PDA

View Full Version : Question About Becoming a Member

Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
02-23-2003, 05:00 PM
I just had a question for whoever has an answer.

I haven't logged on for a while since school has pretty much consumed my every being. But I checked out the website today since I worked myself crazy this morning and afternoon so I could enjoy my evening.

My, we sure have added a lot of members who have nothing better to do with their lives than start trouble on the boards.

Krang, is there any way to make becoming a member of the forums harder to do? I mean, how do you keep the low-lifes in the world away from this website, especially since we seem to be on the receiving end of a bunch of them lately?

I don't know if it's possible to do, but I thought I'd just toss that question out to the masses.

"What happened? I'm covered with garbage!" - Vernon, from "Planet of the Turtles"

Nturtle
02-23-2003, 05:49 PM
I see where you are coming from NTCF, though we don't want to become an elitest club or something, we need to be a little harder on spammers, though some have turned a new leaf others will never come around and I thnk a quick IP block is in hand

Tokka-B
02-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Double post, lol. Anyway, an IP ban is not a good idea, anyone who uses aol will not be able to access the boards and that kills off many good members too...But there is a way to do this, one forum that I used to go to now has a rule that when you register they need to confirm your registration before you can post and activate your account....

Nturtle
02-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Whoops!!!!! :o Ehhh.... sorry could a mod or somebody delete one of those? :embarass:

That maybe a good idea :ohwell:

Kali
02-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Deleted the second post, Nturtle!

I agree that making membership more difficult isn't really a good idea. We've always tried to be a very open community board, very welcoming. Unfortunately, that means that we get a few bad eggs every now and again, but ya know, it's not really all that often and they're taken care of relatively quickly.

And IP blocks could block out good posters as well as bad. However, complaints can be sent to IPs.

Krang
02-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Good idea, but I think restricting membership would do more harm than good, since everyone who signs up would have to wait for Shredder or me to confirm their membership, and neither of us have time to check the forums more than once or twice a day. I won't IP ban anyone who uses a dynamic IP address since it might affect other people, but I could ban static IPs if necessary.

Nturtle
02-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks Kali!!
Coolness!

Reznorite420
02-24-2003, 04:16 PM
NTCF: Yes, you HAVE been away too long :D

We had I think 40 new members alone the day the new show premiered.

Tokka-B
02-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Yea, restricting membership would kinda make this site seem a little too high on security or whatever. But Krang, I think that people who have multiple IP's could randomly get the IP of someone who has static, so I don't think IP banning is a good idea unless it is the same spammer/idiot who registers more than once or twice on the board with a static IP...

Krang
03-02-2003, 03:18 AM
I won't IP ban someone unless it's really necessary, but most (if not all) ISPs have separate IP blocks set aside for dynamic and static IPs, so it's not very likely that someone with a dynamic IP would end up with the same one as someone with a static IP.