PDA

View Full Version : ((OOC) What Happened?

Toonami Tom
09-29-2008, 02:46 PM
This topic is out of character (OOC), meaning that it is not an RPG, but it is a topic that deals with the subject of RPGs.

So, I am wondering what happened? This part of the forums used to be very much alive. Now there is hardly anything happening in the RPG section.

I think it would be cool to play in a new RPG, but there doesn't seem to be any interest. There are all kinds of story lines that could happen, and with the new season of TMNT on TV there are new characters to play as.

Anyone interested in a new RPG?:)

Magdolin
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Me, me! I am! ^^

Magdolin
09-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I had made an RPG crossover with TMNT and Resident Evil 4, but I'm not sure if people like RE4 as much as I do. I think Swany likes it.

I've been thinking of doing an RPG with the turtles and Parasite Eve. Not sure if any likes that game though.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I belive it's good to use a famous concept, and not a lot of unknown fan characters (who work better for fan fiction if you introduce them), so many people know the characters. Almost everybody already know the personalities of well-known TMNT characters like Irma, Donatello, Splinter and Krang, making it easlier.

KROW
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I had made an RPG crossover with TMNT and Resident Evil 4, but I'm not sure if people like RE4 as much as I do. I think Swany likes it.

I've been thinking of doing an RPG with the turtles and Parasite Eve. Not sure if any likes that game though.

It's not the popularity of the games, but of RPing. Around here, you'll find a lot of folks who love RE4, but despise Role Playing.

Anarky
09-30-2008, 08:19 PM

And therein lies the problem. In this section, the TMNT get butchered, chewed, then spit out again.

Also, after the seventh post, the RPG is not about the TMNT anymore, it's about Flyhair Ravendoom, Daughter of the Godelf of Narnia, Doctor Doom and Raven from the Teen Titans. Don't even ask how that came to be, but it did. Also, did you know she was a mutated wolf-turtle-angel-hybrid who could turn into a human at will. She's also a very skilled ninja and even shows Leo some new moves. Also, Raph has a crush on her and so does Mikey.... ooooh, love triangle.

Then there's the crossover bollocks. TMNT meet The Tellytubbies and the cast of Saw. Po and Jigsaw were abducted by the Shredder and they've got April too. But worry not, the TMNT call upon the help of their friends the Transformers who give them the magical abilities to transform into... EVANGELIONS!!!

In short, the RPG-section is not about the TMNT. It's about some idiotic original characters that fart about in places where they haven't got anything to do. Then the creator of the RPG comes up with some harebrained pretense as to why the TMNT and said OC meet up and become instant best friends as well as battle evils and love triangles.

Also, it's a place where all the self-insertionists and TMNT-fetishists can run rampant and everyone thinks they're awesome. Well, used to think... as it is with all things, the RPG-section expanded and flourished until it collapsed under its own weight (Read Dürrenmatt's Winter War in Tibet for more on this subject). And that has happened to this section now.

Jester
09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Wow, Anarky actually hit on some of the things that bug me (that being all the original characters that crop up in the RPGs), but also cut me to the quick because I tried to do a massive crossover at one point where the Foot and the Hand had joined forces and Wolverine enlists not only the Turtles help but also, get this Batman, to try and stop the conjoined appendage titled ninja clans.

Toonami Tom
09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
You have some good points there, Anarky.

TMNT meet The Tellytubbies and the cast of Saw. Po and Jigsaw were abducted by the Shredder and they've got April too.

LMAO!:lol:

Anarky
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
And there I thought I'd have dispensed more help than just giving you something to "lol" about... But no, Doominia von Ravenfaerie must babysit the child of Satan and Irma featuring lots and lots of fan characters.

I declare this section beyond salvation. Let's delete it.

Toonami Tom
10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Ok, seriously...... I get your point, but what the heck, man? TMNT: Fast Forward had some screwed up stuff in it, most of it a lot more messed up than anything that happens in the RPGs; and Fast Forward was the real, offical deal.

Now, what I will say is that I am now against the massive crossovers, like characters just popping in and becoming instant friends with the TMNT. On that I will agree with you.

