PDA

View Full Version : The Rat King from the 80's toon

Jelly Bean
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I just saw the episode from season three with the RatKing, where he kidnapps April for doing a report on rats.

And I have to say, this guy is cool and creepy at the same time. I think so far this is my favorite episode in the old series. He is humourous in the typical 80's toon fashion with him being all about rats and everything but he is also freaky and I like how he controls rats with a flute. He seems so intersting, he's not just some wacked out clone like he is in the 4KIDS series but an actual crazy guy who wants to promote rats in a terrorist way. :o he seems weird but he seems fully there in the head and knows exactly whats he's doing.

He's got to be one of the more powerful villans from the old series because of the effect he has on Splinter. I was so shocked when he made Splinter attack his sons! that was suprisingly intense! Even mighty Splinter is afraid of him and couldn't face him again.

I think the creepist thing about him was his voice and his actions toward April. He almost came across as a sex offender. The way he talked was nearly "seductive", when he spoke to people, like he was trying to influnce people with just the sound of his voice. :o I know April has been kidnapped and tyed up before but some how they way Rat king did it almost had some sexual undertones to it. I got the feeling he was ready to jump on April any second, and he was sort of coming on to her. :ohwell: I never got this vibe from Shredder or any of the other villans, maybe because I can't really see Shredder actually doing anything to her, but with the Rat king he seeme like would do something to her.

Who does Rat Kings voice, he almost sounded familier to me?

It's shame we didn't get more of Rat King in the 4KIDs series because I think he would have been cooler if we saw more. the 80's toon seemed to do more with his character in one episode than his modern day version did.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I just saw the episode from season three with the RatKing, where he kidnapps April for doing a report on rats.

And I have to say, this guy is cool and creepy at the same time. I think so far this is my favorite episode in the old series. He is humourous in the typical 80's toon fashion with him being all about rats and everything but he is also freaky and I like how he controls rats with a flute. He seems so intersting, he's not just some wacked out clone like he is in the 4KIDS series but an actual crazy guy who wants to promote rats in a terrorist way. :o he seems weird but he seems fully there in the head and knows exactly whats he's doing.

He's got to be one of the more powerful villans from the old series because of the effect he has on Splinter. I was so shocked when he made Splinter attack his sons! that was suprisingly intense! Even mighty Splinter is afraid of him and couldn't face him again.

I think the creepist thing about him was his voice and his actions toward April. He almost came across as a sex offender. The way he talked was nearly "seductive", when he spoke to people, like he was trying to influnce people with just the sound of his voice. :o I know April has been kidnapped and tyed up before but some how they way Rat king did it almost had some sexual undertones to it. I got the feeling he was ready to jump on April any second, and he was sort of coming on to her. :ohwell: I never got this vibe from Shredder or any of the other villans, maybe because I can't really see Shredder actually doing anything to her, but with the Rat king he seeme like would do something to her.

Who does Rat Kings voice, he almost sounded familier to me?

It's shame we didn't get more of Rat King in the 4KIDs series because I think he would have been cooler if we saw more. the 80's toon seemed to do more with his character in one episode than his modern day version did.

In English, he is voiced by Townsend Coleman, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_King#Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_.281987_-_1996.29.

Cipher
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
The Rat King was always a fun character in the old cartoon. The thing I miss most about the show is its strong rogues gallery. Rat King has quite a few appearences througout the series, so you're in for a treat.

My favorite Rat King was actually his first appearence in Tales of the TMNT Vol 1. He was just a crazy man who liked acting like ghosts and monsters to scare people, and he had a few monologues about the nature of superstition and monsters. Later he was used as a sort of spritual guide for Splinter's animal side, which wasn't as fun, but still interesting.

09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
The episode "Enter the Rat King" from season 3 is the first episode of the 1987 cartoon where the TMNT don't kick the butt off Shredder.

Cipher
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
The episode "Enter the Rat King" from season 3 is the first episode of the 1987 cartoon where the TMNT don't kick the butt off Shredder.Really? I could've sworn there were a few Shredder-less episodes before it. Was he in the episode with that police robot named Rex?

