PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you a TMNT fan?

Leonardo19
01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Just curious what keeps everyone into collecting and being a fan of TMNT?

For myself I think the Tales of the TMNT comics is what mostly keeps me into TMNT. As far as new toys pretty much just Neca stuff has my interest.

CyberCubed
01-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I was 3 when I started watching the original cartoon, so since then I'm pretty much a TMNT fan for life.

I like both cartoons, all 4 movies, and have almost all of the different comic series, and a good chunk of the toys from both the original toyline, the new series, and the NECA wave.

Every person has that one thing that they're a fan of for life. For some people its Star Trek, for others its Star Wars, for others its DC or Marvel comics, anime, etc, but for me its TMNT. I also like those other things too of course, but TMNT is my #1.

Extreme_Enigma
01-17-2009, 10:15 AM
The Movies and the NECA Toys are keeping me a TMNT fan.

IamtheKnight
01-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I would have to say the 2k3 show, the toys, the comics, and the 25th anniversary.

Cipher
01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
The comics - It's my favorite Turtles universe, and with new publications out monthly, and dozens of back issues I've yet to read, there's enough to keep me interested.

Notalgia - I've loved the franchise (on and off) since I was three. Old habits die hard.

The endless possibilities - TMNT is one of those timeless franchises that you can do just about anything with. They can be goofy, or balls-to-the-wall ninja killers. They can fight ninjas, thugs, aliens, mutants, all in the same series. They can be symbolic and surreal or just pure pulp in the same series. They lend themselves to just about anything, which can't be said for all characters.

Leo656
01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
All of the above and more really. I just love the characters and always have. There doesn't need to be any TMNT product available even, I wrote my first fanfic just b/c I wanted a TMNT story I hadn't already read. Hopefully when all the new stuff isn't around there'll be yet another comeback, but I doubt I'll ever stop loving TMNT, even if they never do more comics or movies or anything.

NightwatchersOnlygirl
01-17-2009, 12:29 PM
The new toon and CGI movie of TMNT keeps me as a fan

Jester
01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
All of the above and more really. I just love the characters and always have. There doesn't need to be any TMNT product available even, I wrote my first fanfic just b/c I wanted a TMNT story I hadn't already read. Hopefully when all the new stuff isn't around there'll be yet another comeback, but I doubt I'll ever stop loving TMNT, even if they never do more comics or movies or anything.
Ditto for the mosty part, I've been a TMNT fan since the old toon, and I will be whatever we get. I may have forgotten them between 1997-2003 a little bit, but now that they are back, I'm back full tilt too.

Chrissie Terrapin
01-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I love turtles and ninja's what can go wrong with that combo hehe^_~

I love the characters the story and the whole theme

KROW
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm going with nostalgia. I don't collect the toys or comics anymore and settle for DVDs when I get the nerve to see it all again. I haven't even kept up with the latest cartoon story since November. I'm fine with the memories and reading/watching what I've got.

gobo
01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
The need to complete a collection before moving on to another, and just being too lazy to get myself hooked on anything else.

Francis The Lost Turtle
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
The cartoon shows, the movies, the books and the one thing that was cool that made stick to TMNT was the crossover with Power Rangers in Space and Ninja Turtles the Next Mutation. That keeps me with the turtles.

Ryona
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM

Gunpoint.

But really, TMNT is so engrained into my life that it's simply a part of me.
It helps that I like to draw TMNT. So even when there isn't anything new around, I can simply draw something new.

TMNT just kicks so much ass. It's still fun now, and it was a blast in the past.
I remember when TMNT owned the world back in the day. Best era ever.

Spike Spiegel
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
The idea of the TMNT as a family unit (come on, who wouldn't want a dad like Splinter?) appealed to me as I got older, but I have always loved the movies first then the comics second, followed closely by 2k3 and the OT.

Mr._Mutant_Man
01-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Nostalgia is a huge reason. It's fun to look back at the stuff I liked as a kid.

