PDA

View Full Version : Are you a TMNT fan for life?

CyberCubed
08-30-2008, 02:28 PM
One thing I notice is that when some people have a favorite franchise, such as Star Wars or Star Trek fans, they stick with their franchises for life and are fans of their respective series until the day they die.

Now, none of us know what TMNT will be like, or if they'll still exist 15-20 years from now, but do you think you'll always be a fan of the Turtles because of the cartoons/movies/comics/toys from during either your childhood or from the present day?

Like a lot of people here, I grew up watching the original cartoon back in the 80's and I've been a TMNT fan ever since. I can't ever imagine losing interest in the franchise completely, and I'll always have my comics or the cartoons/movies on DVD to re-watch for years to come.

Do you consider yourself a TMNT fan for life? Or is it just for a brief time in your life before you like something else more?

gobo
08-30-2008, 03:30 PM
TMNT is life. @_@ Join us.

Jester
08-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I dunna.I was a big TMNT fan in the heyday, dropped off when I was a tween and then came back to it hard and heavy when the 2k3 series came out, and I haven't looked back since. Although even when NT:TNM was on, in my teen years, I did own the figures, and East Meets West on VHS (still do actually, check out MCubed this Thursday...shameless plug. :P) so I guess it'd be TMNT 4 LIFE!!

Buslady
08-30-2008, 03:59 PM
I am a fan for life for:

TMNT (since 1989)
Star Trek (since 1983)
Hellboy (my newest fandom)
DrWHO (since 1985)

Drtooth
08-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey, when I'm a fan of something, I'm usually a fan for life. Even if my interrest drops for a little while, it's still in the back of my mind. TMNT is no exception. Neither are the Muppets, Inspector Gadget, or Darkwing Duck... for examples.

Only things I lost interrest in are Captain Planet (I liked it much better when I was younger... but the older I got the more I thought that Toxic Crusaders was robbed!) and the girly things I liked before I hit preschool. Seriously, that stuff looked like candy. Those bright colors can really make you happy when you're 4.

Cipher
08-30-2008, 04:44 PM
I have left Turtles behind in the past. After the fad died out, I didn't even think about it again until maybe three-and-a-half years ago. Now I'm not going to watch Turtles every day until I die, but I don't think there'll be a time when I wouldn't at least check out a new comic or cartoon.

Raph's Girl
08-30-2008, 04:56 PM
I am a fan for life for:

TMNT (since 1989)
Star Trek (since 1983)
Hellboy (my newest fandom)
DrWHO (since 1985)

Im a fan for life for:

TMNT (since 1987)
Star Trek (since birth. Im a 3rd generation fan)
Star Wars (since 1984)
Dr. Who (newest fandom)
Muppets (since birth probably)
Duck Tales and it's various spin-offs (Im obsessed with the Duck family)
Care Bears (since 1984)

There's probably even more. Im a pack rat....i collect fandoms....

triplexxx
08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
TMNT touched me like nothing else on TV ever did. TMNT addict for life.

Ra
08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, how can you NOT be a fan for life once you become so absorbed into the franchise? I've sort of dropped off the fandom for now, but that doesn't stop me from loving the characters and the story. Sure, I may not be as hyped up as I used to be, but I've been infected by the bug. And once you're infected, it stays with you for life.

Mecha Cow
08-30-2008, 06:47 PM
My interest in it goes up and down and I'd be lying if I said I've enjoyed every direction the franchise has taken, but it's been too big of a part of my life for me to just stop being a fan. I haven't been following the new cartoon since FF, the latest movie was average at best and the new comics are awful, but I'll always have my memories.

Sage Ninja
08-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I will always like my turtles. It will go into dormacy again I bet you but, I'll always like it very much.

life fan of:

TMNT (both cartoon versions)

The Real Ghostbusters

Extreme Ghostbusters

Mighty Max

Jem

Grimm's Fairy tale Classics

Conan the Adventurer

Gargoyals

Pirates of Dark Water (I'm still holding out hope that they'll finish off the series some day)

abd much, much more than I can probably think of right now. 8)

sdp
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm very different than other people in that if I liked something as a kid I most likely still like it as an adult (22). Power Rangers, TMNT, Nintendo, Jurassic Park, etc. There are very few things I just no longer like. I mean as a kid I may have liked Mickey Mouse or Bugs but now while I don't hate them I don't feel the need to check them out again.