If it makes people happy to do RPGs, then what's the harm?

Raphael_
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
ANyone for a TMNT/Shaq Fu crossover? :D

Jade Green
10-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Wow. Something that actually caught my attention enough to respond to. I must say, I majorly agree with Anarky on several points. One of the main reasons I have given up playing in here is because I'm sick of all the cross overs. It's confusing, and most of the time very stupid. First of all: If the TMNT existed along side the mutants of the Marvel universe then what real reason would they have to hide? After all, there would be far more unusual mutants walking around in that universe! The smaller facts are often not considered when creating such fan works, role play or story.

This being said, I will admit that I've played with the idea of few cross overs myself; however, these often were the result of the turtles leaving the world they know and ending up elsewhere... often due to the actions of an enemy or that of Donatello.

Also, yes, the story always seems to point towards the fan made characters than the original cast: Players can become very -- and I mean very -- selfish. They want their characters to be noticed! They want their characters to be 'the girl'... or the 'guy' to get the turtle; (or in some sick cases the 'brother' that gets the turtle... ew)! Pulling away from the original cast does happen though often not intentionally... there have been a few very good starting story lines that would have been glorious if so many fan mades hadn't polluted the atmosphere. It gets so conjested, you don't even know where the story is going anymore, muchless what's happening.

I know I am guilty for making my own literal army of mutants; but come on, give me some credit. More often than not, I keep them at bay a constant unseen threat to the only major fan character I have: Graysight.

And when I do bother to bring them out, and I do not do so often, I do so with the intent to make them the major element of the game! They are the ones the turtle must either choose to ally with or defeat! Shredder, Baxter, Bishop and whomever else need not be included.

Finally, I now recall the main reason why I stopped role playing here: When someone does come up with a decent if not wonderful storyline, idiots like to destroy it, rip it apart by making things happen that ruins what the Story Teller, (that is, the person who created said RPG), was trying to creat.

It has happened to me several times.

In fact, it happened to me the last time I tried to post a game here... rather than investigating what could be a major threat, someone decided they wanted to discover a random murder instead. It completely threw me off guard because it had nothing to do with the story line and it forced me to throw in a new mystery for the turtles which kept them from the Original story line. Instead of wanting to find out 'Who Killed that Mutant?' it turned into 'Who Killed that Hooker?'

It really pissed me off.

(Edit: Okay, no one PM me about this, what I spoke about is truly in the past and i'm over it; but, I just felt like I had to have my say.)

10-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Wow. Something that actually caught my attention enough to respond to. I must say, I majorly agree with Anarky on several points. One of the main reasons I have given up playing in here is because I'm sick of all the cross overs. It's confusing, and most of the time very stupid. First of all: If the TMNT existed along side the mutants of the Marvel universe then what real reason would they have to hide? After all, there would be far more unusual mutants walking around in that universe! The smaller facts are often not considered when creating such fan works, role play or story.

This being said, I will admit that I've played with the idea of few cross overs myself; however, these often were the result of the turtles leaving the world they know and ending up elsewhere... often due to the actions of an enemy or that of Donatello.

Also, yes, the story always seems to point towards the fan made characters than the original cast: Players can become very -- and I mean very -- selfish. They want their characters to be noticed! They want their characters to be 'the girl'... or the 'guy' to get the turtle; (or in some sick cases the 'brother' that gets the turtle... ew)! Pulling away from the original cast does happen though often not intentionally... there have been a few very good starting story lines that would have been glorious if so many fan mades hadn't polluted the atmosphere. It gets so conjested, you don't even know where the story is going anymore, muchless what's happening.

I know I am guilty for making my own literal army of mutants; but come on, give me some credit. More often than not, I keep them at bay a constant unseen threat to the only major fan character I have: Graysight.

And when I do bother to bring them out, and I do not do so often, I do so with the intent to make them the major element of the game! They are the ones the turtle must either choose to ally with or defeat! Shredder, Baxter, Bishop and whomever else need not be included.

Finally, I now recall the main reason why I stopped role playing here: When someone does come up with a decent if not wonderful storyline, idiots like to destroy it, rip it apart by making things happen that ruins what the Story Teller, (that is, the person who created said RPG), was trying to creat.