The comics are definitely a reason as well. It's been really interesting to find out about the original TMNT storyline I wasn't aware of when I was watching the cartoon as a kid.

Hero
01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Staying out of arguements for one. :)

Aside from anything upcoming that is promisingly good, the already good things that have happened to enjoy over again (cartoons, comics etc) keep me as a fan.

===HERO

Cowabunga Kiefer
01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Simply their personalities from the OT keep my spirits up, and just kinda set me to think more optimistically about life overall. You got 4 totally different points of view, but they still work together and become a hell of a team. If you have a bunch of Donatello personalities, it's no fun. You got a bunch of Michelangelo personalities it's just crazy. These different attitudes keep the program interesting to watch and very entertaining how they cope with one another. The fact that their ninjas makes it a wickedly awesome hobby for them to do!

XERO
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I just love 'em. And I love pizza.

TMNT... you complete me.:P

Machias Banshee
01-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Definitely Nostalgia and my friends online.... ;)

Guitar_Raph
01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Sure, the movies & the cartoon series overall is what TMNT fans like mostly.

But I always liked them for having the guts to Comin Out of Their Shells to show their musical side.

I'm glad for being part of the "meek minority" (instead of moral majority) where there are some fans that like that stage show & The Next Mutation as well.

AquaParade
01-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Mikey from the first movie....How could you turn your back on that guy?:lol:

KROW
01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
... my friends online.... ;)

I'd like to add that to my reason, too. I could go weeks or more without watching anything TMNT, then I talk to Jester and find myself playing DVDs or even opening an old toy chest with turtle figs in them. His fanboy-ism (for lack of a better word) can be kind of infectious, if not a trifle inspiring.

Jester
01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Uh...thanks?

Cipher
01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Sure, the movies & the cartoon series overall is what TMNT fans like mostly.I wish people would, like, read some of the comics, you know?

TheUltimateShredhead
01-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Just never forgot'em after there prime time, rediscovering them in 2k3 on cartoon network made me curious on the old toon again, and downloaded all the eps from a torrent site.

Leo656
01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I've read most of the comics. I have almost every issue of every series, just missing like 5 or so from each. And everything TMNT on DVD except Season 2 Vol 1 and 2 of the new show. Out of everything I'm most familiar with the first movie, but anything TMNT will get me to look.

And I was in the front row at the Comin' Out Of Their Shells Tour at Six Flags back in the day. And I have the cassette tape. Hardcore. 8)

joe-eyeball
01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
OCD and that aint saying much.

Storm Eagle
01-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Like other people have said previously, it's nostalgia.

I love being a turtle...fan. Things like this are the reason why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3sC-OVfdw

BoggleKng
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Collecting, learning about history, meeting new fans and friends, on and offline...

Buslady
01-19-2009, 11:00 PM
What keeps me?
The fact that I have a bunch of friends who are also fans, but we also talk other stuff, life, kids, etc. and the creative prospect- drawing, writing, rpg, etc

oh wait i hafta add

Raph keeps me in the fandom.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NiNi
01-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I think what makes me stay as a TMNT fan is because of the memories of it I've had ever since childhood. I was about 3 when I got into the whole franchise and when it came to the old toon playing back then, I was spastic about it every time it came on. And of course even more so when it came to the live action movies being brought into theaters. Lol.

My other reason is because when I went to Otakon 07 and 08 I met up with Mike Sinterniklaas (as we know voices the current Leonardo in series) so that kind of got my love for TMNT going as well. :tlol:

Starting a I guess beginning of 2008 I was collecting TMNT comics - whether it'd be Tales of TMNT, the Archie comics, or the original Mirage comics for example.

Other than that, my friends online are also a factor in keeping me a TMNT fan since I draw a lot of fan art for it.

DonatelloDomeHead31
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I was about 6 years old when my ninja turtles fan streak started. When the 1990 movie came out on DVD, the fan streak returned. When the recent movie came out, it was back for good. im still a fan to this day and occasionally watch the 1990 movie to relieve the memories.