I'm a member of so many fandoms :lol:.

Of ocourse I am not a hardcore fan that I talk all the time about all the things I like, I also go dormant for a few months or years for a few franchises but I'll go back to revisit them soon enough.

Warhorse
08-30-2008, 10:58 PM
^You're not alone, I feel like I'm the same way.

But I'm also experiencing something different. I was a big fan of the TMNT back in the day. But then, high school and college came and went, and then my career took the most of my time, so the Turtles and all of those fun things slipped my mind when one day, about the year I joined this forum, I got my first home computer, and discovered youtube, and spent an evening down memory lane, when I realized I still loved The Turtles. And then I found out about the new show, the new movie coming out, and the whole ordeal pretty much cemented the Turtles a permanent mark on my life. I let them slip once from my life, but never again!

Since then, I've also realized I miss and love all of my old shows, Rainbow Brite, Brave Star (that would make one helluva live action movie today with all of our movie magic) Ducktales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Smurfs, Gummie Bears. And movies such as E.T., The Last Unicorn, Flight of the Navigator, Home Alone, License to Drive, Goonies. Hell, I still love playing the classic games with my friends and cousins such as Monopoly, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Connect Four, Checkers, Game of Life, old fashion Solitaire.

Only thing I don't do that I used to when I was a kid, is play with actual toys and stuff. But I still have my sticker album I'v added to. I've gone from cartoon characters to places that I've visited now. Great way to keep memories alive.

Sage Ninja
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
OMG, you know about the Last Unicorn?! That is my favorite movie of all time and every one I've ever asked has never heard of it! I'm glad I'm not alone. :)

Buffy
08-31-2008, 03:08 AM
I think I'll be a TMNT fan for life. I started taking interest in the TMNT with the old toon, and have been a fan ever since. There was a time though that I forgot (a little) about them, but when my parents got internet the first website I visited was the official website of the turtles and I've been following them ever since again. This was before the new Tales comics or new toon came out.

I'm also a huge Buffy the vampire slayer fan: even though the show has ended I still regularly watch the show on dvd and I read the new comics of course. :)

Scandia
08-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Like everyone else, I plan on being a Turtles fan for life.

MrPliggins
08-31-2008, 07:09 AM
I don't know, I kind of go in phases. I'm always a fan, but sometimes I'm a huge fan and others I'm not into it much. Right now I've kind of lost interest in a few things but I'm sure it'll go back up in the future. I'm weird like that.

Mr._Mutant_Man
08-31-2008, 07:28 AM
I probably will be a fan for life. I did lose interest at one point when I was a kid. I eventually dropped the TMNT at one point for Power Rangers. That was a mistake as far as fandoms go, because as far as something to be nostalgic for goes I think TMNT have aged far better. Aside from the Mirage comics which can be enjoyable for all ages IMO, the Turtles TV show and Archie comics have aged better than the Power Rangers material. I look back at the Turtles show and comics and think about how awesome they were as a kid, sometimes with the Rangers I'll think "I can see why I thought that was cool", but then when you get to the parts with the teenagers I think "how the heck did I sit through this?".

SHREDDER-X
08-31-2008, 10:28 AM
For me , it's always going to be TMNT for life, as well as DRAGONBALL Z, TRANSFORMERS, GHOSTBUSTERS, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, THE NEW ARCHIES, ONE PIECE, DUCKTALES, VOLTRON, and TOXIC CRUSADERS.

