PDA

View Full Version : TRUE Metal fans????

Fugitoid Jones
12-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Hey y'all, just wondering if there are any fans of true metal on here. If your down with heavy/power/hair/fantasy metal, list your top fav bands! (Slipknot, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin and the like are not allowed:dead:)

Here are my top 13:

13. Megadeth
12. Edguy
11. Crystal Eyes
10. Judas Priest
9. Nightwish
8. Twisted Sister
7. Sabaton
6. DragonForce
5. Metallica
4. Helloween
3. Iron Maiden
2. Manowar
1. Hammerfall

PAAATE
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
"True" metal is a sad choice of words...

But right now I'm really into

Lamb of God
Fear Factory
Faithful Darkness (a local band www.myspace.com/faithfulldarkness)

KROW
12-12-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm a metalhead. My favorites are (in no particular order):

- Type O Negative
- Metallica
- Megadeth
- Iron Maiden
- Fear Factory
- G//Z/R
- Obituary
- Napalm Death
- Nightwish
- Anthrax
- Godsmack
- Twisted Sister
- Rob Zombie (including White Zombie)
- Guns N' Roses

There are more, but I can't remember them all right now. Once Spitfire gets here, though, he'll probably mention a few that I like.

Fugitoid Jones
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
"True" metal is a sad choice of words...

"True" metal is metal that is defined as metal and only metal, wether it be hair or power or fantasy metal, it's still metal, where as stuff like Limp Bizkit could be defined as "nu-metal" or rap-metal. True metal isn't a mix of genres. So that wasn't a "sad choice of words", just the ever lovin' truth.

Type O Negative
- Metallica
- Megadeth
- Iron Maiden
- Fear Factory
- G//Z/R
- Obituary
- Napalm Death
- Nightwish
- Anthrax
- Godsmack
- Twisted Sister
- Rob Zombie (including White Zombie)
- Guns N' Roses

That's a good list there, friend.

Spitfire
12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh boy don't get me started on true metal. I will say any band that plays in drop C and uses constant double bass that has clean vocals is not true metal.

Dark Tranquillity - Favorite band, From Haven - Current only
Arch Enemy - From Wages Of Sin -Current only
Children Of Bodom - From Hatebreeder - Current only
In Flames - From Jester's Race To Clayman only
Cradle Of Filth - From Vempire - Current, some CDs I don't like or only like a few songs off of.
Dimension Zero - All
Nightrage - Descent Into Chaos and a few songs off Sweet Vengence
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, Some songs off Death Cult Armageddon
Soilwork - Chainheart Machine only
Norther - Mirror Of Madness only
The Haunted - One Kill Wonder only
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul only
Therion - Secret Of The Runes and Siruis B only
Hellhound - Ice Age
Devildriver - Some songs spread out through all their CDs
Testament - The Gathering, First Strike Still Deadly only
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying, Rust In Peace, and a few songs off United Abominations
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden, The Number Of The Beast, Somewhere In Time, Powerslave, Brave New World, Dance Of Death, and A Matter of Life And Death
Metallica - Kill'em All - Master Of Puppets only
Slayer - Show No Mercy, Reign In Blood, Decade Of Aggression only

As you can see I'm extremely selective when it comes to music. Even my favorite bands do crap I hate.

PAAATE
12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
"True" metal is metal that is defined as metal and only metal, wether it be hair or power or fantasy metal, it's still metal, where as stuff like Limp Bizkit could be defined as "nu-metal" or rap-metal. True metal isn't a mix of genres. So that wasn't a "sad choice of words", just the ever lovin' truth.

Ok, I don't really wanna get into this discussion, since I feel it won't get anywhere, but I just have to say...

You mean industrial metal like Fear Factory doesn't count? Since industrial is a genre...

And Lamb of God doesn't count since they're metalcore?

And also, I don't think of rapmetal and numetal as the same genre. Rapmetal is Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park's first and second album and numetal is stuff like Korn-album 1-6 or Slipknot's first (even though it's kinda more experimental than a regular numetal-album)

And another thing (omg.. :P) I don't see rapmetal as a mix of genres, I see it as metal with influence from rap...

Thank you and good night, I have to wake up in four hours... -.- ****ing insomnia...

