PDA

View Full Version : How good did the old toon do?

GreasyBoi
02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I know it's a stupid question, but, I know the old toon did well but was it better than the 2k3 seasons?

LeoNerdo
02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't know numbers, but it was a cultural phenomenon when the OT hit the air.

CyberCubed
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
If you're talking about ratings, the original toon did a HELL of a lot better than the new toon.

The series didn't last 10 seasons for no reason.

FlawedCoil82
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Which I cannot even begin to understand. I found the 2003 series to be so much better than the OT that I don't even think it's fair to compare them together. :ohwell: Although I cannot agree with the rest of the world on a lot of other things either, including their choices of music, television shows, politics, trends, movies, books or just about anything else that America and the rest of the world says is "good". I can only thank God every day that it isn't up to the majority to decide for me what I should like.
Jack

Cipher
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Which I cannot even begin to understand. I found the 2003 series to be so much better than the OT that I don't even think it's fair to compare them together.The old toon was the first of its kind. It was action packed, great advertisement, full of self-aware humor and parodies that other kids' shows lacked, family friendly, and generally agreeable for all ages. Plus, it was just so out there for its time.

The 2003 toon was a better-than-average children's action cartoon. It was good for what it was, but it's nothing Bruce Timm and the DC Animated Universe hadn't done ten years earlier. It's easy to see why the first series was more successful.

ZariusTwo
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Which I cannot even begin to understand.

What's so difficult to understand?

-It was fun
-Had memorable characters with diverse characteristics and personality traits that many fans still discuss. I think there was more variation here than the characters in the modern version.
-Had humour that appealed to young and older audiences
-The concept inspired originality to cope with the difficult adaptation of the source material
-It was toyetic.

Although I cannot agree with the rest of the world on a lot of other things either, including their choices of music, television shows, politics, trends, movies, books or just about anything else that America and the rest of the world says is "good". I can only thank God every day that it isn't up to the majority to decide for me what I should like.

So you think that just because you have a "diverse" mind, everyone else is a sheep who has no taste? How pretentious of you. You yourself are following a "trend" of being a reactionary, a radical, you don't stand out any less than others who blend into "the majority". Gotta love hypocrisy.

People have legit reasons to prefer the original series over the modern version, which itself had a piss-poor second season with no direction and the last two seasons were s*it.

gobo
02-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Which I cannot even begin to understand. I found the 2003 series to be so much better than the OT that I don't even think it's fair to compare them together. :ohwell: Although I cannot agree with the rest of the world on a lot of other things either, including their choices of music, television shows, politics, trends, movies, books or just about anything else that America and the rest of the world says is "good". I can only thank God every day that it isn't up to the majority to decide for me what I should like.
Jack
Stop reading my mind! :x[/beingsilly]

Golden ShredHead
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Man, the first TMNT cartoon is way better than the new one.

FlawedCoil82
02-04-2009, 08:50 PM
What's so difficult to understand?

-It was fun
-Had memorable characters with diverse characteristics and personality traits that many fans still discuss. I think there was more variation here than the characters in the modern version.
-Had humour that appealed to young and older audiences
-The concept inspired originality to cope with the difficult adaptation of the source material
-It was toyetic.

The original toon is what killed my interest in TMNT. I was into them for one reason, to see characters I found interesting fight with the bad guys. I do not call throwing a pizza in a bad guys face as "fighting". So again, I find the new cartoon far more entertaining than I ever did the old toon.

So you think that just because you have a "diverse" mind, everyone else is a sheep who has no taste? How pretentious of you. You yourself are following a "trend" of being a reactionary, a radical, you don't stand out any less than others who blend into "the majority". Gotta love hypocrisy.

It's not hypocrisy at all. I just simply do not agree with those who feel "those who do it first, do it the best". For example, if I asked someone on here to name a few of the greatest grunge rock bands, they would say "Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc..." and I would not agree with a single one of those choices. To me, Silverchair and Bush far surpassed and only perfected that style (granted...Silverchair now sucks extremely bad) but the point still stands that one of the biggest misconceptions in this life is that those who do it "first" are the ones who do it "best". You could not pay me enough money to even pretend to believe that. I only care about who does it the best, and in my opinion, the new toon did everything far better and yet was still crapped on by most fans because it didn't show cutesy turtles making jokes out of villains and eating pizza.

If I asked someone to tell me one of the greatest rock bands out there, I would be completely horrified when they sent me "The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc." I don't like that crap, I never will like that crap and the people who overhype them are all following a common belief that some things should NEVER be spoken against. Even now, I can hear the collective gasps from people reading this: "Did he really speak badly against the almighty Beatles?". Yes I did because I've heard their music always praised and yet it does no more for me than modern rap music does.

Anyways I am just rambling on here, but the point is do not call me a hypocrite when I am someone who refuses to back down from my beliefs just because others do not like them or they do not fit in with the common overall mentality. I do all of the judging for myself and never take anyone's advice on anything that should be praised, because more often than not I find them to be completely different tastes than my own. It does not mean I am better than anyone. It means simply that it is my own opinion and when it is the same as others, great. If it's not then don't expect me to bow down and praise something that I don't feel deserves it.
Jack

Jelly Bean
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Man, the first TMNT cartoon is way better than the new one.

how can you say that when in another thread you said you've only seen the 80's toon?

