PDA

View Full Version : Distant Early Warning (chatroom RPG)

Raphael_
06-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi all. I've decided to create another, much more comprehensive thread about the chatroom RPG, so it gets updated in a fashion that makes sense here.

The original thread is here (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=24012).

Rules

The rules are based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness book by Palladium games. If you do not have this and are interested in playing, please PM me and I can probably help you out.

I run a rules-light campaign, with a heavy cinematic feel. It's a lot like playing on the boards, but moves much faster and is more interactive.

When

We play starting 6PM CST Sunday now Saturday! nights (until whenever the first person drops)

Where

The Technodrome IRC channel.

Two Ways to Play

Install mIRC (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?p=377596#post377596) or just use the web chat (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?p=15612)

A plot synopsis, character list, and logs of us playing are listed below.

Synopsis

The time is current day, and the guys have hit a dry period for action.

Donatello, finally having time to pursue his studies, gets a call from April one day. She's thinking about taking a job at UC Berkeley as a researcher, and thinks she can get Donatello in under the radar as real student. Donatello jumps at this, and the two have been living near the university since August 2006. While having access to the sophisticated equipment at the school, Donatello has managed, along with his knowledge of Utrom technology, to develop a personal cloaking device. This lets him look like a lanky, uninteresting college student, preventing unwanted attention.

Of course the other guys, missing Donatello and his quirks, go out to California to see what Don's up to. Michaelangelo, being a sucker for the beach, decides to go against Splinter's warnings and goof off one day, out of disguise at the beach. Mikey inadvertently attracted a lot of attention from the kids, mistaking him for some sort of cartoon character in a turtle suit. True to his character, mikey ran with the idea and opened a pizza stand on the beach catering to the kids, making himself part of the "show"

While taking in the local flora and fauna, Leonardo caught on to the whole 'natural foods' culture of the area, and in a fit of unusual eccentricity, suggested to Splinter that they open a sort of natural foods store with the employees wearing animal theme suits, thus becoming a local attraction, and allowing them to remain disguised.

With the other guys basically settling down in the area, Raph didn't want to get left behind. He called up Casey in New York, who was already getting bored with the lack of activity. Casey and Raphael managed to scrounge up enough money and parts to start a fledgling auto shop, in a seedier part of town, catering to those with little money doing patch ups on things that should have seen the junkyard long ago. They have a small staff basically consisting of high school kids who want to learn something...which covers up for Raphael doing most of the real work in the back.

The guys were settling into a groove. It was awkward at first, not having to watch their back at every turn, but they finally had a semblance of the human lives they wished so much for in the past. They could finally put this whole saving the planet thing behind them. No longer did they have the Foot Clan destroying something, or aliens trying to rain destruction on the planet to keep them on their toes...but evil never sleeps. It just goes into hiding. It's times like these you need to keep one ear to the ground, and your feet off the table, or you might just miss a distant early warning.

Players

Gamemaster: Raphael_

Canon characters

Raphael, played by Raphael_ as an NPC (if Leonardo and Mikey stay filled, I'll open up Raphael for someone else to play)

Fan characters

Graysight, played by Jade Green

What's the game play like, you might ask? Well, take a look at the logs:

Prelude (http://tmnt.ath.cx/logs/prelude.txt)
First Session (http://tmnt.ath.cx/logs/session_one.txt)

Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello,Casey Jones, April O'Neil, Splinter, and any other TMNT characters, canon or fan created for the TMNT universe are all open.

I allow only one character per player because of the speed the game moves at. Characters from series other than TMNT are not allowed.

Come play with us! You won't be disappointed ;)

Jade Green
06-09-2008, 08:24 PM
It is a lot of fun, at least I think so. Any one who's ever played D&D or at least understand the basics of such games can easily get the hang of this.

Magdolin
06-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey, sorry guys, but I've been really busy. Where I'm at, it's really hot right now. I have six goats, two I have to milk, and water, seven dogs, I have to feed and water, same for the chickens, ducks, pigs, and rabbits. And on top of that, I have to keep the house clean, and water the gardens, and weed them. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but boy if it isn't. Anyway, I just wanted to apologize.:)

Toonami Tom
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I would like to play as my fan character Scarlet the lizard. Now that my college classes are getting ready to end for the summer, I feel that I can do this.:) ((Although, dinner could interfere sometimes.))

Raphael_
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Just FYI, anyone who wants to just pop in and watch the show, you are most welcome.

Raphael_
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
This turned out a lot better than I thought it would with just two people playing, but we sure could use more. You all don't know what you're missing ;)

Lycanth
07-01-2008, 04:30 AM
What time would that be for Australian Eastern time?

Raphael_
07-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I think your time it's Monday, July 14, 2008 at 9:00:00 AM is the next session (we're skipping july 4 weekend)

Ava Collier
07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I'd honestly love to play, but I can never guaruntee I'll be online/awake/coherent/alive... >_<' IF that changes anytime soon, I'll check back in.

Lycanth
07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Which characters are still free? I have experience as Leonardo, Donatello, Hun, Bishop, April, Casey, Karai...well, I can play almost all characters. Just not so good at Raph or Mikey, heh. I can give you samples of my RPs if you like.

Raphael_
07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
If you're somewhat technically inclined, we need a Donatello. Leonardo may also be free. Samples of RPs would be nice, but I'd encourage you to come in and watch us play once before joining.

Raphael_
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
The game is officially moving to Saturday nights. If Sunday was a problem for you joining in the past and Saturday suits your schedule better, please let me know, we'd love to have some new players.

Our first game on Saturday is scheduled for 6PM on July 12, that's this weekend.