PDA

View Full Version : Mikey's New Name?!

azure turtle
02-27-2002, 04:50 PM
Hey everyone! I remember someone mentioning that Mikey's name changed in the new TMNT comic from "Michaelangelo" to "Michelangelo," the correct spelling. I can't remember who it was (I think it was either SC or HT), but I found it curious, so I wrote to Dan Berger. Here's his response, covered in copy and paste goodness for your enjoyment :grin:

> I just have a quick question regarding the new comic book series from Mirage.
I've noticed that Michaelangelo's name has been changed to Michelangelo. I know that this is the correct spelling, and that Mr. Laird and Mr. Eastmen had accidentally spelled it Michaelangelo in the first comic. I was wondering if this is going to be a permanent change. Will he now go by
Michelangelo throughout the comic books, the new movie, and the new cartoon?

Yup. Peter has regretted the spelling error for many years now, so he plans
on spelling it properly in all future TMNT projects.

> I'm just curious, since I find it weird calling him "Michelangelo" after years
of calling him "Michaelangelo."

It is kinda weird, but we've never been very good about maintaining
continuity. =O)

> I also found it odd that this issue wasn't addressed by Mr. Laird. I know it's a minor thing, but any info. would be greatly appreciated!

I'll forward your mail to him - mebbe he'll print it in issue 3 and address
it there. =O)

HorseTechie
02-27-2002, 05:12 PM
That's interesting. I guess it's a sign that Mike's all grown up now. :lol:

azure turtle
02-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Yep!
*sniff, sniff*
They grow up so quickly!

Skeletoncrew
02-28-2002, 12:49 AM
Maybe its a sign that Mikey is getting forgetful. He missplaced that "a" so now he has to spell his name with one less letter!

azure turtle
02-28-2002, 01:14 AM
Amnesia? Hmm.....maybe they can explain it by having Splinter look at that art book again and realize he misspelled Mikey's name.

SeaThreePeeO
02-28-2002, 01:23 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Michelangelo is the correct spelling of the name. The reason he became Michaelangelo is:-

When Kevin and Peter first started the Mirage comics they didn't have a spell checker on their computer, so they never saw the mistake until it was too late. It is all on Kevin's website.

*Takes of the know it all hat*

Kali
02-28-2002, 01:35 PM
I think most of us knew that already. *shrugs* It's in my spellchecker as Michaelangelo, so I'll probably always spell it like that.

SeaThreePeeO
02-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Sorry! *hangs head in shame*

My spell checker keeps popping it up as Michelangelo, which is so annoying when writting fanfiction. Even better, it thinks I should change Donatello to Monatello.

Kali
02-28-2002, 02:12 PM
LOL! Yeah, I got that at first. Then I just added the names to the dictionary, and I don't have a problem anymore. Of course some of the weapons and japanese terms still give me a problem.

SeaThreePeeO
02-28-2002, 02:22 PM
My computer is real pooie, it won't let me add word.

My name is Nicola Koch, but the computer has renamed me Nicole Loch

Skeletoncrew
02-28-2002, 02:33 PM
Personally I know that Michelangelo is correct, but I like Michaelangelo more.

On an aside, I'm going to be seeing some of the real Michelangelo's art when I'm in Rome!

Machias Banshee
02-28-2002, 03:01 PM
It would be interesting to see how they'll explain the correction.

I like the extra 'a'. Michael angel o. It speaks for itself. :smile:

azure turtle
02-28-2002, 10:29 PM
Yep, I agree. I've grown to like that extra 'a' in his name. I don't think I can start calling him Michelangelo; it's just too weird. He'll always be Michaelangelo. Otherwise, his nicknames wouldn't make sense. They'd have to change Mikey to Mickey. Ugh.

Machias Banshee
02-28-2002, 11:08 PM
*cringe*

Kali
03-01-2002, 11:46 AM
Something just hit me. How are they going to pronounce his name on the new show and in the movie? Will it still be Michaelangelo, or Michelangelo?

