PDA

View Full Version : How many 25th anniversaries are there this year?

Extreme_Enigma
01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
1st of all we all know that TMNT is having their 25th anniversary. I'm a big WWE fan and I just noticed that there is also the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania.

Can you think of any other 25th anniversaries this year?

prescribeddrone
01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
My 25th birthday in May doesn't count, but I think it's cool that the TMNT share that with me.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1984_establishments and its subcategories to see what was established in 1984

Ninjinister
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm interested in seeing if Sakai has anything in store for the 25th anniversary of Usagi. I'm praying for another TMNT crossover, since there hasn't been anything other than pin-ups since "Shades of Green".

Sarah
01-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Can you think of any other 25th anniversaries this year?

yeah, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Terminator, Nightmare on elm street, Transformers, and as you mentioned, Wrestlemania. Im sure there are more but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Buffy
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm interested in seeing if Sakai has anything in store for the 25th anniversary of Usagi. I'm praying for another TMNT crossover, since there hasn't been anything other than pin-ups since "Shades of Green".

All the the Fantagraphics stories will be reprinted in two slipcased hardcovers. "The treaty" from Shell Shock wil be reprinted and the inclusion of a TMNT/Usagi story that was never reprinted.

Also to celebrate UY's 25th anniversary, Dark Horse is planning a new, fully painted 57 page graphic novel.

Sounds pretty cool to me :)

Ninjinister
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
All the the Fantagraphics stories will be reprinted in two slipcased hardcovers. "The treaty" from Shell Shock wil be reprinted and the inclusion of a TMNT/Usagi story that was never reprinted.

Also to celebrate UY's 25th anniversary, Dark Horse is planning a new, fully painted 57 page graphic novel.

Seriously? F*** yeah. Any ETA on any of this?

Roseangelo
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Why am I not surprised that Usagi is getting better anniversary treatment than the TMNT?

OA
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM

That sounds pretty sweet. Gotta love Usagi.

Buffy
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Seriously? F*** yeah. Any ETA on any of this?

You can read it here on the official website of Usagi Yojimbo: Link (http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/comingup.html#uyse)
The hard cover should be in time for San Diego Comic Con. The new graphic novel will be out in fall of 2009.

Why am I not surprised that Usagi is getting better anniversary treatment than the TMNT?

It's sad indeed :(

Drtooth
01-20-2009, 07:34 AM
... and need I mention that (it's not quite a 25th, but worth mentioning) Sesame Street will be on 40 years come November. Doesn't seem like those fans are getting a lot either... we have 2 books on the history of the show and an "anniversary" DVD chock full of the same clips that you can see on Sesame's Website.

Raph's Girl
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
It's also the 25th annaversary of the current version of Jeopardy. :D

I know there's gonna be lots of events around the Transformers anaversary...like cons (well mostly Botcon) and of course the new movie. They're also getting 25th annaversary figs, DVDs and stuff.

Didn't realize it was the 25th for Terminator....I guess all they're getting is the new movie.

Looking at the list of all the shows that premiered in 1984 I notice a series I've never even heard of... "Pink Panther and Sons"....I wanna see this now.... :P

Drtooth
01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Looking at the list of all the shows that premiered in 1984 I notice a series I've never even heard of... "Pink Panther and Sons"....I wanna see this now.... :P

Trust me... you don't. Really. I made the mistake of seeing one once... just... just don't.

Also turning 25.. Muppet Babies and Heathcliff and the Cattillac Cats.

Now, I doubt Disney would do anything with the Muppet Babies... bringing it to DVD will be a mighty task with all the copyright hurdles with the video clips used in the shoe (Columbia had a partnership with Henson at the time, so there was a LOT of Columbia stuff in it... Ghostbusters, Stooges shorts... etc.)

And as for Heathcliff... well there are rumors they're considering a new Heathcliff cartoon series, but it won't be produced by DIC... so the Catillac Cats are out... Shame that the DVD distribution rights are screwed up with that one....

01-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Don't forget some 1984 songs:

*Alphaville - Forever Young
*Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
*Madonna - Like a Virgin
*Prince - Purple Rain
*Queen - Radio Ga Ga
*Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
*Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock
*Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
*Wham! - Last Christmas
*Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
*Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You

TheUltimateShredhead
01-22-2009, 08:40 AM
1984: Seijūshi Bisumaruku the series Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs where originated from and ofcourse The Transformers. 8)

01-25-2009, 07:20 AM
I think the Transformers 25th anniversary may be a major rival in attention to TMNT.

Mr._Mutant_Man
01-25-2009, 08:33 AM
So this would be the year to finally get around to reading some Usagi Yojimbo, or have reprints been more available than for TMNT? How is that series? I know it's going to be a lot different, but as a fan of the old TMNT cartoon I want to see what the original character was like in the comics too.

Buslady
01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Of course Usagi gets the respect, it's an adult level comic book that wasn't turned into a cheesy kiddie cartoon in the late 80s, 90s.

Raph's Girl
01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Not a 25th annaversary but Marvel is pulling all stops for their 80th with special edition books and such.

It's also the 25th annaversary of Muppets Takes Manhatten!! Wooh!! I have it on DVD...I should watch it for the gazillionth time. *hums to Saying Goodbye*

Archon_Turtle
01-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Now, I doubt Disney would do anything with the Muppet Babies... bringing it to DVD will be a mighty task with all the copyright hurdles with the video clips used in the shoe (Columbia had a partnership with Henson at the time, so there was a LOT of Columbia stuff in it... Ghostbusters, Stooges shorts... etc.)

Disney's license doesnt actually cover the muppet babies.

Our license is only for the muppet show muppets. It also does not include sesame street.

Mr._Mutant_Man
01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Of course Usagi gets the respect, it's an adult level comic book that wasn't turned into a cheesy kiddie cartoon in the late 80s, 90s.

The character was featured in a few episodes of a cheesy cartoon, though, and is probably best known for that. The comic book is pretty obscure.

turkishproverb
01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Only in the states. It gets alot of respect in Europe.

Buffy
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
So this would be the year to finally get around to reading some Usagi Yojimbo, or have reprints been more available than for TMNT? How is that series? I know it's going to be a lot different, but as a fan of the old TMNT cartoon I want to see what the original character was like in the comics too.

The TPB's of Usagi are very easy to find. They are reprinted if an edition is sold out. It's a really good comic book, there are a lot of characters in the Usagi world and they regularly pop back up again. So it would be a good idea to start from the beginning and start reading TPB #1. Your local comic book store should be able to get their hands on them easily.

VaughnMichael
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Disney's license doesnt actually cover the muppet babies.

Our license is only for the muppet show muppets. It also does not include sesame street.
hmmm are you guys going to be making some muppet show stuff?
I'm not a big fan of Muppet Babies but I must say it's odd Disney hasn't done anything with them yet.
And yeah it wouldn't as Sesame Workshop owns the Sesame Characters.

maybop
01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Well Papa John's is having its 25th also. Its perfect. Pizza and Turtles!

Golden ShredHead
01-31-2009, 01:14 AM
My parent's 25th anniversary. 2/4/09

LeoNerdo
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
This Is Spinal Tap turns 25 this year...though technically they were around a few years before that....can't believe nobody thought of that.