Ecto Jedi
12-12-2007, 08:53 PM
By hair metal I assume you mean "glam" metal, which is the more respectful term. In that regard:

Def Leppard
Autograph
Dokken
Judas Priest (namely their album Turbo)
Van Halen
Cinderella
Extreme
Whitesnake

It's basically all I listen to.

jeff the cheff
12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I enjoy metal, but I don't really listen to it regularly. Theres a lot of stuff I would probably like but have never heard of and don't have the time to find it all.

Fugitoid Jones
12-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Alright, I guess because everyone seems to have a problem with my Manowar inspired call for "true metal", just list your favorite metal bands, whatever style of metal it may be. You can even go ahead and list Vanilla Ice as one of your favs, nobody will pick on ya.:|

PAAATE
12-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Alright, I guess because everyone seems to have a problem with my Manowar inspired call for "true metal", just list your favorite metal bands, whatever style of metal it may be. You can even go ahead and list Vanilla Ice as one of your favs, nobody will pick on ya.:|

My favorite metalbands are Britney Spears and that guy with the accordion

Uhh... No... My fav-bands right now are the ones I listed in an above post... Just tried to show that "true metal" is subjective, and there really is no such thing... Uhm... Yeah.. Kind of what I wanted to write.. I'm tired...:sleep:

GK Punk
12-13-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm a big fan of Megadeth, Alice in Chains, Pantera, Zombie, Sevendust, stuff like that.

Wanda
12-13-2007, 05:55 AM
"True" metal is metal that is defined as metal and only metal, wether it be hair or power or fantasy metal, it's still metal, where as stuff like Limp Bizkit could be defined as "nu-metal" or rap-metal. True metal isn't a mix of genres.

So if True Metal (tm) doesn't mix genres, why do you consider Nightwish as true metal?

Or even metal. I can't remember it have been heavy for...what? Last fives years at least. :lol:

There's so much of different types of heavy/metal I see a need for more spesific cathegories.

I consider metal as one of the sub genres of heavy music. I usually refer music to metal if it's heavy and somehow emphasized in rhythm and bass section (prolly the same thing you refer to nu-metal. Rap-metal is a term I haven't heard of), such as Korn or System Of A Down for example. 'Hair metal' would prolly consist of genres I call heavy-, glam- or hard rock.

I do listen to heavy/metal quite regularly, and when I'm visiting night clubs they are mostly heavy bars. Good bands have been listed here, but I'd like to mention W.A.S.P. My all time favorite.

Fugitoid Jones
12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
So if True Metal (tm) doesn't mix genres, why do you consider Nightwish as true metal?

Cause they f'n rock, that's why!!!!!!

Let's just say that "true metal (tm)" are bands that f'n kick ass and rock hard.

Good grief, I had no idea people would have such a big problem with a stupid saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitoid Jones
Alright, I guess because everyone seems to have a problem with my Manowar inspired call for "true metal", just list your favorite metal bands, whatever style of metal it may be. You can even go ahead and list Vanilla Ice as one of your favs, nobody will pick on ya.

My favorite metalbands are Britney Spears and that guy with the accordion

http://www.live-metal.net/pic_ice.jpg

cowabunga14
12-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Let's see here...

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Judas Priest
DragonForce
Rammstein
Iced Earth
Anthrax
Manowar
Rhapsody
System of A Down
Helloween
Fear Factory
HammerFall

Wanda
12-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Cause they f'n rock, that's why!!!!!!
Good grief, I had no idea people would have such a big problem with a stupid saying.

Chill out, darling. :wink: I was just amused by the way your definition of the true metal clashed with your own list of bands.

Opeth is also a band I've been listening lately. Almost joined to an opeth-styled band as a guitarist, but somehow the whole project died...well, that was over a year ago anyway.

PAAATE
12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Right now I love more experimental stuff

Gojira (prog-death)
Opeth (prog-death)
Cult of Luna (post-metal)
Neurosis (post-metal)
Tool (Uhh.. Weird sh¡t..)

There are more, but I can't remember them right now.. O_o Whatever

AquaParade
12-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm not a "metal head" per say. I'm into a lot of different types of music, but my favorite metal bands would have to be...