In fact, it happened to me the last time I tried to post a game here... rather than investigating what could be a major threat, someone decided they wanted to discover a random murder instead. It completely threw me off guard because it had nothing to do with the story line and it forced me to throw in a new mystery for the turtles which kept them from the Original story line. Instead of wanting to find out 'Who Killed that Mutant?' it turned into 'Who Killed that Hooker?'

It really pissed me off.

(Edit: Okay, no one PM me about this, what I spoke about is truly in the past and i'm over it; but, I just felt like I had to have my say.)

Is that why portals between different timelines are used in such crossovers? I asked it in http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?p=613643.

Jade Green
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
How cross-overs occure should be based on two things:

Inventiveness and Logic.

Frankly, some cross-overs really shouldn't exist

Aelia
10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, I don't think I can really say anything that hasn't been said before, but I'll try.

I think another major reason is because a good portion of people that used to come here frequently have either left or they have lost interest in roleplaying here. I can think of at least two or three people. I don't really count myself amongst those since I do drop by from time to time...and usually I have convinced myself that I will become more involved in this section and ultimately failing to do so because of the difficulties I have with making a commitment.

Aside from that, I almost completely agree with Jade and Anarky.

10-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Inventiveness and Logic.

So, which fiction do you works for a TMNT crossover?

Aelia
10-23-2008, 08:15 PM
So, which fiction do you works for a TMNT crossover?
I know that question wasn't directed at me but I'll go ahead anyway.

Well, I think anything could work if enough effort is put into it by everyone who is participating. Though people seem to want to go with outright crossovers than a purely TMNT RP thats story is a reference to other works.

But anyway, it'll take everyone we've got to breathe new life into this section.

10-24-2008, 05:35 AM

Inventiveness and Logic.

I agree, some things shall not be crossovers, likte Winnie-the-Pooh, little Mermaid and many other Disney movies based on old fairy tales.

Raphael_
10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Personally I'd rather see original fanmade characters that have real depth and personality than a crossover of any other universe...at least that way they can be worked-in as canon.

Aelia
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Personally I'd rather see original fanmade characters that have real depth and personality than a crossover of any other universe...at least that way they can be worked-in as canon.

I second this.

That conversation with you last night made me realize that I have a LOT of work to do when it comes to adding some real depth to my characters. But it'll be well worth it in the end.

10-24-2008, 04:12 PM

The problem is that many don't like fan characters at all, since they think it's annoying with characters they don't know.

Raphael_
10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
The problem is that many don't like fan characters at all, since they think it's annoying with characters they don't know.

And characters from completely different and unrelated canon are somehow better and easier to work in?

10-25-2008, 06:21 AM
And characters from completely different and unrelated canon are somehow better and easier to work in?

It depends on if you know about the crossover characters. But what I like best is when TMNT fan fiction/RPG is just based on one pure TMNT version. I tried to create an RPG based on the 1987 cartoon here, http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=20762, but that didn't work too.

Aelia
10-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I think one solution would be to stop arguing about it and make a new RP or revive an old one. Seriously, the last RP posted hasn't had any activity for nearly two weeks. Secondly, over the last year many of our regulars have either left or don't want to have anything to do with the section anymore. And pretty much any roleplay is doomed to fail if there isn't enough interest.

You want an RP without fan characters? Make one and make sure you inform anyone who cares.

You want an RP that isn't a cross over? Make one and make sure you inform anyone who cares.

As for fan characters with depth and personality, that is entirely up to the person to whom the fan character belongs to. Some of us shoot fan characters out like bullets while some of us would actually like to improve the ones we already have. Personally, I would like all of us who have fan characters to be the latter.

10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I discuss here http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=25491 if we could merge with "Stealty Stories?".

Aelia
10-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I discuss here http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=25491 if we could merge with "Stealty Stories?".

I'd think it would be a better idea just to have people from here join there but still use this section every now and then.

10-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd think it would be a better idea just to have people from here join there but still use this section every now and then.

How shall we do that? Send a message to them or shall we go over to them?

InsaneZane
10-25-2008, 06:19 PM
We should do an epic free-or-all crossover that involves not only the TMNT, but the new MORTAL KOMBAT vs DC UNIVERSE then we can throw in MARVEL vs CAPCOM (which includes RESIDENT EVIL of course), then we can do some KONAMI twists like METAL GEAR SOLID and SILENT HILL!!!!
While we're at it we can do the SUPER SMASH BROS and SONIC and HALO and GEARS of WAR and then we gotta add SOUL CALIBER characters which include the STAR WARS UNIVERSE now... ooooh, while we're doing sci-fi let's include STAR TREK as well, Ah hell, lets go all out and include the characters from the VAMPIRE CHRONICLES and TWILIGHT, aw man i almost forgot BIKER MICE and GI JOE and TRANSFORMERS... then we'll put in dinosaurs from JURASSIC PARK for kicks. ooops, I almost forgot GODZILLA and KING KONG! How could I? SPAWN, HELLBOY, WATCHMEN, LXG, V for VENDETTA, The MATRIX, TERMINATOR, ROBOCOP, RAMBO, PIRATES of the CARIBBEAN, PRINCE of PERSIA and the rest of the DISNEY UNIVERSE too!!!!

Let's do it guys!!!
This would be totally EPIC!!!!!!!!

Aelia
10-25-2008, 08:14 PM
We should do an epic free-or-all crossover that involves not only the TMNT, but the new MORTAL KOMBAT vs DC UNIVERSE then we can throw in MARVEL vs CAPCOM (which includes RESIDENT EVIL of course), then we can do some KONAMI twists like METAL GEAR SOLID and SILENT HILL!!!!
While we're at it we can do the SUPER SMASH BROS and SONIC and HALO and GEARS of WAR and then we gotta add SOUL CALIBER characters which include the STAR WARS UNIVERSE now... ooooh, while we're doing sci-fi let's include STAR TREK as well, Ah hell, lets go all out and include the characters from the VAMPIRE CHRONICLES and TWILIGHT, aw man i almost forgot BIKER MICE and GI JOE and TRANSFORMERS... then we'll put in dinosaurs from JURASSIC PARK for kicks. ooops, I almost forgot GODZILLA and KING KONG! How could I? SPAWN, HELLBOY, WATCHMEN, LXG, V for VENDETTA, The MATRIX, TERMINATOR, ROBOCOP, RAMBO, PIRATES of the CARIBBEAN, PRINCE of PERSIA and the rest of the DISNEY UNIVERSE too!!!!

Let's do it guys!!!

Ladies and Gentleman, I believe we just got trolled. 3/10 my good sir, but thanks for trying.

InsaneZane
10-26-2008, 01:10 AM
trolled?:D i thought it would be funny:lol:

Raphael_
10-26-2008, 01:41 AM

Let's do it guys!!!

Congratulations, you get the unfunny-and-also-late award.

Raphael_
10-26-2008, 01:44 AM
Also, time to double post here, because a) it's bad form, like this thread has become, b) stupid **** is going on, and c) this thread is imploding just like every RPG that's run in this area since I've been here.

10-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Let's do it guys!!!

Don't Forget to Remember: Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, He-Man, Dinosaucers, Dino-Riders, M.A.S.K., Zelda, Castlevania, the Bert diaries, Sune, Alfie Atkins (Alfons Ċberg), Streets of Rage, Astrid Lindgren's works (Mio, My Mio, The Children of Noisy Village/The Six Bullerby Children, The Brothers Lionheart, Kajsa Kavat, Pippi Longstocking, Most Beloved Sister, Pomperipossa in Monismania, Ronia the Robber's Daughter, Sia lives on Kilimanjaro), collections of folk tales and fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, Alien, Alex Kidd, Cool Spot, Thunder Force, Axelay, Simpsons, Tom & Jerry and a lot of other stuff. :lol:

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Okay, I've been reading this thread, and I see nothing's really been resolved. Raphael's right-- this thread is looking just like every other RPG in the past couple of months. So here are some ideas I think should tossed in here for your consideration (keep in mind that this is coming from someone who doesn't really partake in RPGs, so I'm basing my suggestions on my observations):

1) A strict time limit on sign-ups to potential stories. It must be enforced, and if a few characters aren't taken up by that time, they will be written out of that particular adventure. I suggest the person who creates a new RPG take care of that.

