtles figures where sold in stores like walmart though cause then if tuns of people got them it would really show them what kind of stuff we really want and it would pretty much put necas name on the map.

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2007, 04:19 PM
The closest HT store to me is about an hour or so away, so I may order most of these online.

VaughnMichael
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
The closest HT store to me is about an hour or so away, so I may order most of these online.
which one could understand with how high gas prices are these days if they do have varients I may just order a case from my comic shop.

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2007, 04:24 PM
which one could understand with how high gas prices are these days if they do have varients I may just order a case from my comic shop.

That's a good idea too. It saves time, money, and trouble. If I could have back some of the time and gas money I used trying to find that movie Shredder figure I would probably buy a case just with that.

VaughnMichael
09-03-2007, 04:29 PM
That's a good idea too. It saves time, money, and trouble. If I could have back some of the time and gas money I used trying to find that movie Shredder figure I would probably buy a case just with that.
yeah I went all over PA today trying to find shredder, sloth, and jungle leo to buy so i can send away for the stupid big foot but no such luck on finding any new figures from the movie besides those Fast Forward rejects.

JetsAndHeels
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
As soon as my friend found me a Shredder figure, WalMart's website listed it.

I was lucky enough to find Jungle Leo in the store though, ironically while searching for Shredder. :)

Drtooth
09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I am amazed. I've been lobbying for a Mirage Legends line for... well... weeks now. :fshifty:

Anyway, what I'd like to see...

All 4 turtles with RED bandanas, but with certain features in sculpt that makes the toys each unique.
Casey Jones as he looked in the comic. The new one works well for what he looked like in the cartoon, but the old one could have been better looking.
if they need to do varients, style varients. One set of Hedden, Mc Weenie cartoony Turtles for example. Even as PVC sets.
B+W varients as well.
Special edition ones based on issues of the comic that come with a free reprint of the comic they were featured in.

AquaParade
09-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I am amazed. I've been lobbying for a Mirage Legends line for... well... weeks now. :fshifty:

Anyway, what I'd like to see...

All 4 turtles with RED bandanas, but with certain features in sculpt that makes the toys each unique.
Casey Jones as he looked in the comic. The new one works well for what he looked like in the cartoon, but the old one could have been better looking.
if they need to do varients, style varients. One set of Hedden, Mc Weenie cartoony Turtles for example. Even as PVC sets.
B+W varients as well.
Special edition ones based on issues of the comic that come with a free reprint of the comic they were featured in.

Kinda like I said earlier, I agree that if they do decide to do some variants, they should be based off the different styles the turtles were drawn in. Anyone who knows stuff about Neca...do they have an average amount of waves they usually release for licenses they aquire...I'm scared that if these only sell at collector places, or stores like hot topic they wont sell too well and we'll only get a wave or two.

Ninjinister
09-04-2007, 08:36 AM
You can always lobby for your local comic store to get them. Mine carries all sorts of NECA figures, so I don't think the CBG would have a problem getting these in.

Dorkfish
09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
KYA!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite action figure company strikes again! First they give me my beloved Resident Evil 4 Leon and Krauser, then soon to come Alucard and Dracula from Castlevania, and now, most importantly, Turtles!!

I'm guessing by Mirage style, they will all have red bandanas?

*so excited!*

Toonami Tom
09-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing Hot Topic will have these figures. They have TMNT clothes and NECA figures, so it makes sense to me.:)

***First of Two Latin Kings***
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Fugitoid, Blanque and Triceratons...

turkishproverb
09-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Am I the only one who hopes they eventually get around to doing a Shredder based on the origional movie? Its something they never did before, and after those Ghostbusters movie figures, you know it would rock.

Drtooth
09-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Hmmm... a classic movie line would be great too (since they were based off of suits that Henson made). But I think we should just focus on the comic line that's coming out. We don't want to think too far ahead, but we should also leave room to speculate.

I loved what they actually were able to release as far as Ghostbusters is concerned. I'm just disappointed they couldn't get the rights to the GB's, and didn't cheat it by using their comic (or cartoon) likenesses.

Toonami Tom
09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
TMNT movie 1 Shredder by NECA would be totally awesome! Good idea.:)

I'm not very familiar with TMNT comic-only characters, but if they look cool I will buy them.

BigApple3AM
09-06-2007, 05:07 PM
TMNT movie 1 Shredder by NECA would be totally awesome! Good idea.:)

I've been day dreaming of movie tmnt for quite a while now. Though my dream company was Mezco (see hellboy movie toys). Sota was #2 though not anymore, and NECA was #3 followed by toybiz at #4. The ghostbusters line is what gives me great hope for NECA. I love my slimer and stay puft a lot. Never found the dogs though, I hope none of these figures will be chases or extremely rare.

Hellboy
09-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I've been day dreaming of movie tmnt for quite a while now. Though my dream company was Mezco (see hellboy movie toys).