Jon
09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Really? I could've sworn there were a few Shredder-less episodes before it. Was he in the episode with that police robot named Rex?

Yes, he's in that episode. Shredder takes Rex-1 and makes an army of duplicates to do his bidding.

Sage Ninja
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Townsend Coleman has a wide vocal range, not only did he voice the Rat King, but he also voiced **drum roll** Michaelangelo! That's right the surfer speaking party animal Michaelangelo him self shares the same actor as the Rat King.

And I really do like the OT version of him. I really liked that "pied piper" way about him, I would have liked to have seen him do an assault on the city on a grander scale useing his pipe with the rats. Him controling Splinter was awsome, it's to bad he didn't do it very often.

What was cool about the Rat King in the classic toon was that he wasn't personaly after the turtles, he had his own agenda and couldn't care less about them, and because of this he didn't feel the need to pick fights with them (unless they got in his way) and even sided and helped them out on occassion. What I liked about Rat King was when he dicided to attack the turtles he didn't have any qualms about going all the way, and neighther did the turtles.

And yes, the Rat King did seem to have a thing for April. I recall him saying he thought she had very pretty hair.

09-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Epsidoes focusing on the Rat King also often focused on Irma and Vernon. He tried to make them zombies, and made them rats for a while.

notebook
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
OT Rat King is great, probably my favorite incarnation of the character. Villianous and enigmatic, sometimes just plain old effin' nuts. I like him much better than the mystical Mirage version or the lame Bishop clone NT version. The Archie Rat King was cool too, but underused.

I laughed when I first saw his Red Sky appearance with the ragged trenchcoat and top hat. Like wow, this guy's really gone off the deep end now. Why would he wear that stuff?

Also, it was cool he was friends with Leatherhead. Say what you will about the OT's campiness, but it still got so many things right.

09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Also, I think it's good he was not overused in the 1987 cartoon, like Shredder was.

PizzaPower
09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
yea he was pretty sweet. I love the action of the NT but the OT will always be my favorite.

Sage Ninja
09-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I thought, even though RatKing was cool, he was a bit under utilised in the OT as well, until his apprearance in Red Sky. He had the power to influnce rats and control Splinter he should of used that more instead of relying on ill-conceived alliances, with gangs or mutating chemicals. Why did he need alliances any way when he could really wreck some unholy havoc with his rats if he really wanted to? To many times after his incial appearance the RatKing was shown as just random pop-ups.

CyberCubed
09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Rat King was always an awesome villain.

The new series needs to show him more, he's only been in 1 episode!

Jon
09-17-2008, 01:29 PM
:DRat King was always an awesome villain.

The new series needs to show him more, he's only been in 1 episode!

Well, technically 2 episodes. :D

NameGoesHere1066
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Rat King wanted to get into April's pants in the worse way. LOL I think he mentioned something about wanting make her his rat queen or something. What scared me about the Rat King is that he considered himself a rat rather than a human.

What gives Rat King points in my book is he is the villan in the orginal series to find the turtles lair and actually attack launch a full scale assualt on them. No othe villan in the series was able to find their lair, and even if they did, I could tell none of them would have taken advantage of the knowledge.

TheUltimateShredhead
09-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Also, I think it's good he was not overused in the 1987 cartoon, like Shredder was.

Well, he was the arch villain of the show:ohwell:

09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Rat King wanted to get into April's pants in the worse way. LOL I think he mentioned something about wanting make her his rat queen or something. What scared me about the Rat King is that he considered himself a rat rather than a human.

What gives Rat King points in my book is he is the villan in the orginal series to find the turtles lair and actually attack launch a full scale assualt on them. No othe villan in the series was able to find their lair, and even if they did, I could tell none of them would have taken advantage of the knowledge.

In which episode did he reach the TMNT's lair? Can't remember.

