PDA

View Full Version : Who is Robin Coull?

Ninjinister
10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Searching in Wikipedia's "What Links here" for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I came across the fact that the article "List of LGBT characters in film, radio, and TV fiction" is linked to TMNT.

Not recalling anyone of those descriptions in the TMNT universe, I follow the link to find the following:

"Robin Coull Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Gay TV/Film"

I don't recall a character by this name, and furthermore, a Google search of any reference of the TMNT with this Robin Coull only leads to an identical list on other websites.

Who exactly is this Robin Coull?

NameGoesHere1066
10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
maybe it was just a gag? Wikipedia is written by anyone so I wouldn't trust it for accuracy.

Cipher
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Wait, some people here haven't heard of Robin Coull? It's, like, Turtle knowledge 101.

Robin Coull was one of the writers hired for an epsiode of the original TMNT cartoon, and a large gay rights activist within the television writers circle (well, comparitevely large). His pitched episode, proposed as part of the 1991 season, had the Turtles meeting a gay mutant of some sort, and learning a lesson in tolerance. There was a falling out with Murakami-Wolf-Swenson, as well as Laird and Eastman who had to approve the script, and the episode was never made. It's become part of the dustbin of old Turtle ideas.

I think he was initially approached, however, because he was close to David Wise, and if I recall, he actually had a hand in redifining Vernon's character starting with the second season. He was intended to be another gay tolerance character, and while he was obviously taken in another direction, his effeminate demeanor stayed.

Kendamu
10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I always knew that Vernon was gay.

Ryona
10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, while Vernon's preferences was never made clear, one could easily assume that he may be gay or possibly metrosexual.
I'd like to think he is gay because it gives him alot more character than being just another straight schmuck.

A shame that they made his personality rather unlikable to most TMNT fans because practicly all LGBT people by contrast are the nicest and most charming people you'll meet.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Wait, some people here haven't heard of Robin Coull? It's, like, Turtle knowledge 101.

Robin Coull was one of the writers hired for an epsiode of the original TMNT cartoon, and a large gay rights activist within the television writers circle (well, comparitevely large). His pitched episode, proposed as part of the 1991 season, had the Turtles meeting a gay mutant of some sort, and learning a lesson in tolerance. There was a falling out with Murakami-Wolf-Swenson, as well as Laird and Eastman who had to approve the script, and the episode was never made. It's become part of the dustbin of old Turtle ideas.

I think he was initially approached, however, because he was close to David Wise, and if I recall, he actually had a hand in redifining Vernon's character starting with the second season. He was intended to be another gay tolerance character, and while he was obviously taken in another direction, his effeminate demeanor stayed.

I've heard about an episode of the 1987 cartoon named "Shredde in Love". Why don't they release all those unreleased episodes to DVD. I've heard they're still in an archive down in a basement somewhere in the USA.

Ninjinister
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Y'know, I didn't intend for this to become a discussion on sexuality of other characters, or any characters for that matter. I just want to know if this Robin Coull is an actual TMNT character, or if it's just more Wikipedia hooey. I'm not condemning anything, I just would like this to get to the point.

Kendamu
10-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, while Vernon's preferences was never made clear, one could easily assume that he may be gay or possibly metrosexual.
I'd like to think he is gay because it gives him alot more character than being just another straight schmuck.

A shame that they made his personality rather unlikable to most TMNT fans because practicly all LGBT people by contrast are the nicest and most charming people you'll meet.
Based off your statement, all the overly-dramatic MTV reality show rejects of the LBGT community are holed up in my town which is why you've never met them.

10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
It was added to Wikipedia by this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/24.109.95.23 anonymous user in April 2007.

ToTheNines
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
My friend went to wikipedia some time last year and added me to the main characters section of TMNT as a "homo-boy who has the power to fly and was born from gay mutant sex" just to mess with me... that's probably the case here.

Scandia
10-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I do not know if the 1987 TMNT cartoon was the best venue for that. Maybe a more mature (for lack of a better term) cartoon aimed at a somewhat older audience (such as Captain Planet) perhaps. But not one where little kids would run to watch because of the gags. Not that I have a problem with a gay character in any way- but because I can imagine fundamentalist parents screaming bloody murder if such a concept were even to be remotely presented.

Hey, they accuse Tinky Winky of being gay- and I have yet to see him show signs of sexual or romantic interest in Dipsy or any other males.

10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
My friend went to wikipedia some time last year and added me to the main characters section of TMNT as a "homo-boy who has the power to fly and was born from gay mutant sex" just to mess with me... that's probably the case here.

I removed that "Robin Coull" name now.

Cipher
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Also my post was a total load of bull.

Ninjinister
10-31-2008, 01:04 AM

Yeah... that was apparent dude :P

Kendamu
10-31-2008, 03:15 AM
Vernon's still gay.

10-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Vernon's still gay.

No, it's never explained.

KROW
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM

But it was very well done.

And yes, Vernon is gay.

Kendamu
11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
No, it's never explained.
I was (actually not) being totally serious and backing it up with (non-existent) evidence of Vernon's homosexual activities that he partakes in during his freetime (that doesn't actually happen).

Also, I'm actually (not) a total homophobe and seriously (do not) think that Vernon's (not-confirmed) homosexual characteristics poisoned the youth of the 1980s and 1990s. He's (not) the reason people ended up choosing to be gay (even though its not a choice).

Clear enough for you? Let a guy tell a joke once in awhile.

11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I was (actually not) being totally serious and backing it up with (non-existent) evidence of Vernon's homosexual activities that he partakes in during his freetime (that doesn't actually happen).

Also, I'm actually (not) a total homophobe and seriously (do not) think that Vernon's (not-confirmed) homosexual characteristics poisoned the youth of the 1980s and 1990s. He's (not) the reason people ended up choosing to be gay (even though its not a choice).

Clear enough for you? Let a guy tell a joke once in awhile.

I always saw Vernon as annoying, I never thought of him being homosexual or not. Irma was much tougher, she took down the Rat King.

Kendamu
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I always saw Vernon as annoying, I never thought of him being homosexual or not. Irma was much tougher, she took down the Rat King.
Well, seriously speaking, I agree.

11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, seriously speaking, I agree.

Also remember how in "Shredder Triumphant", Irma was the girl that used Bebop and Rocksteady's guns to destroy Krang's robot.