PDA

View Full Version : turtleriffic lingo

Evenstar227
11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Do you regularly use any TMNT slang, quips, or quotes? My favorites include "spookular", "wakey wakey, wake up dude", and "cats & kittens". (Bonus points if you know where those are from!) And of course, the ever-popular "dude". Some of it is deliberate, but some is habit, since I've been watching the OT cartoon and movies since I was a kid. Anyone else do similar?

sdp
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I stopped using "dude" around 8th grade so on 2000/2001 though I didn't say Dude because of the turtles. But around 2006 I tried to incorporate some phrases from the old show actually. Of course when I say them I"m not speaking seriously its either tongue in cheek or I'm trying to be over the top.

I haven't done it as much anymore but it used to be stuff like "exactamundo" "tubuloso" and of course "cowabonga".

Evenstar227
11-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I do it to be silly, but I say these things all the time. T_T

Recently I read Shell Shocked, and ever since I say "holy frecoli" a lot, too. This has been added to the list which includes "holy guacamole" (from Mikey) and "oh my stars and garters" (from Hank McCoy). ^_^

Coola Yagami
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
I use dude alot, as well as exactamundo... just not sure if it was because of the turtles in particular.

CudleyCowlick
11-24-2008, 07:51 PM
My vocabulary has been so influenced by the TMNT that it's not even funny. "Dude" and "Awesome" have been so deeply ingrained that I don't think I'll ever be able to stop using them. When I get particularly excited I'm likely to shout "Awesome Nova!" To which my girlfriend will usually reply... "Chevy Nova?" (God I love her):lol:

cMac44111
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Do you regularly use any TMNT slang, quips, or quotes? My favorites include "spookular", "wakey wakey, wake up dude", and "cats & kittens". (Bonus points if you know where those are from!) And of course, the ever-popular "dude". Some of it is deliberate, but some is habit, since I've been watching the OT cartoon and movies since I was a kid. Anyone else do similar?

Spookular- That was in the second the movie when Mikey and Keno both said pizza.

Wakey wakey, wake up dude- ?

Cats and Kittens- Hot-rodding Teenagers from Dimension X. I forget which Neutrino it was.

Admittedly, I don't have a TMNT mindset when I say my words, minus an occasional out of place here and there. "I have nightmares about birthday parties." "Tonight, I dine on turtle soup!" It's actually pretty funny when you're on a crowded bus and pretend to talk on you're cell phone and use these quotes in quck succession.

Scandia
11-25-2008, 04:50 AM
"Mondo tubuloso!" is a favorite of mine.

turtlefan1
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
i not sure if this counts but i find myself saying oh shell quite a lot.

Archon_Turtle
11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm likely to shout "Awesome Nova!" To which my girlfriend will usually reply... "Chevy Nova?" (God I love her):lol:

You may just be adding your own twist to the line...but incase you arent...That isn't what donatello says in the movie. He says "bossa nova".

KROW
11-28-2008, 07:36 PM
"Dude" is all I use and I'm pretty sure it was from watching TMNT so much.

CudleyCowlick
11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
You may just be adding your own twist to the line...but incase you arent...That isn't what donatello says in the movie. He says "bossa nova".

Oh shell, you mean I've heard it wrong all these years??

This is just like how for so long I thought that line in All Along the Watchtower was "come and dig my herb" when it's actually "plow and dig my earth".

*smacks forehead* :lol:

Machias Banshee
11-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I still use Dude, and about 80% of Northern New England still uses "Wicked"...

NameGoesHere1066
11-28-2008, 09:57 PM
sometimes I try to incoprate OT Raphael smartass quips while I'm talking to my brothers or friends just to see them go "the hell...?" :lol:

shuriken
11-28-2008, 10:08 PM
"Well dudes and dudettes I'd say that's pretty much a wrap" is something I use quite often.
"Something familiar, something...from the past", is used on ocassion.
I don't think I could go a day without actually using dude at least once.
Bitchin every once in a while, but I don't think that counts...

NameGoesHere1066
11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
sometimes I use "any port in a storm..." or "this is getting monotonous" on ocassion . ^_^

shuriken
11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
sometimes I use "any port in a storm..." or "this is getting monotonous" on ocassion . ^_^

"This is getting monotanous" :lol: I remember that, when Rocksteady and Bebop were superheroes. I use that quite often. Thanks for reminding me.

Drtooth
12-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I still use Dude, and about 80% of Northern New England still uses "Wicked"...

Dude I use... Wicked and Awesome I think have run their course. Trust me, living in New England, think of 50 year old women after years of smoking croaking that out... shudder... never will you hear words get killed that fast. But cool never seems to fizzle with age.

Cipher
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Nobody works "Holy hippo spit!" into daily situations?

XERO
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm a 'I made a funny!' kinda guy.:P

KROW
12-09-2008, 09:59 PM

Not me.

Not in that context, anyway...

Jelly Bean
12-09-2008, 10:01 PM

who said this and when?

I don't know if the 4KIDs cartoon counts but I've gotten into the habit of saying "note to self_______" like Leo does in the show. :D

Gawd that Leo is such a cool dude! 8)

Kendamu
12-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I say "dude" a lot. I also made up my own: Awesometastical.

Cipher
12-13-2008, 07:27 PM
who said this and when?"Holy hippo spit!" is a recurring joke in the Mirage comics, first uttered by a bystander in issue #3.

Cowabunga Kiefer
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Sometimes I say dude, probably I don't realize it, and awesome a lot. Definitely a few Raphael sarcasm quotes when the time is right, like "What a brilliantly original idea" or "You better get to talking, or I'm gonna get sarcastic!" and of course, "Does "go suck a lemon", hold any meaning to you?"

Jelly Bean
12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
"Holy hippo spit!" is a recurring joke in the Mirage comics, first uttered by a bystander in issue #3.

thats pretty...retarded. :|

Cipher
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
thats pretty...retarded. :|I think that's the point.

shuriken
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
"Holy hippo spit!" is a recurring joke in the Mirage comics, first uttered by a bystander in issue #3.

I think it's supposed to poke fun at the old Batman Tv series where Robin would exlaim ridiculous phrases whenever they were in trouble like Holy Ice box Batman, or Holy hippo spit Batman and that sort of deal.

Kendamu
12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
thats pretty...retarded. :|
That's what you get from a franchise that's able to laugh at itself.