NameGoesHere1066
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
In which episode did he reach the TMNT's lair? Can't remember.
that was in season eight (Red Sky). And I can't tell you what episode exactly it was. but Rat King pretty much comes into the lair and starts shooting up the place. At the start of the episode the Rat King says he knows where the turtles lair was, I don't know when he found it because as far as I knew he didn't know. Maybe I missed an episode some where where he discoved the lair but I can't remember when he found it, just that in the episode he attacks the turtles he already knew where it was.

Drtooth
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I think what I love about the classic Rat King is that he poses a serious threat sometime, helps the turtles other times (in a manner the turtles distrust him), and yet, he can still be comic relief in certain episodes... like Pizza by the Shred, one of my favorite appearances. He doesn't do anything but intercept the pizza, causing Shredder to fight him AND the turtles at the same time.

09-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Townsend Coleman has a wide vocal range, not only did he voice the Rat King, but he also voiced **drum roll** Michaelangelo! That's right the surfer speaking party animal Michaelangelo him self shares the same actor as the Rat King.

And I really do like the OT version of him. I really liked that "pied piper" way about him, I would have liked to have seen him do an assault on the city on a grander scale useing his pipe with the rats. Him controling Splinter was awsome, it's to bad he didn't do it very often.

What was cool about the Rat King in the classic toon was that he wasn't personaly after the turtles, he had his own agenda and couldn't care less about them, and because of this he didn't feel the need to pick fights with them (unless they got in his way) and even sided and helped them out on occassion. What I liked about Rat King was when he dicided to attack the turtles he didn't have any qualms about going all the way, and neighther did the turtles.

And yes, the Rat King did seem to have a thing for April. I recall him saying he thought she had very pretty hair.

Rat King brainwashing Splinter was awsome, but It didn't nead repeat. Remember all the times Shredder was looking for fuel to the Technodrome...

Leogeddon
09-19-2008, 02:31 PM
All my favorite episodes either have Leatherhead or Slash in them. Leatherhead vs Rat King was awesome and another favorite episode is probably with Metal Head because he looks so cool.

09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
OT Rat King is great, probably my favorite incarnation of the character. Villianous and enigmatic, sometimes just plain old effin' nuts. I like him much better than the mystical Mirage version or the lame Bishop clone NT version. The Archie Rat King was cool too, but underused.

I laughed when I first saw his Red Sky appearance with the ragged trenchcoat and top hat. Like wow, this guy's really gone off the deep end now. Why would he wear that stuff?

Also, it was cool he was friends with Leatherhead. Say what you will about the OT's campiness, but it still got so many things right.

Yes, but first they fought against each other in "Leatherhead Mees the Rat King".

TheUltimateShredhead
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
that was in season eight (Red Sky). And I can't tell you what episode exactly it was. but Rat King pretty much comes into the lair and starts shooting up the place. At the start of the episode the Rat King says he knows where the turtles lair was, I don't know when he found it because as far as I knew he didn't know. Maybe I missed an episode some where where he discoved the lair but I can't remember when he found it, just that in the episode he attacks the turtles he already knew where it was.

Episode "Wrath of the Rat King" it was the second ep of the season. I think that was the last ep in the series he appears:ohwell:

09-22-2008, 06:55 AM
All my favorite episodes either have Leatherhead or Slash in them. Leatherhead vs Rat King was awesome and another favorite episode is probably with Metal Head because he looks so cool.

Metalhead is also in "Big Bug Blunder", when vacuum cleaning the TMNT lair.

Sage Ninja
09-27-2008, 10:16 PM
I sort of wished that there was an episode where the rats turn against the Rat King. It really did seem like he controled rather than persauded them to follow him. Which makes me wonder, how the heck did Rat King control his rats after Splinter destroyed his flute?

09-28-2008, 03:45 AM
I sort of wished that there was an episode where the rats turn against the Rat King. It really did seem like he controled rather than persauded them to follow him. Which makes me wonder, how the heck did Rat King control his rats after Splinter destroyed his flute?

A new flute? But I would like to see Splinter taking some kind of control of the rats and turn them against him, so the Rat King has to surrender and leave himself to the New York City police.