Embrace the End

Between the Buried and Me

and sorry...Slipknot:lol:

If you have'nt heard the first two bands(assuming moooost of you have heard slipknot) I highly highly reccomend it. Coming from any perspective, they are both super talented bands...whether you like that kinda music or not.

Spitfire
12-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Metal only gets mixed into different things when jack offs decide to tag things onto the word metal.

Speed metal, Death metal, Power metal, Heavy metal, Black metal

Those are the 5 basic types of metal and any band I listen to is one of the 5. Power metal is new, created for bands that are new but stick true to the 80's style, in my opinion they all suck but that's just my opinion.

This other crap kids come up with I don't know where the hell it comes from. I had someone tell me Arch Enemy is "Metal-core" I don't know what the hell that means but from my experience anything with "core" tagged onto the end of it is garbage. Being as how Arch Enemy is very technical, full of riffs and solos I'd have to say it doesn't fall into that category.

That's just my input.

PAAATE
12-22-2007, 05:09 AM
I had someone tell me Arch Enemy is "Metal-core"

Any metal that sucks is metalcore to some people.

I don't know what the hell that means

Mix thrash with hardcore and classic metal i.e. not Arch Enemy

but from my experience anything with "core" tagged onto the end of it is garbage. Being as how Arch Enemy is very technical, full of riffs and solos I'd have to say it doesn't fall into that category.

A band isn't great just because of that.. O.o

Some bands get over-technical to the point where it's just boring to listen to, imo

Spitfire
12-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh I know, like Dragon Force...Arch Enemy happens to be one of my favorite bands. Arch Enemy has classical bits especially on their new CD but I don't see those others things you mentioned, thanks for telling me what it meant cause I had no idea.

Fang Wolf
12-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Here is mine...^^

Hammerfall
Judas Priest
Nightwish

That Matt Guy
01-10-2008, 12:18 PM
only true norwegian black metal. gotta be kvlt.

Mr. Stay Puft
02-03-2008, 09:18 PM
For favorite metal bands, at the moment I'd have to say

Bleeding Through
Darkest Hour
Sepultura
Dimmu Borgir
Slayer
All That Remains
Iron Maiden
Dethklok (yes, they are a fictional band, but the musicianship is still there)

Warhorse
02-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Did any of you used to get those old Metal Magazines? I can't even remember what they were called.

But my faves

Slaughter
Warrant
Motley Crue
Guns N Roses
Cinderella
Metallica
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi
Poison
Skid Row

Arcade Joe
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I have been listening to Protest the Hero a lot!!!!! They remind me of another band called Sikth. I really enjoy these two bands, check them out if you havent yet, you may like them.

The new Meshuggah blows my mind. I think it's a comeback from what they have recently released.(Catch 33,I)

PAAATE
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
The new Meshuggah blows my mind. I think it's a comeback from what they have recently released.(Catch 33,I)

Even though I've liked all their albums the latest was so.. Uhm.. My reaction when I started the first song was screaming "HOLY ****!" very loud.. On a bus... That's how good it was.. :P

PAAATE
06-06-2008, 08:36 AM
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul only

Have you seen them live now on their final tour together? :)

I'll see them in about two months.. Can barely wait :D

CudleyCowlick
06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm gonna split this into 2 Top 10s - The old school bands that got me into metal in the first place, and the newer groups that I'm really into lately. Some of the newer groups might not be considered "metal" to some people but I could care less.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Megadeth
3. Iron Maiden
4. Testament
5. Motorhead
6. Sepultura
7. Slayer
8. Hawkwind
9. Melvins
10. White Zombie

1. Boris
2. Deerhoof
3. Genghis Tron
4. Darkest Hour
5. Kylesa
6. Cream Abdul Babar
7. Merzbow
8. Agoraphobic Nosebleed
9. Horse the Band
10. Baroness

There're just too many heavy bands that I like...

Spitfire
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Have you seen them live now on their final tour together? :)

I'll see them in about two months.. Can barely wait :D

I am actually. Should be a great show.

PAAATE
06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I am actually. Should be a great show.

Yeah, they did their only Swedish show yesterday (I'll see them in Germany :S)

And the show got 5/5 in Swedish news paper Aftonbladet.

