PDA

View Full Version : So...what's left for the big 2-5er?

Jester
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
With the new TMNT animated series ending at the end of the present season (no talks have been started on a new season as of the posting of this thread) and no new movie is proposed to cash in on the 25th anniversary, what exactly do we Turtle fans have to look forward to for the Shell-abration?

Playmates is re-releasing it's "classic" 1989 line of TMNT figures. Kinda cool, but as people have said, we can track them down on eBay. Heck, I have MOC TMNT and complete (if I looked long and hard for the accessories) Bebop and Rocksteady. I might army build with the Foot but that's about it. They are also releaseing retooled movie figures to cash in on the success of NECA's first comic based line.

And speaking of NECA, what do they have coming down the pike for the 25th anniversary? We don't know, because they refuse to speak to Mirage. We've seen and salivated over wave 2 only to have it jerked back from out gaping maws at the last minute. :(

From Mirage itself we can expect trades, which is pretty cool. Collected TMNT comics, FTW. As an Archie fan boy, I'm waiting with baited breath for the Forever War and the accompanying trade. It will make the 25th for me.

So aside from these offerings, and of course let us not forget the Turtle Van World Tour, which I doubt is for us old-timer, hard core fans, what do we have to look forward to in celebration of 25 years of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

gobo
12-30-2008, 12:02 PM
You left the DTV out of the list.

EDIT: And the videogame...

Ninjinister
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Mirage Canon Guidebook... one of the things I'm really looking forward to!

IamtheKnight
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I can't wait for the guide book too.

Spitfire
12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
The trades I'm excited for but it could go two ways. Black and white Archie could look bad ass or just like ass so we will see. If Laird releases any old issue trades I might buy I might skip since I have virtually every trade and all the ones pertaining to the old series. I almost see no need in owning a ****** version of something I already have, oh wait I bought the Tales reissue when I had the old one silly me.

As for toys I've accepted turtles figures are ass for some time now so no surprise there.

Oh let's not forget the game, I want it to be good but if it is I'll be pretty surprised.

What we get is the final bullet that puts the dog down. That dog being the current series which is just slowly slipping into a downward spiral of crap. It's so much so I actual welcome it.

Ninjinister
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM
The trades I'm excited for but it could go two ways. Black and white Archie could look bad ass or just like ass so we will see. If Laird releases any old issue trades I might buy I might skip since I have virtually every trade and all the ones pertaining to the old series. I almost see no need in owning a ****** version of something I already have, oh wait I bought the Tales reissue when I had the old one silly me.

I did it backwards. I bought the reissue primarily because I wanted to see "Spinal Tapped". That ended up being crap, so I bought the original with its Untitled Nobody Story and un-cleaned up goodness. Mmm-mm.

ToTheNines
12-30-2008, 04:18 PM
So far this anniversary **** hasn't done much for me... except hold back season 7 on purpose....

Spitfire
12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I did it backwards. I bought the reissue primarily because I wanted to see "Spinal Tapped". That ended up being crap, so I bought the original with its Untitled Nobody Story and un-cleaned up goodness. Mmm-mm.

The paper helps a lot to, bleached white printer paper is hardly flattering to TMNT art, especially Lawsons.

Ninjinister
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
The paper helps a lot to, bleached white printer paper is hardly flattering to TMNT art, especially Lawsons.

Too right. It loses its gritty, '80's independent comic feel as well.

Mr._Mutant_Man
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never followed the new cartoon series all that closely, so the 25th anniversary sounds great to me so far. Plenty of comic releases and a re-release of the old action figures. For some reason it just seems like it'd be cool to have those again. I wish I had held on to the originals.

Drtooth
01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
So far this anniversary **** hasn't done much for me... except hold back season 7 on purpose....

Considering all I've seen of Mickey Mouse's 80th is a PEZ collection tin, and a T-shirt and plush toy collection exclusive to the impossible to find Disney Stores, we've made out like bandits so far.

... And it still gets me that Inspector Gadget only got a 3 episode DVD that got pulled for his 25th. Sure we want to believe the new series will happen, maybe just in Europe....

Roseangelo
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Considering all I've seen of Mickey Mouse's 80th is a PEZ collection tin, and a T-shirt and plush toy collection exclusive to the impossible to find Disney Stores, we've made out like bandits so far.

... And it still gets me that Inspector Gadget only got a 3 episode DVD that got pulled for his 25th.

Obviously, Disney didn't choose to spend money on Mickey's 80th. Get over it. I don't see that as a big deal, because expecting them to throw a party every 5-10 years is silly. Don't worry about the Mouse, as I'm sure he'll have a huge 100th bash.

