PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Begins

cross
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Spitfire
10-14-2007, 07:31 PM
While that's a great idea I think they wouldn't do it because everything is pushed to be CGI now. On top of that I don't think they can afford costumes or CGI for the turtles. That's why the new movie was all CGI.

But if it was to happen no questions asked I'd love to see a City At War movie, a close to comic one with some of that raw TMNT brutality. The comic is perfect for that, the issues feel like I'm watching something.

Mr. Stay Puft
10-14-2007, 10:07 PM
If they were to reboot the film franchise, I'd love to see them do a trilogy with a PG-13 rating. The trilogy would be broken down like so:

TMNT: Origins

Based on vol. 1, #1 and Raphael #1, with elements from vol. 1, #2 and #3.

The first movie would involve the first fight with the Purple Dragons, Raph meeting Casey Jones, the Turtles meeting with April. The turtles would begin finding more info on Shredder and the Foot, facing Foot ninja at various points in the film. The climax of the film is the brutal fight between Shredder and the turtles. The fight scene would be true to the comic, right down to Shredder's demise. The film ends with Foot ninjas absconding with pieces of Shredders blood stained armor.

TMNT: Dark Karma.

Based on Leonardo #1, vol. 1, #10-11, 19-21

This one opens with the turtles exploring the sewers and discovering Foot ninjas patrolling the sewers. The turtles and Splinter decide the sewers are no longer safe and move in with April. From that point on, it is almost a direct adaption of Leonardo #1 and "Silent Partner". The group retreats to Northampton, where Leo is allowed to recuperate. After some time, they all recover mentally and spiritually and start planning a return to NY to finish Shredder once and for all. After the epic fight to Shredder, Leonardo engages Shredder one-on-one and wins. The movie ends with the turtles, Splinter, April and Casey setting Oroku Saki's corpse on a raft and setting it afire and watching as it drifts off.

TMNT: City at War

Based on vol. 1, #50-62

This movie would finish the film story for the Foot. With the different factions of the Foot at war with one another after Shredder's death, the turtles find themselves caught in the middle. The turtles ally themselves with Karai, the leader of the Foot's Japanese branch to put an end to the chaos before more innocents are killed. Given the somewhat disjointed setup of CaW, the best way to adapt it would be to focus on the main storyline of the turtles, Karai and the Foot. The movie would end with a truce between the turtles and the Foot, and Casey proposing to April, giving a sense of closure for the trilogy, but not ruling out future sequels.

Roseangelo
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I cannot be the only person tired of the re-hashing of comic book stories. Ugh.

poprob
10-14-2007, 10:43 PM
I'd love to see a more serious TMNT live action movie along the lines of the first movie...

I think the live movies brought a sense of realism to the characters that is more difficult to convey with cgi. While some fans (myself included) will basically go along with anything related to the Turtles, some still unfortunately relate the cgi genre to a more "kiddy/cartoon" medium. It's going to take some time to break that cycle. I think the recent TMNT movie may have made some ground in doing so.

I think if a City At War type storyline was attempted it would only be proper to up the rating and go all the way with it, as far as maturity level (not that violence equals maturity, but I mean that no punches should be held back, so to speak) - no matter if the story was attempted in live action or cgi form.

By the way, did anyone else notice in the commentary for the TMNT dvd, Kevin Monroe hinted and an interest in doing a City at War story, right during the first few minutes of the movie? Interesting...

But yeah, I would've loved to have seen a live action "City at War" sequel done directly after the first movie, with the same crew, ect. I think they were all on the right track there. It would've been interesting.

Maybe one day, one way or another we'll get it.

cross
10-15-2007, 01:59 AM

Kendamu
10-15-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm not. I'd lke to see more of the comic storylines get onto the big screen.

Sure, Shredder's been done. But there's definitely more to the old books than that which can be used for movies.

SLASH!!!
10-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Batman Begins had a PG rating and the setting and tone were pretty dark and gritty.

Batman Begins was PG-13. If it was PG it would have een seriously toned down.

They should just be allowed to make the best movie the can make, and not be restricted by censorship and running times that all animated are forced to have.

Drtooth
10-15-2007, 09:31 AM
While that's a great idea I think they wouldn't do it because everything is pushed to be CGI now. On top of that I don't think they can afford costumes or CGI for the turtles. That's why the new movie was all CGI.

Which is why i'm glad they went all CGI and not partially CGI with live actors. While the movie would also be more expensive, it would be just....artificial looking. Sometimes a movie that uses CGI characters feels right, but Star Wars episode 1 for example, it's like watching 2 films that are forced to be together. The CGI stuff does its own thing, and the live actors pretend to talk to them... doesn't really work.

I'd hate for them to reboot the franchise now. If they were to make a gritty fourth origin story retelling, I'd love a DTV film that's pg13 and based soley off the book.

I would love to see a rendering of City at War for TMNT 2

poprob
10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm thinking a City at War-ish story could be easily explained in the next movie by having half the Foot split off with an emerging Utrom Shredder (what can I say, I like that character) and the other half staying with Karai's "buisiness-like" rent-a-Foot, ultimately helping the Turtles defeat the Utrom Shredder.

