PDA

View Full Version : TMNT in East Asia

Type 97 Chi-ha
11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Anyone know how popular the Turtles are/were in Japan, China, Korea, etc.?

They were an American creation, of course, like the little Dutch boy who kept his finger stuck in the dam so it wouldn't leak. ;)

TheUltimateShredhead
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
If it where one place tmnt didn't had a huge success i would have to guess Central-Africa, based on the fact that i think they have very limited access to outside entertainment.

Type 97 Chi-ha
11-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Uh, the reason I brought this up was because the main villian is Japanese, which I believe would be quite significant in that part of the world. Of course, so is the heroes' master.

sdp
11-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Unless we have an actual Japanese member in the 'drome I doubt anyone here would know.

The original show was popular enough to get an animated OVA and a Manga adaptation of the original toon so I'm guessing it was somewhat popular though I highly doubt to the levels in the US or rest of the world.

For the new show I don't think it was as popular, I think I remember reading they no longer air it, I think I also read that they just started airing the show not too long ago (like 2 years?) because I remember some confusion over it if it was going to be a new show or not here in the forums. It did get new animated intros though.

As for the comic/movies I have no idea. I would think the movies were successful enough for a foreign movie with the exception of III. And the comics I would think they aren't very popular since American comics are not popular in Japan (just look at how The Dark Knight did there).

And Shredder/Splinter being Japanese did probably have an impact. Being from another country I know they make a big deal when someone from the country appears in a American film.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I belive TMNT were popular in Japan, they had those Japanese episodes ("Super Turtles" or whatever) and Japanese TMNT comics. Do we have any Japanese here? Or has anybody been to Japan an seen a lot of TMNT stuff?

Shred Head
11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
As for the comic/movies I have no idea. I would think the movies were successful enough for a foreign movie with the exception of III. And the comics I would think they aren't very popular since American comics are not popular in Japan (just look at how The Dark Knight did there).

Well thats not true the X-Men and Spider-Man franchises does very well in Japan from what I heard. Thats even before the movies came out. Also theres Witchbalde anther american comic property that that did very well there. My guess Dark Knight failed wasnt' because its an american superhero it just wasn't there cup of tea maybe it was to western I dont know. I also heard Iron Man did well there hell its getting an anime along with Wolverine.

As for the mirage comic I dont think it was translated or distrubuted there so they probraly didn't even get it. I do think the movies did well enough at least the first one did anyway.