PDA

View Full Version : Sucks To Be You

raphael_is_cool
01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Yep. This is my band.

I know I'm not really known around these parts too well but I figured if someone wanted to hear some light-hearted hybrid of punk/ska/reggae music they may like us.

We currently have some rough mixes up so they're not 100%. Some guitar effects are not done, backing vocals are missing on one and some messing around BV takes were left in on another track as a joke (thanks Mr. Producer!). I don't think the vocals have been properly mixed or 'optimised' on the track I sing either. But overall I'm pretty pleased with them.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Enjoy! http://www.myspace.com/suckstobeyouband

Lil G
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Everytime something bad happens in my life my friend says "Sucks to be you". So when i first saw the title of this thread, i started laughing cuz i thought it was pretty funny... no offense...:shifty:

Peanut
05-04-2009, 08:05 AM
As a huge fan of all the genres you listed, I can say you guys are pretty good. The last two songs on your list sound very much like Sublime, and your singer sounds like Jason Navarro from The Suicide Machines at certain points.

It's kinda hard to set yourself apart when it comes to Ska/Punk/Reggae, you've either got to blend elements of even more genres into your songs, or else just be really really ****ing good, cause the top tier bands out there have been around for a long time, and they're fantastic at what they do.

Nice work, though. I think you guys could be great if you continue to improve, you've got a good singer, which is something a lot of up and coming Ska/Punk bands seriously lack. His vocals work with the genre.

Also, get a serious horn section going and/or get someone on a keyboard. Those two things, I feel, can really make or break a Ska band.

raphael_is_cool
05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey. Cheers for taking the time to listen and respond, P J. Thanks.

That's actually me singing the second track. I definitely think the other guy has a better voice though and I do alright backings.

We did have a trumpet player for a while but he moved away for a postgrad course. I've got the sax player from another band I'm in to start learning our stuff if we do joint live shows. I wish we knew someone to play trumpet though.

We're not actually trying to be like some of the bands we look up to such as Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake, we've kinda of got more of a pop-punky sound with a bit of ska mixed in. We've just recorded another three tracks which probably demonstrate that better.

Surprisingly, you probably have a bunch of American and Canadian ska bands (Subb or old Goldfinger, for example) that we sound sort of similar to and yet over here there is nothing really like that (besides perhaps Spunge). Most bands tend to go the 'skacore' route which I dislike (Capdown, King Prawn).

We're always improving. It's just our drummer that isn't really committing to it and doesn't really practise or learn anything. Oh well, I've always got the other band...

Peanut
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey. Cheers for taking the time to listen and respond, P J. Thanks.

That's actually me singing the second track. I definitely think the other guy has a better voice though and I do alright backings.

We did have a trumpet player for a while but he moved away for a postgrad course. I've got the sax player from another band I'm in to start learning our stuff if we do joint live shows. I wish we knew someone to play trumpet though.

We're not actually trying to be like some of the bands we look up to such as Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake, we've kinda of got more of a pop-punky sound with a bit of ska mixed in. We've just recorded another three tracks which probably demonstrate that better.

Surprisingly, you probably have a bunch of American and Canadian ska bands (Subb or old Goldfinger, for example) that we sound sort of similar to and yet over here there is nothing really like that (besides perhaps Spunge). Most bands tend to go the 'skacore' route which I dislike (Capdown, King Prawn).

We're always improving. It's just our drummer that isn't really committing to it and doesn't really practise or learn anything. Oh well, I've always got the other band...

No problem, man. I'm always into checking out these types of bands.

It's not a surprise that you guys are among few on your side of the pond. All things considered Ska is pretty much dead in the NA. I went to a LTJ and RBF joint a couple months back, and LTJ said they pack the house in Canada, but sometimes get less than 10 people to a show in the States, which is f*cking SAD for such a staple of the 90's Ska revival. So when you've got the big boys of Ska failing around here, it's no surprise there are few bands in the genre over there.

And dude, who needs the drummer! Just get a monkey back there and call it a day.

Lil G
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Your pretty damn sweet. I dont really like rock and roll but i got into your songs pretty fast.

FurnieCola
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
That pretty cool. I like-

raphael_is_cool
05-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Your pretty damn sweet. I dont really like rock and roll but i got into your songs pretty fast.

That pretty cool. I like-

Thanks, guys!