PDA

View Full Version : 80's April selfish?

Jelly Bean
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
you know I've been noticing alot of desecriptions of 80's April's personality as being selfish. I'm fairly new to the 80's series and I haven't seen every episode of the show there is out there like every one else so I haven't been completely exposed to how this April acts and behaves through out. So far I haven't seen anything too selfish about this April. She does seem to care about the turtles and their safety and her friendship with them, and she's gone out of her way to help them often like any other version of April does.

The only thing I've noticed about this April is that she has her own seprete life from them and goes about her bussiness and her life doesn't seem as dedicated or wrapped around theuir turtles exsistence as other April's do. So far I like how 80's April knows the turtles and her life and even career is very much involved with them but she still very grounded in her own life as as a functioning human memeber of soceity. Other versions of April seem like they meet the turtles and suddenly their whole lives revolve around them and they sort of become apart of the weirdness of thier exsistence. 80's April even said to Irma once that "the turtles aren't the most exciting thing in her life". So does this make her selfish?

Scandia
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
April may have been a competitive career woman. But she was far from being selfish. She befriended the Turtles and did a lot of good things for them.

Sage Ninja
12-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I think it was OT April's whole "the story comes first above all else even my safety and that of others" that makes people feel she was a bit selfish.

There where a few times where the turtles or some one else was in danger and April could have helped but she was more preoccupied with filming than lending a hand.

Ryona
12-19-2008, 07:18 AM
80's April even said to Irma once that "the turtles aren't the most exciting thing in her life". So does this make her selfish?

To answer that, no, I don't think that makes April selfish at all. If anything, that could have been a hint that April was in an exciting relationship with someone at the time. And just because we never saw April with any girlfriends or boyfriends in the series doesn't mean she never dated throughout the whole series.

Anyway, the fact that April wasn't as attatched to the TMNT in the original series as she seems to be in other series suggests to me that she was living a pretty fulfilling life before she met the boys, where as the other Aprils were not as happy with their lives and felt lonely, so meeting the TMNT for them was a wonderful thing.

ZariusTwo
12-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Some women can go for years without settling for a date, it doesnt occur to them at times because their careers come first and it'd take a paitent guy to get used to abcenses if an assingment to crop up. One explanation for April distancing herself from The Turtles in the final seasons was very much due to be being in her mid-thirties and probably wanting to raise a family...something that could prove dangerous around The Turtles' kind of lives.

April did spend a lot of time with The Turtles in the series, that's why it didnt look like she missed them whenever she had work to do or until they called her. There the boys next door, all she'd need do is visit anytime.

I don't get this "The other Aprils were unhappy" nonsense either. April in the modern series ran a store prior to it being burned down

Archon_Turtle
12-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Every time I glance at this thread title I read "April Shellfish".

Ryona
12-19-2008, 11:34 AM

That actually gave me a good laugh. :lol:

Ninjinister
12-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Dammit, Stephan, now I want clam chowder.

Sage Ninja
12-22-2008, 12:24 AM
actually on a website dedicated to analizing the classic series there is section all about OT April and how she is an 80's kind of girl that made her obsessed with her career to the point of putting her career before people. :o

http://www.geocities.com/tmntdissected/april.htm

Jelly Bean
12-31-2008, 09:10 AM
I think that article is a bit harsh on 80's April. :o

That actually gave me a good laugh.

is there some kind of sexual double meaning to this that I'm some how missing? O.o

NameGoesHere1066
01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
people who say April from the orginal toon is selfish are probably comparing her to the her new toon counter-part where she is a sweet sparkly eyed, girl next door type. In other words NT APril is perfect because she is sweet smart and the big sister type. She's like Betty from archie comics in the new toon.

OT April has flaws and I think that makes her more believable, people are selfish sometimes and OT April was on occassion, since she had a "get the story at all costs" attitude. But I think people forget all the other things April did for the turtles.

Jelly Bean
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
another thing, how come I see people sometimes complain that April used her her looks and flirted to get what she wanted? On another message board one person even called her a bimbo for flirting with Rocksteady to get him to get her turtle com for her. :-?

ZariusTwo
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Would that poster prefer she be tied up? It was effective strategy

Sage Ninja
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
another thing, how come I see people sometimes complain that April used her her looks and flirted to get what she wanted? On another message board one person even called her a bimbo for flirting with Rocksteady to get him to get her turtle com for her. :-?

ok, I myself have heard this said before about OT April, and I've yet to really see April use feminine wiles to get anything. I swear some people will pull anything out of thin air if they don't like a character. :roll:

Drtooth
01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Exactly... I wanna say she did, and I can remember something like that happening, however, I can't think up any examples in any episodes... it's one of those things that doesn't seem true, but you can sort of remember it.

cup-mikey-gertha
01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it was OT April's whole "the story comes first above all else even my safety and that of others" that makes people feel she was a bit selfish.

There where a few times where the turtles or some one else was in danger and April could have helped but she was more preoccupied with filming than lending a hand.

Exactly said. In the NT, it's like April's life revolve around the Turtles but in the other version it's not. I can't say that OT April is selfish, she just have other stuff going on with her life apart from four teenage reptiles and their giant master rat.

:D

Chrissie Terrapin
01-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Exactly said. In the NT, it's like April's life revolve around the Turtles but in the other version it's not. I can't say that OT April is selfish, she just have other stuff going on with her life apart from four teenage reptiles and their giant master rat.

:D

I second that:D