2) If more than a week passes by before someone writes in the RPG, the person who started it is obligated to send out a mass email to all the participants who signed up.

3) Perhaps the fan characters should be kept to a minimum. I reckon no more than two per RPG at the start, though more could be brought in at the RPG starter's discretion.

3b) Or, you could temporarily ban them from the RPG section entirely and have them moved to the Fan Fiction portion of the site (which I think would be best), that way those who want those characters involved have full control of their story, and the RPG won't go off on some random tangent because of a fan character.

4) I can't really say much about cross-overs that hasn't been said already; it only works if every participant has a thorough knowledge of both universes. Maybe they should be nixed for now. Or perhaps a poll open to everyone who wants a cross-over, and the universe with the most votes is the cross-over for the month.

5) Deadlines! Yes, deadlines for when the story arc is completed (if the story is intended to be a bit short). I don't know exactly how this would be implemented, but all the same, it's an idea. :shrugs:

Um, yeah. That's all I've got. Feel free to tweak these suggestions.

10-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Aren't the time zones another problem? People here live in many different time zones and some sleep while others are awake.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, timezones have the potential to be a problem, but I figure if you tell everyone that the story ends at 12 midnight, Pacific Time, it shouldn't be a big deal. All that would matter is getting your bit of story in before time runs out.

Anarky
10-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Finally, someone who actually thinks about things... and doesn't just go "heh lol it r teh b0rked!!!"

1) A strict time limit on sign-ups to potential stories. It must be enforced, and if a few characters aren't taken up by that time, they will be written out of that particular adventure. I suggest the person who creates a new RPG take care of that.

Or just takes care of them in prose form, while giving them smaller roles.

2) If more than a week passes by before someone writes in the RPG, the person who started it is obligated to send out a mass email to all the participants who signed up.

Or, provided we could get some mods in here, to just lock them. If an RPG dies down, there's no use in reviving it as interest has obviously ran out. Just lock the thread and be done with it.

3) Perhaps the fan characters should be kept to a minimum. I reckon no more than two per RPG at the start, though more could be brought in at the RPG starter's discretion.

3b) Or, you could temporarily ban them from the RPG section entirely and have them moved to the Fan Fiction portion of the site (which I think would be best), that way those who want those characters involved have full control of their story, and the RPG won't go off on some random tangent because of a fan character.

Banning fan characters from the entire forums is a ****** idea to be honest. Maybe the ones that are willing to try a game without Galadriel Ninja-son Optimus Prime-Smith should just start their own game and then go "No Fan Characters in here" and that was that.

Besides, I think the players of Ravinia von Doomstadt-Zatoichi have figured out that nobody really likes their fancharacters.

4) I can't really say much about cross-overs that hasn't been said already; it only works if every participant has a thorough knowledge of both universes. Maybe they should be nixed for now. Or perhaps a poll open to everyone who wants a cross-over, and the universe with the most votes is the cross-over for the month.

Ban them. Let the RPGers "find" the TMNT. You know, rediscover them far off from Superman and Captain Ahab shaking hands with Splinter. The TMNT don't really need to cross over with anyone to be interesting, since they've done pretty well so far without all that many crossovers in canon. So why not let the Crossovers be for a while?

5) Deadlines! Yes, deadlines for when the story arc is completed (if the story is intended to be a bit short). I don't know exactly how this would be implemented, but all the same, it's an idea. :shrugs:

I'd suggest EST, since that is in New York and you know who lives there. That's a timezone everyone could agree on. But it doesn't really matter as long as there is a timezone to go by.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Or, provided we could get some mods in here, to just lock them. If an RPG dies down, there's no use in reviving it as interest has obviously ran out. Just lock the thread and be done with it.