SassyGal
08-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm a lifer! I will always love TMNT, maybe not every incarnation *cough*NT:TNM*cough*

I still love He-Man, She-Ra, Darkwing Duck, Jem, Teknoman, Sailor Moon, Scooby-Doo (60's & 70's), Tale Spin, & Duck Tales. Yeah, my DVD collection is very much a true representation of the inner child that still lives in me ;)

NightwatchersOnlygirl
08-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I have been a fan of TMNT since 1990

TMNT Fan 1990
Raph fan girl 1990

Raph's Girl
08-31-2008, 10:57 AM
OMG, you know about the Last Unicorn?! That is my favorite movie of all time and every one I've ever asked has never heard of it! I'm glad I'm not alone. :)

Ya know... Im always surprised when I mention The Last Unicorn and people have no clue what it is. It's a classic!! Peter S. Beagle roxxors!! I still have yet to read the sequel (yep he wrote one. It's called Two Hearts). But Last Unicorn is one of my fave movies of all time. As soon as it came on DVD I snatched it right away. Oddly enough it was the first time I'd seen the movie in it's entirety. If I had seen it when I was younger I just don't remember but whenever it's on tv I always turn it on at the same spot or have to leave for whatever reason and just plum forget to record it. No longer tho since I have it on DVD. *lol*

There's gonna be a live action version of it one of these days but it's been on the back burner trying to be filmed for years.

*sings* When the last eagle flies over the last crumbling mountain and the last lion roars at the last dusty fountain...In the shadow of the forest...tho she may be old and worn...they will stare unbelieving at the last unicorn....

So add Last Unicorn to my list... :D

As well as Gargoyles, Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, Boris The Bear, The Archies (2nd gen fan yo!), Transformers, He-Man, Sailor Moon, Dragonball, Tenchi Muyo....

KROW
08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I'd say I'm a lifelong fan. Even when the OT dropped off the compass, I still went back and read some Mirage and Archie books, watched the films, and hoped for a comeback. I vaguely remember TNM. I consider it a bad acid trip because it's basically a blur to me now. Then the Image series came out and refreshed my interest a bit more. Then when I heard they were returning with a new cartoon series in 2003, I was thrilled -- so thrilled, in fact, that I joined this forum.

I don't think I'll ever lose interest. No matter how high or low it got, TMNT was always something special I could enjoy in any medium.

Jester
08-31-2008, 01:12 PM
The one thing comic-wise I didn't like was the Image universe, if only because it felt like Image took the TMNT and ran them through a meat grinder...then again I've never read Body Count, so you know.

gobo
08-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Since we're now playing this game, here's my top 3:

Ghostbusters (1984)

both movies
all related videogames
all related music

"The Real Ghostbusters" cartoons

"Slimer! and The Real Ghostbusters" cartoons (the Slimer! eps may have been lame, but the RGB follow-ups were actually more enjoyable)
"Extreme Ghostbusters" (I only ever saw six eps :cry:)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (1987) cartoon

the anime OVA (there were eps of the show lots lamer than this)
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures" comicbooks #5+

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures" Specials and misc. miniseries comicbooks
"TMNT Presents The Mighty Mutanimals" comicbooks

all videogames
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" daily comicstrips (hadn't seen many of these until recent years)
all movies
all related music
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" musical act (for the sheer parody of it)
"Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation" puppet-show (only for morbid curiosity)
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (2003) cartoon

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward" cartoon
"TMNT: Back to the Sewer" cartoon

Space Ghost Coast To Coast (you can keep the boring old version of SG)

"Space Ghost Coast To Coast"

"Cartoon Planet"

"Brak Presents The Brak Show Starring Brak"
"The Brak Show"

all related music
any cameos and commercials involving original animation of the affore-mentioned
the few Flash videogames there are based on said characters

The one thing comic-wise I didn't like was the Image universe, if only because it felt like Image took the TMNT and ran them through a meat grinder...then again I've never read Body Count, so you know.
Too true... I've never been more than vaguely interested in the Mirage Universe, even before Image tried to assimilate it, but I actually have less appreciation for Bodycount (sorry, Mr. Eastman).

KROW
08-31-2008, 01:26 PM

Evident in the first issue of the Image series, meat grinder is right (look at Raph's face). I've said this before, but I liked the Image series, my only disagreement being Splinter's mutation into a bat. Regardless, though, Erik Larsen cranked out that book during a non-TMNT time and it felt awesome seeing them in comic book form again.

