PDA

View Full Version : TMNT disappears from the UK

Hero
10-08-2008, 05:28 AM
On my continued quest to scalp every Buzzrock and Multiflex I can find (as well as the Sub Sewer baddies) I have seen TMNT completely dwindle and dissapear from the shelves from the various Woolworths I check.

Not only Woolworths but I've checked ASDA, Toys R Us, Tesco and The Entertainer and found nothing but a Hypershell on the bottom shelf and the odd Cowabunga Carl van here and there.

A mate of mine in Scotland says the TRU he works at can't shift the hundreds of Cowabunga Carl vans in the warehouse.

This is really sad. Obviously the UK is much smaller beans than the states and it looks like things with the current figure problems caused by Playmates have hit worse here. Even two exclusive figures did not seem to mount to much...

===HERO

Ninjinister
10-08-2008, 07:35 AM
I weep for this figure line.

Hero
10-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I seriously doubt Mini Mutants Wave 2 and anything beyond will be released here now, let alone Spider Bytez and Metal Klawz.

===HERO

Ninjinister
10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I seriously doubt Mini Mutants Wave 2 and anything beyond will be released here now, let alone Spider Bytez and Metal Klawz.

===HERO

Wait, you don't even have Mini-Mutants Wave 2 yet?

CyberCubed
10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
The scary thing is we're almost in the holiday season.

If Playmates can't sell TMNT toys for Christmas, then man, they really are screwed.

Hero
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Wait, you don't even have Mini-Mutants Wave 2 yet?

Correct. We just had Wave 1 and that's it.

NightwatchersOnlygirl
10-09-2008, 03:13 AM
That's a shame I've seen TMNT toys in toy sales in woolies

Hero
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
On clearance no doubt.

===HERO

Hero
10-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Contacted Vivid Imaginations (who deals with Playmates enquiries in the UK) in regards to releasing the later range of Mini Mutants, the Sub Sewer range and Back To The Sewer. Thier response was:

Hi

Thank you for your email. We have no plans in the near future for extending the range of these toys, however Vivid Imaginations are continuously reviewing the product range. Please contact us at a later date for any further information.
Regards

Sorry for the double post, I tried to delete the previous one but could not find the option to do so.

UPDATE: http://www.vividimaginations.co.uk/pages/products.php
TMNT has been dropped as a product. Not a good sign this end.

Canadian Turtle
10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Then again toys and figures of all types are going fast. There are almost no figures of any type in Walmarts anymore. And in the Sears Christmas Wishbook there was 1!!!! 2 page spread of batman action figures and that was IT no other action figures in the toy section which used to be HUGE! when I was a kid!

Kids don't play with toys anymore. Actually kids don't play.

Did they not say today that the UK is officially in recession? Thus toy sales go down?

Hero
10-21-2008, 01:09 AM
The UK is always in recession :P

There's still a figure market, whether they are playthings or not. I class figures as a form of media myself.

===HERO

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
10-21-2008, 08:42 AM
And the 2003 TMNT cartoon, is it still on air in the UK?

tOkKa
10-21-2008, 09:54 AM
-->> ..thanks , K ..

i'll add this to my Round up for the U K buys who read Mike's..

>v<

Drtooth
10-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Kids do NOT ask for toys anymore. I mean, sure, little kids or something still do, but we have a huge gap between younger kids and 20 something collectors that don't buy anything that isn't a video game or any other higher ticket items.

That's most of the reason that every toy line to date (with like, 3 exceptions in Bakugan, Transformers and Ben 10) is a movie toy line tie in. I see Hulks, Spider-Mans, Indiana Joneses, and Star Wars characters all over.

Hero
10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
And the 2003 TMNT cartoon, is it still on air in the UK?

Fraid not.

===HERO

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
10-21-2008, 03:15 PM

If, that's a milestone in history. Children have always played since the history of humans begun and until the early 2000's.

Canadian Turtle
10-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I have found that kids hardly even play with video games either... That is also left to the 20 somethings and older. I don't actually understand what these kids do.... I mean I remember never wanting to give up toys (and i never did I only took a break through highschool) But now my brother who is 13 is STRANGE because he collects the odd toy (because of me for sure).

Your right this is a milestone in history kids are being FORCED to grow up faster and faster. Not to mention even in biological stages of growth (brought on by chemicals in our diet which act as hormones ie. Chlorine more than likely) But it sucks I actually feel sorry for them and their lack of imagination.

Ninjinister
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Fraid not.

===HERO

I think I heard something about Back to the Sewer airing there in January... but then again, I could be mistaken, so don't get your hopes up.

Hero
10-22-2008, 12:53 AM
I am not too bothered about when/if it will air for me as I keep up to date with the toon when it airs stateside.

I find Vivid usually know when the toons air as they've been pretty informative in the past in regards to Fast Forward. So far they seem to want to wash thier hands of TMNT.

Also went to TRU yesterday because the odd Paleo Patrol crawler turns up once in a blue moon and there's nothing but a large dusty stock mountain of Cowabunga Carl vans for £9.99 along with a few movie VS sets and Wave 1 mini mutants shoved to one corner. Very sad indeed.

===HERO