PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Pizza Points?

Doc Scarealot
10-25-2007, 02:40 PM
When I was a kid I was almost obssesed witht the Pizza Points as I was with the figures. I remember trading other toys (gi joe, star wars) to other kids for their points.

I think it would be great if they brought them back. Could be used for exclusive figure like Bigfoot, or exclusive merchandise not sold in stores.

Drtooth
10-25-2007, 03:29 PM
What did Pizza Points do, actually? I don't recall hearing of any mail in premiums. I never really got into those.

I do fondly remember the Bio cards on the back of Playmates toys. Earthworm jim and The Addams Family had them too!

tmntman
10-25-2007, 04:01 PM
What did Pizza Points do, actually? I don't recall hearing of any mail in premiums. I never really got into those.

From what I recall, nothing. That's why they were dropped. Outside of Hasbro/Kenner, such points were never used much in the 80's. But a lot of lines included them.

But these days, you would be asked to send in the UPC's instead anyway so they can track what you actually bought and so you can't just return it. So there really is no point in creating Pizza points or something similar. However, if they were going to start a long term points/rewards system, giving certain items greater value would be nice. (For example, a carded figure = 1 point. The boxed General packs would be at least 2 points.)

BigApple3AM
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Actually there was a catalog you would get and with those pizza points you would "buy" stuff. I can't recall perfectly, but I think I remember it being a mix of cash plus pizza points. I remember as a kid thinking it was a really awful deal, the prices/amount of points compared to what you would get. That plus there wasn't anything worth having in there. It was like stickers and crap.

I remember that the pizza points redemption was close to my home too.

pannoni1
12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
With all of those MOC figures, it wouldn't be wise to cut off those labels unless if opened in terms of collector's value. But the pizza points system just wasn't marketed properly and was mostly under the radar as kids cared more about the toys rather than the packaging. But Playmates is still around, and is free to bring back the system, including the redemption of classics. It's similar to those point systems in comic books where if you sell a number of items, you get points and can redeem some really good stuff from video games to music players. It can add appeal to the consumer by having some "bonus" with the purchase of enough items.

These are some of the pizza point values on my figures:
-Single figures: 1 pizza point
-Mutations series: 2 pizza points
-Turtlecopter: 4 pizza points
-Technodrome: 8 pizza points

In addition to having the catalog figures for the X amount of pizza points as stated, I could expand it by having a comic for 5 pizza points, a new video game for 25 pizza points, and a free Pizza Hut large pizza for 10 pizza points!

Feel free to add your memories with the pizza points system. I'd like to see some other pizza points values in addition to the few listed above, how many pizza points the items in that catalog cost, and your opinions on returning this system.

Metropoliskid41
12-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah I would be alright with them bringing back the Pizza Points system or idea but more practically used. Transformers G1 really had it right with all of the mail away figures you could get, they really had some neat figures that were mail away exclusives, same goes for GI JOE. Hasbro still does it for Star Wars exclusives, I think it'd be a cool way to get figures in the Turtle lines that may not exist in the new comic or cartoon, but classic Characters that you could get a figure of done in the same style as the new toon or comic. For example, Slash may not make an appearance in the new toon or comic but I'd still love to get a Slash figure in the same design as the other figures from that line if that makes sense.

Stingray69
12-27-2011, 01:09 PM
http://iwantpizza.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/points1.jpg?w=900

Heres a pic of some of the stuff you could get with pizza points.
The only thing that sucks is even with the pizza points you dint get a good deal on the items. Like the visor is was $6.00 and 2 pizza points. Or $6.50 and no pizza points.

edit just found this is on flickr it seem to have the hole catalog.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/terrible2z/5822237695/in/photostream/

Cowabunga Carl
12-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I would love to see something like this. But I would want it to be worth it and not hats and shirts.

Metropoliskid41
12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah agreed, I would want it to be special edition figures or exclusives. And I would assume since they'd be mail away figures that they wouldn't come carded...which would save a considerable amount of cost. I work at an ink company, you would be surprised how much of the price of an end product is tied up into the packaging and graphics than the actual good itself.

junkboy
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Since i collect all my action figures in their boxes, i guess pizza points would be not an important thing for me.
and i remember doing nothing with them in the past, when i was i kid and actually opening the packages of action figures and playing with them.

TheCanadiandrome
12-27-2011, 09:28 PM
These are some of the pizza point values on my figures:
-Single figures: 1 pizza point
-Mutations series: 2 pizza points
-Turtlecopter: 4 pizza points
-Technodrome: 8 pizza points

8 points for the Drome?

Metropoliskid41
12-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah but then it still cost you cash in addition to that. It was probably $20 or so + the 8 Pizza Points

Dragnskull
12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
personally, I -hate- these point systems.

in the past and now they are a joke. the concept is nice but the actual value they give the points are junk.

for example, i just recently made a big purchase from gamestop:

-new xbox (299.99)
-used xbox (115)
-2x new games (49.99 each)
-2x used games (9.99 each)
-6x used games (15.99 each)
-2x used games (34.99 each)
-wireless controller
-3x battery + charger kits (17 each)
-60gb hdd (34)

the total was +/- 800 dollars. when I made this purchase they signed me up to the gamestop reward points or w/e. Curious, i activated it when I got home and saw I had accumulated 3600 points. Wowie! i figured that must be a ton, afterall I just bought two complete gaming setups.

checking out what I could get, I was expecting enough for a controller, or a used game, maybe if i was lucky a new game or two, at LEAST a subscription to game informer (I thought this was something u always got when spending x amount of money in-store...guess that changed years ago, i dont shop videogames anymore)

low and behold, I was able to afford one thing: a crappy 5 dollar [guess] rubber bracelet.

wtf. really?