NightwatchersOnlygirl
01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Me being a Raph fan that why I'm staying the fandom

Archon_Turtle
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
This community is a big part of it.

But mainly that I feel that I owe my life to the property. The short short story is that I was a very very sick little kid, had no friends because I was in the hospital most of the time. The turtles were litterally all I had. So yea, I owe them for helping me through some rough times as a kid.

KROW
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM

But mainly that I feel that I owe my life to the property. The short short story is that I was a very very sick little kid, had no friends because I was in the hospital most of the time. The turtles were litterally all I had. So yea, I owe them for helping me through some rough times as a kid.

And the rockin' tattoos are a constant reminder. :twink:

Sage Ninja
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM

the strong and interesting personality dynamic between the turtles. Pick any universe or medium of the turtles, each version makes their characters engaging and their interactions with each other relatable.

Also the strong brotherly and family dynamic thats present between the guys and Splinter. I just love their family dynamic and the 2k3 series really made me feel their close and love for each other. It's sad the 2k3 version is coming to an end. :(

Jester
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
These Guys:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Jesterangelo/robpaulsen300.jpg
http://voicechasers.com/images/actors/1133.jpg
http://www.camclarke.com/images/Cam%20Clarke%20-%20Enlarged.jpg
http://www.mikeystmnt.com/images/screens/cast/renaday_p.gif
http://voicechasers.com/images/actors/1651.jpg
http://www.newsraparchives.com/images/BarryHeadshot250.JPG
http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/james04.jpg
http://voicechasers.com/images/actors/1002.jpg

That and friends and nostalgia.

Coola Yagami
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
80's April's ass....

Seriously though, just the good memories of the old toon, movies and videogames. And of course, the fact that we had a new show and CGI movie kept the turtles in my mind a while longer.

MrPliggins
01-20-2009, 09:28 PM
The 2k3 show really got me back into it for awhile. I really go in and out with tmnt...I'm the same way with comics. I get out of it for awhile, then I'll read a comic or watch an episode and say "whoa that was awesome!" and go back to it.

Ninjinister
01-20-2009, 10:47 PM

My reasons are a bit different, but I too, had the Turtles to help me through my younger years, and they also helped shape the way I am today. For example, it is because of Bruce Lee and the Turtles that I am a martial artist.

Leo656
01-21-2009, 08:03 AM
80's April's ass....

:lol::lol::lol: I definitely agree with that...

Another thing I forgot was the way I (and I'm sure most of us fans) see more than a little of ourselves in each character. Donnie reminds me how when I was young I wanted to be a scientist more than anything, and I still have a strong scientific fascination. Mikey reminds me of my goofy/wacky side, especially being the only one in the room to laugh at a joke while everyone else gives the "you're a retard" stare. Raph is like, my darker side, the rage and the lack of control. And Leo, my favorite, has my obsessive need to always be IN control, the perfectionist drive to always be better, the DEMAND that those around me try to better themselves also. And Splinter reflects my constant search for deeper meaning in all things, attaching moral lessons to the mundane events of normal life.

Familiar to anyone else? It's easy to be schizophrenic! :lol:

Ninjinister
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

Another thing I forgot was the way I (and I'm sure most of us fans) see more than a little of ourselves in each character. Donnie reminds me how when I was young I wanted to be a scientist more than anything, and I still have a strong scientific fascination. Mikey reminds me of my goofy/wacky side, especially being the only one in the room to laugh at a joke while everyone else gives the "you're a retard" stare. Raph is like, my darker side, the rage and the lack of control. And Leo, my favorite, has my obsessive need to always be IN control, the perfectionist drive to always be better, the DEMAND that those around me try to better themselves also. And Splinter reflects my constant search for deeper meaning in all things, attaching moral lessons to the mundane events of normal life.

I think I picked up those traits from being so involved in TMNT.

Cowabunga Kiefer
01-21-2009, 11:26 AM

I most definitely agree! It's kinda hard to judge which one you like better (in my opinion)!

