PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find this cartoon racist?

Wildcat
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Its called "Handy Manny" and it airs on Playhouse Disney. Its been on for a few years but I just found out about it the other day, as I don't watch Playhouse Disney, while watching TV and a promo came on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handy_Manny

Its about a Mexican guy named Manny, and his job is fixing stuff around town which is an obvious stereotype that Mexicans always do oddjobs, house repairs and whatnot for money.

Im not the kinda person that gets offended at stuff like this, be it jokes or comedy in TV & movies, its all in good fun...but its the fact that this is a real show and its for young children at that.

Im Mexican, but thats not why it offended me. What offended me is the very fact that a show thats based on a cultural stereotype...whether its about African Americans, Native Americans, Asians ect..would even exist. Im surprised it was even considered to be produced. There is no way the creators or Disney can deny the obvious stereotype here.

KROW
12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Not much different than Bob the Builder from what I see. I think the fact he's Mexican is just so kids can get a head start on learning another language.

Wildcat
12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Not much different than Bob the Builder from what I see. I think the fact he's Mexican is just so kids can get a head start on learning another language.

Ya its similar to Bob the Builder...its using a Mexican character for it is what turns it into a stereotype. If they wanted to teach kids another language they should have picked another job for him, cause this way the stereotype is just too obvious to the general public.

Barkworm
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't see your point. He's not wearing a huge mustache and a poncho, is he?

GK Punk
12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I think you're reading way too much in to it. The only racist I see is Barkworm.

Ra
12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
^^ ZING!

...na. Not racist in my eyes. Just a show about a guy doing his job. *shrugs* If it were "Dora the Explorer" however... *shudders* Yeah, that show creeps me out for some reason...

Lycanth
12-04-2008, 02:11 AM
My kids watch Handy Manny, and I don't see the racism. The town he lives in is, like, 90% mexican anyway. Even the mayor of the town is mexican, so it's not like Manny is singled out in any way.

Guitar_Raph
12-04-2008, 05:33 AM
At least the guy who voices Handy Manny is doing a mild role, after doing two hot adult shows.

He was the host of MTV's Your Momma as well as being Fez on That 70's Show.

Anarky
12-04-2008, 06:00 AM
I suspect this cartoon has been made by Hitler himself.

Kunoichi_Haruko
12-04-2008, 06:10 AM
If it were "Dora the Explorer" however... *shudders* Yeah, that show creeps me out for some reason...

It's her big head and big eyes-- they stare into your soul, Ra. They stare into your soul!

Drtooth
12-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Yeah, not so much racist as much as boarderline copyright infringement (come on HIT entertainment... wise up. They're stealin' from you). And he's probably Hispanic/Latino only do be competitive with Dora. But then again, I never understood how shouting a word in 2 different languages slowly is teaching kids another language. It just teaches them to be those loud tourists that speak 2 words of the language of the county they're vacationing at and yell them at the help so they can understand.

That said, anyone ever see that McDonalds commercial where the 2 Chinese kids fight over a chicken nugget and do Kung Fu moves? Especially the ones with the Kung Fu Panda stuff taken off (ruining the context of the commercial)... now I find that racist for some reason. Especially since they eat a clear finger food with chopsticks.

Jester
12-04-2008, 07:40 AM
I delegate my comment to Morgan Freeman. Mr. Freeman: (especially the last part....)

FO214IFRW1M

Anarky
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Tadaaah, Morgan Freeman gets it. It's really not all that hard. As long as people talk about it, there will be racism.

I'll tell Hitler to stop making a cartoon, then.

Ninjinister
12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
The only way I could have seen this as racist is if he were standing in front of a Home Depot awaiting his next meal ticket. For the love of God, people have jobs of all sorts. There are many Hispanics who have handyman jobs, as much as they do any other. That would be like telling all of the maintenance people in my apartment building that they should get different jobs because they perpetuate a stereotype.

EDIT: Anarky, your sig is pure win. Captain Gordon totally stole that movie.

Spitfire
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
If he was washing cars and mowing lawns then maybe I could see it being racist. You try to read into anything you could pull racism out of it.

Here's a free one
Shredder treats Baxter more harshly then everyone else because he's black.

Peanut
12-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I find YOU racist!

/thread

Mecha Cow
12-04-2008, 01:08 PM
If he were caucasian people'd complain that there aren't enough non-white cartoon characters. There's no racism here unless that's what you want to see.

And I do! Damn you Manny for taking my job!

Jester
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Manny and his tools are just doing the jobs Americans won't do...

Man...that was freakin' racist.

That Matt Guy
12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I guess no one else saw the episode where he tied a bunch of inter tubes together and floated across the Rio Grande to avoid the border patrol, then took a 16 hour siesta.

Drtooth
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM
If he were caucasian people'd complain that there aren't enough non-white cartoon characters. There's no racism here unless that's what you want to see.

Exactly... you can't go wrong with cartoon animals... they just come off white. Except for Hong Kong Phooey-THE greatest African American superhero.

Wildcat
12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
The only way I could have seen this as racist is if he were standing in front of a Home Depot awaiting his next meal ticket. For the love of God, people have jobs of all sorts. There are many Hispanics who have handyman jobs, as much as they do any other. That would be like telling all of the maintenance people in my apartment building that they should get different jobs because they perpetuate a stereotype.

Well, thats true you have a point...but this is something that was created by other poeple, out of all the characters and themes they could have picked from they had to pick a Mexican doing handyman work.