GK Punk
02-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Because he wants post count +1!

nimrod
02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
It's not hypocrisy at all. I just simply do not agree with those who feel "those who do it first, do it the best". For example, if I asked someone on here to name a few of the greatest grunge rock bands, they would say "Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc..." and I would not agree with a single one of those choices. To me, Silverchair and Bush far surpassed and only perfected that style (granted...Silverchair now sucks extremely bad) but the point still stands that one of the biggest misconceptions in this life is that those who do it "first" are the ones who do it "best". You could not pay me enough money to even pretend to believe that. I only care about who does it the best, and in my opinion, the new toon did everything far better and yet was still crapped on by most fans because it didn't show cutesy turtles making jokes out of villains and eating pizza.

If I asked someone to tell me one of the greatest rock bands out there, I would be completely horrified when they sent me "The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc." I don't like that crap, I never will like that crap and the people who overhype them are all following a common belief that some things should NEVER be spoken against. Even now, I can hear the collective gasps from people reading this: "Did he really speak badly against the almighty Beatles?". Yes I did because I've heard their music always praised and yet it does no more for me than modern rap music does.

Anyways I am just rambling on here, but the point is do not call me a hypocrite when I am someone who refuses to back down from my beliefs just because others do not like them or they do not fit in with the common overall mentality. I do all of the judging for myself and never take anyone's advice on anything that should be praised, because more often than not I find them to be completely different tastes than my own. It does not mean I am better than anyone. It means simply that it is my own opinion and when it is the same as others, great. If it's not then don't expect me to bow down and praise something that I don't feel deserves it.
Jack

For grunge- Alice in chains was much better than the 3 you listed in retrospect. As for the old school rock bands- Alice Cooper.

I re-watch the old TMNT toon now and am not too sure why I watched it for so long. Now I cannot watch any tv shows that do not have growth. The beginning mini series was great. Then each episode kind of became mutant of the week or how will Shredder try to take over the word (until red sky anyways). The new show was far superior in terms of quality (even FF).

GK Punk
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
So basically, this guy just has bad taste. Especialyl since he just said Silverchair and Bush are grunge. (The "G" in my name is for Grunge...) And Nimrod, totalyl wtih you there. Alice In Chains is one of my most favorite bands.

Jelly Bean
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
and now all we're going to talk about is bands. :roll:

OI don't see how one can compare these two shows since their so diffrent from each other.

FlawedCoil82
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
So basically, this guy just has bad taste. Especialyl since he just said Silverchair and Bush are grunge. (The "G" in my name is for Grunge...) And Nimrod, totalyl wtih you there. Alice In Chains is one of my most favorite bands.

Exactly my point! Because I had an Alice In Chains boxset called MUSIC BANK (since people said that they were "the best"). Well I found Alice In Chains to be so "amazing" that I sold that entire boxset for $10 after giving it a several listens and realizing there wasn't anything on there that compared to Bush and my (once beloved) Silverchair (again they blow now, but they once were far more enjoyable to listen to than any other band I know....they decided to change and I did not). All I need from Alice In Chains is NOTHING SAFE: THE BEST OF THE BOX which has their only appealing songs on it.
Jack

FlawedCoil82
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
and now all we're going to talk about is bands. :roll:

I guess we are getting a little off topic here. :lol: But the music section of this board didn't really have any topics that I cared for. However if anyone wishes to continue rock music discussion, make the thread and I'll join in.
Jack

Ninjinister
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
EDIT: Never mind... I think I misread something. Carry on.

Krang
02-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Speaking of staying on topic, let's keep in mind that the original topic is about how successful the cartoons were, not which one you like better (especially since threads like that usually don't turn out well...).

Kendamu
02-05-2009, 01:52 AM
The old cartoon, because of the time it came out and what came before it, did a gajillion times better than the new one. I haven't seen a real strong Turtlemania take place in recent years. Yes, they're doing pretty well, but not nearly as well as from around the time of 1989 to 1992. Part of that may be due to the fact that people who watched TMNT as a kid, who would not be opposed to watching cartoons now as adults, don't like 2k3 because it bears little resemblance to the OT. It's way too similar to the comics and doesn't have any of the familiar music of the OT.

TheUltimateShredhead
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
The ot was pretty much one of the most popular cartoons worldwide, i don't know if the new toon is/was though:ohwell:

Weapon X
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
The show lasted 10 years, so yeah I'd say it did pretty damn well. It was always high in the ratings wasn't it? TMNT was the big thing back then, TURTLMANIA as it's called, everyone loved it. Now though it just doesn't have that same popularity although the 2k3 series was good. It's almost like the Turtles had their time, their fame and no one really cares. And with how everyone on here complains about how the property is handled it's no wonder.

Cipher
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
The original toon is what killed my interest in TMNT. I was into them for one reason, to see characters I found interesting fight with the bad guys. I do not call throwing a pizza in a bad guys face as "fighting". So again, I find the new cartoon far more entertaining than I ever did the old toon.I can totally see why you like the new cartoon better, but you'd have to be blind not to see why the old show was more successful.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
It's up to everyone which you like best, but the 1987 cartoon will always be remembered as a cultural phenomenon from the 1980's and 1990's.