NameGoesHere1066
09-29-2008, 11:19 PM
when exactly did RatKing and Leatherhead become allies instead of enemies? Was it just one episode? Because I think in Red Sky RatKing was working solo again.

09-30-2008, 06:37 AM
when exactly did RatKing and Leatherhead become allies instead of enemies? Was it just one episode? Because I think in Red Sky RatKing was working solo again.

I don't recall them becoming enemies, it differed between episodes and circumstances. Rat King could work with everybody, but also fight them.

Jelly Bean
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM

wow! I can't believe that Michaelangelo's voice actor also voiced the RatKing, they sound nothing alike at all. Is Townsend Coleman the guys actual name or is it a stage name? Necause Townsend sounds a bit unushaul. I'm thrilled that Rat King shows up more in the series, I can't wait to see more episode with him. He's just so weird. Was it ever revealed why he's so hung up on rat rights?

Also this episode made me love 80's April even more, she was so mouthy with him! LOL She's got guts, here she is being held captive by a psycho who thinks he's a rat ruler, and she's ibeing sarcastic and insutling with him and just pushing her luck!I loved it when he offered her a bowl of soup (I think it was soup) and she kicks it out of his hands! I don't know about you but I wouldn't be egging on some one who talks to rats.

Sage Ninja
10-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't recall them becoming enemies, it differed between episodes and circumstances. Rat King could work with everybody, but also fight them.

Leatherhead Meets the Rat King is the episode where Leatherhead and the Rat King cross paths and get into a confrontation and basically try to kill each other. The episode leaves off that they are still hostile toward each other, but in Splinter is Missing they seemed to have formed an alliance and where working together. After this episde The Rat King and Leatherhead aren't seen together any more. I think this is Leather heads last appearance in the show as well.

Was it ever revealed why he's so hung up on rat rights?

I don't think it was told to us why he cares so much about the rats. One can only speculate.

MrPliggins
10-07-2008, 09:01 PM
[B] I think this is Leather heads last appearance in the show as well.

Why is it that Leatherhead just disappears from TMNT shows unexpectedly? I believe he never appeared again, and his action figure was never re-released. Conspiracy?

I seem to remember he had a replacement voice too in "Splinter Vanishes".

Sage Ninja
10-07-2008, 09:53 PM
nope it has always been Jim cummings voicing Leatherhead he never had a stand in. And I don't know why he never came back. He should have stayed around in New York instead of going to Florida.

Leogeddon
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Now, Rat King would be one of the more hideous villains if they kept him as his personality was meant to be... but because it's a children show, they couldn't QUITE keep him like "Willard" now could they? Gotta have the goofs somewhere, sometimes I feel bad for Shredder and them because they keep failing. :(

Why is it that Leatherhead just disappears from TMNT shows unexpectedly? I believe he never appeared again, and his action figure was never re-released. Conspiracy?

I seem to remember he had a replacement voice too in "Splinter Vanishes".

Like how Shredder had a completely different voice in the episode with the Frogs. I loved Leatherhead, he and Slash and Metalhead were my favorite baddies.

Cipher
10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I think this is Leather heads last appearance in the show as well.Leatherhead's last appearance is actually the season seven episode "Night of the Rogues."

NameGoesHere1066
10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Now, Rat King would be one of the more hideous villains if they kept him as his personality was meant to be... but because it's a children show, they couldn't QUITE keep him like "Willard" now could they?

in some ways OT Rat King was more interesting and weird than in the mirage comics. His appearance in RedSky reminded me of the guy from "Candy Man".

10-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Leatherhead Meets the Rat King is the episode where Leatherhead and the Rat King cross paths and get into a confrontation and basically try to kill each other. The episode leaves off that they are still hostile toward each other, but in Splinter is Missing they seemed to have formed an alliance and where working together. After this episde The Rat King and Leatherhead aren't seen together any more. I think this is Leather heads last appearance in the show as well.

I don't think it was told to us why he cares so much about the rats. One can only speculate.

He uses them to conquer New York City, since he can play the flute to hypnotize them he sees it as a way for him.