PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 25 years of Animation - Panel Discussion

Vegita-San
02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Uploading Parts 1 and 2.

http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Hopefully done uploading and converting by 12AM. I'm working on over drive trying to get this stuff up, and it's time to go to bed :).

I'm sure some kind sole can post the youtube url when they are done :)...thanks!

gobo
02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
ey30MKvzDXI
p4LeaW4Z1jY
YQU9gv22xG4
LfWjd85Iek8
CgG8nJH3eLw
eA4Z2OPoWJU

gobo
02-09-2009, 03:07 AM
Hey, you mods. I'm a double-post. Delete me, goshdarnit! :goof:

X
02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Good to see part 2 wasn't the end of it.

None of that was informative to why the animation of the Turtles is quote, "25 years and going strong."

I was looking forward to seeing what the future had in store for the TMNT.

doomiscool
02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
They kept saying "8 seasons" but if BTTS is the last, isn't that 7? :ohwell: Does that mean there is another season?

Thanks Vegita! I can't wait to see the rest, but don't rush yourself (I've been overworking a lot recently too...last night I was up until 4am :o) :3

Drtooth
02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
They kept saying "8 seasons" but if BTTS is the last, isn't that 7? :ohwell: Does that mean there is another season?

I think other people are confused thinking FF was 2 seasons. After all, it was 26 episodes split up into 2 13 episode segments, and while over 13 aired in one TV season, the remainder aired the following season. So it's probably 8 broadcast seasons on a technicality that they're counting.

Unless the real season 7 was the episodes for FF they didn't get to go into production. You know the REAL lost season.

Vegita-San
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Uploading the rest of the stuff now..

All 6 parts should be up around 2 depending on how fast youtube is

CyberCubed
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Did anyone ask them the future of the show?

Nexxorcist
02-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Unless the real season 7 was the episodes for FF they didn't get to go into production. You know the REAL lost season.

I think that's the real reason.

Vegita-San
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Yep, it's in there

AquaParade
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks a ton for the upload...I can't find any of the parts past part 2 though...Anyone see them?

Also...anyone get excited when one of the writers mentioned he was most proud of his work on the upcoming dvd?:D

Vegita-San
02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks a ton for the upload...I can't find any of the parts past part 2 though...Anyone see them?

Also...anyone get excited when one of the writers mentioned he was most proud of his work on the upcoming dvd?:D

Currently uploading.. Youtube is being REALLY slow as of late...
Part 3 is only at 97% and it's been going for at least an hour

johnnyblaze
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Did anyone ask them the future of the show?
They aren't sure whats going on, Someone mentioned its like this for most of the seasons but nothing to this extent.

They are however very excited about the movie length episode they are working on. Its supposed to be finished by June, it may debut at the SDCC this year and it deals with new characters meeting up with some older characters. Thats all they would say other than its pretty much seems to be the favorite 2K3 project for the majority of the panel. I'm buying my SDCC ticket Friday lol.

Also keep your eye out for the Rat King.

Ninjinister
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM

What the devil...?

Drtooth
02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
They aren't sure whats going on, Someone mentioned its like this for most of the seasons but nothing to this extent.

Not... gonna...happen. Straight from Laird's Mouth himself. BTTS? A-th-th-the-the-the-the-That's All Folks.

They are however very excited about the movie length episode they are working on. Its supposed to be finished by June, it may debut at the SDCC this year and it deals with new characters meeting up with some older characters. Thats all they would say other than its pretty much seems to be the favorite 2K3 project for the majority of the panel. I'm buying my SDCC ticket Friday lol.

I wonder if they were actually planning to announce that during SDCC, since that one's the big event where they usually unveil plans for everything.

AquaParade
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
New characters meeting old characters? Gah...This dtv is the one tmnt thing I'm pretty excited about right now, but as much as I love the old toon....I just don't get excited over them meeting up with 2k3 turtles. I am just having trouble thinking of a good story that could come out of that.... I rather see a remake of "The River" or something comic related. Merging old and new tmnt just seems kinda silly..

"Were the silly ninja turtles! :p!"

"oh ya? turtles count it off!!!"

...Still keeping faith if the writers and producers are pretty excited about it though.

X
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM

^^^^^

Hmmm... This makes me wonder if maybe we are jumping the gun a bit.

Sure it could be over, but Laird did mention the words "for now," which to me means either -

1. A new season could be produced at anytime between now and September.

2. A new series will come some years down the line.

Funny thing is that when someone says, as of now, that could mean anything.

Guess only time will tell.

Still boggles me with the whole "25 years and going strong," in terms of animation. If it were really ending, that wouldn't be showing how strong it is correct?

What also boggles me is this Rat King nonsense. If there are only two episodes left, how can we get a Rat King episode?

Also, how will we see the Shredder War from the start of season 8?

johnnyblaze
02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I wonder if they were actually planning to announce that during SDCC, since that one's the big event where they usually unveil plans for everything.

They want to premiere it at SDCC.

What the devil...?

Some asked if Rat King was going to be back. They said to look for him to show up.

New characters meeting old characters? Gah...This dtv is the one tmnt thing I'm pretty excited about right now, but as much as I love the old toon....I just don't get excited over them meeting up with 2k3 turtles. I am just having trouble thinking of a good story that could come out of that.... I rather see a remake of "The River" or something comic related. Merging old and new tmnt just seems kinda silly..

"Were the silly ninja turtles! :p!"

"oh ya? turtles count it off!!!"

...Still keeping faith if the writers and producers are pretty excited about it though.

It may not be like that exactly. They wouldn't really elaborate. It could very well be them introducing 2k3 versions of Bebop and Rocksteady or using the Technodrome or something like that. All I know is that it involves multiple old school characters.

What also boggles me is this Rat King nonsense. If there are only two episodes left, how can we get a Rat King episode?

Also, how will we see the Shredder War from the start of season 8?

DTV maybe...if this DTV is going to be the last go for the 2K3 show then they are likely trying to go out with a bang so who knows what characters may show up.

Cipher
02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
It may not be like that exactly. They wouldn't really elaborate. It could very well be them introducing 2k3 versions of Bebop and Rocksteady or using the Technodrome or something like that. All I know is that it involves multiple old school characters.
I think I would faint from how awesome that would be.

Bad-ass reboots of Bebop and Rocksteady are long overdue.

CyberCubed
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Did they blatently say production is done on the series?

Vegita-San
02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Part 3 is up and part 4 is processing. Part 5 is uploading now

johnnyblaze
02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Did they blatently say production is done on the series?
no, just that they don't know whats going on as of right now.

CyberCubed
02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
no, just that they don't know whats going on as of right now.

The reason I ask is because...won't these people be out of a job once the show ends? I imagine 4kids would move them to their other shows, but if the production staff doesn't even know their show is done, how do they still know if they have a job in the Fall?

johnnyblaze
02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
The reason I ask is because...won't these people be out of a job once the show ends? I imagine 4kids would move them to their other shows, but if the production staff doesn't even know their show is done, how do they still know if they have a job in the Fall?
I don't know how it works in their business but I imagine just that, they have other shows or projects lined up once they finish up TMNT.

CyberCubed
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I wish they'd just come out and say the show is done then. If Mirage and 4kids both say the same things about not knowing what is going on, then who is this up to...Playmates?

It seems like the cartoon won't even have a real ending.

X
02-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I like how Lloyd in part 3 says "how it affects us going forward," when talking about the show, when asked about Playmates meshing the movie line into the cartoon by making them add eyes to the Turtles.

For a show that is supposedly ending, they never allude to it.

johnnyblaze
02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I wish they'd just come out and say the show is done then. If Mirage and 4kids both say the same things about not knowing what is going on, then who is this up to...Playmates?

It seems like the cartoon won't even have a real ending.

Actually Playmates does have some influence lol. They did mention that they do get involved sometimes to a pretty big degree (the last big time they got involved Fast Forward was the end result). According to them though Laird is a bit of a buffer between them, always telling them if Playmates wants something and they can't make it work don't worry about it and don't force it. Overall its just simply a lot of factors and minds that all have to line up to get seasons off the ground. Look at Spectacular Spider-Man for example, they are in a similar boat.

I'm really thinking the DTV is supposed to be the real ending.

Vegita-San
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Part 4 is up. Part 5 is processing, and part 6 is uploading. Should be all done and with a 'Watch in HD' link by 5PM at the rate it's going now.