Metropoliskid41
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Wow that is a ridiculous rip-off.

Dragnskull
12-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Wow that is a ridiculous rip-off.

actually speaking of this made me double check. I now have 10600 points. Apparently the games I purchased took some time to load into the account or something.

Anyways, I'm now able to get:
-1 of many choices of modern warfare 3 tshirts
-10 dollars off in-store credit.

800 dollars spent. 20 dollar tshirt or 10 dollars in-store credit. woooo

You'd think if you buy a system and a controller and 6 games [much less x2], that alone would be enough to warrant giving you at -least- a free used game or SOMETHING interesting.

turtles_kolektor
12-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Its the same story with the points that You collect on gas stations. Value of this points is more or less equal zero. But the idea to exchange pizza points to exlusives is nice :) But who will destroy the MOCS to collect points :P

TheCanadiandrome
12-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Yeah but then it still cost you cash in addition to that. It was probably $20 or so + the 8 Pizza Points

That's still not too bad, but I guess it depends on how much the Drome cost

Uki
02-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I found this while perusing the older threads. Given, it seems the system wasn't all that fantastic (I don't think I ever used it.) but how would you guys feel about Playmates using this for the new lines? The Classics could be a great place for this-with the pizza point attached to the UPC code (you'd have to mail in the whole thing) and an entry form in the package for perhaps an exclusive figure or something? I imagine there would be a S&H fee as well, but as others have said, Star Wars has done this with a certain degree of success for years! (Big SW fan, me.) :)

I'd personally LOVE this!

Powder
02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I think it'd be awesome, and it would really show how much Playmates cares.

Foot Soldier Clang
02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I actually wouldn't mind them bringing back Pizza Points. I never had a chance to use the ones I collected. I wonder if they'd accept classic pizza points :tlol:. I mean, with inflation, maybe my 1 pizza point has gone up in value! :trazz:

nofuture4u
02-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I actually wouldn't mind them bringing back Pizza Points. I never had a chance to use the ones I collected. I wonder if they'd accept classic pizza points :tlol:. I mean, with inflation, maybe my 1 pizza point has gone up in value! :trazz:

that would be awesome. That's about the only way I'd be down with pizza points is if they let you use the old ones too and had god crap to get.

pihb
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
800 dollars spent. 20 dollar tshirt or 10 dollars in-store credit. woooo

You'd think if you buy a system and a controller and 6 games [much less x2], that alone would be enough to warrant giving you at -least- a free used game or SOMETHING interesting.

I like Best Buy for reward points. I bought a new imac and received a $25 gift card. that works for me.

Problem is the pizza points hold such a little value that it makes it irrelevant to collect except for nostalgic purposes

Uki
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
that would be awesome. That's about the only way I'd be down with pizza points is if they let you use the old ones too and had god crap to get.

Um...god crap? That would be really scary, really big turds? ;)

I think they'd work best as a "Save X-# of these and send (with a check for $6.95 S&H) to Playmates, get an exclusive Hamato Yoshi with rat figure or something.

DonatelloFan
02-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I've never heard of someone buying TWO systems at the same time. Or even to have two in the house. That's unusual and crazy to me.

I would be up for the Pizza Points, but like others have said, if it gets you something like collectible figures, or something really special. Something that would actually be worth it to collectors, and not just casual fans.

I remember the Pizza Points back in the day, but I never had many of them. I think I even saved them for a while.

AcidBurn30
02-21-2012, 06:31 AM
yeah, they should bring back pizza point..i miss it!

pannoni1
02-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Found this listing with the 1994 selection. As you can see, its mostly junk. Even the silver coin set at $35 (that's what I paid recently for one) wasn't a great buy at the time considering silver back then was only around $6 and ounce. A pizza point was worth approximately 12 1/2 cents, but it really stinks that they can only cover a small minority of the purchase price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Pizza-Point-Collectors-Catalog-1994-/110829433637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cdf2f325

juxtapose519
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I still have the Christmas ornament that I got from the pizza points catalogue and it goes on my tree every year.

I also got my mouser as a mail-away offer on the labels of Ninja Turtles Spaghetti-O's cans. Not exactly pizza points, but same idea.

I think it was a great promotion that I'd be happy to see come back. It's a great way to get access to stuff that isn't available at retail. Sure you still have to shell out some cash, but it's still awesome.

Dragnskull
02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
I like Best Buy for reward points. I bought a new imac and received a $25 gift card. that works for me.

Problem is the pizza points hold such a little value that it makes it irrelevant to collect except for nostalgic purposes

I hate bestbuy and every detail of how that store operates. Ontop of which that 25 dollars you got as a gift card doesnt make up for the 200 dollar increase on the price tag

I've never heard of someone buying TWO systems at the same time. Or even to have two in the house. That's unusual and crazy to me.

I would be up for the Pizza Points, but like others have said, if it gets you something like collectible figures, or something really special. Something that would actually be worth it to collectors, and not just casual fans.

I remember the Pizza Points back in the day, but I never had many of them. I think I even saved them for a while.

I've known many people to have two of the same systems in one household. However, in my situation I was buying xmas presents.

Discogod
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
No to any Pizza Points or other mail-in premiums. They'd no doubt only be available to the USA, meaning collectors from elsewhere in the world would either have to try and get them from friends/contacts in America or pay way over the odds on secondary sites.

Been through this too many times before, and more often than not it's resulted in me dropping the line. It's basically penalizing consumers for not living within a specific area.