I honestly wouldn't consider Inspector Gadget worth the money of any marketing campaign for an anniversary, much as I enjoyed that show.

Mirage spent/is spending $1 million+. Does what you've seen match that investment?

Also, any anniversary is about something more than just how much crap is available to buy. Everyone around here is so hung up on buying crap.

Drtooth
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Obviously, Disney didn't choose to spend money on Mickey's 80th. Get over it. I don't see that as a big deal, because expecting them to throw a party every 5-10 years is silly. Don't worry about the Mouse, as I'm sure he'll have a huge 100th bash.

I'm just pointing out one of the most famous cartoon characters in the world didn't even get a fraction of what we're getting here. Of course Disney doesn't care about anything but a couple instant hit shows and telefilms. And Pixar's films. It's all they're really making money off of right now, anyway.

Yeah, the TMNT are in dire straights with the show ending on an unsatisfying note, no movie sequel in sight, and all that... but we're really seeing SOMETHING... we could just as easily seen a couple DVD re-releases similar to the crappy movie re-release we're getting... something with a rubber stamp on it saying "Oh yeah, it's the 25th anniversary." Hell, we could have seen even less than that. Until they say that all the plans, the tour, etc are canceled (and Muppet fans know that feeling.. Kermit's "World" tour came to an abrupt end at 2 cities) there isn't anything terrible happening here. Low quality maybe, but I have seen much worse.

I still don't see why people are up in arms over them re-releasing old figures we all already have anyway. Transformers did it, Star Wars did it. NECA even rereleased the NBX toys before they made their own line up. Half the kids that bought those ones were probably in diapers when they first came out. It isn't for us die hard fans that have all the re-releases from the 80's. It's for the general "I only care about something for its anniversary" types that either had their toys junked, given away, sold at garage sales, or in any other way grew out of until the nostalgia Renaissance of 2000- something.

At any rate, something's wrong all over with the companies involved, no question. But they could just as easily have given us nothing.

BoggleKng
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Also, any anniversary is about something more than just how much crap is available to buy. Everyone around here is so hung up on buying crap.

So are they actually coming out with any new crap? Or is it just re releases of old stuff?

Kendamu
01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Here's how it looks for me:

- Fill the void in my Vol. 1 collection
- Fill the void in the Tales Vol. 2 collection
- Maybe check out a Turtle Van tour stop if I have the time
- Grab the new Archie stuff
- Grab the OT releases as they come out
- Grab 2k3 Season 3 if released in those half-season sets
- Get the new game
- Crap my pants if the NECA releases end up continuing

Though not all of that is TMNT25-related, for me it's still a lot of TMNT stuff. A normal year would probably be me getting some comics and a DVD of two.

EDIT: It doesn't really bother me. It isn't like I expect Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, and the rest of the Mirage crew to come over to my house with pizza, beer, and a bunch of paint so that we can blast '80s metal out of my stereo while they all paint a giant TMNT mural all over my walls and autograph it or something.

That would be cool, though.

maybop
01-07-2009, 12:40 PM
For me personally it couldn't have come at a better time. I'm 2 years shy of actually keeping with TMNT age but for me I pulled back for a few yerars from when the live action sieres came out. Then when I heard they were coming back I went "Ye-...wait...Carp 4kids is in on it." (and yes I meant carp)

Im now inching back in, seeing 4kids didn't totally ruin TMNT (...yet), I am glad that I feel I am comming back at a decent time. Besides from what I can tell a lot still is not announced for upcoming plans. And the tour is gonna be near by close enough to my birthday to enjoy it.

(this may have no relevance but I figured i'd put it here)

Kendamu
01-07-2009, 01:18 PM
...seeing 4kids didn't totally ruin TMNT (...yet)...

Have you seen Season 3 of that show? It's awesometastical! I can forgive for the later seasons that I don't care too much about because of Season 3 alone!

Oh, and for an update to my list from a couple posts up:

- Fill the void in my Vol. 1 collection (finished collecting "City at War")
- Fill the void in the Tales Vol. 2 collection (grabbed 43-53 and the Mikey miniseries)
- Maybe check out a Turtle Van tour stop if I have the time
- Grab the new Archie stuff
- Grab the OT releases as they come out
- Grab 2k3 Season 3 if released in those half-season sets
- Get the new game
- Crap my pants if the NECA releases end up continuing

Candy Kappa
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I'll be pleased If I can get a hold of the new print of issue 1 and the 88' figures

And I could die happy if Neca releases wave 2

Mr._Mutant_Man
01-07-2009, 09:40 PM

It's all about buying crap. Didn't you see Spaceballs?