PDA

View Full Version : Live action Akira film back in the works

Raph's Girl
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=ef8dc59c-3a09-45ab-85df-a9d271a781eb&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Leonardo DiCaprio's going in for a 'toon up.

The Hollywood star has signed on to produce a live-action big-screen adaptation of the Japanese anime classic Akira for Warner Bros.

DiCaprio's Appian Way Productions will oversee development on Akira, which is being developed as a franchise, with the first of two planned movies slated to hit theaters in the summer of 2009.

Released in 1988 and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, Akira was based on the director's graphic novels, or manga. It became one of Japan's biggest anime hits and is considered a cult classic.

With eye-popping visuals, the landmark feature-length 'toon followed a band of bikers in postapocalyptic 21st century Tokyo, otherwise known as Neo Tokyo, and a young cyberpunk named Tetsuo. He becomes embroiled in a mysterious government project known as Akira that grants him psychic powers and disturbing hallucinations. It's up to Tetsuo's friends to stop him before his dormant power unleashes destruction on the city.

As of now, DiCaprio is not expected to star in the films.

Akira will be helmed by first-time filmmaker Ruairi Robinson and is being written by Gary Whitta.

Coproducing with DiCaprio is Andrew Lazar of Mad Chance Productions and Jennifer Davisson, president of Appian Way.

DiCaprio's company has long been trying to get Akira off the ground, initially acquiring the rights years ago and rotating through a string of producers , including Jon Peters, and directors like Stephen Norrington (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and the singularly named Pitof (Catwoman).

The rights eventually lapsed and were snapped up by Warner Bros.

One major change is that the action will be set in New York City this time around, instead of Tokyo.

Robinson came to the attention of Hollywood executives after scoring an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Short for the sci-fi comedy Fifty Percent Grey.

Fugitoid Jones
02-25-2008, 02:43 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm not crazy about them changing the setting to New York, but I am happy about Leo not acting in it. I don't know, we'll see.

cowabunga14
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I have mixed feelings about this as well. I mean, I don't think it will be as good as the anime version, but I might see it either way.

02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Can an American director and writer really capture the craziness that is Akira? That movie still blows me away every time I watch it.

Mecha Cow
02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I agree, Akira had a certain Japanese weirdness to it that I'm not sure can be retained by a Hollywood approach. But who knows, maybe an interesting new direction will come out of this.

AquaParade
04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing Tetsuo. I still think of him as the goofy kid from 3rd rock to the sun, but that's from the past, so we'll see how he can do. Anyone have an opinion on his acting skills these days? Apparently, a large amount of people still think Leo will be playing Kaneda. Sure, an asian cast would be cooler, but we should expect that not to happen at this point in hollywood, so I could see this working. Still, they should have it set in Neo Tokyo if you ask me. I want all the asian culture, so that's pretty dissapointing. All in all though, I'm extremely psyched for this film. I'm sure it'll get a huge budget and a good chance to do things right. Any word on who will be writing this? I can't believe they were considering the writer of catwoman. Kinda scary even though I have'nt seen the film. And for the last bit of news, you guys probably all know this but its being directed by short film award winner Ruairi Robinson. He has some stuff on youtube if you wanna check it out.

Raph's Girl
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is playing Tetsuo. I still think of him as the goofy kid from 3rd rock to the sun

Well he can soon be seen in Stop Loss and is playing Cobra Commander in the G.I Joe film. So I guess he's good. I haven't seen him since his 3rd Rock days tho. Mostly cuz he's been doing Indie films.