Jester
08-31-2008, 01:31 PM
By then my TMNT love was at it's low point (I lost interest in the OT, actually I thought it was canceled, but found it again, when they were in the "Super-mutation" phase, which didn't help bring me back), and the fact that the TMNT were being decimated didn't make me want to buy the book, though I do remember flipping through the 1st issue at some newsstand.

CudleyCowlick
08-31-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm an incurable geek, so I'm always getting into one fandom or another, but a lot of the time it comes and goes. From like 16-19 I stopped paying much attention to TMNT, comics, toons & toys in general, but that was also the time I got really into collecting vinyl records, especially heavy metal, so I guess even that counts as a fandom.

But even though I didn't pay much attention to TMNT in my teens, it was like a religion for me as a kid and for the last 4 years, it's been a daily routine to get my TMNT time, and certainly most of my extra money goes to that part of my collection before all others.

So I'm a TMNTer for life, even if it drops off the radar commercially, I'll still be tracking down all the old stuff I don't have, or reviewing all the comics, toons and movies.

I'm also a fan for life of:
Star Wars (especially Boba Fett)
Marvel Comics (Wolverine, particularly)
Futurama (WHY, OH WHY DID THEY CANCEL IT?!?!?! THE NEW MOVIES AREN'T ENOUGH TO TAKE THE PAIN AWAY!!)

cowabunga14
08-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes, as well as the following:

MST3K
GrimJack
Evil Dead
Cerebus the Aardvark
Star Wars
Twin Peaks
Lexx

Warhorse
08-31-2008, 07:16 PM

There was a time when there was talk of this being turned into a live action movie, with Mia Farrow taking up the voice of the Unicorn once again! I was looking forward to it, but I guess the project never took off.

But yes, I love the Last Unicorn. I have it on VHS and recently found it on DVD at Sun Coast movie company. I even have the soundtrack on 8 Track, but it's kind of useless since I dont have an 8 Track player no more.:(

Buslady
08-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Since we're now playing this game, here's my top 3:

[LIST]
"Cartoon Planet"
[LIST]
"The Brak Show"

YAYAY!! I love all that SGC2C stuff...I miss the Brak Show, at least they're airing on fridays old school. I wish they'd make new ones.
And I'm a fan of George Lowe, he's got a motormouth that never stops and his sense of humor is great. And his art is very cool.

Ninjinister
08-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Always and forever.

Tinuvielsdreams
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
I have a lot of things I have clung onto over the years but I think Turtles is probably the one that always stood out the most as my number one. I know I am fan for life because even when things come out I don't particularly care for as part of the franchise I still love the TMNT things I already have and keep hoping for more.

Machias Banshee
08-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Definitely a TMNT Lifer. Enjoyed its hey day, started to write during the down times, enjoyed the new hey days, and getting into writing it again.

My other fandoms aren't Quite as strong, but still dedicated nonetheless: Jurassic Park, Dinotopia, and new fandom of The Deadliest Catch and Jurassic Fight Club.

Raph's Girl
08-31-2008, 10:39 PM
and new fandom of The Deadliest Catch.

Sig Hansen!! FTW!!! :evilgrin:

Revan
08-31-2008, 11:24 PM
As long as we have something to be a fan of, I'll be here. I'm interested in how long Tales vol 2 can last and where volume 4 intends to go. The most fun stories are behind Mirage IMO. When the guys were teenagers kicking but in NYC under the cover of night... thumbs up.

I will always have a place for the guys as long as we have some/any medium to provide my dose of turtle-medicine.

NameGoesHere1066
08-31-2008, 11:41 PM
I think I'll be a lifer. I can see my self moving away from it for awhile now and then through the years, I know I'll always come back to it. 8)

Jelly Bean
09-08-2008, 10:10 PM
yeah, I think I'm going to be lifer to when it comes to the turtles. Even when I'm not actively into it I think I'll always love them.

Shred Head
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan for life. Sure I cant lie I did stop during the years when there was nothing. Once the OT was barley being shown and constently preempted so I never knew when it was coming on I was starting to lose intrest. It was also really hard to find the mirage series. Although I kept buying the Archie comic series and the toys once the Archie comic was gone I stopped and moved along. The Image comic and NMT tv show made me remember them again but I thought those versions sucked and I gave up on it again.