Okay, I like the locking idea, but can the person who started the RPG request it to be unlocked if that happens? You know, real life happens, and maybe everyone is just a bit busy, but they want to get back into it at a later date. Would it be better to post that it's on Hiatus until a particular date, and if that day passes THEN the mods lock it, no questions asked?

Banning fan characters from the entire forums is a ****** idea to be honest. Maybe the ones that are willing to try a game without Galadriel Ninja-son Optimus Prime-Smith should just start their own game and then go "No Fan Characters in here" and that was that.

Besides, I think the players of Ravinia von Doomstadt-Zatoichi have figured out that nobody really likes their fancharacters.

Eh, I'm hesitant to ban them from the ENTIRE forums. For some members, this is their persona here. Not to mention, there are a few people who have well-developed Fan Characters and they want to use them (sparingly). I don't know- more RPGers need to weigh-in on that one.

Ban them. Let the RPGers "find" the TMNT. You know, rediscover them far off from Superman and Captain Ahab shaking hands with Splinter. The TMNT don't really need to cross over with anyone to be interesting, since they've done pretty well so far without all that many crossovers in canon. So why not let the Crossovers be for a while?

Again, more input from other RPGers concerning this would be nice.

I'd suggest EST, since that is in New York and you know who lives there. That's a timezone everyone could agree on. But it doesn't really matter as long as there is a timezone to go by.

Yeah that makes the most sense.

At any rate, I'd like people who actually play these things to chime in. Anybody?

10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Can't we have votes about fan characters and crossovers. I don't want to ban them, just see how popular they are.

Aelia
10-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Can't we have votes about fan characters and crossovers. I don't want to ban them, just see how popular they are.

Do you really? Just looking over the Fan Character Profiles sticky should clue you in to how popular fan characters are.

I think higher standards on fan character profile should be put into place. There should be a person in charge of looking over profiles and accepting them. I can't tell you how many times having somebody sift through profiles has helped in the longrun.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Okay, higher quality profiles. I'm sure everyone would agree to that. Also, if you use a fan character, be sure to link to its profile for those who want to join in but aren't familiar with said character. Too often people say, "Hey, I'm going to play as [insert fan character]!" But they don't explain who that character is, and no one wants to sift through hundreds of fan characters just to find the one you decide to play-- especially if you have multiple fan characters you want to play.

Now what about cross-overs? Yea? Nay?

Jade Green
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
1. Time Limits in signing up for games is a good idea but not one that should be strictly enforced. It makes it difficult for new Dromies to get into the action, especially if they have read, and like, a particular RPG. That being said, I do agree that it is the Game Master's, (the one who created the RPG in question), to take care of, and control, any unclaimed cannon characters... by either writing them out of the story or turning them into NPCs, (NonPlaying Characters).

2. A also like the idea of Mass Emails and etc for lack of posts; however, this will only work if Players are willing enough to give out an email where they can be easily reached. To add to this, people have lives, Players and Game Masters can and will be subject to unforseen circumstances and will not always be able to give forewarning.

3. Yes, the number of fan characters should be at the Game Master's discretion.

3.b. Ban fan characters all together? No. This is something the Game Master of the particular RPG in question should decide.

4. As much as I detest cross overs, I still think that a few are reasonable... IF THOUGHT OUT PROPERLY! After all, the Turtles meeting Usagi is technically a Cross Over.

5. I think one of my friends said it best. A good Role Play Story has no ending. This is why I no longer offer a 'scenerio' that needs to be completed. That's as bad as giving an actor half of the rough draft to a script. I like what they do in games like D&D: The G.M. describes the initial scene and allows the characters to react to it before adding newer and newer elements into the game.

To do this, however, it would mean that the Players allow the G.M. the chance to emplement such changes instead of taking over and controlling the game themselves. Case in point, my first post in this thread:

It really pissed me off.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your input, Jade. And thank you for telling me the correct title "Game Master" (I couldn't remember it for the life of me...)1. Time Limits in signing up for games is a good idea but not one that should be strictly enforced. It makes it difficult for new Dromies to get into the action, especially if they have read, and like, a particular RPG. Fair enough.