Hell yeah!! Too bad that line ended... :ohwell:

Ninjinister
09-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure how waves are released from NECA (as I own none myself, and just have seen them at stores on the shelf), but this would be my ideal plan:

Wave 1 would consist of Donatello, Raphael, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Splinter, and The Shredder. Wave 2 would be mostly human; April O'Neil, Casey Jones, Baxter Stockman, Foot Ninja, Triceraton, and Fugitoid. Maybe Wave 3 would have Turtle variants, but what, I can't think of off the top of my head. Preteen Turtles with the full bandannas? Unmentionables Turtles and Casey? Maybe even Soul's Winter figures? And of course I'd kill for a Mirage Leatherhead figure... they could have the first appearance Jim Lawson, and in a later wave, eyepatched Dan Berger Leatherhead. The sky's the limit with these figures!

mattmanw54301
09-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Usually NECA figures come in waves of 4. They may release more than one wave close together tho. I can imagine that they will start with one wave to test the water, then maybe if the first wave sells well, a second wave with a box set. I would think that we will see the 4 TMNTs in wave 1. Wave 2 I will predict should be Shredder, Splinter, April O Neil, and Casey Jones. Wave 3 I would guess would be Foot Ninja, Fugitoid, Triceraton, and Baxter Stockman. From there it's anyone's guess. One thing is certain though: we will absolutely NOT get tons of silly variants of the turtles.

Can't wait to see the box sets. What I would do would have 1 box set of the TMNT, and Shredder and some Foot Ninja in a second box set, and have them combie together to form a giant diorama.

I am so excited about this line, it is unbelievable.

Hellboy
09-08-2007, 02:38 AM
One thing is certain though: we will absolutely NOT get tons of silly variants of the turtles.

I'm not so sure about that one. NECA did milk it's Nightmare before Christmas license with a lot of Jack Skellington variants. Jack Sparrow and the Jigsaw Killer also come to mind.

mattmanw54301
09-08-2007, 03:25 AM
I said no silly variants, not 'no variants at all'. meaning, we wont get paleo patrol, MESS, Ninja Knights, etc. The variants there will be justified, and most likely comic accurate.

Hellboy
09-08-2007, 05:30 AM
It depends on what you mean by silly variants. NECA rereleasing their old Jigsaw Killer in a "new" red robe makes it a pretty silly variant I think.

I just wouln't know what kind of Turtle variants they could do other than "Hi-tech Don" or "Workout Raphael". :-?

mattmanw54301
09-08-2007, 09:18 AM
i would think that color/|b&w, bloody and non bloody would be the most likely.

And for the record, the Jigsaw variants did not take up space in the main Cult Classics line. They were released under Cult Classics Hall of Fame, which is a separate line especially for repaints. Which I doubt TMNT will have a separate line for.

Hellboy
09-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right about that type of variants. I'll probably just get the regular ones I think.

Hmmm, a line of just repaints? They should have just called it "Hall of Lame" then. :P

Slap-Happy
09-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I wanna see toys of how the turtles appear in #8 Vol.1
, And I Hope they can make a box set of 10 foot ninjas and Shreads'

AquaParade
09-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Like you guys are saying, There are endless possibilities for this toy line. I only have one concern. With a toy line like this coming out, I am definitely hoping to start seriously collecting my first toy line, but with a company like neca, and a dromer mentioning only 4 figures a wave, andddd the chance that these wont sell so hot, I'm scared it will be a short lived line...does Neca usually stick to certain lines for a while, or do they drop em as fast as a show on disney channel?

mattmanw54301
09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
depends on sales. Cult Classics and Nightmare Before Xmas, they are up to wave 6. Pirates of the Carribean, there were at least 2 waves per movie for all 3 movies, plus boxed sets. I do know that if it is all ecomomical, they will keep the line going as long as they can.

Slap-Happy
09-09-2007, 04:34 AM
with all the TMNT fans i this will sell pretty well:)

Venom
09-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Wicked awesome news! Hopefully we'll finally get to see a regular Savanti Romero and Renet in her full busty glory!

Mutated Leo
09-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Wicked awesome news! Hopefully we'll finally get to see a regular Savanti Romero and Renet in her full busty glory!

Ha ha, I'll drink to that!

Spitfire
09-10-2007, 04:09 AM
One thing is certain though: we will absolutely NOT get tons of silly variants of the turtles.

Not that I like variant but if they did it right I would love them.

I mean if the variants were based off of the different styles the turtles have been drawn in. I'd love some figures of the turtles when their drawn all bulky looking since you don't see that often, or maybe the Winter turtles. To save space in the line they could just have it come with all the turtles weapons so they don't have to make one of each, and the Winter turtles you didn't know who was who anyways.

But yeah I'm really excited to see this line. I can't wait for Leatherhead*And I really hope we get him* and Rat King.

Vegita-San
09-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Hell yeah!!

I hope they can do stuff that Playmates has sorley been lacking in. Like originality.

How cool would a remote control mouser be? Or a Technodrome the size of the 15" stay Puft toy?

Roseangelo
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
How cool would a remote control mouser be? Or a Technodrome the size of the 15" stay Puft toy?

Well, I'm pretty sure there's a 0% chance of the second one happening. And I'm not aware of NECA releasing motorized toys, but it would be cool.

DeadAsWarhol
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
as far as variant/alt. versions, maybe we'll see stuff like cyborg donatello or shredder raphael from the image comics.

Slash
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
as far as variant/alt. versions, maybe we'll see stuff like cyborg donatello or shredder raphael from the image comics.

I'd doubt it due to Laird not willing to see Image or TNM references ever...