Whatever the case, I want to see some Utroms, Elite Guards and at least one Triceraton in the next movie.

Mr._Mutant_Man
10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Like Superman, I really don't want to see a reboot because IMO they got it pretty much right the first time.

Batman was different. Not only did things really go downhill, but there was a lot of room for improvement with the first movie as well. I mean, Batman going around killing whatever criminal he wants? I guess you can argue that's adapting the first few Batman stories in Detective Comics. Plus here's hoping Joker will be a lot cooler this time around. Jack Nicholson was great as always...but it was pretty much Jack Nicholson as a clown as opposed to feeling like the Joker.

ToTheNines
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Mabey some day, like after the CGI series is done. I would want a decent contiuation of the original film.

Colliwog
10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I looove the very first movie; I wish they could go back to that whole style. :ohwell:

cross
10-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Roseangelo
10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
How come they said they were able to do actions in cgi that they couldn't do in a live action? From my understanding anything is possible, look at Spider-Man 3, and how Spider-Man is constantly diving off buildings. Did they use a cgi Spider-Man for these parts?

Yes they did.

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Like Superman, I really don't want to see a reboot because IMO they got it pretty much right the first time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying Superman Returns was a remake? If that is what you are saying, that would be incorrect. SR was a continuation of the Reeve films.

Mr._Mutant_Man
10-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying Superman Returns was a remake? If that is what you are saying, that would be incorrect. SR was a continuation of the Reeve films.

I realize that. What I meant was that I'm glad they didn't go in the same direction as Batman Begins because they didn't really need to. There are some that wanted a remake though, which I don't get. Donner's movie is just fine, aside from the odd ending.

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Odd ending, as in Superman changing the earth's rotation?

Mr._Mutant_Man
10-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Odd ending, as in Superman changing the earth's rotation?

Yeah. It just seemed very pre-crisis "Superman can do anything". Which I guess makes sense because that movie came out before the crisis. :)

I know that it was originally supposed to be the ending to Superman II, but then the whole thing happened where they had to get Superman I out there so they didn't finish Donner's Superman II and they threw the II ending to the end of Part 1.

TheAnimatedSeries
10-17-2007, 11:52 PM
The franchise would have been better off if they could have gotten live-action with CGI turtles. It worked in LOTR and other hit films, but of course the Turtles cant get that much funding this far from the 90's.

As an all CGI movie it could have been taken more seriously if the CGI characters were designed to look like real humans instead of Pixar characters. I seriously felt that if someone were to explode in the climax of TMNT, their face would just blacken like a Bugs Bunny. There was no sense of danger because the characters were just goofy ass cartoons. This isnt even the case with the 2003 show which has much better character designs.

HURRM. Also: I forgot what this thread is even about.

ZariusTwo
10-18-2007, 01:12 AM
The CGI movie was about a theatrical revival of a franchise long dormant that, for the most part, had always been considered a children's series meant to feature goofy characters and sarcasm pouring from the shells coupled with action.

The day some purists get that into their skulls, the better off we'll all be with enjoying it instead of looking for problems that simply arent there

ToTheNines
10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
There was no sense of danger because the characters were just goofy ass cartoons.

I disagree. The character design didn't compromise the realism very much... considering it was about mutant turtles fighting immortal statues there wasn't much to begin with. I loved the movie and I'm very happy it was CG.

Wildcat
10-18-2007, 11:12 PM
NO

The whole "so-and-so" Begins thing has been waaaaaaaay over done.....its just a stupid clich'e now in my opinion.

I'll admit Id like too see something along the lines of when Splinter first became a rat and found the turtles,trained them and so-on....but NOT as a movie....maybe a 3 part cartoon episode or some bonus prequel thing packed in with DVDs or something.....but NO MORE "[insert series name] Begins" Hollywood,please,no more.

Sage Ninja
10-18-2007, 11:56 PM
As much as I would have liked Live Action with CGI turtles I think the new movie did a good job of reviving the gritty feel of the comics into the media with CGI. I some what agree about the human characters, it would have been nice if they had looked a little less cartoony and more realistic (like in the Shrek movies) but the human characters look sort of oddly balanced out the turtles designs.

And I don't think the the new movie feeling less real than the first live action movie had anything to do with it being CGI. I think it was because the CGI movie involved monsters and immortal aztec warriors unlike the first live action movie that involved city gangs and run aways and undergroud crime.

odupianist
10-19-2007, 08:04 AM
They should have just pulled out the first movie suits and made a movie from those after touching up the suits. I was disappointed initially to hear that they were doing CGI, but I gave them a chance and I was impressed. I still miss the real feel of the first movie though.

cross
10-19-2007, 03:30 PM

cross
10-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Serp
10-20-2007, 01:21 AM

No. you aren't the only one. I feel the same way; well I'm not really tired of comic book adaptions, I just prefer original stories. I don't feel that the Original TMNT movies need to be redone or restarted. To me, they are fine as they are.