Machias Banshee
03-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Well, theyve called him Mike or Mikey all his life, he probly wants it to stay that way.

azure turtle
03-01-2002, 03:36 PM
Let's hope so...
*crosses his fingers*
And ya, I was wondering what pronunciation they were gonna use for the movie and cartoon, too. I'm assuming it'll be Michelangelo, according to Dan's letter.

SPEEd
03-01-2002, 06:01 PM
very intersting

SeaThreePeeO
03-02-2002, 07:43 AM
Oh God! What if this is a trend? They may start calling Raphael Raphaelo!

HorseTechie
03-02-2002, 09:12 AM
Saint Raphael... nah...

Actually, I think they would still say MichAelangelo. It seems on the art nuts and the Italians pronounce the name without tha A sound.

Funny though, like in the end of the first color Mirage Vol 2, they have it that Mike's some kind of indie movie producer, having it as "A Michaelangelo Production". I guess that one isn't going to be true then (Laird overrules many of Lawson's idea's?) Hrm...

Machias Banshee
03-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Saint Raphael? sounds like an oxymoron to me.

But yeah, everyone i talk to pronounces it Michael-angelo.

heh, poor mike. After having to take forever to learn how to spell his name, they want to change it on him!

Kali
03-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Poor kid. Heh heh, ever read The Taskmaster? Very cute little turtles story.

Machias Banshee
03-02-2002, 12:04 PM
that's the one!!! Very cute :smile:

Mike Mike
Mike Mike
Mike Mike
Mike Mike

that is not your name...

but its not fair! *pout*

TMNT Freakazoid
07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
hey kinda off topic (really offtopic :roll: ) but how do you get the pic under your name (im a newbie :P )

TMNT Freakazoid
07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
oops i found out how but where can i get more?

Riph Raph
07-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Saint Raphael? Raphael-o? :o

"All the good ones end in 'o'"

Umm... don't think so.

I can't believe how easily I've started writing/typing Michelangelo. Freaks me out...

They could always use Micky *thinks of The Monkees* :D

TMNT Freakazoid
07-03-2002, 04:53 PM
I know its really weird! I can type it without thinking now :dead:

Kali
07-03-2002, 05:03 PM
I think I'm going to type "Michaelangelo" forever. Mostly because that's how it shows up on my spell checker. I think I'm just being stubborn about it.

TMNT Freakazoid
07-03-2002, 05:05 PM
I know im so used to michaelangelo since my middle name is michael i gota spell it out so thats how i remember :P :P :P :P :P

splint
07-05-2002, 02:01 AM
This does pose a good question.

HorseTechie
07-05-2002, 07:17 AM
Raph's counter attack... "No, the good ones actually end in 'el'!" All the angelic types do, I've noticed. :P

But I was readingt eh letters section in the new ish 4, and Jepahel poitned out that Shadow referred to him as "Rooish" is #3. Silly me didn't even notice that. But Liard explaned that's what his daughter started calling their cat, Mikey. So he thought it be cute to make that Shadow's nick name for Mike. *3-2-1* Awww.... :goofygri:

Kali
07-05-2002, 09:46 AM
I noticed, and figured it was a nick name. I bet she has nick names for all of them. Ooh, I wonder what Raph's is.

Skeletoncrew
07-05-2002, 05:18 PM
How about "Grumpy"? :wink:

enigma-1
07-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Hmm. Sounds about right, though I think that Leo and Casey could probably think of a few others for him. :P

Riph Raph
07-05-2002, 06:38 PM
That's the nicest nickname, prob'ly :D

I can't figure it out, tho... as soon as I read that post & saw "Grumpy", I immediately linked it to "Gusto" :lol: *slaps forehead* Oy, the heat's gotten to me...

azure turtle
07-07-2002, 12:22 AM
LOL! Raph's nickname? Hmm...that'd be interesting. I'm sure Shadow can get away with calling him "grumpy". :razz: I've started spelling Mikey's name the "correct" way, but I still like calling him Mike or Mikey, instead of Michel...as Don calls him in the TMNT letters. Eh...