Weapon X
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Definitely nostalgia, I'm not really into the "New" TMNT. I haven't kept up with the comics since Vol. 4 #10, the new movie was a letdown, the new toy's suck. I do have the new Neca Turtles and the first two seasons of the '03 series though.

I have all of the old series that has been released on DVD so far, I still have all my Mirage Vol. 1, 2, and Archie comics, books and magazines, trading cards, old figures and vehicles, NES and SNES games, and whatever random merchandise I still own.

So yeah it's definitely nostalgia.

Sewer Bull
01-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh my god. He's alive! O_O

Jester
01-21-2009, 04:24 PM
I know what you mean. First Leo and now X...man. What other zombies will come to feast upon the brains of us all?

Tinuvielsdreams
01-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I enjoy watching and reading them still. I have been a fan for so long it's almost a habit that I just wouldn't want to give up. I also can't stop hoping for more TMNT, even when it gets bad I just keep hoping because I really love it.

maybop
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
The thing that keeps me a fan is that when ever I have a down time I can turn to TMNT to cheer me up. Which is what is happening right now actually.

Yeah kinda cheesy and lame but meaningful to me.

Andrew NDB
01-27-2009, 11:42 PM

These days, the comic. Without that, it's all pretty dead to me.

Unless TMNT ever gets proper treatment on the big screen or in other media.

ZariusTwo
01-28-2009, 12:02 AM
The motivated, helpful, energetic participation of a fanbase united and helping to produce independent projects that celebrate the TMNT's capability to anchor us all together in the spirit of fandom.

Oh wait, that hasnt happened..well...ever (and the proof is in the fact the documentary thread above and below are practically ghost-towns full of empty promises and minimal activity)

Golden ShredHead
01-30-2009, 05:59 PM
The drama and comedy of the 1987 series.

NameGoesHere1066
01-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Leonardo and Raphael's passion.

Zage
01-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Love, that's what keeps me a fan, my love for the TMNT universes.

Jelly Bean
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Leonardo and Raphael's passion.

that just sounds very wrong. :lol:

Canadian Turtle
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
For me, I have sort of broke my addiction down into a psychological reasoning as to why I NEED to buy every TMNT thing I see, and just can't get enough of it.

I, like many my age fell in love with the Turtles around age 4 or 5. On my 5th B-day I got nothing but Turtles so it sort of exploded from there. I am a very nostalgic person to begin with, so I love anything that will take me back to that moment in time, when life was awesome!

That is more or less the heart of the addiction, I am addicted to the 'feeling'. This is hard to put into words, but its almost like a created memory or feeling of what it was like to hold those toys in my hands when I was a kid and be so enthralled in the mysticism of it all. In actuality that feeling may have not existed as I want to remember it, and I even acknowledge and even support the fact that I will never find that 'true' moment. So really its a drug... plain and simple.

That and it really is just an awesome story.

I have a question to add to this, you can call it blatant story hunting for the documentary, but well... thats exactly what it is.

We want to share the breadth of extremes in peoples fandom, from the people who just passingly love a part of TMNT to those who's lives are changed as a result of it. As Archon suggested with a short version of his story. Are there others who can attribute TMNT to their well being or held them in such high regards that they got you through tough times. If you don't want to post your stories on here, feel free to email them to me if you want to share them in the documentary.

isaac@fauxpop.tv

Thanks!

Coola Yagami
02-02-2009, 07:45 PM
that just sounds very wrong. :lol:

Really.... Shellback Mountain...?

Ra
02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh god...unwanted dirty thoughts...unwanted dirty thoughts...

Well, all through my life I've seemed to bump into TMNT. Just like that person you seem to constantly run into all day when you least expect it. From all those run-ins I just accepted it as a part of my life. It's been there from the start as a child, and when I entered high school it was back again. I loved it. I couldn't escape from it even if I wanted to.

Even though I'm not as big of a fan as I was back in the day, I still love the characters, the never-ending stories that could be told. How I see all these characters and their influences on me, ever since I was watching "The Next Mutation" as a child.

I couldn't have it any other way.