Then I got the internet and feeling nostolgic I started looking up some of my old intrests and all the old memories came back I remembered why I loved the four green brothers in the first place. I guess I have always been a fan it I never had anything new to keep my intrests up.

Since others posted there other series fans for life I guess I'll post mine.

X-Men (Mostly for Wolverine)
Batman
Spider-Man
Sonic the Hedgehog
Nintendo
Dragonball
Star Wars
Digimon
Transformers

ToTheNines
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM

"Cartoon Planet"

"The Brak Show"

all related music
any cameos and commercials involving original animation of the affore-mentioned
the few Flash videogames there are based on said characters

Yo Gobo:

"Space Ho's" by Danger Doom (mc-MF DOOM, producer-Danger Mouse)
e15RC6CaBb4

I remember you saying you don't like rap but listen to the whole thing atleast twice.

REMIX:

by Madlib
Kng5raFAH84

Coola Yagami
09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Tmnt 4 life

dingodile555
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Of course! It's something that I will never lose my love for, it's just amazing.

khelben1979
09-11-2008, 07:18 AM
TMNT fan for life, definitely!

Canadian Turtle
09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
For me, I left the series more or less as a kid, as I grew into my late teens/early 20s I started collecting toys hard core again. But mostly toys relating to my favorite movies, as I was going through film school and I felt that collecting star wars, Aliens, and Terminator would add to my fandom. I had a massive collection set up with toys representing all kinds of movies and in that process I pulled out a few old turtles to represent that series which I still loved. It wasn't until the last CG movie (which I was not a big fan of actually) that I re-invested interest in watching the old movies, toons, and reading the original comics which up till then I had not seen. Then soon after I made it my absolute goal to collect ALL of the figures.

If you have read this far into my story this is where you want to pay attention!! i have spent countless dollars on TMNT stuff at a store owned by a good friend of mine. I have selfishly not shared as I wanted to make sure I picked up all his good stuff hahaha. If you live in Ontario Canada, or ever travel here there is the worlds BEST and I mean BEST toy store in the city Hamilton called 'Kool Stuff'. Currently he has received shipment of COUNTLESS TMNT on the card and in boxes. He even has the 'big turtles' right now in boxes. This guy is also the best priced toy store in the world. I picked up my blimp for $10 I would grab 15 or so loose figs and 3 or 4 vehicles at a time for say $35. He also sells EVERY damn toy you can find from 60s 70s 80s and 90s. Worth the plain ticket!

Bry
09-12-2008, 01:21 AM
I got into TMNT because of the old cartoon when I was a kid, like I'm sure most here did. As I got older I moved on to other things, but I still had fond memories of the cartoon, the toys, the Archie comic series, the video games and the movies.

When I was a teenager, probably around 15, I went on a bit of a nostalgic eBay kick, buying some old TMNT toys I once had as a child and either destroyed or lost, when I stumbled across an auction for the colourized collections of the first 12 or so Mirage issues. I was always aware of the Turtles' indie comic roots, but I'd never had a chance to actually read them. So I ordered the books and promptly had my mind blown by how different they were from the cartoon I was mostly familiar with, and then I immediately began collecting all the old back issues I could find. I sort of fell in love with the Ninja Turtles all over again, something that's remained strong to this day (though now I'm a fan of the Mirage comics first and foremost).

While I don't necessarily follow everything TMNT-related - for example, I've only seen one episode of "Fast Forward" and don't plan to watch any more - I've got several DVDs, graphic novels, and the NECA toys out on my book shelves, have signed sketches from Peter Laird and Jim Lawson framed on my wall, and I pick up the new comics regularly.

So yeah, I have a strong feeling I'll be a fan for life. I actually got a TMNT-related tattoo this year, so obviously I don't see my interest fading!

XERO
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
As long as my brain remembers them, and as long as I don the white bandana here, it's plain obvious.

I'll die a fan.

Bad Guys Lover
09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
TMNT for life!