On the other hand, that's not necessarily a good thing.. In Flames' newest album got 4/5... And that's an album even I can't defend, and I've liked every album up until the newest.. :ohwell:

Spitfire
06-07-2008, 04:23 AM
That's more then I can say. I've tried to like every new album since "Clayman" and I just can't. There's a song here and there I do like, such as "Vanishing Light", but for the most part I just can't stand them. Live however most of their songs sound just fine and they put on quite a good live show.

We will see, I saw The Haunted a year ago and the brothers are still in good shape so it should be interesting.

PAAATE
06-07-2008, 09:03 AM
That's more then I can say. I've tried to like every new album since "Clayman" and I just can't. There's a song here and there I do like, such as "Vanishing Light", but for the most part I just can't stand them. Live however most of their songs sound just fine and they put on quite a good live show.

We will see, I saw The Haunted a year ago and the brothers are still in good shape so it should be interesting.

Well, it's good to hear In Flames and The Haunted are good live, cos I'll see them too this summer.. And about 50 other bands... Cos I'm going to three festivals, w00tw00t :|

Spitfire
06-07-2008, 05:10 PM
That's the #1 thing I wish they had here in the US. I almost fly to Germany I believe it was last summer to go to a fest that featured virtually every band I like. Here we only have Ozzfest, which I personally find gets worse every year. They're getting so bad in fact there's only going to be one Ozzfest show in the US this year and it's in Texas. I stopped going a few a years ago. I got tired of going just for 3 bands. One year Slayer and Judas Priest played which was great and another year Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy, and Rob Zombie. But I have to sit through 20 hardcore bands before I get to what I like usually and they only play a 20 minute set so it's hardly worth it.

My dream is to go to the Stockholm Fest some year. One year Iron Maiden headlined and on top of that Dark Tranquillity. Arch Enemy, and I think Children Of Bodom all played. It was back on Maiden's "Brave New World" tour. That would have been quite a show.

PAAATE
06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
That's the #1 thing I wish they had here in the US. I almost fly to Germany I believe it was last summer to go to a fest that featured virtually every band I like. Here we only have Ozzfest, which I personally find gets worse every year. They're getting so bad in fact there's only going to be one Ozzfest show in the US this year and it's in Texas. I stopped going a few a years ago. I got tired of going just for 3 bands. One year Slayer and Judas Priest played which was great and another year Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy, and Rob Zombie. But I have to sit through 20 hardcore bands before I get to what I like usually and they only play a 20 minute set so it's hardly worth it.

My dream is to go to the Stockholm Fest some year. One year Iron Maiden headlined and on top of that Dark Tranquillity. Arch Enemy, and I think Children Of Bodom all played. It was back on Maiden's "Brave New World" tour. That would have been quite a show.

You should really try to get to Wacken Open Air in Germany some year.. I'm going there in less than two months.. My first year there, so I'm kinda nervous but I'm going with a classmate that was there last year.. :)

If that's too expensive, there's the Metaltown festival in Gothenburg.. They have some of the bigger bands that Wacken has too and it's cheaper..

But the Metaltown festival is only two days and it's in downtown Gothenburg, so there's no camping.. If you want proper sleep you'll have to get a hotelroom or something.. Me and my friend will just sleep right outside the festival area, hopefully not getting robbed or driven away.. :P Stupid, but exciting and cheap xP

ToxicRevolution
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I've mostly been into blackened thrash, old school death & black metal, crossover thrash, and doom these days. I've been listening to a lot of:

Destroyer 666
Bathory (up through The Return...)
Burzum
Gospel of the Horns
Hellhammer
Gallhammer
Nunslaughter
Impaled
Carcass
D.R.I.
Ghoul
Toxic Holocaust
Municipal Waste
Electric Wizard
Ahab
Orange Goblin
Church Of Misery
Cathedral
Pentagram
Goatsnake
Reverend Bizarre

Voltron
07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm what you'd call a false metal fan. I tend to rock out to really hard tunes as only Creed or Charlotte Sometimes can dish out. I know some people can't handle the sheer fury of these two super powers of rock, but, hey, that's where we separate the men from the boys.

HEADBANG!
:thyper:

. . .That's really more of a bob, on second thought.

Spitfire
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I guess I'm not either because I only believe there's 5 or 6 genres of metal.

Sewer Bull
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
HEADBANG!
:thyper:

. . .That's really more of a bob, on second thought.

Butabi Bros style, even.