I'm uploading the Mirage panel next since it got approval from Steve, and Jim at least....

X
02-09-2009, 03:57 PM
So based on part 4, there is no confirmation of an end to the show.

I'm sure if people on this board were told hey the show is ending, and other websites report as such, then the people who make the show would've said the same thing.

For some reason though, they are on a wait and see status. Straight from the horses mouth.

So for now on, I will base my assumptions on a wait and see, but anything can happen. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, I hope the info comes to light here, based on actual fact.

Just got done watching 4 and 5, and it is more informative then the first 3. Can't wait to see the final one.

Thanks for uploading these Vegeta.

ToTheNines
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
What do they mean expect Rat King? I doubt he'll be in the turtle titan ep, and if he's in the last episode that's gonna be so much **** crammed into one episode.

dripgutz24
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
What do they mean expect Rat King? I doubt he'll be in the turtle titan ep, and if he's in the last episode that's gonna be so much **** crammed into one episode.

What I think they meant about that is that Rat King will be in the DTV, thats my take on that.

The Terror of Death
02-09-2009, 11:17 PM

He'll probably make a cameo in the last episode. Since Karai and Bishop are in the episode its safe to assume most if not all the TMNT villains will make appearances.

Cipher
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Wait minute...

So the movie (or rather, Playmates' reaction to it) was responsible for the stylistic change as early as Fast Foward, and for the smaller episode count this season?

That's total balls.

Andrew NDB
02-09-2009, 11:52 PM
So based on part 4, there is no confirmation of an end to the show.

http://www.azureacres.com/addiction-recovery/denial.asp

gobo
02-10-2009, 05:18 AM
So the movie (or rather, Playmates' reaction to it) was responsible for the stylistic change as early as Fast Foward, and for the smaller episode count this season?
Fast Forward was already on the air when the '07 movie premiered. So, color me confused.

Cipher
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Fast Forward was already on the air when the '07 movie premiered. So, color me confused.When asked how the new movie affected the show, they replied that when Playmates decided to focus on the more high-profile movie figures, it lead to budgetary restraints on the show. I assume part of these restraints was the simpler style and shorter seasons. These could have been enacted well before the movie actually premiered.

Not that I don't enjoy Fast Foward (I'm part of the minority that does), but if the show had money taken away because of the inferior movie, it's a real shame.

CyberCubed
02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't get that either. 4kids' budget on animation didn't have anything to do with the movie.

The only affect the movie really had was giving the Turtles pupils in BTTS.

gobo
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
And making April paper-thin...

Cipher
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't get that either. 4kids' budget on animation didn't have anything to do with the movie.

The only affect the movie really had was giving the Turtles pupils in BTTS.Paraphrasing: "When Playmates saw that the movie was generating more hype, and that movie-based toys would sell better than cartoon-based toys, they removed some of their funding. This lead to, among other things, smaller episode counts."

And, I assume, cheaper animation, as this would have been around the time Fast Foward was in conception.

The Terror of Death
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Not that I don't enjoy Fast Foward (I'm part of the minority that does), but if the show had money taken away because of the inferior movie, it's a real shame.

Ditto. Weren't they also the ones who wanted the show to be lighter and funnier? Which means there the main ones to blame for why the writing for FF was simpler and lower quality than 2k3.

There also probably the main reason for there being BttS instead of FF season 2. :ohwell:

CyberCubed
02-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I had hoped the movie would cause the show to go in that direction (not monster wise, but theme wise), but we got a cyber world plot instead, which is so-so but nothing special.

I wonder if interest in continuing the cartoon would happen if the 5th movie deal is announced.

Roseangelo
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
You guys are forgetting that (the real) season 2 of FF was already in development when the movie came out. When that happened, Playmates pulled the plug on FF and insisted that the cartoon look like the movie (to match their action figures).

VaughnMichael
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Hence why I now hate the movie.

Leonardo Mystic
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
What sorry pieces of... Ugh. Yeah, that was genius. >_> Playmates is so full of crap.

CyberCubed
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
You guys are forgetting that (the real) season 2 of FF was already in development when the movie came out. When that happened, Playmates pulled the plug on FF and insisted that the cartoon look like the movie (to match their action figures).