2. A also like the idea of Mass Emails and etc for lack of posts; however, this will only work if Players are willing enough to give out an email where they can be easily reached. To add to this, people have lives, Players and Game Masters can and will be subject to unforseen circumstances and will not always be able to give forewarning.

You're right that there will be circumstances beyond control, in which case Anarky's suggestion of locking (temporarily) the game would be employed. If the Game Master wants it opened again, they'll have to go to the mod that locked it. As for emails that people could be comfortable giving out:

makemetheking.com
10minutemail.com
www.mailinator.com
www.mytrashmail.com
www.mailexpire.com
www.temporaryinbox.com
email.bugmenot.com
www.maileater.com
www.jetable.org

These are disposable email address sites. They might help with the whole "mass emails" thing.

3.b. Ban fan characters all together? No. This is something the Game Master of the particular RPG in question should decide.

Yes, you're right. When I made the suggestion, I completely forgot about the "Fan Character Profiles" sticky that Aelia pointed out earlier. Clearly, they're an integral part of the whole RPG section.

4. As much as I detest cross overs, I still think that a few are reasonable... IF THOUGHT OUT PROPERLY! After all, the Turtles meeting Usagi is technically a Cross Over.

So if it is a crossover in canon, it's fair game, yes?

5. I think one of my friends said it best. A good Role Play Story has no ending. This is why I no longer offer a 'scenerio' that needs to be completed. That's as bad as giving an actor half of the rough draft to a script. I like what they do in games like D&D: The G.M. describes the initial scene and allows the characters to react to it before adding newer and newer elements into the game.

To do this, however, it would mean that the Players allow the G.M. the chance to emplement such changes instead of taking over and controlling the game themselves. Case in point, my first post in this thread:

Okay then, I guess that's the responsibility of the GM-- to let the other players know that they can't throw a wrench into the plot.

Jade Green
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
the only problem with disposable emails is that I will fail to check it.

So if it is a crossover in canon, it's fair game, yes?

Eh, i was just pointing out that cross overs have been done in cannon. Technically, the TMNT world and Usagi's world were two separate stories. Of course, *blush* I've actually played with the idea of the TMNT ending up on the Enterprise and dealing with Captain Picard so... I really don't have room to talk.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Do you subscribe to RSS feeds? Temporaryinbox can be turned into one if you don't think you'll check messages often.

And the reason I commented on the "canon crossover" thing was because a few people here aren't so fond of them, but others like them a lot, so I figure a canon crossover would be a fair compromise. At any rate those who don't like them don't have to participate, so maybe there's no need to worry about that. :shrug:

Anarky
10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
You guys have never heard of this amazing PM-system that is implemented into the forums, right? And it automatically dispatches an E-Mail to the owner of the profile and you can send the PM to many people too. So the E-Mail-stuff is really not a problem.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-27-2008, 08:26 AM
We know about the PM system, Anarky. But it doesn't do anyone any good if they aren't on the forums to check their PMs. Is their a way to set it so the message can be forwarded to their actual email address? I know you can subscribe to threads, but I've never tried to do it for PMs. Let me check- I'll probably wind up answering my own question...

EDIT: Eh, the closest thing I could think of would be to subcribe to a particular RPG and ask for instant notification as a way to get to people who might not be on the forums. Is there a better way, Anarky?

Anarky
10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah, the PMs automatically dispatch an E-Mail to the address you have in your profile. So you get an E-Mail when you get a PM.

But hey, if you insist on taking the complicated route, be my guest.

10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Do you really? Just looking over the Fan Character Profiles sticky should clue you in to how popular fan characters are.

I think higher standards on fan character profile should be put into place. There should be a person in charge of looking over profiles and accepting them. I can't tell you how many times having somebody sift through profiles has helped in the longrun.

I think a picture also should be there if possible.

Kunoichi_Haruko
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah, the PMs automatically dispatch an E-Mail to the address you have in your profile. So you get an E-Mail when you get a PM.

But hey, if you insist on taking the complicated route, be my guest.

Sigh. Alright, we'll go for the PM system since it's already built in. :)

10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Also, wasn't the entire activity on the Technodrome website higher some years ago than now (2008).