PDA

View Full Version : the channel six characters in Red Sky

Sage Ninja
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
If every one remembers the last three seasons of the classic toon, commonly known as "Red Sky" you'll know that most of the channel six characters Burns Thomas, Vernon, and Irma where fazed out of the series completely. (Even April was getting pushed to the back ground in these later seasons.)

With the new tone red sky was going for, I guess it was inevtiable that these guys where dropped and no longer served any more purpose. But does anyone think they could have been used instead of dropped like they did?

It seemed like in Red Sky the channel six characters where getting their characters made over to be more menacing and bitter. Burn's was launching a campaign to show the turtles to the public as monsters that where the cause of all the cites problems as an act of vengence for their hand in destroying his channel six building and Vernon was delberately telling lies about them on tv. Then suddenly they where dropped and never seen again when April cut off ties with channel six and went freelance. Do you think instead of dropping them colpletely that the channel six people could have been used more in Red Sky instead of being completely dropped from the series?

Canadian Turtle
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately I have never had the chance to see the "Red Sky" episodes yet, as I am waiting for the DVD's (so ask me in 5 years).

This is interesting, as I have always wondered where they were going with the story at the end, where would have they gone, had the show stayed on? This is something I will be asking those powers that be come Monday, I hope things like this pop up in the documentary for everyone!

CyberCubed
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll make it simple for you:

The main reason Vernon, Irma and Burne were phased out is because Shredder blew up the Channel 6 building, April lost her job, and April took a new job as a freelance reporter.

Since April no longer had anything to do with Channel 6, the characters associated with it were no longer needed. Also, Vernon and Irma in particular were used for a lot of comedy in the series, and since the show was becoming more serious, they couldn't fit into the story.

The show was changing completely by that point though, hence Shredder/Krang also being phased out for Lord Dregg.

TheUltimateShredhead
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, the red sky era of the series was a time for change so why not skip out on some sidekicks.

ZariusTwo
02-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Bure and Vernon always walked a tightrope in the series. When Channel Six was thrashed, they didnt change much, they just reverted back to form after a period of complaicency. The Vernon seen in "Shredderville" manifesting was a strong example of his racist side that the Turtles feared would manifest and abuse the journalistic influence that aspect of his personality had the right to use.

TheUltimateShredhead
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Bure and Vernon always walked a tightrope in the series. When Channel Six was thrashed, they didnt change much, they just reverted back to form after a period of complaicency. The Vernon seen in "Shredderville" manifesting was a strong example of his racist side that the Turtles feared would manifest and abuse the journalistic influence that aspect of his personality had the right to use.

How does rasism come in here?

ZariusTwo
02-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Vernon was spreading anti-mutant propaganda in "Shredderville"

TheUltimateShredhead
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
hmm... i thought rasism only was within the human kind:ohwell: Well, im not gonna argue, after all the turtles are under several occations defined half human.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
How does rasism come in here?

Shredderville is much a parody of racism and dictatorship states. The entire TMNT concept deals a lot with man's fear of the different.

ZariusTwo
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
hmm... i thought rasism only was within the human kind

Yes, because you know how a dog, ape, cat, or other creature thinks:roll:

02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately I have never had the chance to see the "Red Sky" episodes yet, as I am waiting for the DVD's (so ask me in 5 years).

This is interesting, as I have always wondered where they were going with the story at the end, where would have they gone, had the show stayed on? This is something I will be asking those powers that be come Monday, I hope things like this pop up in the documentary for everyone!

The first DVD already had some Red Sky episodes.

TheUltimateShredhead
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Shredderville is much a parody of racism and dictatorship states. The entire TMNT concept deals a lot with man's fear of the different.

I see. good resonating, weird i didn't pick that up:P

Yes, because you know how a dog, ape, cat, or other creature thinks:roll:

hehe... i was thinking about the dictonary term, but i've heard about rasistic incidence in the animal world to:ohwell:

02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I would like to see April and Irma in their leisure.

TheUltimateShredhead
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I would like to see April and Irma in their leisure.

April tried, but she ended up in one off Dregg's schemes so she failed anyway:P