PDA

View Full Version : I Went Sky Diving

Spitfire
11-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Okay so my Dad wanted to do something with me before his wedding as a sort of bachelor party, he wanted to spend the day with me instead of having a party. As a joke I said "Why don't you go sky diving" Well his fiancé heard the joke and thought it would be funny to actually sign us up.

So we drove over to the middle of no where and on with it we were. I was totally fine up until we were up in the plane and actually about to do it. I'm not going to say I was scared but I was having second thoughts. The plane ascended 13000 feet into the air and they rolled up the door*The door was just fabric* I was the first one to go out. My instructor told me to cross my arms and stick my legs out, he said the second I did we were going. I didn't think about it I just put on my goggles and swung my legs out of the plane.

I felt like I was being sucked out and before I knew it I was falling towards the ground really fast. The wind was pushing against me and the thrill of it all was over whelming. I wasn't scared or frightened, I knew I'd be okay because I was strapped to a professional, I was in total shock at how I had just pushed myself to do something that crazy. I never ever thought I'd do something like that.

Anyways I fell for about a minute and then the guy pulled the chute and we floated down. Quite the view, truly amazing. On the way down he gave me some quick landing instructions but it wasn't soon enough and my legs ate dirt but I was okay.

Overall it was a total blast! I think I would do it again.

Has anyone else gone before?

Cure
11-18-2007, 01:09 AM
You're lucky. I've always wanted to go, but I've always said if I do, that I'd take the classes so I wouldn't have to go with some guy on my back. Do the whole freestyle thing.

Swany
11-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I've never skydived. Would like to try it though. I've done aerobatics before and I just loved the feeling when I was upside down, hanging out my seat, not dizzy or anything but just the sensation of just being suspended in the air. Water above me and sky below. Incredible.

I would love to try skydiving though. Nothing says "rush" like plummeting toward the very hard, solid earth.

And now I think of 'The Hitchikers Guide' I wonder if it'll be my friend. Hello Ground" *splat*

Nah, in utter seriousness. That really sounds amazing. Glad you had a good time.

OA
11-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Yea, I went skydiving some years back and the experience was just as you described, except I had a view of Monterrey in California. The absoulte scariest part is when you're hangin out of the door of the plane just about to make the plunge. I remember thinking that I was about to intentionally jump out of a plane and what the hell I was doing. Then we take the jump and it was just amazing. The rush for that first minute or so when you're speeding through the air like a rocket is incredible and when the chute opens and you slowly take it all in is just as awesome.

It takes some major stones to do it but its completely worth it.

Spitfire
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
You're lucky. I've always wanted to go, but I've always said if I do, that I'd take the classes so I wouldn't have to go with some guy on my back. Do the whole freestyle thing.

Actually the classes are being strapped to a pro. I asked the guy and he said you have to do about 10 jumps strapped to someone till your good off to do it by yourself.

But yeah it's a crazy rush. I was going to do Monterey next time.

Roseangelo
11-18-2007, 01:46 PM

Hey, that's my neighborhood. I think I know where the landing area is, as I've actually driven by while people were dropping out of the sky.

Cure
11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Actually the classes are being strapped to a pro. I asked the guy and he said you have to do about 10 jumps strapped to someone till your good off to do it by yourself.

Oh, I was told differently. Oh well, it'd still be fun.

Ra
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
You know, I've always had a curiosity for sky diving...but I think I'll piss my pants when I'm up in the plane about to jump out. I don't know...the thought of falling scares me to no end. Weird...

At least you had a blast. Sounds like you had a great time! :)

Janus Prospero
11-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Went skydiving about 2 years ago (Tandem of course.)

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5554/skydive118ok.jpg

The initial pushing away from the plane was a bit of a rush, but after that it was very very...peaceful. Yes, even the free fall. I don't say this to belittle the experience, it was a very good feeling. But one that I wasn't really expecting.

Let's see...here's my LJ quote from the jump:
We left our safe haven at about 13,000 feet, fell for a little less than a minute, and then pulled our chutes at 5,000 feet. After the slight “Whoa” feeling from initially falling out of the aircraft, the remainder of the fall was very relaxing. Free falling was just so peaceful and serene. I can’t even explain how cool it was. It didn’t even feel like I was falling, so much as having wind whip by me really fast. We were so high up that it didn’t seem like the ground was coming at me at all. It felt more like flying then falling. Also, I never once experienced vertigo as you would from standing on a tall building. So cool an experience. Also, it was really cool to see Arizona from so high up. The great mountains, which seem like towering giants from the ground, are mere bumps at a couple thousand feet.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. As you said, it is certainly something you want to do again right after you get on the ground. Did you get it taped or anything?

ThirdMarioBro
11-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I really want to do this myself.

Glad you had fun Spit. :)

RAM BAM
11-22-2007, 08:57 AM
That is one thing I have to do in this lifetime.

Buslady
11-22-2007, 10:57 AM
any piccies??? :D

I'm too chicken$#!+ to do anything like that, strapped to a pro or not. Sounds like it was a really cool experience. I love the view of the earth from up high, you realise how gorgeous our planet is.
Just thinking about what it must look like up there, out in the open and NOT in a plane...I'd probably be blubbering over the beauty of it all. HAHAHHAA!!!!!!

Spitfire
11-24-2007, 01:05 AM
No pics sorry guys, it was like 100 for pics and video and I'm poor. But my Dad got them haha his video is pretty funny, his expression is very "How do I react to this!"

Voltron
11-25-2007, 03:36 AM
Actually, I did this too. I also went Rocky Mountain climbing. Plus, I spent 2.7 seconds on a bull named Foomanchoo.

Janus Prospero
11-28-2007, 01:27 AM
I spent 2.7 seconds on a bull named Foomanchoo.

I killed that bull with my bare hands and ate it...all in one sitting.