This stereotype is too well known for it just to seem like a coincidence. I just find it a little hard to believe that from the time this show was thought up to the time it finally aired that it never crossed anyones mind.

Anarky
12-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Wildcat: It has been successfully established that the cartoon was made by the Ku Klux Klan. Go read it up. They want to corrupt our youths with it, propagating the lazy-latino-stereotype. It's good that you bring it up.

Mecha Cow
12-07-2008, 07:28 AM
I have found proof this show isn't racist. This Manny kid is voiced by Fez from That '70s Show, and he's as ethnically ambiguous as it gets.

Drtooth
12-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Well, thats true you have a point...but this is something that was created by other poeple, out of all the characters and themes they could have picked from they had to pick a Mexican doing handyman work.

This stereotype is too well known for it just to seem like a coincidence. I just find it a little hard to believe that from the time this show was thought up to the time it finally aired that it never crossed anyones mind.

But, I must admit one thing... you proven why people think its safer to make a cartoon character/television character white than anything else. Some schnook is going to read too far into something and get randomly offended.

I say Peter Griffin and Homer Simpson are Racist!! They are stereotypes of white males.

Jester
12-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I have found proof this show isn't racist. This Manny kid is voiced by Fez from That '70s Show, and he's as ethnically ambiguous as it gets.
And isn't Wilmer Valderama (Fez) Colombian anyway?

And isn't Wilmer Valderama (Fez) Colombian anyway?
Yes and No Jester. You see, his mother is Colombian and his and his father is Venezuelan. In fact Wilmer was born in the US and is in fact an American. He and his family moved to Venezuela when he was three and only returned when he was 13. You can read about it in the Wilmer Valderama wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmer_Valderama

Yes and No Jester. You see, his mother is Colombian and his and his father is Venezuelan. In fact Wilmer was born in the US and is in fact an American. He and his family moved to Venezuela when he was three and only returned when he was 13. You can read about it in the Wilmer Valderama wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmer_Valderama

Wow, now I know better, thanks Jester.

Wow, now I know better, thanks Jester.
No problem Jester.

Sewer Bull
12-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Jester, aren't you feeling a bit lonely today?

I say Peter Griffin and Homer Simpson are Racist!! They are stereotypes of white males.

I thought Homer Simpson was a yellow male.

Jester
12-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Jester, aren't you feeling a bit lonely today?

I thought Homer Simpson was a yellow male.
Homer's Asian? Could have fooled me...Man I'm a racist douche. You know because all Asians are smart...and Homer's dumb...:(

Wildcat
12-07-2008, 08:35 PM
But, I must admit one thing... you proven why people think its safer to make a cartoon character/television character white than anything else. Some schnook is going to read too far into something and get randomly offended.

Lol, well I have to adimt you got me there, I never looked at it that way.

I guess I am taking it a bit too seriously, I know Disney is not trying to offend anyone, all I was trying to say is what I said in my last post...that, that stereotype must have crossed someones mind at one time or another in the creation of the show.

Voltron
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I guess no one else saw the episode where he tied a bunch of inter tubes together and floated across the Rio Grande to avoid the border patrol, then took a 16 hour siesta.

That was almost as good as the episode where he builds the **** fighting ring for his friend, Davy the Gringo.

In all seriousness, is it so wrong to have a Mexican building things? You need something that kids understand. If they made him a lawyer or brain surgeon, it wouldn't be accessible to three-year-olds.

Drtooth
12-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Homer's Asian? Could have fooled me...Man I'm a racist douche. You know because all Asians are smart...and Homer's dumb...:(

I thought yellow was the color for caucasian skin... I saw Asian characters on the show with sickly looking lighter yellow skin. Whatever, they're ALL voiced by white guys anyway...

That's racist!

Sage Ninja
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm waiting for some one to bring up Doug and say how racist that cartoon was, since all the characters had multi colored skin except the main character Doug who was a natural skin toned. :lol:

Jester
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
i'm waiting for some one to bring up doug and say how racist that cartoon was, since all the characters had multi colored skin except the main character doug who was a natural skin toned. :lol:
racism!!!!!!!

Drtooth
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm waiting for some one to bring up Doug and say how racist that cartoon was, since all the characters had multi colored skin except the main character Doug who was a natural skin toned. :lol:

I'm sorry... but Blues do NOT like to make funny noises, an naming Purples Mr. Dink and giving them those stereotyped accents was shockingly offensive. Only apt stereotype I've seen on that show was Judy Funny... as far as certain artists go.

And don't get me STARTED on Chip and Dale and the Chipmunks.... there are a lot of fine baratoned rodents out there, but do you ever see them? NOOOOOO...

Sage Ninja
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
yeah like Benard from Disney's Rescuers gosh darned it!! :x

Ryona
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
A Mexican builder? Big deal. Be glad it isn't yet again another whitey on tv. Black people aren't even a minority on tv anymore. What we need are more Asians, latinos, mediterraneans, and Natives on the tube.

Drtooth
12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
A Mexican builder? Big deal. Be glad it isn't yet again another whitey on tv.

As I said... people use whities because they can give them personalities and character flaws without some schlemiel complaining about how something is racist. Works for women too, less we forget Venus... no wonder why she had no personality.

Jester
12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
As I said... people use whities because they can give them personalities and character flaws without some schlemiel complaining about how something is racist. Works for women too, less we forget Venus... no wonder why she had no personality.

Wait...isn't that a Jewish word...RACISM!!!

Drtooth
12-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Wait...isn't that a Jewish word...RACISM!!!

Yiddish has all the best insult lines. :fshifty: