PDA

View Full Version : Starting an RPG in the chatroom

Raphael_
05-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, since the chatroom is pretty dead, and I'd like to play something that runs a bit faster than a message board RPG, I've decided to run an RPG in the chat, with a scheduled time to be agreed on by whoever wants to play. I've brought in a dice roller bot to take care of any combat, and I'm going to put a web-browsable copy of the TMNT Palladium rules up behind a password (which I'll give anyone who's playing)

The theme is ultimately negotiable, but I'd like to run something somewhere between the grittiness of the original comics and the 2k3 cartoon.

Would anyone here be interested in playing?

Magdolin
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
I would like to. It seems kinda fun. I'll play as Don. Can um, any other character be in it, like, game characters, I understand if i can't.

Raphael_
05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
You'd have to have some kind of backstory to explain why they are in the TMNT universe, and whatever they could do would be restricted to whatever was in the Palladium TMNT game rules.

I'd advise against it, because it moves so much quicker than a message board RPG, but if it's that important to you we can work something out.

Jade Green
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
i would love to do that, only, there is a problem, the psychic powers that Randi possess are very different than the psionics shown in the TMNT palladium book. ALSO, if I read correctly, she gets extra bio points for her mis-matched eyes and colorblindness... not to mention her almost dangerous 'allergic' reaction to certain usually benificial drugs.

Magdolin
05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
You'd have to have some kind of backstory to explain why they are in the TMNT universe, and whatever they could do would be restricted to whatever was in the Palladium TMNT game rules.

I'd advise against it, because it moves so much quicker than a message board RPG, but if it's that important to you we can work something out.

Okay. I understand. Hmm...would it be okay if I played as my character Sora? I'm just asking so that way I know what can accepted, an what can't.

Raphael_
05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
i would love to do that, only, there is a problem, the psychic powers that Randi possess are very different than the psionics shown in the TMNT palladium book. ALSO, if I read correctly, she gets extra bio points for her mis-matched eyes and colorblindness... not to mention her almost dangerous 'allergic' reaction to certain usually benificial drugs.

That sounds correct as far as the quirks go. Also, there may be an expansion book that contains the psionics, do you have an approximation of her stats already written up in Palladium TMNT style?

Okay. I understand. Hmm...would it be okay if I played as my character Sora? I'm just asking so that way I know what can accepted, an what can't.

Well, the point I was trying to get across here was that there is a lot of record-keeping involved in 2 characters played by the same person, and interaction between the two always comes out a little wierd. That's more the problem, not so much who the character is. Again, this isn't a problem so much on post-based RPGs on a message board because it's more a group writing a story versus playing a game in real time.

Just out of curiousity, have you played in a tabletop or chatroom roleplaying game before?

Magdolin
05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Oooh! Heh, Okay, I'll just take Don then. And for the last question. Saldy, not really. But I'm willing to try. First time for everything. Heh. I'll do as best as I can, and if mess up something, let me know, and I'll fix it.:)

Raphael_
05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Oooh! Heh, Okay, I'll just take Don then. And for the last question. Saldy, not really. But I'm willing to try. First time for everything. Heh. I'll do as best as I can, and if mess up something, let me know, and I'll fix it.:)

Don't worry about it. It's just a game.

To everyone: What day of the week is preferable to you? For me, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights are all good.

Raphael_
05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Uhh, this completely dropped off the list and I'm not sure why.

Jade Green
05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
That sounds correct as far as the quirks go. Also, there may be an expansion book that contains the psionics, do you have an approximation of her stats already written up in Palladium TMNT style? yup first or second page of the character topic made by heritic888 for me. But that was with the stipulation that she had all powers since then I have gotten a copy of my own and have seen the rules...

Just out of curiousity, have you played in a tabletop or chatroom roleplaying game before?both... chatroom is very fast you have to pay attention. I personally like small chat room rpgs... bur another problem I don't think technodrome chat has ever worked for me... why nor a private aol chat? Or yahoo I can dl that.

Also, I'm always into im rp one on one

Raphael_
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
yup first or second page of the character topic made by heritic888 for me. But that was with the stipulation that she had all powers since then I have gotten a copy of my own and have seen the rules...

both... chatroom is very fast you have to pay attention. I personally like small chat room rpgs... bur another problem I don't think technodrome chat has ever worked for me... why nor a private aol chat? Or yahoo I can dl that.

Also, I'm always into im rp one on one

The Technodrome chat is just IRC. Also, I can't use my dice bot or any other utility bots we might want on AOL or Yahoo.

You don't have to use the Technodrome chat. Just download/install an IRC client

Click here to download mIRC, the most common Windows IRC client (http://www.mirc.com/get.php)

Start the program, then at the little text box at the bottom, type:

/server irc.irchighway.net
/nick JadeGreen
/join #thetechnodrome

that's it, you're in the room, ready to play

Jo Dawn
05-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Darnit, wish I'd seen this before. I love a more fast paced RPG...

Raphael_
05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
How does every other Sunday sound? I was thinking around 7-9PM CST.

Magdolin
05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Sounds good to me.

Raphael_
05-16-2008, 12:07 PM

OK, I'm researching that psionics issue, the other stuff doesn't sound too hard to work out.

Jo Dawn, you can still join if you like.

So far I have one person on board for Sunday nights. Any other takers?

The rules should be up Wednesday as I'm moving and my internet isn't up yet.

Jade Green
05-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Sunday will work this week however, I think I sorta semi committed to a sunday game starting in june.

Lady Venus
05-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Can I join as Lady Mew2?

Jade Green
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
...it's a game for the TMNT, I don't think a Pokemon would be welcomed.

Raphael_
05-19-2008, 07:38 AM

Uh, no Pokemons. Any interest in playing a TMNT character?

(whoooooooo 100th post! too bad it involved Pokemons)

Aelia
05-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I know I'M interested, however I am not really familiar with the Palladium system. I am more than willing to learn it though. ;)

I may take up Michelangelo, but I'm still debating with myself over that. I'm a very stubborn person.

Raphael_
05-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Consider yourself Mikey.

Welcome. We'll be starting Tomorrow night at 6PM CST.

Aelia
05-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Yay! Hopefully I'll remember to show up! D:

Edit: Bad news...my sister needs to get on the computer to write her report and she says it'll take two hours. She may be exaggerating the time she needs to complete the project, but in any case I wanted to let you guys know that I may be a little late getting in.

Raphael_
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, I blew it, or rather the cable company did. I wasn't able to get online from my parents' house where I was because the internet was out. I'm really sorry about this, if you guys want to play tomorrow (memorial day) we can still do that, or if you want to have the game this coming sunday.

I'm really sorry to let you all down like this. It was truly not what I intended.

Sincerely

Raphael_

Aelia
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey man, no problem. It happens to to best of us.

Raphael_
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Just FYI everyone, we're still planning to have another session this Sunday at the same time.

Magdolin
05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Awesome! that's really cool! ^_^

Aelia
05-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Alright. I'll be there.

Raphael_
06-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Game On in the chatroom, be there, or be square :)

Aelia
06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh geez. I'm so sorry. My grandparents are spending the week here so we spent the entire day fixing up the condo for them.

Jade Green
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
thats okay, all we did was make my character, since you're playing Mike the it'll be easier for you since he just has to level him up.

Raphael_
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Anyone who has questions, please PM me. Also, you'll want to get your character sheet filled out. Here's the character sheet I'm using, you'll need MS Office or OpenOffice to work in it.

http://www.mrjealousy.ulmb.com/TMNT/zips/TMNT_05.zip

By the way, next session is June 8, 6PM CST.

We currently have:
Michelangelo: Aelia
Donatello: Kyo
Jade Green: Graysight

Raphael_
06-02-2008, 03:57 PM
By the way, still looking for a Leonardo, splinter, April, Casey Jones, etc. Fan characters always welcome.

Raphael_
06-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Just FYI, I sent an important message to you players, be sure to read your PMs.

Raphael_
06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
A reminder, this starts TONIGHT, at 6PM, for anyone who still wants to play.

Jade Green
06-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I"ll be there

Leonardo_
06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Hey that sounds cool. I would like to be Leonardo.

Are you going to do more rpgs??

Lycanth
07-01-2008, 04:28 AM
What characters are still open? I'd be interested, so long as it's really only once a week. I'm too busy during the week to commit to more than that.