Yeah, I know.

But my question is, let's assume the 5th movie actually happens and is officially confirmed, could this have an impact on the cartoon?

I don't get it, the interview with Lloyd and those other 4kids writers made it seem like they would want to do another season. Is it really only Playmates that's preventing them from doing this?

Roseangelo
02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I know.

But my question is, let's assume the 5th movie actually happens and is officially confirmed, could this have an impact on the cartoon?

I don't get it, the interview with Lloyd and those other 4kids writers made it seem like they would want to do another season. Is it really only Playmates that's preventing them from doing this?

I don't know what the actual factors are that put a stop on the series, but the people on that panel aren't in charge of whether or not there is another season, no matter how much all of them would like to make another one.

It's kinda a catch 22 where you need the licensing deals to justify keeping the show going, but you can't get the licensing deals without a show to back it up. A new movie deal would certainly throw a positive wrench into the possibilities, but would any of the existing partners be willing to stick out two or so really dull years in terms of revenue while the movie got made? It's all quite complicated and interconnected.

Nexxorcist
02-11-2009, 12:27 AM
wow rose, you definitely know ur stuff. :)

Dragon Turtle
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
When asked how the new movie affected the show, they replied that when Playmates decided to focus on the more high-profile movie figures, it lead to budgetary restraints on the show. I assume part of these restraints was the simpler style and shorter seasons. These could have been enacted well before the movie actually premiered.

The inferior movie was what probably kept the the cartoon around at all.

Yeah, I know.

Another movie will spawn another cartoon.

Drtooth
02-11-2009, 09:05 AM

And let's not forget FF happened mainly because the stupid Paleo Patrol toys were sitting on the shelves... acres of the same 4 turtles and generic plastic dinosaurs that aren't too much different than ones you can find in dollar stores or Museum gift shops... except maybe they had articulation.

I think the main problem is that the movie line had a completely different scale and price point as the regular figures and retailers didn't want to give that allowance to them to let a cartoon and movie line co-exist on the shelves. They aren't Spider-Man, Transformers or Batman, you know...

I mean, look at the old movie toy line.... why was it able to co-exist with the other TMNT toys? Same price point, same scale.

Plus, for some reason, Playmates thinks that the movie toys are their all time best sellers. And they did sell well before the movie and a month or so after.... and sat and sat and sat and sat for 2 years after that.

CyberCubed
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Another movie will spawn another cartoon.

But 4kids still holds the license. If another movie revives interest in the brand, wouldn't they make it in continuity with the current show?

From what Lloyd said in those interviews, he's proud of the "mythology" he created, hence why he made sure FF and BTTS fit in continuity-wise with the previous 5 seasons, he wanted the whole thing connected in one universe.

I hope that if 4kids still holds the license, they just continue where they left off. Change the designs again if they must, but I have no desire to sit through another reboot so soon.

turkishproverb
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
At this pont, even if it was a new continuity, they probably wouldn't have to do an origin or "beginning" right away. The basics are fresh in everyones mind.

Coola Yagami
02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I was always kinda put off by the timing between the movie and FF. I mean for kids just getting into TMNT they'd be seeing the Turtles running around in New York with Casey, April, Karai and Foot, while on TV they'd be in the Future wearing gear they don't use in any other medium and facing all new different villians and such.

But then again way back in TMNT season 3, for some reason I kinda saw it as 'too final' and 'will there be a season 4?'' so when I saw that poster announcing a TMNT movie in 2007, I was like 'shyeah right, will the TMNT still be around 2 years from now?' So um... well... who knows?

doomiscool
02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I was always kinda put off by the timing between the movie and FF. I mean for kids just getting into TMNT they'd be seeing the Turtles running around in New York with Casey, April, Karai and Foot, while on TV they'd be in the Future wearing gear they don't use in any other medium and facing all new different villians and such.

It does confuse children. For a while, there was a TMNT magazine over here (it only lasted 13 issues :() and it had 2 comics in it, a FF one and then a colored part of the movie prequel comics. A few issues in, I remember in the Fan letter bit, a child had asked why they were in the future in one part and not in another (He had even asked his dad who didn't know either...) :ohwell: They tried to explain the difference...but it would still be confusing for a child :|